Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

snograt posted:

Yeah, more Maguuma, woohoo,

Remember in the original Guild Wars, after taking one or two characters through the jungle everyone just skipped it and never bothered with the annoying place ever again?

Or was that just me?
At least the scarabs are extinct or something, good loving riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Seriously how did we move from tropics, jungles, swamps and fields of paddies to a temperate European clime and cultural feel? I blame Ascalon.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Xenix posted:

You're welcome. Also I did some spvp tonight. Apparently killing this guy made him mad.

i think i remember this guy

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm coming back to this game.... after anet lets me recover my account because I don't remember any of my characters names. I always play melee and i have a guardian and warrior at about equal levels(mid 20's), which one has been nerfed less badly?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm coming back to this game.... after anet lets me recover my account because I don't remember any of my characters names. I always play melee and i have a guardian and warrior at about equal levels(mid 20's), which one has been nerfed less badly?
Both are just fine.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Thanks... Is heart of thorns more of a high level thing(something I should wait to buy until i've leveled up) or is it worth picking up at low level?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Bob NewSCART posted:

Thanks... Is heart of thorns more of a high level thing(something I should wait to buy until i've leveled up) or is it worth picking up at low level?
Only if you want to make a revenant I think.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

new pvp trick

the ruse

so you're on foefire and theres an enemy bad guy on far. because the meta is poo poo, it's probably a bunker. you can't kill it, even with 2 people

i hope you have two people though, because the ruse requires two

person 1 runs towards far, but goes past it, while person 2 hides out of sight (maybe at mid). where could person 1 be going? they're attacking the door to the base! quick, mr bunker on far point, go and defend it!

meanwhile, person 2 runs towards far and decaps it while the bunker is off point

thus completes the ruse

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

do you think that would even qualify as japery?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the true ruse is that you're stuck doing pvp for the next 10 minutes

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

A better ruse would be to vote for temple.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Silent storm is always fun because it's amazing how many otherwise-organised teams cannot wrap their heads around it

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Silent Storm is a perfect example of "if you want something done right, do it yourself."

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Don't give Taimi too much credit, it's Scruffy that really put in the legwork.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno, the story is really crippled by the lack of interesting characters either way.

yeah i found it to be pretty lame in general

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

nature posted:

yeah i found it to be pretty lame in general

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The pacing was bad too, just sorta hobbled along.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Dinictus posted:

Seriously how did we move from tropics, jungles, swamps and fields of paddies to a temperate European clime and cultural feel? I blame Ascalon.

Uh

CHIM?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

they can only use her as a crutch for so long

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dinictus posted:

A Dragon Did It.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Illuyankas posted:

Well, let's see, Zhaitan's in Orr, Jormag's in the Far Shiverpeaks, Mordremoth's in Maguuma/Magus Falls, Kralkatorrik's in the Crystal Desert, Selbbub is in the deep sea (where are those underwater dragon minions you said were springing up in rivers Anet), and Primordius is under the Shiverpeaks. Literally no elder dragons are in Kryta. So that's one thing.

I, ok. Fair enough. I mistakenly thought that the continent these places resided in was in fact named kryta, even though the human nation's land is also named kryta. That was incredibly stupid of me. The continent's name is tyria, even though the planet's name is tyria. So it was the continent named after the planet, not the human nation named after the continent.

I was gonna get all smug about it too, but woops.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also they're not fleshing out Kryta, HoT and all new zones are in Maguuma.

So what I'm saying is that I assume anet wanted to pack their maps with content instead of having a lot of large space full of mobs. But the dragons all sit in the same one map we use in-game, which is just part of a larger landmass.

Like, so have you guys seen the giant globe in the order of whispers base? Tyria (the continent) is just one chunk of the world. It's like if tyria (the planet) was earth and all the dragons were hanging around in eastern europe. Except the water dragon, maybe?

I remember when gw2 was released and someone datamined the globe's texture. They fit elona, cantha and the prophecies areas on top of it and there was so much more land to use. I know it's nice to have more content to create later on but holy poo poo why are all the supermassive magical nature forces just lounging on the same porch?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe there's just no more interesting bits, like there's gently caress all elsewhere and its just inhospitable desert and volcano hell ten times worse than anything we've actually seen. Maybe they're hanging around tyria because everywhere else is boring and there's not really any magic. Tyria is the god's ~chosen~ continent so all the cool stuff is there and the rest is just a bit dull.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The answer is probably ley lines or something

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they pulled an elder scrolls and nuked the other, more interesting areas. probably.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It really sucks that Anet has chosen not to make several more continents worth of content, a decision that was made to spite me personally and not the result of real world considerations and practical limits.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I remember that before eotn, or maybe after eotn and before gw2 they were gonna make another stand alone expansion in a jungle somewhere that wasn't maguuma. All I remember that they were going to release a chronomancer class, but canned it as they wanted to make gw2. So why not make poo poo in that area? I think it was going to focus on tengu too, so I dunno. Maybe that's something for the tengu house next to la.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

guild wars: utopia was scrapped and assets from it were used to make eye of the north. chances are that the asuran architecture has leftovers from the mesoamerican influence they were going for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A full blown expansion consists of just 4 zones and you want an entire world fleshed out, just lol

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
No guild wars expansion has ever been set in a different place just loving lol at all this gamer entitlement.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I wouldn't mind huge zones with less actual content like the launch zones. I don't like the direction where every zone has to have a meta event taking over the whole map and be action-packed to the brim. Yes, it ties up with me wanting them to fill as much as the map as possible too.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Probad posted:

No guild wars expansion has ever been set in a different place just loving lol at all this gamer entitlement.

Well there's only every been 2 expansions in the whole series so

But no really, I get to sticking around the one area and fleshing it out. Just why are all the drat dragons in this convenient place? They're forces of nature, technically they should be more spread out right?

Although the dwarves and poo poo managed to put them to sleep, maybe they're all around here because they were converging on that attempt to stop them.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
What happens when we run out of dragons?

Do we go to space?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sprite141 posted:

Well there's only every been 2 expansions in the whole series so

technically eye of the north had more going on, so even by that metric HoT is kinda lackluster

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I just hit 80 on my Revenant last night and I'm not sure what I should do now? I've only ever had one other 80, and I barely did anything endgame related on him in original GW2. So I've mostly only ever leveled random characters in this game. I guess I'm just pretty bad and confused. I bought all Level 80 equipment on the Trading Post. I'm planning on maxing out my trade skills, finishing my Tyria living story, etc. standard straight-forward stuff.

Obviously I need to get a lot of points for Herald spec. Is it easier to do that in old world Tyria via map completion? (I'm assuming yes).

My main issue is that I'm not really sure how to start the HoT content? I went to Silverwastes and there was a lot of stuff going on but it wasn't really designed like other zones and I'm not sure entirely what my goal should be, just roam around and kill stuff? I also went to the Guild Hall and then out a side door to get to some of the central content and promptly got destroyed by something that looked like a prehistoric land shark. So I figured I should probably progress in whatever order the story follows.

I've never run any of the dungeons or fractals so I should probably try to find some groups to run for those.

I guess my issue is that there's a lot of core systems the game runs on that I haven't really thought about or been able to approach other than just straight-forward solo leveling. My bank is literally full of random coins and keys and stuff for poo poo I have no idea what it is for.

Is there any generic all-purpose guide for "being 80, doin' poo poo" that kind of covers this information? It's probably too much to ask anyone poster to try and verse me on. I'm perfectly happy to press on and just try to figure things out, but I feel like at this point I have to do some research or something because I just don't know what I should be doing at max level in this game.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Try this:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2u9fig/so_youre_level_80_in_guild_wars_2_a_communityled/

I'm at work, so I don't know if the Google doc includes HoT, but holy hell does it have a lot of advice.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sprite141 posted:

. Just why are all the drat dragons in this convenient place? They're forces of nature, technically they should be more spread out right?

Dragoncon.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just want to import my AI-controlled heroes from GW1. This game would be a lot better if I had 4-5 NPC mesmers constantly interrupting the poo poo out of all the enemies around me.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Libertine posted:

I just hit 80 on my Revenant last night and I'm not sure what I should do now? I've only ever had one other 80, and I barely did anything endgame related on him in original GW2. So I've mostly only ever leveled random characters in this game. I guess I'm just pretty bad and confused. I bought all Level 80 equipment on the Trading Post. I'm planning on maxing out my trade skills, finishing my Tyria living story, etc. standard straight-forward stuff.

Don't worry about maxing crafting professions unless you really want to make ascended armor/weapons. They're huge gold sinks and aside from the previously-mentioned ascended usage only really useful for turning gold into XP. If you haven't unlocked masteries yet then that XP is entirely wasted, so wait until you do the very first HoT story step before you do much else.

quote:

Obviously I need to get a lot of points for Herald spec. Is it easier to do that in old world Tyria via map completion? (I'm assuming yes).

lol no. HoT HP challenges give you 10 points per and a lot are soloable, where Tyria maps have maybe 7-10 HP on them, total.

quote:

My main issue is that I'm not really sure how to start the HoT content? I went to Silverwastes and there was a lot of stuff going on but it wasn't really designed like other zones and I'm not sure entirely what my goal should be, just roam around and kill stuff? I also went to the Guild Hall and then out a side door to get to some of the central content and promptly got destroyed by something that looked like a prehistoric land shark. So I figured I should probably progress in whatever order the story follows.

Eh, you can get to the HoT zones pretty easily. Just run along the southern edge of the Silverwastes until you pass Amber Sandfall (SW fort), there'll be a door in the rock face that'll take you right to Verdant Brink, the first HoT zone. Do the first story step and then start leveling gliding mastery (if you have any of the +50% XP from all sources boosters, now is the time to use one). Once you get basic gliding, you have access to like 170 (or more!) HP in HoT.

quote:

I've never run any of the dungeons or fractals so I should probably try to find some groups to run for those.

Those are all fun, especially the first few times.

quote:

I guess my issue is that there's a lot of core systems the game runs on that I haven't really thought about or been able to approach other than just straight-forward solo leveling. My bank is literally full of random coins and keys and stuff for poo poo I have no idea what it is for.

Are you in a goon guild? If not, join a goon guild, or even both. Details in the OP are up-to-date. Guild chat will be one of the better places for more detailed questions.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Thanks for pointers guys. Yeah I'm in [GOON] and all my random g-chat questions get answered so I appreciate that as well.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:vince:

This is better lore than anything I've experienced in game.

e. I did my first DS a couple days ago and it's not something I'd like to re-experience. Parts of the event seemed neat but the fun:monotony ratio was way too long for the 90+ minutes of gametime...which is prettymuch exactly what I thought about AB when I did a month ago. Next time I'll do dungeons with Arus instead.

Thanks to the gooms to invited me along all the same :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sprite141 posted:

But no really, I get to sticking around the one area and fleshing it out. Just why are all the drat dragons in this convenient place? They're forces of nature, technically they should be more spread out right?

Is this even true though? I don't remember any of this for sure, but I thought the reason that Cantha and Elona are cut off now had something to do with the rise of the dragons. So, my reasoning goes, since Tyrians have no way to communicate with other areas, they wouldn't be able to know what's going on out there, which would include knowing about the dragon situation in other parts of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Locked thread