Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

spankmeister posted:

It's your own drat fault for speaking a language that uses a three syllable word to describe a single letter.
Man, I wish I spoke a language where the explanation for double-u were that simple.

sixu dot google dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

"triple-dub" for Americans, "treble-dub" for Brits, "trip-dubs" if you still watch hold-em poker. Problem solved.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

bobbilljim posted:

my coworker accidentally said "weeweewee" once and it was the funniest poo poo

I think that co-worker would instantly be saddled with Wee Wee as a nickname because holy poo poo that is hilarious and I don't think I could ever let anyone in the world forget that he said that.

weeweewee? loving-a.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:downs: : yo i have a deleting - spooling print which wont go away
:coal: : Is it affecting production
:downs: : yes
:coal: : i mean of other people
:downs: : no.
:coal: : restart your computer
:downs: : gently caress.
:downs: : fine

:dukedog:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

weeweewee? loving-a.

No I just have to powder my nose. :bigtran:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
double v double v double point
(pronounce "dou-bl-eh")

then there's wuh wuh wuh

or my favourite to piss people off: wub wub wub dot dropthebass

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Remote site has lovely internet connection, so personal devices were blocked from wifi. Users can request their device to be whitelisted and instructions were sent to users on how to find their MAC addresses.

user posted:

I would not like to be paranoiac but it is a weird request. I assume the MAC address will be used to filter who can connect and who can't to our wifi.

However, with a MAC address you can do much more things, some nasty ones. It is only a number, but a very personal and important one. Also, I think it should be treated with much more care and not leave it as a public access as it is now.

Actually, there are websites that can allow me (not someone with big knowledge about informatics) know where that phone/tablet/pc is located, even if it is disconnected from internet or doesn't have GPS active.

I would like to know how and who is going to work with this data, why, and what they are going to do with it after that.
:wth:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm reminded of playing around with the dance eJay demos years ago where you had to put in the sample containing the site URL;

"Heiiich tee tee pee, colon, slash, double-you double-you double-you dohhht eeee jay dohhhht... cohhmmm"

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Tangentially, when did people decide to drop the first period when vocalizing a url? "Hello this is bob. Please go to double u double u double u

*tumbleweed*

*several people are born*

thewebsite dot com! :argh: If you've said a dot you would be done faster! Gah!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

Remote site has lovely internet connection, so personal devices were blocked from wifi. Users can request their device to be whitelisted and instructions were sent to users on how to find their MAC addresses.

Did you know this website can FIND OUT YOUR IP ADDRESS! :ohdear:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bitterandtwisted posted:

I get questions from friends and family members that aren't too far removed from this level of paranoia. Sometimes, when people who don't know how stuff works see the capabilities of the technology it scares the poo poo out of them. Then they turn on the news (or "news", if the person is of a certain age/politics), and see a story that reinforces that. Then they turn on a TV show that tries to do tech (ala NCIS and their absolutely insanely ridiculous "four hands on the keyboard" segment), and it scares even more poo poo out of them.

Couple this fear and low level of understanding with people who are generally pretty smart elsewhere and you have a pretty bizarre combination of factors that turns into insanity like that.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

A ticket came in:

quote:

When changes are pushed to the MASTER branch of test-automation-config this Jenkins build should start and it currently is not.
When changes are pushed to the SNAPSHOT branch of test-automation-config this Jenkins build should start and it currently is not.
I am aware that we need to setup bitbucket hooks, however I'm not entirely clear on exactly which hooks are required or which Urls to use.
Can somebody please correctly setup git hooks for the test-automation-config repo? Thank you!

"I'm to lazy to debug and fix my own issues, please do my job for me and while you are at it upgrade us to web hooks also. Thanks!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Virigoth posted:

A ticket came in:

"I'm to lazy to debug and fix my own issues, please do my job for me and while you are at it upgrade us to web hooks also. Thanks!"

:psyduck:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

KARMA! posted:

Tangentially, when did people decide to drop the first period when vocalizing a url? "Hello this is bob. Please go to double u double u double u

*tumbleweed*

*several people are born*

thewebsite dot com! :argh: If you've said a dot you would be done faster! Gah!

It got to the point that at least one company here was advertising with their url at the end of the radio message, omitting the first period. Some pranksters then registered wwwcompany.com and put up a giant notice on it saying you were at the wrong page and that [company] was stupid. :v:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I remembered that the new hotness in India is to say "3 times W"

bitterandtwisted posted:

"No"

"Also, quit being paranoid"

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm going to start saying "THRICE THE U IS DOUBLED"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Gilok posted:

A prophecy came in:

Thrice the U is doubled, name the demon of Page and Brin, com the storm that clouds your mind. Do this, and the answers you seek shall be revealed.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
"But oracle, all I can see is goatse..."

"That is the vision of your future."

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

:downs: : yo i have a deleting - spooling print which wont go away
:coal: : Is it affecting production
:downs: : yes
:coal: : i mean of other people
:downs: : no.
:coal: : restart your computer
:downs: : gently caress.
:downs: : fine

:dukedog:

A feelgood story for the ages.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If I'm talking to friends I just say "double u dot" because they should understand by now that the other two Ws are implied.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Sorry, why is anyone saying "www" in any fashion? If I say "Go to the website google.com", you can just enter "google.com" and nearly 100% of the time, the "www" is unnecessary.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nexxai posted:

Sorry, why is anyone saying "www" in any fashion? If I say "Go to the website google.com", you can just enter "google.com" and nearly 100% of the time, the "www" is unnecessary.
Sometimes CNAMEs are hard.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

nexxai posted:

Depends on the age of your user population. 30-40 and under, you just need the domain. Older folks sometimes freak out when I try it.

"W-what? No h...t...t...p and all that business? Are you sure? Is this some secret thing you're telling me? Why am I not just going through the regular site? This doesn't match the instructions I was given!"

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
If it makes anyone feel any better, the main newswires in North America (Associated Press and Canadian Press) did away with the "www" ages ago. Big/good marketing companies did so even earlier since it means more time talking about the product. Sometimes stuff pitched to older people will include the W's because that audience is largely ignorant of how the internet works and so they'll not believe it will work without them.

But they will go away eventually, just as the "http://" did. But back in the mid 90's, you could even find printed addresses that had ":80" at the end, so give it time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hihifellow posted:

still better than "squirrel"

Nothing is better than calling it squirrel.

Also: http://no-www.org/

duz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 19, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Gilok posted:

uuuuuuuu.google.com isn't working.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Virigoth posted:

A ticket came in:

"Ran a small test build using my test repo, build started, system working properly" close ticket.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Double down. Tell them any network they connect to can see their MAC, so if they don't want to give it out, don't connect to the network. Problem solved.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mattavist posted:

uuuuuuuu.google.com isn't working.

vvvvvv.google.com does though

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I just had a strange thought as to how different the web would be if addresses were setup like com.google/etc

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I just had a strange thought as to how different the web would be if addresses were setup like com.google/etc

Not very?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"Hi mind my name is Allison and I'm calling from SHITR 90 solutions..."

Lync voice to text, never change. I needed that laugh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sextuple-u

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Entropic posted:

sextuple-u

Hexau?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ilkhan posted:

It would help mitigate phishing issues if subdomain was last and not first. E.g instead of https://www.yourbank.com.dodgymalwaredomain.ru users would see ru.dodgymalwaredomain.com.yourbank.www then maybe a couple less people would give out their credentials.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'd say whiskey whiskey whiskey dot golf oscar oscar golf lima echo dot charlie oscar mike but most of this thread would probably be dreaming of that third whiskey

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A new user request came in.

:question: "Please set up user X, put him in group Y."
:raise: "Okay, done!"
:question: "Why does he have read only access on the files he needs? He should have read and write."
:raise: "Oh, it looks like you changed permissions on those files back in May and made them read only for group Y."
:question: "Why did I do that?"
:raise: "..."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

RE: A ticket came in: No ma'am, I don't know why you did that

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
That reminded me of this: http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/01/19/subject-urgent-warning/

Not sure if a troll or Hanlon's razor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

deimos posted:

That reminded me of this: http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/01/19/subject-urgent-warning/

Not sure if a troll or Hanlon's razor...

I deal with emails from people like this from time to time in my job and this looks like your garden variety crackpot.

• Locked thread