Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Any trip reports from SOS tiki bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

kuskus posted:

Any trip reports from SOS tiki bar?

I've had a couple of friends go and like it so far. I'm a massive tiki nerd, but haven't had time to go over to Decatur to check it out. Goon meet anyone?!

The cocktails looks spot-on.

There's also a new tiki bowling alley opening up sometime in 2016 with tons of retro parlor games too. http://www.bowlihai.com/

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Landrobot posted:

There's also a new tiki bowling alley opening up sometime in 2016 with tons of retro parlor games too. http://www.bowlihai.com/
I heard the owners of Brick Store / Twain's bought & are renovating Suburban Lanes in Decatur, which sounds mighty fine to me. COINCIDENCE? Probably.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
super stoked about new bowling options in atlanta, esp. the twains / suburban revival. I bowled in a monday night league at surburban circa 2008-2011, and it was a ton of fun. I hate that places like midtown lanes, the new fancy miami circle place, 300 on the northside, et cetera are all so ridiculous and overpriced. I'm hoping for a reasonable place, but with a little more expensive (and higher quality) drinks and food. until then, funtime bowl for life.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went to greg best's place in KSM the other day for lunch. had their special 'chicken' sandwich and chatted with greg a bit about the buildout of the place - hadn't ran into him since my gal and I hung out at H&F all the time (not that he actually knows or remembers who I am outside of 'some dude who likes our business' or whatever).

it all looks really nice, the space is beautiful, and the sandwich was decent. it's clear they're still getting poo poo organized and on track. looking forward to having some drinks there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've eaten both lunch and dinner at Ticonderoga Club. The lunch Spiedie was okay and I got a kick out of eaten some Northern specialty food. I rather enjoyed my dinner there where I had the clam roll and some other sides.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, the 'spiedie' - was blanking on the name. like you said, good - but missing something. I thought a bit of tomato would have helped.

I'll have to head over for dinner soon. the cocktail bar place (inside and upstairs) looked really nice

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010
I still don't understand the draw of the 'spiedie', seems like grilled chicken in Italian dressing on a roll. When you say it's "missing something" I think you hit the nail on the head, or maybe I haven't had real one yet (although I've had them made by upstate NY locals).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went to gaja, was pretty decent. well good because they still didn't (don't?) have their liquor license - so extra easy cost-wise. by far the best service I've ever had at a byob place too - dude man was bringing us chilled glasses, kept our wine chilled and topped us up religiously.

food was pretty good and interesting. small plates were indeed small, but no complaints really. I think they're hitting the right price/quality point. check 'em out before they get super trendy/busy!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone been to staplehouse? have been meaning to go but haven't had an occasion yet...

also lusca closed / is undergoing a metamorphosis...

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Been meaning to go to both Gaja and Staplehouse. I've enjoyed the Gaja guy's previous work and Gaja looks fun. I'm glad you liked it enough. Might try to do Staplehouse when my Mom is in town next week.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Went to S.O.S. to join a birthday party and immediately got a punch bowl for the table because I don't see my friend often and there were enough of us to deplete it. The punch bowl's $100, but for that you get the bartender personally querying you about your base booze flavors, bringing it out with special service and special glasses for the group, coming back to ensure the ice block is still cold, and a second round of glasses with ice and decorations after a little while. 9 of us could not complete the punch bowl. It's a delicious well-rounded beverage and it's a lot of bang for your buck. So that's cool. I got the short ribs, and they were delightful. Great crust, fell off the bone. Wings were also very interesting; a lot like Nashville hot chicken but with a tiki twist. Loved the atmosphere, music, decor, service. When they stop serving food you can still order things from Victory since they're connected and open a bit later. Stayed 'til 3a. Oops.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Has anyone been to Ladybird Grove & Mess Hall? Is it worth short-listing for my 3 or 4 days in Atlanta next week?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance, reserve an afternoon or evening and plan something like this:
-Start at Krog St. Market, maybe get a draft from Hop City while you walk around and try other snacks or dishes to split (Ticonderoga Club, Fred's Meat & Bread, Yalla, whatever you fancy)
-Walk half a block to the Beltline and stop almost immediately at Ladybird and see if anything interests you; unless you just want some definitely decent gastropub snacks and a beer, I would move on.
-Keep walking North towards Ponce City Market, & check out all their wares. Some great buns, popsicle cocktails, oysters, poboys, burgs, etc.

Just that 1mi walk & you can do a lot of exploration / damage checking out ~20 places.

Did anybody do the beltline pub crawl? I was not impressed. Parish had nothing on site, just colored cheap tequila shots on the beltline sidewalk. I asked Venkman's to make me a cocktail and it held up the free shot line for about 3 extra minutes. Two things happened: the people wanting their free shot raged out, the bartender thanked me for giving him something to do. No balance in this event, would not do again.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ate at Staplehouse. It was excellent. Ordered one of everything on the a la carte menu.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
We got an outback steakhouse giftcard for Christmas, so the wife and I went and ate at one in... Druid Hills? I think.

I'm... upset that the prime rib my wife ordered was genuinely tasty. She got it garlic pepper style- I didn't expect it to be something so enjoyable.

The steak (bone-in ribeye with bourbon bacon) I ordered was also better than I remembered Outback being, years ago when I was last at one. I don't think the bacon really added anything though.

The worst thing was probably just the water, it was definitely just tap water with ice. I've spoiled myself with my water filter.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I lived in Marietta since '92, and two months ago moved down to Reynoldstown. Best. Decision. Ever.

It's been fun finding all the good food locations near by. This weekend I had an Uber driver tell me that her friends had told her that Gu's in Krog St Market had the best dumplings in Atlanta. That's a pretty bold statement so I walked over Saturday afternoon to test it out. Not that I have had many other dumplings in Atlanta, but they were pretty loving badass dumplings. Skip the Dan-Dan noodles, however - mediocre at best. Next time I will do a full order of dumplings instead of a half + noodles.

For pizza - I have started to really like Cabbage Pie on Carroll St.

I was still spoiled in Marietta of all places by Peace, Love and Pizza. I STILL miss it. By far the best pizza I have had in my life - but Cabbage Pie is pretty dang good. Certainly better than the others I have tried downtown.

+1 for Swapna and Vatica for Indian. Been eating at both for over a decade now. I remember when Vatica first opened. The owner is hilarious and always pokes fun at me for being with a different girl every time I am in there. I still work near Swapna so we hit it up for lunch sometimes.

Have not found good Chinese yet. Recommendations? I tend to prefer the spicier side: Szechuan / Hunan. Ma-Po Tofu is usually my "test dish" for trying a new place for the first time.

My go-to was Tasty China in Marietta which is Peter Chang's side project restaurant. So good and SO much heat on the spicy stuff. The only thing they do badly is your boring Americanized dishes. ie - if you go for Chinese and order General Tso's or Sesame Chicken - that's not the place. They excell at weirder stuff. The Hunan Fish is amazing, as are the Dan-Dan Noodles and the Salt & Pepper Tofu.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

HaB posted:

My go-to was Tasty China in Marietta which is Peter Chang's side project restaurant.

Jia opened recently at Ponce City Market, which is from the Tasty China people.

http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/9/25/9398577/jia-ponce-city-market-hours-menu

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I hate to poo poo on cabbage pie since I live in the neighborhood, but really, really not a fan of their pizza. Have given them 5 tries now since they opened. :( For some reason the pizza they donate/bring to the CNIA meetings is really good though, so maybe I'm just always going on bad nights? Crust and sauce are always abysmal, are my main complaints. What has grown on you about the place? maybe I'll give your order a try...

That said, I really like Camelli's, so I'm not sure if that invalidates my pizza opinion. My pizza opinions may be invalid, I'll admit.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

mindphlux posted:

I hate to poo poo on cabbage pie since I live in the neighborhood, but really, really not a fan of their pizza. Have given them 5 tries now since they opened. :( For some reason the pizza they donate/bring to the CNIA meetings is really good though, so maybe I'm just always going on bad nights? Crust and sauce are always abysmal, are my main complaints. What has grown on you about the place? maybe I'll give your order a try...

That said, I really like Camelli's, so I'm not sure if that invalidates my pizza opinion. My pizza opinions may be invalid, I'll admit.

I go with a slice of the Greek, and a slice of the Dream. On the Dream, tho - tell them to skip the drizzle. The pizza is basically a meat fest, but for some reason on that pizza they put a cream cheese / spinach drizzle on it. It's about 247 times better without that poo poo.

Don't go into the Greek pizza expecting the standard. It has a LOT of stuff on it, including chicken, but I gave it a shot and it's quite good, albeit somewhat busy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
the dream was the first slice / half a pizza I had there at their grand opening :( whyyyy cream cheese whyyyy

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

the dream was the first slice / half a pizza I had there at their grand opening :( whyyyy cream cheese whyyyy

There's a lot of Atlanta restaurants that "don't get it" :confuoot:

In other news, Beetlecat just opened. The menu looks pretty sweet, so I'll try to hit it this weekend.
http://www.beetlecatatl.com/

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Landrobot posted:

There's a lot of Atlanta restaurants that "don't get it" :confuoot:

In other news, Beetlecat just opened. The menu looks pretty sweet, so I'll try to hit it this weekend.
http://www.beetlecatatl.com/

Don't tell Mindphlux that a certain chef is somehow associated with the place.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'AM ANGRY ABOUT BEETL;ES

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo Ponce City Market is loving packed tonight.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

Holy poo poo Ponce City Market is loving packed tonight.

Hey, speaking of, whenever Boti opens up at Ponce City Market, we need to plan a goon meet dinner there. I can arrange it for their opening weekend / weeknight since I can pull strings. It'll probably be early February when they finally open. I also helped film their first TV commercial, so I'll post the video here when it's done with editing :)

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

This nicely sums up all future restaurant openings in town:

https://www.zagat.com/b/atlanta/the-most-hotly-anticipated-atlanta-restaurants-of-2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Did the Jan 1st Brunch at Venkman's. Man, that lady mixes a badass Bloody Mary. They make their own Bloody Mary mix in house and it shows. Been a long tie since I was tipsy before noon. :v:

The food was good - particularly the Home Fries. Even the grits which I usually prefer as simplistic as possible, were good with whatever fancypants cheese they put in them

thumbs up.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

HaB posted:

Did the Jan 1st Brunch at Venkman's. Man, that lady mixes a badass Bloody Mary. They make their own Bloody Mary mix in house and it shows. Been a long tie since I was tipsy before noon. :v:

The food was good - particularly the Home Fries. Even the grits which I usually prefer as simplistic as possible, were good with whatever fancypants cheese they put in them

thumbs up.

I'm not much into breakfast food (but I love going to brunch), and I've done brunch at Venkman's twice and enjoyed it both times. I really want that duck egg hash again.

On an unrelated note, I ate dinner again at Ticonderoga Club and loved it. The spiced pork confit is like a deconstructed taco and is so drat delicious. The other standout was the grilled foie gras.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The wife and I went back to Atlanta and had custard from Rock's Chicken in Phipps Plaza. Then we spent all night taking turns throwing up, so we really didn't get too culinarily adventurous for the rest of the trip.

Five stars, would contract Rotavirus again.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've heard good things about Venkmans from several people. Gonna try it next.

Safety Dance posted:

The wife and I went back to Atlanta and had custard from Rock's Chicken in Phipps Plaza. Then we spent all night taking turns throwing up, so we really didn't get too culinarily adventurous for the rest of the trip.

Five stars, would contract Rotavirus again.

:negative:

we gave you some suggestions even!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
As both are about as far away at an hour to hour and a half'ish despite one being I guess technically outside a bit: Who comes out on top between apparently, as of late, the only Nancy's left in the state period/luckily still has dine-in capabilities and the Chicago Pizza & Sports Grill under dramatically new management when it comes down to questing for deep dish pizza that isn't out of an Uno's chilled box at a grocery store? Unless there's some other contenders that I've somehow completely missed out on in this depressingly....uncrowded...field?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I can't say I'm a proponent of deep dish pizza, but maybe 3-4 years ago after a trip to Chicago I got this unyeilding morbid fascination with its disgustingness, and tried to see if I could find a place in Atlanta that served it. There was some place at the Lindbergh Marta station that was all Chicago themed and offered some up, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. Wasn't half bad. I'd be interested if you find a good place.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, checking the websites of the above 2 paint about as rosy a picture as you'd be liable to find---and it really does seem like that might be the only pair in the state outright, not even Atlanta and the surrounding areas like Smyrna for the more overtly Chicago place. Virtually everybody in this thread is closer to the action, as it were, than I...so yeah, I suppose if adventure avails then those options are more visible before you.

Deep dish is definitely something of an acquired taste, perhaps one of the few foods that actually feed on existing expectations if down with more traditional regional pizza styles one way or another. Can't find the Uno's often in stores and I'm not about to drop $50 or whatever on trying to get Malnati's or Giordano's in the mail...

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
-

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 5, 2020

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

ExiledTinkerer posted:

As both are about as far away at an hour to hour and a half'ish despite one being I guess technically outside a bit: Who comes out on top between apparently, as of late, the only Nancy's left in the state period/luckily still has dine-in capabilities and the Chicago Pizza & Sports Grill

I've really enjoyed every pizza I've gotten from Nancy's. It's a shame they've all gone away. It's the only deep dish I've had though, so I can't say how good it is at being a deep dish comparatively.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

RHIN0002 posted:

If you're willing to travel a bit, there's a Rosati's (http://www.myrosatis.com/) right off 400 on Peachtree Parkway just south of Cumming. It's about a half-hour haul from North Atlanta. Their deep dish is solid and they've got a great draft beer selection to boot.

Cool, that's another bookmark for the eventual dream pile. Ah, that feeling of being a bit over an hour south of Atlanta~ That brings us up to 3, count 'em, 3 deep dish places in the entire state of GA!

My hope with Nancy's is that they are just re-consolidating their efforts into the core location, because otherwise that's a pretty extreme drop considering that, per my recollection prior to their most recent site redesign, there used to be like 4-5 other locations even if they were more carry out/delivery(?) inclined. Then again, well, restaurants that have been in Atlanta for decades going under despite inherent quality offerings? Now you're just talking crazy!....

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright I just gotta cross post this because

well ok so I don't really have to cross post it but holy poo poo the size of these things

mindphlux posted:

a friend of my bro-in-law in portland found a shitload of truffles at a farmers market for cheap and mailed him a bunch. gave me a couple of his "leftover truffles" ? ? ?

typical tuesday night dinner u know, nothin fancy :unsmith:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The farmer's market at Portland State University on Sat mornings is a sprawling thing of beauty and there are multiple mushroom vendors. While you can indeed get a "good deal" on morels & truffles, they're never dirt cheap. I think he just wanted to share the wealth or ran out of ideas with his bounty. I'm absolutely getting some when I'm there in March and finding a kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

So excited for a new beer garden.