Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mooseontheloose posted:

Already put 33 hours into this game over winter break. naval combat/navies is the biggest thing I am having an issue with as well as how to use merchants. I am playing as Castille, set one of my merchants to collect trade in seville to get some money but not quite how trade transfer is suppose to work in your favor.

On the other hand, as Castille, I am now the proud owner of Massachusetts Bay!

I wrote a quick little blurb on Trade here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&pagenumber=215&perpage=40#post452083520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah I'm sure the AI (and especially the Ottomans, being a lucky nation) has some sort of hidden diplomatic advantage with these sort of things. The good news is that they can't integrate them unless they get within coring distance, just make sure that they don't reach the caspian sea.

No, they do not.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's probably more that the AI tries to vassalize people instead of assuming it's impossible except for a few edges cases. I know I sure don't check these days. Ever since the development change it's like economic strength is a permanent -100 or something. I don't know why, say, Theodoro would have -60 economic to a 700 development Muscovy but it happens a lot to me.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The tooltip is very clear about what is preventing diplo vassalization, distance between borders and economic strength being the main factors. Given a high dip ruler and an adviser it isn't hard at all to vassalize sub 40 development minors.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Already put 33 hours into this game over winter break. naval combat/navies is the biggest thing I am having an issue with as well as how to use merchants. I am playing as Castille, set one of my merchants to collect trade in seville to get some money but not quite how trade transfer is suppose to work in your favor.

On the other hand, as Castille, I am now the proud owner of Massachusetts Bay!

Big ships murder everything, galleys are super cheap and get combat bonii in closed seas like the Mediterranean or the Baltic. Light ships are mostly fodder for your heavy ships.

For trade: every province produces an amount of a tradegood, which in turn has an inherent trade value. That contributes to the value of the trade node the province is in. Merchants pulling trade from that zone will suck up some of its value to the node they are redirecting to down the trade stream. So with trade what you do is that you try to pull in value from rich nodes towards your own.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wiz posted:

No, they do not.

I could've sworn lucky AI nations had a bonus to diplomatic reputation, oh well.

Tahirovic posted:

Given a high dip ruler and an adviser it isn't hard at all to vassalize sub 40 development minors.

What? The diplomatic skill of your ruler has something to do with diplovassalizing? Are you sure about that?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am pretty sure your ruler's Diplomatic skill adds to your diplomatic reputation.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tahirovic posted:

I am pretty sure your ruler's Diplomatic skill adds to your diplomatic reputation.

It doesn't.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That seems weird, I had republic games where I could only diplo vassalize after a reelection. I always assumed diplomatic annexations go faster with higher dip skill too.

Was this changed recently with the Dip rep overhaul?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think dip rep has even been changed since before Art of War, unless you count annexing vassals giving you a negative dip rep modifier.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Diplomatic vassalization of small states is still pretty possible and a lot of the time it's in surprising situations. I've definitely had a couple times checking out random small nations two or three countries off my border with different religions (and probably a little bit of AE) that would be willing to join me if I just raised our relations to 190.

It's not *every* country but it's not like it's a freak anomaly either. (Racing through the Netherlands to diplovassal everyone as either France or Britain is one of my favorite things about either county, for example.)

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Khiva is a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces so it's not that much of a stretch.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/689428071611379712
Hurray!

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What's a good first idea group for Kazan?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Admin is the best, hands down, purely for the coring discount.

If you don't take Admin, take Humanist.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Thanks.

Also,

I've never had this happen to me before. Not that I'm complaining!

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

The tooltip is very clear about what is preventing diplo vassalization, distance between borders and economic strength being the main factors. Given a high dip ruler and an adviser it isn't hard at all to vassalize sub 40 development minors.

Economic strength is about as unclear as it gets. It's impossible to figure out what it means and why some shifty OPM thinks they have a better economic base unless you read the wiki.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I think I had one of my most enjoyable games recently, playing as Lucca and doing the Lucky Lucca achievement. I got to see such sights as
Ottoman Wismar

Tlemceni South Africa

A really powerful USA

And Ottoman Russia

I guess this is what happens when Russia is almost gone and so is Austria. Frankfurt and Holstein are the only real powers left in the HRE, the rest are pretty much eaten by the Ottomans and Poland. All in all a great game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Admin is the best, hands down, purely for the coring discount.

If you don't take Admin, take Humanist.

I would advice against Humanist as first and go for Influence instead, if you're not going for Admin. It is easier to get the NI core discount that way, which will make it easier to get Admin as second.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Bishop Rodan posted:

Thanks.

Also,

I've never had this happen to me before. Not that I'm complaining!

This has happened to me a few times but I have no idea what goes in to a country giving me subsidies. It seemed to have happened most often when I was a small power helping a large ally in a war.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've nearly finished my first game as Bavaria->Germany. It's 1803 or so and I have a coalition of...well, just about all of central Europe + France against me. On the other hand, I have 200k manpower and a 200+ force limit, so I think I might just go to war with everyone to cap things off.

I also got Ottoman Russia in my game. The Commonwealth basically wiped the floor with all of Eastern Europe in my game, and the Ottomans are everywhere else.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How all my theodoro games end

Sweet alliance, lituania and ottomans. pretty quick to forgive the people who killed your king.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm mad. That run was going really good.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dorkopotamis posted:

This has happened to me a few times but I have no idea what goes in to a country giving me subsidies. It seemed to have happened most often when I was a small power helping a large ally in a war.
If you're small and someone large hates whoever you're at war with and doesn't hate you they will frequently subsidise you. Venice, Austria and/or Poland will all sometimes give you subsidies while beating up the Ottomans, for example. It's possible but rarer to get subsidies even when the subsidising country is of a similar size to you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Cool survival tip though. Keep claims on you're potential enemies. 20% warscore per revokation is crazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Cool survival tip though. Keep claims on you're potential enemies. 20% warscore per revokation is crazy.

Fun fact: if you make an enemy revoke their claims on your allies, you gain a bunch of favors as if you'd given them land.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Koramei posted:

I just said "gently caress it" and gave every single province in my country to them, and have been sitting under tribal dominance ever since.

this was working fine for centuries, but I just tried to finally reform and discovered it was in fact an Extremely Bad Idea. Curtailing the tribes needs them to be sub-60 influence, and since you get so many provinces by the end, and each province only gives like .3-.4 influence, you have to revoke hundreds to get them below that level, by which time their loyalty will have totally bottomed out, so every single province spawns a rebel stack. But that's not even the worst part (you can just strategically spawn the stacks and have them wipe instantly, even if it is a pain in the rear end)- since the provinces are disloyal, the tribes will inevitably rise up fully as a few months of unrest tick by, at which point I found myself with probably a million men in rebels, stretching from eastern europe all the way to southeast asia. and tribal stacks don't wipe after one battle like most rebels do.

I'd been practically doing a pseudo-world conquest at that point though and was thoroughly bored, so it added a whole lot of tension towards the end of the campaign which was nice. I guess.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

this was working fine for centuries, but I just tried to finally reform and discovered it was in fact an Extremely Bad Idea. Curtailing the tribes needs them to be sub-60 influence, and since you get so many provinces by the end, and each province only gives like .3-.4 influence, you have to revoke hundreds to get them below that level, by which time their loyalty will have totally bottomed out, so every single province spawns a rebel stack. But that's not even the worst part (you can just strategically spawn the stacks and have them wipe instantly, even if it is a pain in the rear end)- since the provinces are disloyal, the tribes will inevitably rise up fully as a few months of unrest tick by, at which point I found myself with probably a million men in rebels, stretching from eastern europe all the way to southeast asia. and tribal stacks don't wipe after one battle like most rebels do.

I'd been practically doing a pseudo-world conquest at that point though and was thoroughly bored, so it added a whole lot of tension towards the end of the campaign which was nice. I guess.

That's actually kind of cool. It incentivizes pre-emptively curtailing the tribes as a prelude to reform. I wonder if that analogy could be extended to any kind of major country reformation?

It may fall into the "things experts find difficult are effectively impossible to new players" bin that Wiz tries to avoid though. Although in this case it's different because you knowingly got yourself into it.

For this reason I think it might be cool to make "dominance by <x>" not really a penalty, maybe even a specialized bonus, with the understanding that if you try to do something that requires you to rein in that estate, you're going to have a bad time.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

On the topic of new mapmodes, is there a such thing as an industrial mapmode (ie, which provinces have manufactories and which ones don't). It would be neat to have something like that so you know which provinces have them without ever having to check manually.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

My Jihad has gone about as well as it possibly could go so far:

Persia is my vassal, I sniped four provinces to release them from off of the Timurids because after the tribes took over they disbanded their army completely for a good five years. Mega Medri Bahri happened because everyone in the region kept declaring on them and Ethiopia bailed them out each time.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Dibujante posted:

That's actually kind of cool. It incentivizes pre-emptively curtailing the tribes as a prelude to reform. I wonder if that analogy could be extended to any kind of major country reformation?

It may fall into the "things experts find difficult are effectively impossible to new players" bin that Wiz tries to avoid though. Although in this case it's different because you knowingly got yourself into it.

For this reason I think it might be cool to make "dominance by <x>" not really a penalty, maybe even a specialized bonus, with the understanding that if you try to do something that requires you to rein in that estate, you're going to have a bad time.

I think it's more of a sign that it's dumb to keep tribes past 1550ish, better to remove all their influence before that and live with the -2 horde unity. You will have a higher income and by that point you should have enough manpower. Tribes estate scales really badly and I am not sure it will be better with the next patch. That it fucks up the AI is just one more reason to add an option to disable estates until they are fixed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Some time ago I purchased a EUIV pack with some DLCs, I tried learning EUIII but I seem incredibly bad at paradox games, there's any learning resource for stupid newbies to this game? Especially the economy, I seem to be incapable to understand it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Fun fact: if you make an enemy revoke their claims on your allies, you gain a bunch of favors as if you'd given them land.

What. Okay. That's nice to know.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

On the topic of new mapmodes, is there a such thing as an industrial mapmode (ie, which provinces have manufactories and which ones don't). It would be neat to have something like that so you know which provinces have them without ever having to check manually.

If you click the building in the construction menu (one of the tabs in the giant left menu where you make army and navy templates) then you can see which provinces are eligible for a particular building and which provinces have them already.

I don't think that's quite what you're looking for but it might be close?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

Some time ago I purchased a EUIV pack with some DLCs, I tried learning EUIII but I seem incredibly bad at paradox games, there's any learning resource for stupid newbies to this game? Especially the economy, I seem to be incapable to understand it.

The wiki is quite informative about mechanics. Really the way to learn EU4, or any of the other Paradox grand strategy games, is to jump in feet first. Mess around a bit and when you encounter something you don't understand go right to the wiki. For your first few games maybe pick a part of the game you want to focus on and learn better. Portugal for instance is a great nation to learn how colonization works, and it can also be a good nation to learn how trade works. But really just jump in and start experimenting, after a while you'll start to feel more comfortable.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I haven't played this game in ages and was wondering, is maritime or naval a decent idea group? I'm playing as Tunis and my theory is: if I can keep control of the Mediterranean, then countries like Castille and Portugal will have difficulty in wars against me.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Angry Lobster posted:

The learn to play by playing advice never clicked with me. Instead, check out arumba on youtube. He has a million runs and explains himself as he goes. Ddrjake is a better player and is good too, but maybe not as newbie friendly

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Freakus posted:

I haven't played this game in ages and was wondering, is maritime or naval a decent idea group? I'm playing as Tunis and my theory is: if I can keep control of the Mediterranean, then countries like Castille and Portugal will have difficulty in wars against me.

Maritime and building a ton of galleys is a pretty good plan. Get an actual military idea rather than Naval because you're gonna need to fight land battles too.

Quality is a good pick in general and gives you some good naval bonuses as well. I'd suggest Maritime + Quality over Naval.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Angry Lobster posted:

What about the economy is confusing you? Trade in general is rough to explain but we can probably answer any questions you have here.

Freakus posted:

Go maritime and spam galleys, choke the seas. Don't take naval, use your mil points for land ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Freakus posted:

Maritime is good, while Naval is very bad, only because a real (land) military idea line would serve you much better. A big galley fleet will take you a long way in the Med, but are useless in the Atlantic, where the Iberians will be able to offload troops from at will. Or if Portugal conquers a bunch of Moroccan territory, they'll be able to start with their army in Africa already, and your fleet won't be able to save you. That said, don't neglect your navy. Every stack you take down at sea is a huge victory.

ImPureAwesome posted:

The learn to play by playing advice never clicked with me. Instead, check out arumba on youtube. He has a million runs and explains himself as he goes. Ddrjake is a better player and is good too, but maybe not as newbie friendly

This might come down to how you like to learn. Personally I find that just jumping in and failing a bunch is a better to way to learn anything, and when you're playing a game, it's more fun for you to actually play than watch someone else do it.

But if you want to watch some LPs, Arumba is definitely a good starter, DDRJake is of course awesome at the game, but most of his uploads are him exploiting every gimmick he can find, which will just bewilder a new player, and those techniques tend to be rapidly patched out.

• Locked thread