Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Danaru posted:

I said don't shoot the pod, since I was in the pod, and am very vulnerable to bullets since I'm made of meat and not metal

You can take a couple bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
This was relevant a few videos but this just popped up in the fan art thread and I thought someone would appreciate it here.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I don't think shooting the pod causes damage to the person inside of it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No, it doesn't. Pretty sure that extends the time the person in the pod gets to rip out hard drives and memory boards.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, doesn't shooting it make more of one kind of circuitboard pop out?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Krysmphoenix posted:

I don't think shooting the pod causes damage to the person inside of it?

ChaosArgate posted:

No, it doesn't. Pretty sure that extends the time the person in the pod gets to rip out hard drives and memory boards.

Dabir posted:

Oh what the gently caress :shepface:

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

ChaosArgate posted:

Dabir posted:

Good job Dan, we coulda gotten more parts if you'd given me the right orders

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Grace posted:

The only order you've listened to so far in this LP was "don't shoot the container I'm inside", and that includes the episodes I haven't released yet. Do I even need to mention your sins in episode 9

In fact I'm still convinced you only accidentally followed this order because Pupa was wrecking you too hard for you to get a shot off

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grace posted:

When in doubt, riddle dan with bullets, only good things can happen

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bowl him over too. Never not bowl your buddies over.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

When in doubt, riddle dan with bullets, only good things can happen

Here's a relevant sneak preview I put on twitter a while back

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Danaru posted:

In fact I'm still convinced you only accidentally followed this order because Pupa was wrecking you too hard for you to get a shot off

You guys should really be capturing Grace's video too, so you can intercut it with Dan's feed when things like this are dramatically different.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Skrewtape posted:

You guys should really be capturing Grace's video too, so you can intercut it with Dan's feed when things like this are dramatically different.

Seconding this. You two struggling with Pupa was adorable :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have something planned involving that, although for a somewhat different reason :v:

Also I think we did pretty well the second time considering we're both going in blind :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker Episode 8 - Wee Anime Child

I do not like these garotte-men. Not one bit.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Ahh Kojima, lover of all hinds, anything from D, to B.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A cataract is another word for waterfall too.

You can kind of see where the game really, really wants you to do the Extra Ops. Like by now I think they expect you to have the RPG.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quoting from the mgs5 thread in Games: Make sure you vote on whether or not Kojima should shave his cool beard!

EmmyOk posted:

Kojima taking a vote on whether or not he should Shave.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/690069867689611264

spoiler: the correct answer is he should not, beards make most men look cooler

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

A cataract is another word for waterfall too.

You can kind of see where the game really, really wants you to do the Extra Ops. Like by now I think they expect you to have the RPG.

Looks like we're just too good for that :smugbert: with that said yeah extra ops might be on the menu next chance we get.

Also agreed, bearded Punished Kojima is the correct choice.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Nobody likes it when Raiden gets the shaver. :colbert:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Sober Dan explains he's going to cut away to handle Mother Base management.

Seconds later, a very drunk Dan is slurring about pandas. How much time/alcohol did you cut out? :v:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Here, have some wikipedia links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_for_Peace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rica#20th_century

quote:

The victorious rebels formed a government junta that abolished the military altogether, and oversaw the drafting of a new constitution by a democratically elected assembly.[36] Having enacted these reforms, the junta relinquished its power on November 8, 1949, to the new democratic government. After the coup d'état, Figueres became a national hero, winning the country's first democratic election under the new constitution in 1953.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ZeeToo posted:

Sober Dan explains he's going to cut away to handle Mother Base management.

Seconds later, a very drunk Dan is slurring about pandas. How much time/alcohol did you cut out? :v:

About three quarters of a bottle of Tideview, and enough time that I had to stop the timer to not feel guilty about it :v:

We recently did a couple bonus episodes where we listen to everyone's cassette tapes (Miller's is just under an hour :shepface:), and I think it's during Amanda's where a large portion is just Amanda talking about Central America while we fact checked it. I learned a lot, Grace was halfway through a bottle of rum so he probably forgot it all.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Danaru posted:

About three quarters of a bottle of Tideview, and enough time that I had to stop the timer to not feel guilty about it :v:

We recently did a couple bonus episodes where we listen to everyone's cassette tapes (Miller's is just under an hour :shepface:), and I think it's during Amanda's where a large portion is just Amanda talking about Central America while we fact checked it. I learned a lot, Grace was halfway through a bottle of rum so he probably forgot it all.

every word amanda said all i remember is she's a fuckin downer

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Danaru posted:

Grace was halfway through a bottle of rum so he probably forgot it all.

They say you remember things that you learn when drunk if you get drunk again so just get Grace liquored up if he ever goes on Jeopardy or whatever and he'll be fine.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Looking forward to the bonus episodes.

Also, a slight derail about the whole "Costa Rica has no army" thing:

When people in Canada/USA think of a civil war, they tend to go towards the "two sides almost equally armed, in large scale battles". Whereas in Central/Latin America, it's been more of "the corrupt government cracks down on their discontented population/rebels by using the Army".

So it's more like the Peace Sentinels vs. Amanda's rebels kind of civil war. Under that light, it makes total sense that Costa Rica got rid of their Army.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
It's really convenient how that pilotless, shot-up helicopter managed to make a perfect landing on that tiny, rocky outcrop.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker Episode 9 - Determination

"Don't stop recording, I'll reboot my laptop and no one will even notice" --Grace forgetting it takes like SEVENTEEN YEARS to reboot that thing

I'm pretty sure we have the Discord thing sorted out so this shouldn't become a suddenly solo LP anymore thanks grace for so many reasons

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm totally blind here on Peace Walker, but I think the description of the cardboard tank is saying that it has a stun gun on top of the regular Love Box, so that the player in the back can shoot people while the player in the front walks around in it? Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

All of your poo poo was totes square at the time, if we're counting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That helicopter pad's a hexagon :v:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SSNeoman posted:

That helicopter pad's a hexagon :v:

Octagon :colbert:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
An octogon is just two squares cut over each other.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That was just a cover story issued by the Pentagon :v:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Catching up on Peace Walker (by which I mean just starting it) now. Dan's weird opinions on Russian continue to be great. "What's up with Js by the why--like in Russian they're pronounced like Y... No uh... Maybe... I don't remember."

This sort of makes sense. Russian doesn't have Js or even a character that resembles a J in their alphabet. English loanwords/names with a J get converted to Дж, e.g. James > Джеймс/Dzheyms. This actually makes a decent amount of sense as the typical English consonant J is indeed /d͡ʒ/, which is close enough to /dʐ/.

Polish does have Js that correspond to /j/, but that is somewhat confusingly the IPA for a palatal approximate (i.e. the y in English "you") rather than the voiced palato-alveolar sibilant affricate /d͡ʒ/ ("j" as in "jump"). It also has Ys that correspond to a vowel (ы) in Russian that does not exist as a common phoneme in most English dialects.

Russian does have Ьs everywhere, which resembles an English/Latin lowercase B, but actually sounds like an English consonant Y, albeit not pronounced, as it can only be used to modify another consonant, when the consonant needs to be pronounced as if it preceded a palatalizing vowel. The IPA for this is, of course, / ʲ/. Much of this stems from Slavic languages' various evolutionary paths from Old Church Slavonic ъ (ѥръ, jerŭ) and ь (ѥрь, jerĭ), which of course are sort of y/j sounds depending on a lot of things.

tl;dr is that as ridiculous as the whole language parasite plot element was in TPP, it actually sort of makes sense if you try to wrap your brain around whatever the gently caress Kojima was trying to get at/has been trying to get at. But don't try to wrap your brain around Kojima logic, it will hurt. Patrjots.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ja ji ju je jo. ja ji ju je jo. ja ji ju je jo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Yack, jou're gryayt(j)!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

This is cool as hell, also for transparency's sake I feel I should mention I was thinking of the Nordic soft J like in the word "fjord". :cripes: I was very drunk at the time

I am now too, but also loving spoilers we S ranked Peace Walker's first form and did a lot of other awesome poo poo tonight so I'm feeling fairly clear minded right now :v:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I love that every time Snake meets someone he just spews random bs on who he is.

List so far:
  • Photographer
  • Bug guy
  • Bird dude

What's next yoga instructor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Soliton...radar?