Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

dynasty warriors seemed like a budget shovelware series back when i played it on xbox 1 (the first xbox) and then i tried hyrule warriors and wondered who keeps giving koei tecmo money for this poo poo???

then i realised they can probably do whatever they want from all the ninja gaiden rereleases and DOA bikini costumes

Hyrule Warriors (Wii U, not that sad 3DS port) might be the best Zelda game in the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Link Between Worlds :cmon:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The funny thing about Destiny lore is it's been 1.5 years and we still don't really know what the Traveler is, what it did for humans, or who the Stranger is and we may never know.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Link Between Worlds :cmon:

:yeah: it was my favorite Zelda game in a long time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

bloodychill posted:

The funny thing about Destiny lore is it's been 1.5 years and we still don't really know what the Traveler is, what it did for humans, or who the Stranger is and we may never know.

:yeah: it was my favorite Zelda game in a long time.

We know who the Stranger is, she's a remnant of an older version of Destiny's story who probably should have been cut out entirely but was left in because they already made the character model, so might as well use it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Judge Tesla posted:

We know who the Stranger is, she's a remnant of an older version of Destiny's story who probably should have been cut out entirely but was left in because they already made the character model, so might as well use it.

If only they had the time to explain why they didn't have the time to explain.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Twitch streams are busted and not viewable under Live from PlayStation. I don't know if this is a problem or an improvement.

I know about the Twitch app, but this is an odd problem, seeing that YouTube and uStream stuff have no problems.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Destiny is a fun shootmans game but the story is non existent. It's like they looked at the codex stuff in Mass Effect and went "hey, people seem to like having all this extended story and lore in their games, let's do that!" but then decided to present literally 99% of the actual storyline in that form. Then removed it from the game entirely and put it on a website instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. There's never been a Cabal-focused content drop so there's not a lot on them yet but yeah, they're the "super-strict military hierarchy" sci-fi archetype.

Yep.

The Taken are what you get when Oryx uses the power personally granted only to him by the Darkness (he literally went and asked it and got this in return) on the other races.

I assume the cabal will have dlc eventually, they have done one for all the others. I assumed the Taken were alot like those dudes in the sanaterum in bioshock infinte. where they were basically shown every possible version of themselves at ones and now only sorta exist dimension as flickering half insane shade.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Destiny is a fun shootmans game but the story is non existent. It's like they looked at the codex stuff in Mass Effect and went "hey, people seem to like having all this extended story and lore in their games, let's do that!" but then decided to present literally 99% of the actual storyline in that form. Then removed it from the game entirely and put it on a website instead.

pretty much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Them putting that info only on the website makes me think of the 90s tech bubble. It's not a positive association.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I've never played a Drake game before and I just started the first game in the trilogy that came with my system this Christmas. I just want to plow through the story on easy in order to get through the games to see what all the fuss is about. Is there any reason to crank up the difficulty? Like a secret level, boss, or ending that is only accessible on normal or expert?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless you regularly enjoy getting your balls crushed in a vice then no, there's not much point playing the Uncharted games on higher difficulties. Certainly not the first one, anyway.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No, just trophies. I played the trilogy on easy because I hated the gunfights and never wanted to do them twice if I could avoid it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good to know. I've also got The Last of Us on deck, does the same apply?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you want to play TLoU like an actual survival horror hard is the way to go, if you mainly want to be able to run n gun your way through and not have to worry about supplies too much play on normal. Other than that the only thing you get for higher difficulties are trophies again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also if you're going to play The Last of Us on higher difficulties, learn to trust and respect the almighty brick. They're not just throwing weapons, they're one-use insta-kill melee weapons as well.

A lot of my fights had me low on supplies and just dodging infected or bullets so I could find rocks to splatter people's heads with.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I assume the cabal will have dlc eventually, they have done one for all the others. I assumed the Taken were alot like those dudes in the sanaterum in bioshock infinte. where they were basically shown every possible version of themselves at ones and now only sorta exist dimension as flickering half insane shade.

The name Taken is literal, Oryx "takes" people and uses his powers to enslave them to his will.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

If you want to play TLoU like an actual survival horror hard is the way to go, if you mainly want to be able to run n gun your way through and not have to worry about supplies too much play on normal. Other than that the only thing you get for higher difficulties are trophies again.

Playing on hard sounds cool. Would I cheese that experience by playing it on easy first?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Playing on hard sounds cool. Would I cheese that experience by playing it on easy first?

If you play hard on NG+, then yes, a little bit.

I can't imagine what TLOU would be like on easy. Probably boring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definitely play TLOU on survivalist. It's much more engaging than normal. Grounded is really tough.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

the truth posted:

If you play hard on NG+, then yes, a little bit.

I can't imagine what TLOU would be like on easy. Probably boring.

It is. You're basically drowning in ammo and supplies. It's a vastly more interesting game on hard, not because it's more difficult, but because it forces you to think a bit more tactically instead of just shooting the bad guys in the face.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody needs to make a The Division thread stat

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think their lead story guy left the project or something and the story had to be reworked, and by that I mean put into text logs on that website you mentioned

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think their lead story guy left the project or something and the story had to be reworked, and by that I mean put into text logs on that website you mentioned

They seriously couldn't just hire another writer?

It's like that lovely movie, I think it was called The Devil Inside, which just kind of ended then came up with some text saying you need to go on to some website to find out what happened. Except I saw it after the website had already been taken down, but thankfully the film was so bad that I didn't really care enough to go and find out more. A bit like Destiny's story.

Still, it's the most fun I've had in a multiplayer FPS this generation so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quote-Unquote posted:

Game dev being what it is, they couldn't put the game on hold while they found the guy and brought him up to speed so they punted. The new guys did a much better job on expansions 2 and 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quote-Unquote posted:

No, instead its like they scrapped the entire story with only a year left to develop the game and rushed it to market from there :colbert:

They did the same thing with Halo 2. Although Destiny's story is even worse.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I've been wanting cabal DLC since vanilla but the cabal are generally the worst balanced enemy faction in the game and Bungie has so far decided to :shrug: and do things like The Taken intead of fix them. Which is stupid but that's how :bungie: rolls these days.

Its pretty sad that The Taken had to just be see-through versions of existing characters because bungie can't make new assets fast enough to keep up with their own game. Which is why we now have a year before any new content. Maybe at the end of the year we'll get cabal dlc?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 19, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's like that lovely movie, I think it was called The Devil Inside, which just kind of ended then came up with some text saying you need to go on to some website to find out what happened. Except I saw it after the website had already been taken down, but thankfully the film was so bad that I didn't really care enough to go and find out more. A bit like Destiny's story.

Still, it's the most fun I've had in a multiplayer FPS this generation so far.

I would imagine that activision was forcing a deadline on them, meaning that they didn't have time to make what they had work and just did the best they could. that might explain a lot about what happened with how that game shipped, but you'd still think that with all of the money and time they already had that this wouldn't be a problem. I'd really like to see the story behind what happened with destiny during development

also mgs5

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
They literally cut stuff they had previously shown that looked pretty complete. It was mismanaged as hell.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A Kotaku tell-all article from months ago had an unnamed source explain why Destiny had problems. Unreliable as gently caress information but it could be true.

Allegedly they were plugging away at the game for years making assets and such while the story team locked themselves away. Towards the "we are contractually obligated to ship NOW!" date they came out with what they had. Whether it was legitimately bad is unknown, but apparently it was so out there or whatever that they didn't get fired only because of seniority. They got removed from writing and put elsewhere on staff. Bungie then had crash few months to repurpose all assets they'd already created and make a new story, hence why it's a terrible and incoherent mess. Apparently where we are now (TTK, death of Oryx) is where the base game was supposed to end.

Add on to this the fact that to make small changes to a map a dev would have to start opening a map as they left, hope it didn't crash the tool in the eight hours it took to open the map file, and then spend thirty seconds moving a spawn two feet over before starting the recompile.

Again this is anonymous insider info from a Kotaku article and all "yeah that's true!" has also been anonymous. But if true it would explain a lot.

e: Oh, and re: DLC:

There were leaks and rumors that the next DLC plans were for a Vex themed DLC, and then a Cabal one. Obviously if they're now only doing live events until Destiny 2 those may be off the table.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

big mean giraffe posted:

They literally cut stuff they had previously shown that looked pretty complete. It was mismanaged as hell.

Both entire outdoor zones as well as story cutscenes. We saw in E3 videos that there's another Earth zone mostly finished, and there were tons of cutscenes where you worked with the Queen's sister (who was to be called Crow) on different planets, all cut.

All cut to make way for the dumbest loving story imaginable. Somebody threw a hissy fit and decided they didn't like the lead writer's work and just hosed EVERYTHING up.

TTK's story is a little better but the whole thing is just like "uh, lets forget any of that ever happened, HEY LOOK ITS ORYX"

Like I'm not even sure if anybody at Bungie remembers what the Traveller was even supposed to do. They completely fumbled that plot for good.

Imagine if in Halo they just forgot about the Halo rings at some point. Chief just leaves and kills some boss and calls it a day. What about the Halo ring?! Uh... whatever.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh okay I didn't realise Destiny had been a development omnishambles, given the budget, but it explains a lot. I thought they were intentionally trying to do a cross-media thing which (outside of a handful of ARGs) has always ended up awful.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Add on to this the fact that to make small changes to a map a dev would have to start opening a map as they left, hope it didn't crash the tool in the eight hours it took to open the map file, and then spend thirty seconds moving a spawn two feet over before starting the recompile.

This can't be true.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If it wasn't for "most expensive game of all time" they'd probably have pulled the plug by now, but they're too pot committed so they have to find a way to keep it going. Destiny is too big for Activision to let fail.

It definitely did sell well though, but then everybody also traded it back in. (And now vanilla destiny discs are worthless coasters) It'll be interesting to see how well the next major expansion sells when its been a full year since they released anything. I'm thinking there'll definitely be fewer and fewer sales for each Destiny expansion if they're a year apart like that and not bigger.

If they were smart they'd just go ahead and push out Destiny 2, drop support for old consoles and come up with a new engine that doesn't take so long to make content for.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

This can't be true.

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

I could def see the story being BS though. Like I imagine this is more or less what happened to Bungie behind the scenes but somebody could easily piece that together from rumors and then just make up the rest of the story.

If true though it would definitely explain all the massive content creation problems with Destiny and why patches sometimes take so long.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 19, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

If it wasn't for "most expensive game of all time" they'd probably have pulled the plug by now, but they're too pot committed so they have to find a way to keep it going. Destiny is too big for Activision to let fail.

It definitely did sell well though, but then everybody also traded it back in. (And now vanilla destiny discs are worthless coasters) It'll be interesting to see how well the next major expansion sells when its been a full year since they released anything. I'm thinking there'll definitely be fewer and fewer sales for each Destiny expansion if they're a year apart like that and not bigger.

If they were smart they'd just go ahead and push out Destiny 2, drop support for old consoles and come up with a new engine that doesn't take so long to make content for.

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

I could def see the story being BS though. Like I imagine this is more or less what happened to Bungie behind the scenes but somebody could easily piece that together from rumors and then just make up the story.

Destiny retains one of the higher online playerbases on both consoles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

In January 2016? Color me surprised. Got a link?

All I see is stuff like this: http://kotaku.com/all-the-ways-activision-is-avoiding-saying-what-destiny-1654985376

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 19, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'd really recommend King's Quest for fans of adventure games, but I'd wait for a sale for the season pass, especially since there's only the two episodes out right now. I thought the second episode was alright, but it does feel a lot smaller than the first one. In the second episode there's a large part that revolves around managing the strength of you and four prisoners. I think you can screw up and wind up without a helper to open a door, but I found a lot of enjoyment in trying different combinations and coming up with a close-to-perfect strategy for helping everyone. It's heavy on the trial and error, so I recommend making copies of your saves in different areas. It's kind of like The Walking Dead, season 1 episode 2(?) where you have to choose who to give food too. I liked King's Quest and I'm eager for more, and it's disheartening to hear people keep it at arm's length. It's better than most of the TellTale games, anyway.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, for all the goon-bashing I'm having fun with it. Admittedly I've only been playing for about three weeks, and that's mostly been PvP as I had no idea what the hell I was doing in the story mode, but there's never been a time when I haven't been able to get a full team on matchmaking for a strike, or a completely full PvP match. I'd like to try a raid but there's no matchmaking so I think I have to find a bunch of other people to play with, and most of the goon players are in the US so aren't around at the same times I am.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

In January 2016? Color me surprised. Got a link?

All I see is stuff like this: http://kotaku.com/all-the-ways-activision-is-avoiding-saying-what-destiny-1654985376

That is an article from 2014 they are updating with random snippets about how activision is avoiding sales numbers but are discussing how their playerbase is engaged. Regardless Destiny has a fairly large active playerbase you can see by logging in to Destiny.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah, for all the goon-bashing I'm having fun with it. Admittedly I've only been playing for about three weeks, and that's mostly been PvP as I had no idea what the hell I was doing in the story mode, but there's never been a time when I haven't been able to get a full team on matchmaking for a strike, or a completely full PvP match. I'd like to try a raid but there's no matchmaking so I think I have to find a bunch of other people to play with, and most of the goon players are in the US so aren't around at the same times I am.

My bashing comes from playing since February. I still really like the game, but the time gating for some reason really turned me off of playing, whether the items are necessary or not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soft Shell Crab posted:

This can't be true.

That story just smells wrong to anyone who knows anything about game development, there's no way it's literally true. My personal guess is that the 8-hour figure is for pulling a working copy from the central repository, rebuilding all the runtime files from original assets, and other things that only get done rarely or can be automated overnight. And on top of that it's a very contrived example because nobody's going to cold launch the editor, move one entity, and then immediately build out a full copy of the game, that's not a typical or even realistic workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'd really recommend King's Quest for fans of adventure games, but I'd wait for a sale for the season pass, especially since there's only the two episodes out right now. I thought the second episode was alright, but it does feel a lot smaller than the first one. In the second episode there's a large part that revolves around managing the strength of you and four prisoners. I think you can screw up and wind up without a helper to open a door, but I found a lot of enjoyment in trying different combinations and coming up with a close-to-perfect strategy for helping everyone. It's heavy on the trial and error, so I recommend making copies of your saves in different areas. It's kind of like The Walking Dead, season 1 episode 2(?) where you have to choose who to give food too. I liked King's Quest and I'm eager for more, and it's disheartening to hear people keep it at arm's length. It's better than most of the TellTale games, anyway.

I think people got so used to the TellTale games that they assumed that's how adventure games have always worked; a big focus on humour and pop-culture references, no deaths, no unsolvable puzzles. That's the LucasArts way; the Sierra way has always been "You can, and will, die in a wide variety of ways. And even if you don't, you can lock yourself out of beating the game without even realizing it. On the other hand, we have lots of bad puns!"

It feels inevitable that the whole package will be on sale eventually. Have there been any PS+ titles that were parts of episodic games like this?

• Locked thread