Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Khablam posted:

This isn't that true though. Sure the terms and techniques are true in a broad perspective, but most of what you see is still bullshit. e.g. Elliot hacking facebook passwords by trying thousands of passwords a second is nonsense. You can head-cannon this into saying he's looked up the username in leaked (hashed) password dumps or such, and is trying to shortcut a bruteforce on that, but largely all his "hacks" against social media are impossible in the manner seen.
There were a few more glaring examples but this one was made such a central theme it was always jarring.

Or maybe I just missed that he was trying to attack a RDP/VNC port to get remote access, but it never seemed like it.

Of course you have to simplify things for dramatic purposes. TV doesn't work in real time, so it's going to be boring as gently caress while Elliot spends 2 episodes hacking someone's poo poo. The point is that it's rooted in enough realness to give it authenticity. Even when the viewer doesn't know a lot about how it all works it still feels more real than something like HACKERS.

Botnit posted:

Might be an unpopular opinion but the Tyler Durden aspect of the show prevented me from finishing my rewatch. I don't care about whether it's copied, imitated or just inspired by, it's boring. The thing that makes it worse is that virtually every other thing about the show is perfect. Every interaction Elliot has with any non-delusional character is interesting and intriguing and I want nothing but that in S2.

I tried fast forwarding through all of the delusional parts at first because towards the beginning of the season it would just be one or two scenes an episode that revolved around what you obviously knew was bullshit but towards the end of the season it's up to like half the episode.

Sam Esmail has a point about the way they approached it, which is that they do everything they can to tell you that Mr Robot is fictional. The idea is that you're supposed to be ahead of Elliot in it all, which is why he turns the question to the audience about them knowing the whole time. I think it's easier to digest when you consider that they're not trying to trick you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so the pilot is beyond great. Fantastic aiming, fantastic atmosphere, seriously incredible, the tech isn't terrible.

I mean the politics are going to get super irritating and the whole "kill this conglomerate and erase all debt!1!" is laughably retarded but I can deal with antiestablishment bs so long as it's not super self righteous.

gotta say they really lasered in on the goon demographic though, like talk about a perfect audience

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Just keep in mind that the show, especially the first episode, is framed through Elliot's perspective.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Khablam posted:

This isn't that true though. Sure the terms and techniques are true in a broad perspective, but most of what you see is still bullshit. e.g. Elliot hacking facebook passwords by trying thousands of passwords a second is nonsense. You can head-cannon this into saying he's looked up the username in leaked (hashed) password dumps or such, and is trying to shortcut a bruteforce on that, but largely all his "hacks" against social media are impossible in the manner seen.

Do u even know what you're talking about??? That's literally John the ripper but in seconds rather than minutes. Shut the gently caress up, the on screen hacking is about as good as you're going to get on TV without showing him doing jack poo poo for hours at a time

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Literally nobody wants to watch nothing happen on a computer for hours at a time for ~*verisimilitude*~ so I think Sam Esmail does a drat fine job condensing the ideas behind it in a very realistic way

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
You really don't want to see realistic hacking on tv. It starts with a guy typing into the terminal, then ends with him googling a bunch of poo poo and reading reddit instead of getting anything done.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jordan7hm posted:

Is it a fight club moment when he tells you from the get go that he's crazy?

The female character thing is more of a trip. The only real tell is that ballet scene (though some scenes make way more sense in retrospect).

It's amazing how jarring that scene is. You see Darlene and Angela in the same room and you're thinking "Oh poo poo, they're gonna meet" and then they start chatting casually about Elliot and you're thinking "Wait, did they interact before in another episode?" and then the episode goes on like nothing is different. Then since it's also the episode where he meets Wh1ter0se you're too distracted by that plot piece to dwell on it until later when the reveal comes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

sticklefifer posted:

It's amazing how jarring that scene is. You see Darlene and Angela in the same room and you're thinking "Oh poo poo, they're gonna meet" and then they start chatting casually about Elliot and you're thinking "Wait, did they interact before in another episode?" and then the episode goes on like nothing is different. Then since it's also the episode where he meets Wh1ter0se you're too distracted by that plot piece to dwell on it until later when the reveal comes.

It's kind of genius putting it where they did because the majority of people just go through the same thought process, which is to just assume that they must've just met in an earlier episode.

Also, Esmail confirmed there's a reason you don't see Darlene when Elliot is picturing his family in the last episode. He also says there's more secrets in S1 that haven't been revealed yet.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Do u even know what you're talking about??? That's literally John the ripper but in seconds rather than minutes. Shut the gently caress up, the on screen hacking is about as good as you're going to get on TV without showing him doing jack poo poo for hours at a time

I know what it is, and I don't care about condensed timescales. It's simply not a viable attack.
It's the only one that bugs me and it's precisely because no matter what ~made for TV~ reason you want to plant as a reason, it's just not something done, even in broad strokes.

It bugs me that it's not possible, not that the mechanism shown isn't a 1:1 replica of doing it for real. I'm fairly sure it's just a hangover from the pilot, which had larger inconsistencies, but they've just stuck with it because it was too central.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well that was an incredible season, holy poo poo. Marathoned it in 24 hours basically. Hell of a ride, though I saw the ghostdad coming from the start.

It never was about that twist mind, but I daresay most people would be caught offguard by it. This thread tends to overestimate the average TV watcher methinks.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'd be interested in seeing if viewers who didn't see Ghost Dad coming somehow caught on to something being really off with Ethan's Sister (I have completely blanked on her name) that we all missed because we figured Ghost Dad was the (horribly telegraphed) twist.

Also what do you think of the politics now that you've finished the season?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

whowhatwhere posted:

I'd be interested in seeing if viewers who didn't see Ghost Dad coming somehow caught on to something being really off with Ethan's Sister (I have completely blanked on her name) that we all missed because we figured Ghost Dad was the (horribly telegraphed) twist.

Also what do you think of the politics now that you've finished the season?

Honestly, I was only clued in to Ghost Dad because of this thread, and I was still on the fence until the big reveal in the cemetery because of scenes like Slater and Tyrell in the SUV without Elliott. I think the reveal of Darlene being Elliot's sister is only telegraphed retroactively and new viewers wouldn't pick it up even if they weren't focused on Ghost Dad. All you ever really know is that Darlene is unnaturally friendly with Elliott (showing up in his apartment unannounced), but you can easily justify it as a quirk of her hacker character. It wouldn't be until she meets Angela that you'd really sense something is up and even then "Elliot's sister" isn't an easy conclusion to make.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

You really don't want to see realistic hacking on tv. It starts with a guy typing into the terminal, then ends with him googling a bunch of poo poo and reading reddit instead of getting anything done.

Multitasking, yo. Gotta keep up with the latest pedo posts while you run the Gibson's database against some rainbow tables, after using Visual Basic to set up a GUI for said task.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I picked up on Ghost Dad a bit a couple of episodes in, but actually convinced myself that they weren't going that route since there were scenes with Mr. Robot, but no Elliott.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw an ad that said the On Demand and streaming versions were "uncensored" any idea what that means?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Just saw an ad that said the On Demand and streaming versions were "uncensored" any idea what that means?

FUCKS! Glorious Fucks! Fucks as far as the eye can see! Uninhibited by blips or bleeps! Fucks free to be as they were born to be!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

muscles like this? posted:

The "fucks" aren't muted?

Also in the finale they muted "Big Mac" because it's okay to rage against corporations as long as you don't offend an actual corporation.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Huh, so that's why my on-demand had two separate listings for the first season. I just binged through the whole thing last week, so I had no idea it was even censored when aired.

Weirdly, the censored version was like $2.99 an episode and the uncensored version was free.

Oh also, this show is really good and I can't wait for season 2.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

Weirdly, the censored version was like $2.99 an episode

Because $3 an episode is already enough loving.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I saw that season one is out on Bluray. Are any of the extras any good?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Just finished season 1 with my girlfriend. My favorite new show of last year, easily. It's like Fight Club meets Enemy of the State.

I picked up on the reveal with Mr Robot fairly early because of the way certain scenes played out. Elliot would order the same drink as him, or conveniently be the only one to physically interact with the world, things like that. I picked up on similar things way back when I was still watching Dexter and they did it with Tom Hanks' son mutilating bodies into angel tableaus or whatever. This was a lot more satisfying however, because Dexter was relying on that non-twist to be shocking, whereas it was more of a means to an end on this show.

Our biggest forehead-wrinkler coming out of the last episode is the conversation Elliot has with Tyrell's wife outside her apartment. Neither my gf nor I think that Elliot/Tyrell are the same person because of all the points people have already pointed out, but the way she spoke to Elliot was definitely strange. I can't tell if she recognized him or not. When she asked him his name and said she'd taken up enough of his time, it was like ...what the gently caress?

She freaks me out, in general. She's like... impossibly beautiful. What loving nationality is she? Those eyes.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I think there's definitely some legs to the Elliot = Tyrell theory, there's tons of hints at it.

Tyrell is a hacker, and for some reason is immediately drawn to Elliot upon seeing him at Allsafe.
Right after Tyrell ties up his wife after coming home from the club, there is quick cut to Elliot at F Society. The cut is done in a way that it transitions from where Tyrell is standing to Elliot seamlessly, and also Elliot appears slightly confused as to how he got there.
Tyrell is in Elliot's fever dream sitting in his apartment, holding the key (to his childhood house?).
Tyrell has a conversation with Mr. Robot without Elliot, claiming to know Mr. Robot's secret.
The scene where Tyrell's wife seems to know Elliot.

Now there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're not the same person, but there's definitely something strange about their relationship. If they're not the same person, I think they're probably connected somehow from incidents prior to the first episode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I think there's definitely some legs to the Elliot = Tyrell theory, there's tons of hints at it.

Tyrell is a hacker, and for some reason is immediately drawn to Elliot upon seeing him at Allsafe.
Right after Tyrell ties up his wife after coming home from the club, there is quick cut to Elliot at F Society. The cut is done in a way that it transitions from where Tyrell is standing to Elliot seamlessly, and also Elliot appears slightly confused as to how he got there.
Tyrell is in Elliot's fever dream sitting in his apartment, holding the key (to his childhood house?).
Tyrell has a conversation with Mr. Robot without Elliot, claiming to know Mr. Robot's secret.
The scene where Tyrell's wife seems to know Elliot.

Now there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're not the same person, but there's definitely something strange about their relationship. If they're not the same person, I think they're probably connected somehow from incidents prior to the first episode.

There are no legs. Elliot asks Tyrell's secretary where he is and she says he's not there. This show has attention to detail. It's not gonna screw up like that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

GutBomb posted:

There are no legs. Elliot asks Tyrell's secretary where he is and she says he's not there. This show has attention to detail. It's not gonna screw up like that.

This + a huge number of other things make it clear they are different human beings. I know people like to look for depth in what they enjoy, thinking greater complexity = greater satisfaction, but this show is quite complex already. And quite enjoyable.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Is it a fight club moment when he tells you from the get go that he's crazy?

The female character thing is more of a trip. The only real tell is that ballet scene (though some scenes make way more sense in retrospect).

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the narrator from the movie tell you that he's an insomniac and he knows it makes him do crazy poo poo but he's unaware of exactly what that crazy poo poo is?

edit: Just realized you said that to begin with. Not sure why I interpreted that differently.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2016

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I like that the show can make you question things like this. Personally, I don't think E=T but you're right, there's something more to their relationship (and maybe Joanna's?) than we've been told so far.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

AwkwardKnob posted:

What loving nationality is she?

Danish

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

AwkwardKnob posted:

Just finished season 1 with my girlfriend. My favorite new show of last year, easily. It's like Fight Club meets Enemy of the State.

I picked up on the reveal with Mr Robot fairly early because of the way certain scenes played out. Elliot would order the same drink as him, or conveniently be the only one to physically interact with the world, things like that. I picked up on similar things way back when I was still watching Dexter and they did it with Tom Hanks' son mutilating bodies into angel tableaus or whatever. This was a lot more satisfying however, because Dexter was relying on that non-twist to be shocking, whereas it was more of a means to an end on this show.

Our biggest forehead-wrinkler coming out of the last episode is the conversation Elliot has with Tyrell's wife outside her apartment. Neither my gf nor I think that Elliot/Tyrell are the same person because of all the points people have already pointed out, but the way she spoke to Elliot was definitely strange. I can't tell if she recognized him or not. When she asked him his name and said she'd taken up enough of his time, it was like ...what the gently caress?

She freaks me out, in general. She's like... impossibly beautiful. What loving nationality is she? Those eyes.

She was like a snake, from what I remember. Contrast that with the time of day they were shooting and the environment around them - incredibly unsettling, I agree. Great actress, great character.

The show is great at conveying loneliness even when the characters are surrounded by people.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
hello goons. Im going to be working on s2 of this series about all of us and wanted to bookmark the thread. carry on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jst0rm posted:

hello goons. Im going to be working on s2 of this series about all of us and wanted to bookmark the thread. carry on.

Cool! In what capacity?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

She was like a snake, from what I remember. Contrast that with the time of day they were shooting and the environment around them - incredibly unsettling, I agree. Great actress, great character.

The show is great at conveying loneliness even when the characters are surrounded by people.

Danish mostly. I did NOT connect her from Mr. Robot with her in Legends of Tomorrow!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subjunctive posted:

Cool! In what capacity?

Tell me you're playing a Goon coder who has posters of Anime bitches on his basement wall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rocksicles posted:

Tell me you're playing a Goon coder who has posters of Anime bitches on his basement wall.

No, I tend to be cast as the whiny management type, because I am.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Cool! In what capacity?

sound design

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jst0rm posted:

sound design

Put a Star Trek computer boop in there for me, I will hear it

Were you the goon that did sound on Black Sails or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
the same. Would be cool if 2 of us creeped these boards. Gonna be hard to get a beep like that in but I'll see if there is a place that fits.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Thanks man my sperg ears would surely catch it

I watched Black Sails with headphones and that poo poo sounds as incredible as it looks. tight tight TIGHT

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tight butthole.

[Ed] when is this loving show back??!

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Jst0rm posted:

Holy crap. Bring the Black Sails thread over here then. That was some amazing work on that storm episode especially.

I hope you contribute that energy to knock Mr. Robot out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Jst0rm posted:

sound design

Do you get to pick music? It'll be hard to beat Maxence Cyrin's version of "Where is my Mind" in the S1 climax

• Locked thread