Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be cool if faithless let religious heroes join a party with the abomination. It's sorta OP but I love little details like that from traits.

The dev's have just said they're considering it over at Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Onmi posted:

Same for God Fearing and excluding. I would like more things to mod the heroes personalities.

...What happens if HE gets God Fearing, though?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Bloodly posted:

Mandatory self-flagellation while in town, and no one else will go near the church while he's in there.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He already has Absolution. Surely he's a little bit religious.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'd really like to think the Abomination is the experiments the Ancestor did with pigs taken to its logical conclusion.

Also my guess is that the Ancestor lured you to the hamlet to carry out whatever part of the process needs to be done to open the portal. Things didn't work out for any of his friends or colleagues, I don't think he would be any different for families.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

I'd really like to think the Abomination is the experiments the Ancestor did with pigs taken to its logical conclusion.

Also my guess is that the Ancestor lured you to the hamlet to carry out whatever part of the process needs to be done to open the portal. Things didn't work out for any of his friends or colleagues, I don't think he would be any different for families.

Isn't it pretty clearly implied in the various cutscenes that the Ancestor is, in some sense at least, still around? A lot of them are narrated in present tense or relate facts that would have occurred after his apparent suicide.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah, 'happy ending' isn't exactly what I'm expecting here

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Panfilo posted:

He admits at one point that he killed himself to avoid being lynched by the villagers, not out of guilt. He's definitely up to no good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What is dead may never die. Someone earlier in the thread suggested that the end boss is the hosed up CthulhuAncestor narrating at you and I tend to agree with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its the 19th! Darkest Dungeon is now out for real! :toot:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't it pretty clearly implied in the various cutscenes that the Ancestor is, in some sense at least, still around? A lot of them are narrated in present tense or relate facts that would have occurred after his apparent suicide.

"Like me, you are now a part of this place" He's dead, but is still around.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any patch notes up? Steam is going bonkers for me so I can't view anything.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its supposed to come out 1800 gmt

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh God, just threw a new team of 0's together and all of their skills are locked. They can only move and pass. :negative:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ZeusJupitar posted:

He admits at one point that he killed himself to avoid being lynched by the villagers, not out of guilt. He's definitely up to no good.
I always wondered if he was slowly getting possessed by the evil, and when he saw the other side kind of realized it.

Maybe there'll be a twilight zone twist at the end where it turns out everything you did up to this point was on purpose and the armies of swine fishmen and skeletons were actually meant to hold off the inevitable Eldrich onslaught; he gets possessed and the evil makes him write the letter and kill himself?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

I thought the abomination was religious anyways

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I figured the Ancestor's narration was more his spirit dryly commenting on what you're up to at that moment, sort of like a moping spirit anchored to the Darkest Estate invisible to everyone but still feeling he has to get his two cents in. I don't think he's the final boss, exactly, he's just a ghost cursed to remain in the land he doomed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bogart posted:

Oh God, just threw a new team of 0's together and all of their skills are locked. They can only move and pass. :negative:

Challenge run, see how much loot they can get without killing a single enemy!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slaapaav posted:

its supposed to come out 1800 gmt

2 hrs left then :dance:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
oh poo poo

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Patch notes said they added 'secret rooms'. That's crazy, I wonder what that is?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh man, camp buffs got gutted. Most of them are less efficient and they only last for 4 battles. That's not very much for the size of medium/long missions.

On the plus side, way more camp skills prevent camp ambushes and they have additional utility too :toot:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
some big changes here:
  • Stunning Guard Casters will Remove Guard on Target
  • Other Classes have been inspired by the Houndmaster’s preparedness and have begun to fashion themselves with their own provision to bring into dungeons.
  • Camping skills have received a rather drastic overhaul, both in effects and durations...Please note that all buffs now have a duration of 4 combat encounters (hallway battles and room battles).

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Patch notes: http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/458606248640648707/

Some other highlights are trophy trinkets as quest rewards for beating the Level 5 version of bosses, they look quite solid with no downsides for the most part. Also, camping no longer removes dots (though some camp skills that only cured bleed now also cure blight), buffs from camps now last only 4 fights rather than till next camp and several of the really good camp buffs now have an added downside, for example psych up on Abomination now adds stress damage taken as well.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
It's up now, release build is only a 362.5MB patch.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Doctor Schnabel posted:

[*]Other Classes have been inspired by the Houndmaster’s preparedness and have begun to fashion themselves with their own provision to bring into dungeons.
Crusader: We all brought supplies, where's your stuff?
Plague Doctor: Don't worry about me, you're already incubating it!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Taratang posted:

It's up now, release build is only a 362.5MB patch.

yeaahhhh we did it guys!! its a success!!! haha

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
That's one hell of a debuff to camp skills, huh :stare:

Still, the free supplies from certain classes is nice. Enough shovels to cover graves/barnacle chests and walls on long runs cost one hell of a lot in my experience.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Some of the trinket changes seem weird, in terms of what's nerfed and what's buffed. Oh well!

E: Holy Lance not being usable in rank 2 really sucks.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 19, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also:

+Minor mark punishment tacked on to Highwayman and Graverobber, debuffs added to Arbalest/BH mark powers
+Disorienting Blast is now stun+shuffle, so Plague Doc can stun enemies in front too
+Inspiring Tune in rank 3 and also additional buff
-If It Bleeds finally got nerfed, possibly too much
-Leper gets nothing. gently caress you, gimpy!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

New Game +
Upon successful completion of the game players will be awarded New Game Plus. When creating a new save file, you will be prompted if you wish to start a NG+ file. Players must use the DD Strict gameplay options, tougher monsters, and two extra criteria: Complete the game in 91 Weeks with less than 13 deaths. Failure to do so and players will be greeted with a game over, and a deleted save.

:haw:

In most games, NG+ is god mode stomp, not DD, no sir

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh boy here we go :ohdear:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Holy Lance
  • Lowered crit chance by 5%
  • Removed ability to use in rank 2
lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
New game+ details:

quote:

Players must use the DD Strict gameplay options, tougher monsters, and two extra criteria: Complete the game in 91 Weeks with less than 13 deaths. Failure to do so and players will be greeted with a game over, and a deleted save.

God dammit, I was hoping for something more interesting than that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote:

Smite

• Lowered crit chance by 5%
  • Lowered damage by 10%
  • Removed ability to use against non-Unholy enemies
  • Unusable for characters named "Reynauld"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New post on the kickstarter page

quote:

Darkest Dungeon began as a thought exercise. What would it really be like to battle the horrors so commonly dispatched in the games of our childhood? What would facing down unholy abominations day in and day out do to someone? What good is a glowing Sword of Unholy Slaying +5 in the hands of a blubbering coward?

After a year of discussion over scotches and poker games, we began development full time, and Darkest Dungeon started to take shape. As we worked, we got to know the game - its personality. What it would permit, and what it wouldn't, where it left the beaten path, and where it tended to stay close to its roots. Darkest Dungeon grew up in that second year. It was not friendly, or welcoming; it did not owe you a victory, or suffer fools. It wasn’t fair, like the horror movies and war stories that formed its foundation. It broke game ‘rules’; took control away, kicked you when you were down. It smoked behind the gym with its friends and skipped class.

Underneath all that badassery, though, it challenged you to think differently about heroism, and about the cost of adventuring. It taught you that preparedness was important, but thinking on your feet when the poo poo hits the fan was the true test. And, of course, it reminded you that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. For all its unyielding focus on what can go wrong in an adventure, it showed why heroism is the only antidote for failed hope.

Prior to our launch in 2015, we talked about Early Access as an experience - a journey that the game and its players would take through the rise and fall of certain strategies, buffs, nerfs, changes, and improvements. What we didn’t expect is to be part of that journey ourselves. There have been exhilarating highs, and terrifying lows, not just for the hundreds of thousands of heroes, but for us on the dev team as well. We’ve often likened the experience of developing Darkest Dungeon to being inside the game, contending with our own stresses, bad bounces and heroic rallies. This game’s development has even seen the full cycle of humanity amongst our own team: births, deaths, and friendships and relationships tested. It’s never been easy It has been indeed a Long Champion boss run, but here we are - intact, (relatively) sane, proud of what we’ve made, and profoundly grateful to all of you for your support.

We've been truly humbled by the excitement and enthusiasm we've seen from our community. Whether you supported us on Kickstarter, Humble, or on Steam Early Access, you have helped make this game what it is. Your feedback, suggestions, and critiques have been a part of our discussions and development since February, 2015. Not only that, your fanart, streams, YouTube videos, cosplays, theorycrafting, fanfiction, guides, and modding - have inspired and honored us, and we thank you very sincerely for sharing your creations.

The best part? There's more to come! After some much needed rest, the team will get to work on our first (free) expansion featuring Town Events, a new Hero Class, and even more goodies. Beyond that, you can look forward to even more additions, modes, and content throughout the year, as well as our official support of the modding community and their efforts to extend the Darkest Dungeon experience even further. We love our game, and we can’t wait to grow and improve it with you!

Also backers get a special secret item:

"Finally, a special reward to all of you for backing. In game, you can claim an item called the "Crest of the 1100". This item will help you endure the stresses of the underdark. "

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 19, 2016

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

New game+ details:

God dammit, I was hoping for something more interesting than that.

I'd be willing to forgive that arbitrary looking limit if it plays a scene where your 13 dead heroes get surprise-necromancied and kills everyone in your town.

Well that or at least SOMETHING to justify it rather than just a "you done goofed, game over" popup.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Crusader: We all brought supplies, where's your stuff?
Plague Doctor: Don't worry about me, you're already incubating it!

quote:

Class-Specific Provisions
Other Classes have been inspired by the Houndmaster’s preparedness and have begun to fashion themselves with their own provision to bring into dungeons.
Houndmaster - 2 Dog Treats
Plague Doctor - 1 Antivenom
Grave Robber - 1 Shovel
Arbalest - 1 Bandage
Crusader - 1 Holy Water
Leper - 1 Medicinal Herbs
Jester - 1 Medicinal Herbs

Love it

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yikes, that Holy Lance nerf. Stop hanging around with the Leper, dude.

edit: Haha the Leper gets jack all.

edit 2: Grave Robbers heal diseases on other characters now? What is going on in this dungeon.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh god, the mark teams I'm gonna make...

Though my only complaint is that I hoped Arbalest and Bounty Hunter got more unique debuffs on their marks. Though it's probably a stopgap since they don't have to worry about balance in the short term.

Dat Darkest Dungeon... :stonk:

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 19, 2016