Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-19/jeff-allen-pick-up-artist-visa-cancelled-after-petition-launched/7097688

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has cancelled the visa of so-called pick-up artist Jeff Allen.

The ABC understands that Mr Allen, an employee of the US-based Real Social Dynamics (RSD), left of his own accord on Sunday and his visa was subsequently revoked.

He had been touring Australia, sparking a petition of more than 62,000 signatures calling for his deportation.

Yesterday afternoon Vibe Hotels announced it had cancelled Mr Allen's planned events at its hotels after RSD booked events under another name.

Mr Dutton described the seminars held by RSD staff as "pretty repugnant".

He told Sky News that "a person associated with this particular movement has had his visa cancelled".

"The department has already moved very quickly to tidy this situation up," he said.

"Full praise to the department and the officers who have identified these people, who are completely without legitimate cause to be here, don't meet our character tests and in this instance the visa has been cancelled."

Greens spokesperson for women Larissa Waters had called for Mr Dutton to cancel the visa, saying that RSD promote "sexism and violence".

The cancellation of the visa follows a similar revocation in 2014 of fellow RSD employee and fellow pick-up artist Julien Blanc.

Mr Blanc's visa was cancelled in 2014 by then immigration minister Scott Morrison after he travelled to Australia for a series of talks on "how to pick up women".

His tactics, which include choking women and pulling them into his crotch, were criticised online as misogynistic and abusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

What is the relevance of posting Peter Dutton dancin.... Wow it's an actual potato, I didn't even loving notice, uncanny resemblance now that I've seen it!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Redcordial posted:

What is the relevance of posting Peter Dutton dancin.... Wow it's an actual potato, I didn't even loving notice, uncanny resemblance now that I've seen it!

I bet that potato hardly tortures any children at all.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

hooman posted:

I bet that potato hardly tortures any children at all.

Unless it's served as mash with the skin still on. Can't think of a better torture method, mistah speakah

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
ALWAYS serve mashed potato with the skin on. Otherwise you're just eating less tasty, less nourishing potatoes

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
My financial outlook had me drinking pretty early in the afternoon, upon completing motorbike repairs ahead of time so it felt deserving.

At face value the applications for access to our telecommunications records and or metadata seem pretty grim even on their own. When combined with the supposed requirements of countries who are signatories to the TPP having to enact data retention regulations; Which will allow broad access to individuals private information for multinational organisations and governments, that is worrisome on a much larger and sinister level..

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

redweird posted:

ALWAYS serve mashed potato with the skin on. Otherwise you're just eating less tasty, less nourishing potatoes

The trick is to take the potato peels and simmer them in milk and butter then mash the potatoes with the resulting liquid.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

redweird posted:

Agree. No pressure for smooth, fluffy mash either.

Redcordial posted:

My financial outlook had me drinking pretty early in the afternoon, upon completing motorbike repairs ahead of time so it felt deserving.

Sorry that you're having challenges. Drinking sometimes is a good thing though - unless of course 'sometimes' is every day. I'm actually having a crack now as I've been loving flat knack and this was an early day.

Redcordial posted:

At face value the applications for access to our telecommunications records and or metadata seem pretty grim even on their own. When combined with the supposed requirements of countries who are signatories to the TPP having to enact data retention regulations; Which will allow broad access to individuals private information for multinational organisations and governments, that is worrisome on a much larger and sinister level..

Get a VPN. Mobile phones are a bit trickier though.

I do agree that all of this metadata malarky is poo poo.

Big Willy Style posted:

The trick is to take the potato peels and simmer them in milk and butter then mash the potatoes with the resulting liquid.

Always warm the milk first.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

redweird posted:

You disgust me. :getout:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's all about cauliflower mash these days.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You just need shitloads of salt and butter.

Your welcome.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ABC News posted:

Australia Day lamb ad featuring Lee Lin Chin does not incite hatred against vegans, Advertising Standards Board rules

A controversial advertisement spruiking the benefits of eating lamb on Australia Day that has clocked up more than 1.7 million views on YouTube will be allowed to stay on air.

The Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA) advertisement, called Operation Boomerang, features SBS newsreader and social media sensation Lee Lin Chin as she masterminds a plan to bring Australians home for Australia Day so they can eat lamb.

But the advertisement has attracted close to 650 complaints since it was launched a week ago, with a large number of people claiming it discriminated against vegans.

It includes a scene where a SWAT-style operation is staged and a vegan is rescued while his kale is blow-torched.

Other complaints were in relation to the use of the term "Operation Boomerang".

The Advertising Standards Board held an extraordinary meeting and decided the advertisement did not breach the Australian Association of National Advertisers (AANA) Code of Ethics.

In a statement the board said:

- In the majority of the board's view a depiction of torching of the vegan food is an exaggerated and humorous response to the food that is not lamb - a portrayal of the food being less preferable to the advertised product, and not inciting hatred towards people who are vegan.
- In making a determination about concerns about the term boomerang, the board noted that most members of the community would be familiar with the origins of a boomerang and its connection to Indigenous Australians.
- The board also noted however the Macquarie Dictionary definition of boomerang to include a colloquial meaning of 'something that is expected to be returned'.

The board's decision covers all versions of the advertisement. The longest version, which only runs online, is two minutes. The television version of the advertisement runs for 30 seconds.

The board said it also considered the issue of violence.

"Specifically the board noted complaints that the overall look and feel of the advertisement is violent and suggestive of terrorist attacks, that it is too violent for children and that the scene of a SWAT team member using a flamethrower is violent," the board said in its statement.

"In its careful consideration of these concerns the board noted that the advertisement is clearly a depiction of a fantasy situation where SWAT-style teams are bringing Australians back to Australia for Australia Day.

"The Board agreed there are exaggerated and unrealistic situations which have a look and feel of a movie and that scenes of a SWAT member coming in through a window or ceiling are clearly in this vein."

A controversial MLA advertising campaign encouraging people to eat lamb has become an annual event on Australia Day.

The latest lamb ad cost $1.2 million to make and will run up until January 26.

In a statement the MLA said it welcomed the decision.

"The advertisement has been viewed more than 4 million times across media channels and feedback remains overwhelmingly positive."

Jesus some fuckers have got to lighten up. These humorless soft cocks obviously have nothing better to do.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Graic Gabtar posted:

Jesus some fuckers have got to lighten up. These humorless soft cocks obviously have nothing better to do.

plz don't dick shame

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Chris Bowen sporting a beard on the 7:30 show.

Looks a bit mangy.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Holy poo poo a correctpost from BB

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

My favorite was the article that had the vegan guy comparing making fun of vegans to loving blackface.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I find it unnerving that BB likes the whitest food possible

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

PUA/MRA guys are obviously useless assholes but I can't really say I like the emerging trend of cancelling visas for political reasons.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

PUA/MRA guys are obviously useless assholes but I can't really say I like the emerging trend of cancelling visas for political reasons.

Is it really political to cancel the visas of people who teach others how to commit crimes?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The irony of Dutton describing it as "repugnant", when he himself is a pretty repugnant person

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Recoome posted:

The irony of Dutton describing it as "repugnant", when he himself is a pretty repugnant person

Takes one to know one.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

freebooter posted:

I don't know anything about the dude, but the article asserts he instructs dudes to choke women as a pick up technique, or something?

Seems like a smart nix, along with that dude who described how it was fine to grab and grope Japanese women in the street because there was a cultural dissensentive to do anything about it over there

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

It's all about sweet potato mash these days.

Ftfy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't know anything about the dude, but the article asserts he instructs dudes to choke women as a pick up technique, or something?

Seems like a smart nix, along with that dude who described how it was fine to grab and grope Japanese women in the street because there was a cultural dissensentive to do anything about it over there

the worms: what do we do if Eminem wants to come back

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Recoome posted:

Well spotted irony my man. Extremely astute poo poo. You just don't get this kind of stuff from opinion columns.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hey amethyst, what do you think of Australia's current mandatory detention policy?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

hey amethyst, what do you think of Australia's current mandatory detention policy?

Pardon me, I forgot that your humorous observation, while dull and tiresome, had a noble political bent. I shall laugh heartily at your slow witted jokes from now on.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I liked "Takes one to know one" more to be honest.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Recoome posted:

there is nothing to be gained

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SadisTech posted:

there is nothing to be gained

We must close ranks against the kind of menace that could stamp out hilarity like "this politician said something bad. Irony here since he, in actual is bad!"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Lid posted:

the worms: what do we do if Eminem wants to come back

Next thing they'll deny Pietro Cortona a visa, for that awful painting of the Rape of the Sabines

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Peccadillo posted:

Next thing they'll deny Pietro Cortona a visa, for that awful painting of the Rape of the Sabines

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/10/us-rap-artist-tyler-the-creator-cancels-australian-tour-after-visa-ban-campaign

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Graic Gabtar posted:

I liked "Takes one to know one" more to be honest.

You are all right

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Oh, amethyst is humour patrolling the thread again. You get right on that amethyst.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Pardon me, I forgot that your humorous observation, while dull and tiresome, had a noble political bent. I shall laugh heartily at your slow witted jokes from now on.
how many times have you watched the princess bride

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"Never enough," is the only answer.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

actually it's whatever point at which you start writing your insults in the same tiring overly verbose manner

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

The video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i15OPuFvmA

Honestly? gently caress vegans, especially those who feed their kids and/or pets vegan diets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Joe Hockey is apparently having too much fun in his new ambassadorial appointment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779fMc8ubOo

• Locked thread