Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

o.m. 94 posted:

are you kidding? Go is a notoriously difficult problem. Of course people want tostudy it. It has already had practical and groundbreaking results in probabilistic AI research. you dont shake a tree cause you want to eat the branches, you're after the apples that fall as a result

that was a poo poo metaphor but anyway don't knock obscure scientific research. penzias and wilson found the cosmic microwave background radiation when they cleaned pigeon poo poo off an antenna

I was actually kidding. I think it's cool they're making strides in machine learning because of Go (and video games and other fields not directly related to some important problem)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
whats the best response to 4 here

ive seen this a few times and this variation isnt in eidogo. it seems like maybe connecting is best? i tried playing r17 in my game just now and i ended up living okay in the corner after being cut, but im not sure if i was lucky or not.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Not connecting is crazy IMHO.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

3k me says connecting is the only move. I can't imagine why anything else would turn out better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's called peeping, right?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

That's called peeping, right?

Nope, although its similar. White 4 would be considered a peep if white 2 wasn't there. Connecting is a must, read this if it isn't obvious http://senseis.xmp.net/?LameDuGo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

IMlemon posted:

Nope, although its similar. White 4 would be considered a peep if white 2 wasn't there. Connecting is a must, read this if it isn't obvious http://senseis.xmp.net/?LameDuGo

Ah, cool, thanks.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i got to play more games if that wasnt obvious until i thought a bit about it.

here's what happened in my game lol:

i ended up killing both of those white groups and still managed to come back to lose the game. wee

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IMlemon posted:

I think it's still called a peep regardless.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I dunno if the KGS ITGO squad is still active, but invite dipwood if it is.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Added

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
watched the end of the mlily cup final. such a close game, and made me motivated to get stronger just so i can enjoy pro games more

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Haylee vs Antti Tormanen on OGS in one hour

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
nvm, its starting now. time zones are hard

https://online-go.com/game/3668339

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

totino boy posted:

nvm, its starting now. time zones are hard

https://online-go.com/game/3668339

There's a twitch stream with commentary for this game right now also: http://www.twitch.tv/xhu98

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Legendary jump macaque

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://tvbaduk.com/ is free for this month, if anyone wanted to try before buying

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
omg i am watching a game on there and its a top down video of a real board, but the commentator is clicking out variations on the on the real board while they play with some kind of overlay, so cool

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

totino boy posted:

omg i am watching a game on there and its a top down video of a real board, but the commentator is clicking out variations on the on the real board while they play with some kind of overlay, so cool

Literally every baduktv youtube commentary game.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
In the interest of getting some discussion going...

This is from a recent game I had as white.
1. How do you feel about the opening so far? Is it still balanced?
2. What would you play? My feeling was that if black got a move around F5, the lower side would be too big. What would be the best way to go about reducing this? Alternatively, would you play somewhere else first?

In the game, I invaded at H3. He then blocked at J3, and when I extended to H4 he jumped into the corner at C3. He ended up living in the corner and I only captured F3 on a small scale. I did get sente after which I played K5 to reduce black's moyo but I did not feel very good about this result.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
maybe play f5 yourself

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Can someone invite me to the SA group on online-go? i've got a new account

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

totino boy posted:

maybe play f5 yourself

Cap at f5 and let black have his bottom as he has no points elsewhere and you do. :v:

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, I guess I just got worried because my two "corners" on the right don't actually make up that many points (20 at the most) and black has a good framework on the bottom and will also probably make some points on the right or top too.
Another option I just thought of would be somewhere around H5, maybe? Idea being to make miai of H3 and K6. Capping at F5 is probably good too though.

ANYWAY here is another thing you should see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXba2J2Hb4

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I just dreamt quite a realistic game of Go i.e. I didn't notice anything that couldn't happen in a real game. Except that I ignored several weak groups and got surrounded and died in gote several times. Geez louise.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

ITGO SECURITIES CUP 2016

https://online-go.com/tournament/14232

I set it to 1 bar and McMahon with 3-day Fischer, random pairing. Will someone let me know if these settings suck.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Can someone invite me to the SA group on online-go? i've got a new account

What's the account name friend

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Can I also be invited on online-go? Account name is "Illegal"

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Invite sent!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

o.m. 94 posted:

What's the account name friend

Oops.

It's "SparseSpace"

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Could I also be invited? My OGS name is "Sent"

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

More invites sent. What a time to be alive,

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Im gonna get my lazy rear end back into playing this too. Join all the new guys in fumbling around the board

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Does this tournament use a handicap?

Also I've never played correspondence before so I think I'm about to get owned

edit: I guess there's no handicap, it says right there even

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 22, 2016

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Guess I could lose a bunch of games in this tournament too--can I get an invite to the group? My OGS username is "amsone"; thanks!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Hacker News comment posted:

Go players activate the brain region of vision, and literally think by seeing the board state. A lot of Go study is seeing patterns and shapes... 4-point bend is life, or Ko in the corner, Crane Nest, Tiger Mouth, the Ladder... etc. etc.

Go has probably been so hard for computers to "solve" not because Go is "harder" than Chess (it is... but I don't think that's the primary reason), but instead because humans brains are innately wired to be better at Go than at Chess. The vision-area of the human's brain is very large, and "hacking" the vision center of the brain to make it think about Go is very effective.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the exact number of legal positions on a 19x board has been calculated

http://tromp.github.io/go/legal.html

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

invites sent.

no handicap which pretty much seals the highest rank as the winner but the purpose of the tournament is to try the very best you can. give it more thought than you would a bog standard timed game. I'm happy to review any games in my limited capacity

If any settings seem wrong let me know and I can change before monday autostarts ting

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I like playing against the good dudes. It motivated me to go from a 17k to a 12k over the course of the last go tournament.

The mcmahon tournament sucks though, some people take a million years to finish games so it's taken what, half a year to get through one round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I think that's only because the last one was mistakenly open to the public, and you know how randoms can be. I trust goons will be more prompt