Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor posted:

How about "why should I care if I am given no reason to care and also the person who is the writer and director does not care"

George Lucas needed troops it was PG for our heroes to kill tons of in battle scenes with their lightsabers in a children's movie, so he made them robots. A classic enemy type in cartoons because it's totally A-OK to cut them apart by the dozens. He needed to have clones in there somewhere because it's mentioned at some point, and they serve almost exactly the same purpose as guys who can bite it by the thousands in big battle sequences and it's ok for kids to see it. That's as far as the logic went there. Questions about the morality of war between two slave armies is sure an interesting philosophical consideration that he did not put anywhere in the movies or appear to think about at all

why do you think the same george lucas who very clearly made droids people (for fucks sake "we don't serve their kind here" is uttered) made one whole army in the prequels droids purely out of laziness or because he needed "pg troops"?

you really can't attribute any purpose to anything lucas did post rotj?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

How about "why should I care if I am given no reason to care and also the person who is the writer and director does not care"

George Lucas needed troops it was PG for our heroes to kill tons of in battle scenes with their lightsabers in a children's movie, so he made them robots. A classic enemy type in cartoons because it's totally A-OK to cut them apart by the dozens. He needed to have clones in there somewhere because it's mentioned at some point, and they serve almost exactly the same purpose as guys who can bite it by the thousands in big battle sequences and it's ok for kids to see it. That's as far as the logic went there. Questions about the morality of war between two slave armies is sure an interesting philosophical consideration that he did not put anywhere in the movies or appear to think about at all

Lucas needed a big army of enemies that are A-OK to cut apart, and he coincidentally chose droids, the same droids that he used in the OT to symbolize the underclass. Surely this is meaningless...

Edit: beaten to the same exact point

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

porfiria posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to how aware the movie is of what it's doing. Like John Milius knows he's a nutcase and doubles down it. George Lucas doesn't know he's afraid of women so it just comes off as weird in the movies.

Ah, so as long as someone says "I'm a racist and PROUD" it's okay to like them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I ask you men; put down your reading goggles! Step back from your ripped blu-rays! Tear up your crayon drawings of DROID-VULCAN and Mandalorian Chief! Today we accept into our hearts the irrefutable facts: The clones are people, and they choose to fight slaveholders!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

computer parts posted:

Way better than the alternative.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Waffles Inc. posted:

why do you think the same george lucas who very clearly made droids people (for fucks sake "we don't serve their kind here" is uttered) made one whole army in the prequels droids purely out of laziness or because he needed "pg troops"?

Because neither George Lucas's statements or the scripts he wrote or the films he directed have anything within them to indicate that battle droids are anything other than comic-relief cannon fodder for our heroes to effortlessly cut apart? What a concept.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neurolimal posted:

I ask you men; put down your reading goggles! Step back from your ripped blu-rays! Tear up your crayon drawings of DROID-VULCAN and Mandalorian Chief! Today we accept into our hearts the irrefutable facts: The clones are people, and they choose to fight slaveholders!

That's fine for you rich college folks on Coruscant but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUy1z-mnoIU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

He says, as he carelessly tosses deathstick crumbs at a Jangonian hobo, and plays with a Jangonian child's hair without asking their mother for permission.

"You guys will clone such cute children!" Computer Parts says to Jango Cody and B35T-P8LS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What would you even serve them anyway?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Neuroliminal's meltdown is funny and sad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Because neither George Lucas's statements or the scripts he wrote or the films he directed have anything within them to indicate that battle droids are anything other than comic-relief cannon fodder for our heroes to effortlessly cut apart? What a concept.

Again, are you saying that the OT has no bearing on how we're to view the battle droids?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

Sheev Palpatine doesn't care about Jango people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are heroes on both sides.

Evil is everywhere.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

Not really a meltdown. I just find it rather funny that there's so many pages of posts about Droids Rights, but clones are treated as both mindless guns and victimized children, when we both know what they should be treated as: war heroes.

Thanks for taking a silly joke so well though

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"If you don't love every character in Star Wars, including the ones way in the background, then it's a good movie."

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

Not really a meltdown. I just find it rather funny that there's so many pages of posts about Droids Rights, but clones are treated as both mindless guns and victimized children, when we both know what they should be treated as: war heroes.

Your attempts at metadiscourse are very strange, my friend.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Lucas needed a big army of enemies that are A-OK to cut apart, and he coincidentally chose droids, the same droids that he used in the OT to symbolize the underclass. Surely this is meaningless...

Edit: beaten to the same exact point

George Lucas can't keep it straight if Darth Vader is a mid-level enforcer that imperial officers mouth off to or the terrifying #2 of the entire Empire, or if Anakin Skywalker literally died, or how many kids he had, over the course of the three good movies he wrote in a row when he still had all his marbles; so somehow I doubt that the social status of droids as analogies for the underclass is a big thing that he was considering 22 years later when he was writing Jedi cutting droids apart like butter

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Jango Sherman's only sin was that he didn't blast more confederate banks, IMO

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas needed troops it was PG for our heroes to kill tons of in battle scenes with their lightsabers in a children's movie, so he made them robots.

Why did George Lucas decide to have the droids cower and surrender before being destroyed? Comedy?

TFA shows Stormtroopers bleeding, dying and expressing emotion. The first storm-trooper that Finn light-sabers is taken by surprise and literally stabbed through the chest.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neurolimal posted:

What the Christ is this thread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

#droidlivesmatter

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

#droidlivesmatter

This, but unironically.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Why did George Lucas decide to have the droids cower and surrender before being destroyed? Comedy?

They do sound pretty funny.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Red posted:

It's magical. Let's just all enjoy the ride.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe there is different levels of sentience.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tezzor posted:

The Death of the Author by Roland Barthes

You should read that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Film transcends the "filmmaker". It transcends the viewer. You guys are bickering over "the film says this or that" as if these are facts obtainable through enough "proper" interpretation. Like when religious people quarrel over the precise meaning of their religious text. "The book says do this that and the other thing, therefore we must do exactly that."

I don't want to come out and say "the film has whatever meaning you can justify", but that's how it is. When you refuse to accept a perspective and its interpretation, because you have some pre-defined set of ideas about how to go about that act of interpretation, then you are not able to truly understand the work.

It's not "everybody's opinion is right, hooray", and it's not "there is only this, all others are wrong", instead it's so much more nuanced than that. There is only the struggle for Truth. This is what's important. The Truth is unobtainable, unreachable, unknowable in full, but the struggle for Truth, the journey you take, is the noblest act.

When you really loving open your mind, you will be able to justify your interpretation of the film.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red posted:

Neurolimal is really bad at summarizing arguments. I think he does it to discredit his "opponents".

Vintersorg posted:

#droidlivesmatter

:agreed:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas needed troops it was PG for our heroes to kill tons of in battle scenes with their lightsabers in a children's movie, so he made them robots.

"George Lucas needed a giant scary superweapon the heroes could blow up at the end of Star Wars. Therefore, that's literally the only reason the Death Star exists as a concept. It doesn't have any deeper meaning and you're an idiot if you think it does."

The creative process is more complicated than you think it is.

quote:

A classic enemy type in cartoons because it's totally A-OK to cut them apart by the dozens. He needed to have clones in there somewhere because it's mentioned at some point, and they serve almost exactly the same purpose as guys who can bite it by the thousands in big battle sequences and it's ok for kids to see it. That's as far as the logic went there. Questions about the morality of war between two slave armies is sure an interesting philosophical consideration that he did not put anywhere in the movies or appear to think about at all

The fact that droids are slaves is never explicitly mentioned in the OT, but that doesn't matter, because it's implicit in the films' imagery. In the same vein, the human clones and the robotic battle droids are constantly being visually identified with each other in the prequels:

Notice all the dust being kicked up, obscuring the figures of the combatants on both sides so that you can barely even tell the difference between them anymore? That's the movie using visuals to try to make you think about things a little bit. You have to use your brain, though. Movies don't always spell everything out for you.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHISHKABOB posted:

Film transcends the "filmmaker". It transcends the viewer. You guys are bickering over "the film says this or that" as if these are facts obtainable through enough "proper" interpretation. Like when religious people quarrel over the precise meaning of their religious text. "The book says do this that and the other thing, therefore we must do exactly that."

I don't want to come out and say "the film has whatever meaning you can justify", but that's how it is. When you refuse to accept a perspective and its interpretation, because you have some pre-defined set of ideas about how to go about that act of interpretation, then you are not able to truly understand the work.

It's not "everybody's opinion is right, hooray", and it's not "there is only this, all others are wrong", instead it's so much more nuanced than that. There is only the struggle for Truth. This is what's important. The Truth is unobtainable, unreachable, unknowable in full, but the struggle for Truth, the journey you take, is the noblest act.

When you really loving open your mind, you will be able to justify your interpretation of the film.

This is a good post.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

The fact that droids are slaves is never explicitly mentioned in the OT, but that doesn't matter, because it's implicit in the films' imagery. In the same vein, the human clones and the robotic battle droids are constantly being visually identified with each other in the prequels:

Notice all the dust being kicked up, obscuring the figures of the combatants on both sides so that you can barely even tell the difference between them anymore? That's the movie using visuals to try to make you think about things a little bit. You have to use your brain, though. Movies don't always spell everything out for you.

Thank you for this. Awesome post.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Notice all the dust being kicked up, obscuring the figures of the combatants on both sides so that you can barely even tell the difference between them anymore?

Joking aside, no, the two sides are extremely easy to identify. It does show that they're in the same situation though!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The difference is that I used the terms correctly. Also, as it happens, that's not what "dispute" means.

Comedy is the obverse of horror. That's the whole point: the droids get comically awful treatment.

People keep talking about 'empathy' because they haven't graduated to 'love'. We love the battle droids, in all their frailty.

You're not 'supposed to' do anything. You alone are responsible for your opinions.

There are heroes on both sides.

Evil is everywhere.

Like jeez guys, this kind of stuff. Love is essential. Love is what you need. Every major religion has its basis in "Love God and Neighbor as Thyself", but they've all been perverted into insane poo poo that absolutely misses the point. Fundamentalism/dogmatism is the fossilization of the mind, the hardening of the heart. Stop hating and start loving; everything.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i always thought darth vader's role was pretty obvious, he probably has an "official" title in the military hierarchy but really he just hangs out and does what the emperor says, but mostly hangs out waiting for the times he can jump in his spaceship and shoot people

tarkin and certain imperials mouth out to him because either they gained his respect and are friends or they are dumb. its not that complicated.

it just changes in empire because its "oh well i better go after luke instead of just shooting spaceships and hanging around"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Love is essential. Love is what you need.

"Love is evil." -Zizek

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
http://leavenopathuntaken.tumblr.com/post/136002176106

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Joking aside, no, the two sides are extremely easy to identify. It does show that they're in the same situation though!

Yeah I didn't mean it literally, obviously. My point is that the intention is clearly to blur the lines between the two sides visually.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

"Love is evil." -Zizek

Cool can you place that quote in context.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Like half of AOTC is spent in the facilities where clones are made, and then the facilities where droids are made.

Arguably, the entire point of the film, down to the name, is that society manufactures people to be unthinking thugs for the benefits of protecting the elites.

But enough about America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah I didn't mean it literally, obviously. My point is that the intention is clearly to blur the lines between the two sides visually.

I know, I just think it says something else in doing so.

• Locked thread