Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlG4T1S2lU

I know this is like sunlight to vampires but just watch from 3:25 to 4:05 to get a reminder that the visuals of the Poor Oppressed Battle Droids being killed is comedic and silly, and George Lucas explicitly says they are useless cannon fodder

e: Here's the full clip of him talking about Battle Droids

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
storm troopers are also pretty useless though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
stop making me defend this bad movies

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tezzor posted:

[video type="youtube"]SOlG4T1S2lU?t3m25s[/video]

I know this is like sunlight to vampires but just watch from 3:25 to 4:05 to get a reminder that the visuals of the Poor Oppressed Battle Droids being killed is comedic and silly, and George Lucas explicitly says they are useless cannon fodder
Jesus gently caress this review is so bad. "My god, the Jedi are lying to the Gungans to get to their destination!? Clearly Lucas doesn't know what he's doing with his plot".

Hey, Tezzor, since you've completely failed to grasp the concept of "underlying message", I have to ask: what do you think Starship Troopers is saying about the military?

And yeah, Lucas says they're useless and cut down like butter. So they're expendable, cheap, replaceable sentient beings sent into battle at the whims of their masters. Then we see the clones and the cinematography links the two constantly. How exactly does Lucas saying they're cannon fodder change a drat thing? Where do you think the phrase cannon fodder came from?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 19, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just now realized that blockade isn't even a ring around the planet like I thought since I was a kid. They could have just gone in literally any other direction to thwart it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hbomberguy posted:

Like half of AOTC is spent in the facilities where clones are made, and then the facilities where droids are made.

Arguably, the entire point of the film, down to the name, is that society manufactures people to be unthinking thugs for the benefits of protecting the elites.

But enough about America.

This is why Trump is winning.

Edit--that is to say, he's winning because the people who like him know you think this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cool can you place that quote in context.

Today, the social process is again perceived as dominated by an anonymous Force beyond social control. The rise of galactic capitalism is presented to us as such a Force, against which one cannot fight - one either adapts oneself to it, or one falls out of step with history and one is crushed. The only thing one can do is to make galactic capitalism as human as possible, to fight for 'galactic capitalism with a human face' (this is what, ultimately, the Jedi Order is - or, rather, WAS - about). The sound barrier will have to be broken here, the risk will have to be taken to endorse again large collective decisions - this, perhaps, is the main legacy of Darth Vader and his comrades to us today.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ravenfood posted:

Jesus gently caress this review is so bad. "My god, the Jedi are lying to the Gungans to get to their destination!? Clearly Lucas doesn't know what he's doing with his plot".

Hey, Tezzor, since you've completely failed to grasp the concept of "underlying message", I have to ask: what do you think Starship Troopers is saying about the military?

Actually its good.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ravenfood posted:

There is no underlying message of "man this sure is tragic" about the deaths of clones and robots in the prequel films. That might be an interesting idea, but it is neither shown nor told in the films, and exists merely in the headcanon and apologia of fanboys. To be fair the idea is explored to some degree in a small minority of episodes of a Star Wars cartoon for children, but exists not at all in the films themselves. I hope this has clarified matters

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

Like half of AOTC is spent in the facilities where clones are made, and then the facilities where droids are made.

Arguably, the entire point of the film, down to the name, is that society manufactures people to be unthinking thugs for the benefits of protecting the elites.

It also puts them in a big battle in a colosseum. Afterwards they fly off and have a giant battle where their forms are screened by the dust kicked up by their violence towards each other.

No war but class war.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezzor posted:

There is no underlying message of "man this sure is tragic" about the deaths of clones and robots in the prequel films.

It's not tragic; it's comedic. Have you not been paying attention?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor posted:

There is no underlying message of "man this sure is tragic" about the deaths of clones and robots in the prequel films. That might be an interesting idea, but it is neither shown nor told in the films, and exists merely in the headcanon and apologia of fanboys. To be fair the idea is explored to some degree in a small minority of episodes of a Star Wars cartoon for children, but exists not at all in the films themselves. I hope this has clarified matters

it actually is shown in the films

in that we see clones and robots die

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tezzor posted:

There is no underlying message of "man this sure is tragic" about the deaths of clones and robots in the prequel films. That might be an interesting idea, but it is neither shown nor told in the films, and exists merely in the headcanon and apologia of fanboys. To be fair is is explored to some degree in a small minority of episodes of a Star Wars cartoon for children, but exists not at all in the films themselves. I hope this has clarified matters
So all of the visual links between the droid/clones, and the OT droids explicitly being the peasantry in Hidden Fortress, is a complete accident?

e: seriously, what do you think "cannon fodder" originally described? how does describing the droids as that do anything but undermine your own point?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
No one laughed, or cried, or cared, when the droids died. This means the movie is good, because you're a dirty capitalist pig.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I don't really see what's so confusing about Darth Vader's status in the Original Trilogy? He's subservient to Grand Moff Tarkin in ANH, and Moff Jejerrod, Admirals Ozzel and Piett and General Veers are subservient to him in ESB and RotJ. You could infer any number of explanations to this-- "Darth Vader" outranks Moff and Admiral but not Grand Moff, Tarkin was the number two guy in the Empire until he loving died, Darth Vader rose through the ranks of the Empire in the time between the movies in parallel to Luke, Han, and Leia becoming more important in the Rebellion, etc. The (actually pretty good) Darth Vader comics from Kieron Gillen deal a lot with Vader and his place in the Empire between ANH and ESB (it starts with him in the political doghouse as the sole survivor of the Death Star debacle and placed directly under the command of a newly-promoted Grand General Tagge), but you don't even need to fall back on an EU explanation-- Darth Vader is consistently subordinate to certain characters (Palpatine, Tarkin) and above certain other characters.

Anyway, since this is Battledroid chat: One thing I like about the Battle of Geonosis-- or, at least, the later stages of it, is that it's kind of, like, reverse Hoth? You have the heroes leading a bunch of Stormtroopers and AT-ATs and Star Destroyers from the right of the screen against a base on the left of the screen. You have cutaways to the Separatist leaders inside their base, realizing that they're hosed and need to order an evacuation, you have Dooku getting separated and escaping in his own ship after being pursued by Darth Vader, you have Stormtroopers and AT-ATs and angular Star Destroyers shooting at rounded evacuation ships.

I guess AotC in general has a lot of backwards scenes from ESB? Obi-Wan chasing Slave I through an asteroid field and such. But it also just has some stuff that's the other way around, like when Dooku is trying to convince Obi-wan to join him and the scene basically just devolves into them quoting Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker's conversation verbatim.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

So all of the visual links between the droid/clones, and the OT droids explicitly being the peasantry in Hidden Fortress, is a complete accident?
The visual links support a "droids are people" read. But they can just as easily be read as showing that the Jedi and the Republic are bad, because they're exploiting the clones as if they were nothing more than the mindless killer robots that they've been made to fight.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The clones are literally 'droids with a human face'. The audience is led to side with them against the more abstract/insectile robot designs, even though there is actually no difference between them.

That's the same point as in Starship Troopers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've been watching some Clone Wars lately and a lot of it is pretty fun. There's a great episode where C-3PO and R2 are out running an errand in Coruscant and 3PO gets kidnapped and tortured by bounty hunters while R2 goes to the robot spa to get a rub and tug.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No war but star war.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ersatz posted:

The visual links support a "droids are people" read. But they can just as easily be read as showing that the Jedi and the Republic are bad, because they're exploiting the clones as if they were nothing more than the mindless killer robots that they've been made to fight.

Yeah, both the droids and the clones are people, enslaved, and stuck in a war that isn't theirs. They are very much the same. The Jedi and the Republic are bad, and the Separatists are no better. They both used armies of slaves.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Neurolimal is really bad at summarizing arguments. I think he does it to discredit his "opponents".

:agreed:

I'm seriously drawing a blank on what you're talking about here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really want a random battle droid to pop up in one of the new movies, working with the resistance or something. That would be kinda neat.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ww0b49w3EY

Watch this video and tell me George Lucas has any respect for the battle droids or how tragic it is that they are being used for violence. I dare you. Here's a transcript if you can't be assed:

George Lucas: This is one of our battle droids, actually, take a look at this...
Steven Spielberg: Oh, he's cool!
GL: This is the new stormtrooper.
SS: Oh, man!
GL: This is our new stormtrooper...
SS: So man wait, he's the old model, replaced by "Star Wars" to be the new stormtrooper...
GL: Yeah, because, what you don't realize is that these guys really are not very efficient. They, uh... these things... Yeah, Jedi cut them down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless.
SS: Yeah, pretty useless, this old...dangleweed here...
[...]
SS: Yeah, these droids, they can't get the physiology right...
GL: And so what happens in the end is they all join forces and everything and the [Gungans] battle the droids in this huuuuge kind of "War and Peace" battle.
SS: Uh huh.
GL: Like, literally, "War and Peace."
SS: Right.
GL: Huuuge. Y'know, ten thousand troops on either side...
SS: Like both sides coming at each other?
GL: Coming at each other.
SS: That's great.
GL: It's gonna be great.
SS: That's gonna be great.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 20, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Why are you a space racist?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Again, that line also applies he has no respect for the stormtroopers though

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Serf posted:

Yeah, both the droids and the clones are people, enslaved, and stuck in a war that isn't theirs. They are very much the same. The Jedi and the Republic are bad, and the Separatists are no better. They both used armies of slaves.
You keep saying that the battle droids are people, but why do you assume that those droids, in particular, are self-aware?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tezzor posted:

Watch this video and tell me George Lucas has any respect for the battle droids or how tragic it is that they are being used for violence. I dare you. Here's a transcript if you can't be assed:

George Lucas: This is our new stormtrooper...
Steven Spielberg: So this is the new model, being replaced by "Star Wars" by the new model...
GL: Yeah, because, what you don't realize is that these guys are not very efficient. They, uh... these things... Yeah, the Jedi cut them down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless.
SS: Yeah, pretty useless, this old dangleweed here...
[...]
GL: As so what happens is at the end is they all join forces and the [Gungans] battle the droids in this huuuuge kind of "War and Peace" battle.
GL: Huuuge. Like, ten thousand troops on either side...
GL: Both sides coming at each other.

Have you ever seen something that's simultaneously kind of funny and kind of sad?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like it is possible for Lucas to have both "robots are people" and "certain characters are just canon fodder" floating around in his head. Droids are people, storm troopers are people, but both are canon fodder Lucas can't be arse about in the end of the day.

Stop making me defend these bad movies.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PBS Newshour posted:

Again, that line also applies he has no respect for the stormtroopers though

Well, not much, but it does indicate that he thinks Stormtroopers are less incompetent than battle droids. It also indicates that he thinks a huuuuge battle where a ton of them get destroyed is going to be a totally awesome spectacle and not a terrible tragedy, like most people who are not loving insane and don't weep over dead pretend robots we have no reason to care about at all

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like you have basically stormtroopers who are faceless due to their helmets, the battledroids and clones who are faceless because they literally all have the same face, and now you have the new storm troopers who start out as individuals but are forcibly shaped by into being faceless numbers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tezzor posted:

Well, not much, but it does indicate that he thinks Stormtroopers are less incompetent than battle droids. It also indicates that he thinks a huuuuge battle where a ton of them get destroyed is going to be totally awesome and not a terrible tragedy like most people who are not loving insane and weep over dead pretend robots we have no reason to care about at all

That is because its not a tragedy. I am not arguing that bit of crazy thought.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Frackie Robinson posted:

Have you ever seen something that's simultaneously kind of funny and kind of sad?

Prequel apologism

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tezzor posted:

Prequel apologism

lol

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Tezzor's posts are so bad I think every time I read one I like the prequels a little more.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Not to derail this discussion, but I have a Star Wars question.

I just watched Attack of the Clones for the first time in quite a while. So, these two things happen:

1.) Palpatine tricks the senate into giving him all the power, then says he'll make an army.
2.) That army saves the good guys and kills the bad guys.

Between those two events, it doesn't seem like a particularly large amount of time has passed. Surely, some senators will realize that the republic has flexed its military muscles to deal a blow to the separatists.

Aren't there going to be some senators wondering where that army came from? Is this a plot point in episode III that I totally forgot?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Well, not much, but it does indicate that he thinks Stormtroopers are less incompetent than battle droids. It also indicates that he thinks a huuuuge battle where a ton of them get destroyed is going to be a totally awesome spectacle and not a terrible tragedy, like most people who are not loving insane and don't weep over dead pretend robots we have no reason to care about at all

you are aware of what war and peace is right

a book wherein the first, oh, third or so is about one of the main characters realizing that war is not glorious while the other main character (a well meaning and kind but ultimately bumbling kind of foolish sort) has greatness thrust upon him

i mean if lucas is talking about the battle of austerlitz as a big "war and peace" battle then that's a fascinating thing to say

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tezzor posted:

Prequel apologism

There's plenty to attack in the prequels, but I don't think you're taking a particularly strong angle here. I don't think the posters saying that droids are people in the Star Wars universe mean that we're to shed a tear over their demise, they're just saying that our protagonists' indifference to the droids reflects poorly on their character, and that it isn't altogether an accident. I don't think that's a massive leap.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas: This is our new stormtrooper...
Steven Spielberg: So this is the new model, being replaced by "Star Wars" by the new model...
GL: Yeah, because, what you don't realize is that these guys are not very efficient. They, uh... these things... Yeah, the Jedi cut them down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless.
SS: Yeah, pretty useless, this old dangleweed here...
[...]
SS: Yeah, these droids, they can't get the physiology right...
GL: As so what happens is at the end is they all join forces and the [Gungans] battle the droids in this huuuuge kind of "War and Peace" battle.
GL: Huuuge. Like, ten thousand troops on either side...
GL: Both sides coming at each other.
Yes, definitely, no sign that there is any subtext there about the often pointless horrors of war being inflicted on people.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Seaniqua posted:

Not to derail this discussion, but I have a Star Wars question.

I just watched Attack of the Clones for the first time in quite a while. So, these two things happen:

1.) Palpatine tricks the senate into giving him all the power, then says he'll make an army.
2.) That army saves the good guys and kills the bad guys.

Between those two events, it doesn't seem like a particularly large amount of time has passed. Surely, some senators will realize that the republic has flexed its military muscles to deal a blow to the separatists.

Aren't there going to be some senators wondering where that army came from? Is this a plot point in episode III that I totally forgot?

There's a scene where Yoda, Palpatine, and a bunch of senators are watching a report from Obi-Wan, and afterwards one of them says "We need that clone army," with the implication being that Yoda told them about it offscreen. As for why it was there in the first place, the Kaminoans' story is that the Jedi ordered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ersatz posted:

You keep saying that the battle droids are people, but why do you assume that those droids, in particular, are self-aware?

The fact that they have personalities is a big indicator. A snarky "you're welcome" to Grievous in ROTS shows that they're capable of both humor and interaction. They attempt to flee when outmatched and surrender when they're beaten. Star Wars has yet to show me a non-sentient droid in any of the films. Therefore I can only assume that they don't know how to make them. Things like Cloud City and the Millennium Falcon also have personalities that speak to R2-D2 and C-3P0.

The Clone Wars cartoon is "canon" for whatever that's worth and it shows battle droids having conversations with each other. Chopper in Rebels is a grumpy astromech who doesn't like people. Droid personhood is pretty undeniable in Star Wars.

• Locked thread