Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Zhaitan was what cut off contact with the rest of the world, there was no way for ships to sail past Orr while he was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I actually enjoy running around to get hero points for people so I wouldn't be adverse to maybe running another hero point train on the weekend for old times' sake (I haven't actually done anything in GW2 for 6 weeks at least).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mercurius posted:

(I haven't actually done anything in GW2 for 6 weeks at least).

We've missed you! I think a lot of GOON leadership is taking it easy right now, though. I know Tricks and I are, Schpyder is the only truly active member of the Sinister Triad atm :v:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Anime is real.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now show me a charr Alphys.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

If the next expansion isn't Cantha or Elona then they've really hosed up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Amante posted:

If the next expansion isn't Cantha or Elona then they've really hosed up.

Let Palawa Joko show Zhaitan how to do undead with style?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We've missed you! I think a lot of GOON leadership is taking it easy right now, though. I know Tricks and I are, Schpyder is the only truly active member of the Sinister Triad atm :v:

Not as active as I'd like, but that's more due to putting in about 34 hours at work since Saturday. And I even had Sunday off! :suicide:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
woo BURDs I now have phone alarms that yell at me to get my rear end on gw2 in time for raids so I stop being a forgetful idiot

I legitimately have no idea how I would keep my life together without my phone to remind me of things

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just discovered tonight the dune buggy tactivator item for supply camps, oh my god this thing is awesome

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just discovered tonight the dune buggy tactivator item for supply camps, oh my god this thing is awesome

does it make the VRRM VRRRM noise that the RC car makes

cause vrrm vrrmmm

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

That chest left neglected in the background is bothering me more than it should.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

AzureSkye posted:

That chest left neglected in the background is bothering me more than it should.

lmao he left a precursor behind

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Next expansion will be kralkatorrik and opens the way for LS5 into elona.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

ApeHawk posted:

What happens when we run out of dragons?

Do we go to space?

My guess is that we won't run out of dragons. There's six dragons, and three and a half years later, we've only killed two. If they're going to dole them out one per expansion, then by the time we're a couple more dragons in, GW2 itself will be getting long in the tooth. If that is indeed how they'll be handled, GW2 may not even get to them all.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is this even true though? I don't remember any of this for sure, but I thought the reason that Cantha and Elona are cut off now had something to do with the rise of the dragons. So, my reasoning goes, since Tyrians have no way to communicate with other areas, they wouldn't be able to know what's going on out there, which would include knowing about the dragon situation in other parts of the world. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well we know the number of dragons based on the old dwarven/jotun lore as well as your psychadelic trip through the mists at the end of LS2. So no, apparently central tyria is the only dragonified continent. I mean unless cantha has the water dragon, which would kinda make sense actually. Prophecies had glint, and that one mountian range above ascalon I the blood legion territories was actually kalk. Factions had that one winged serpent dragon who kinda was the glint of that standalone expansion. Maybe she was the water dragon's champion or something.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Aleph Null posted:

Let Palawa Joko show Zhaitan how to do undead with style?

Would legitimately love this.
It could allow for them to have another set of more laid back zones. Rather than ponying up the resources to fight a local lord, the Pact says it's "you're job, not ours. We fight dragons." And you have a valid reason for not having every zone be a warzone 100% of the time: the PCs are the only ones interested in freeing Elona. Everyone else thinks they have bigger fish to fry.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm so sick of killing god drat undead things in games. Ghosts and Zombies are cool if it's a game or expansion with a solid story arc in which Ghosts and Zombies are the singular enemy. Why are they there gathered in one convenient area when we are being told by the story that they are trying to take over the world? Lazy writing and a lack of creativity is why, designers go "well the undead are cool and will fill space" and just slap them in yet again with the same old tired backstory, where as mmo gamers wouldn't miss them one tiny bit.

Give us dragons to kill, Dragon makes nest, hero slays dragon, everyone likes that. Give us a pack of wolves that have taken over a forest to murder. Bad wizard has enchanted everyone in a town and we have to fight our way through an area to go stab the bastard, cool. Mafia, cartels, pirates, all reasonable and believable targets which could have interesting storylines. Undead are just boring

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
No troll the krait/nightmare court that you had to stomp were super cool.

Also bring back rollerbeetles.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Palwala's undead are cool though. They aren't mindless zombies or all controlled through a dragon hivemind. They're just dead dudes who serve palwala. Hell if you having to round up his old servants after he gets freed in gw1 is any indication, they don't even have to serve him. I remember most of them being fed up with the guy and kinda just begrudgingly doing what he says cause he's the king or whatever. So if anything it'll be better than just having to kill regular zombies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the palawa joko stuff in gw1 was actually really fun to go through. partly because the area was neat, and also because they weren't just boring mindless creatures.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For all my dislike of the undead. If I were king I would have a zombie PVP island. You get a shitload of XP and gear for doing quests on it but on the downside if you get bitten by a zombie you get turned into a zombie for 24 hours and get PVP points for killing other players.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That sounds incredibly hard to balance. Make the zombies too shambling and zombie-like and you make players-as-zombies a horrible experience, but make the player-zombies too agile and they're just PvP players with a zombie skin.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was thinking PVP player with a zombie skin and a separate set of zombie skills. The main problem would be balancing the zombie bite, maybe something like for every 10 players/player zombies you kill you get one bite available for a set time. To keep it interesting events every few hours could be a thing with, something like blue zombies VS red zombies group events. Although for me repeatedly killing the same guy over and over without biting him as he gets increasingly pissed off at not being able to complete the quest for the best sword in the game would be reward enough. You would have no problem getting PVP players to come on to the island but the rewards would have to be something really special to get PVE carebears/targets to come play, which is kind of the point of zombie island/griefers paradise.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Reminds of that one beta weekend clusterfuck with the Branded in Ashford - you had players who were killed by the Branded turn into Branded themselves, and could attack regular players but only use the waypoints in one side of the map. It would have been great except the two starter waypoints up by the BC entrance never got taken out, so the unbranded players just infinitely respawned. The endgame was getting the level 80 Rytlock to fight the level 80 Branded Devourer, but they never wandered anywhere near each other on the map I was on and just one-shot every player they got in range of. Still fun, just needed some more work, should totally have been brought back and fixed like Southsun Survival was.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ItBurns posted:

No troll the krait/nightmare court that you had to stomp were super cool.

Also bring back rollerbeetles.

:agreed:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Undead are great. Killing them is guilt-free.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I still maintain that there needs to be an Orr rush to round out the other terrible level 80 zone rushes (crabs and quaggan). Turn into Risen and try to escape from enemy mobs that look and act like player characters. :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I was thinking PVP player with a zombie skin and a separate set of zombie skills. The main problem would be balancing the zombie bite, maybe something like for every 10 players/player zombies you kill you get one bite available for a set time. To keep it interesting events every few hours could be a thing with, something like blue zombies VS red zombies group events. Although for me repeatedly killing the same guy over and over without biting him as he gets increasingly pissed off at not being able to complete the quest for the best sword in the game would be reward enough. You would have no problem getting PVP players to come on to the island but the rewards would have to be something really special to get PVE carebears/targets to come play, which is kind of the point of zombie island/griefers paradise.

Guild 4 Dead 2 sounds fun as hell. I always have a really good time when MMOs do players as zombies type stuff.

My dream would be having the zombie battleground be something like procedurally generated ruined cities that you can glide around in and loot while zombie players try to stop you, with a couple different classes of zombie - something along the lines of a ranged spitter zombie that lays AOEs and can bring down fliers with some sort of skillshot, a light leaper that can readily traverse between buildings but isn't really tough enough to solo humans generally (but two would have a reasonable shot, and scouts would be able to mark humans and light them up for other zombies for a short period of time), and tougher melee fighters that can only traverse between buildings by losing a story of altitude or so. Best loot is in the lower levels, even basements, of buildings, with maybe some penthouses both sides know about that are high value softer targets, but likely to be guarded.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 20, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Illuyankas posted:

Reminds of that one beta weekend clusterfuck with the Branded in Ashford - you had players who were killed by the Branded turn into Branded themselves, and could attack regular players but only use the waypoints in one side of the map. It would have been great except the two starter waypoints up by the BC entrance never got taken out, so the unbranded players just infinitely respawned. The endgame was getting the level 80 Rytlock to fight the level 80 Branded Devourer, but they never wandered anywhere near each other on the map I was on and just one-shot every player they got in range of. Still fun, just needed some more work, should totally have been brought back and fixed like Southsun Survival was.

Is this why Plains of Ashford has no world boss fight?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

does it make the VRRM VRRRM noise that the RC car makes

cause vrrm vrrmmm

It does and it's loving amazing, literally sounds and looks like a mad max vehicle zooming around wvw, it's the great thing in the entire game

AzureSkye posted:

it contained a blue sword and 17 dragonite ore

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Really, GW2 made a bad mistake when it made every dragon rely on mindless minions. It makes them all so boring and same-y. I was really disappointed to see Faolainn get a line of interesting characterization for the first time in HoT, then become a dragon minion and have her personality replaced with the same personality all dragon minions have.

I'd like to see them shake it up a bit, like by revealing that the Sons of Svanir have infected Jormag with their own neuroses (since the dragons need to consume other minds to be intelligent) so that they're effectively in control of his whole operation, so that he's pleading the world... take over the world... and they're all "Yeah, yeah, but first we have to strip funding from women's health care."

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Really, GW2 made a bad mistake when it made every dragon rely on mindless minions. It makes them all so boring and same-y. I was really disappointed to see Faolainn get a line of interesting characterization for the first time in HoT, then become a dragon minion and have her personality replaced with the same personality all dragon minions have.

I'd like to see them shake it up a bit, like by revealing that the Sons of Svanir have infected Jormag with their own neuroses (since the dragons need to consume other minds to be intelligent) so that they're effectively in control of his whole operation, so that he's pleading the world... take over the world... and they're all "Yeah, yeah, but first we have to strip funding from women's health care."

This is a glorious post that, in a just universe, would be canon.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Rand Brittain posted:

Eh, honestly that characterization isn't anything more than what we've already seen. As for her being replaced by a mindless minion, it was shown at the end of HoT that all the mindless minion obeying thing for mordremoth is actually him using his own make-believe imaginary friend version of each character. Which is how you could subvert each of his adds during the final boss to be your own best-buddies. If he pulled in faolin you probably could get her to fight alongside you as well. It wasn't the real one, but a super fake headcannon poo poo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I still maintain that there needs to be an Orr rush to round out the other terrible level 80 zone rushes (crabs and quaggan). Turn into Risen and try to escape from enemy mobs that look and act like player characters. :allears:

Put in an Orr Guild Rush while also reverting back to the release version of Orr.

I would redownload the game to play this at least once.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

No more Planned Eirenthood

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Sprite141 posted:

Eh, honestly that characterization isn't anything more than what we've already seen. As for her being replaced by a mindless minion, it was shown at the end of HoT that all the mindless minion obeying thing for mordremoth is actually him using his own make-believe imaginary friend version of each character. Which is how you could subvert each of his adds during the final boss to be your own best-buddies. If he pulled in faolin you probably could get her to fight alongside you as well. It wasn't the real one, but a super fake headcannon poo poo.

Wait a sec...that's what was going on? I guess the :420: Dragon got to me pretty hard...

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

J3ng4 posted:

Wait a sec...that's what was going on? I guess the :420: Dragon got to me pretty hard...

Yeah, basically each dragon has a weakness. Mordremoth's weakness was the dream, and you steal the dream from him. Zhaitan's weakness was the corruption of orr. By healing the corruption the big bad dragon became stupidly weak amd easy to kill. Yes, this is anet's explaination to him being such a stupidly easy boss.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vargs posted:

Put in an Orr Guild Rush while also reverting back to the release version of Orr.

I would redownload the game to play this at least once.

What was up with release Orr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was looking to see if any of the named Mordrem were actually npcs you could meet in the world, but in one of the hugest wastes of opportunity in the game only Blademaster Diarmid has a mention, as far as I can see, as a Pact soldier Occam once knew (no idea where he is when he can say this in dialogue, oh well) but reading about the other dragon champions has revealed some... dumb things.

Did you know that Destiny's Edge killed one of Jormag's champions (an ice skeleton with a cow skull head and white robes because clothes are for monsters as well as people) by Snaff piloting his cephalolithopathic golem made entirely out of sand grains that each had a tiny powerstone attached so that it became Sandman: golem edition, named Sandy, and collapsing a tunnel on top of it?

Or that one of Primordius' champions, an amorphous figure made of lava and magma that was also shaped like a stone mantis, had a bow that shot fire arrows that were so powerful anything they set on fire couldn't be put out? Or that Eir shot it with one of its own arrows and burned the actual lava monster to death?

Did you know people paid money for these books?

• Locked thread