Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

LupusAter posted:

I doubt it. To me, Sanji's face in the final panel reads more as "gently caress I've been found out" than disbelief. Sanji's surname was never revealed, right?

Not until that chapter no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Which of the crew have had chapters named about them being a member? There are still a few missing right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

Which of the crew have had chapters named about them being a member? There are still a few missing right?

Only Chopper and Robin

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I gotta wonder of this is one of those plot twists that was planned from the start or if Oda just decided to wing it here.

I mean Oda's decent at integrating his embellished character into the mainline narrative, but when he's cashing in a long-awaited plot chip, poo poo usually hits the fan in the best way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given Mr. Prince, repeated wanted poster shenanigans, the love of chivalry, and such it's likely Noble Sanji has been planned for quote a while.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm calling Chopper saving the day by expanding inside Capone's body and becoming around the same size

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Parrotine posted:

I gotta wonder of this is one of those plot twists that was planned from the start or if Oda just decided to wing it here.

I mean Oda's decent at integrating his embellished character into the mainline narrative, but when he's cashing in a long-awaited plot chip, poo poo usually hits the fan in the best way.

I don't think it was planned out anymore than saying he was a noble at birth, ran away to be a chef, and ended up a pirate. Stuff like his family history, connection to Big Mom, that kinda stuff wasn't thought out until now.

On another note, what would happen if someone with a devil fruit that could increase their size started to grow inside Capone? If he's a castle man, is his body stone and can be repaired if damaged? Or is it more like there's a separate dimension inside him that his castle occupies and his body is otherwise normal?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shoren posted:

I don't think it was planned out anymore than saying he was a noble at birth, ran away to be a chef, and ended up a pirate. Stuff like his family history, connection to Big Mom, that kinda stuff wasn't thought out until now.

On another note, what would happen if someone with a devil fruit that could increase their size started to grow inside Capone? If he's a castle man, is his body stone and can be repaired if damaged? Or is it more like there's a separate dimension inside him that his castle occupies and his body is otherwise normal?

I think it's just like how Wapol worked with his fruit. Body follows convenient cartoon laws, but it's pretty much made up on the spot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do the people in Capone's body eat the same food he eats?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do the people in Capone's body eat the same food he eats?

Do they poop?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jibo posted:

Do they poop?
There must be bathrooms that connect to Capone's rectum.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Some fan-art of Kaidou vs Shanks and Luffy I found:

Sorry about the crappy watermark. :shrug: Still, definitely looking forward to seeing Kaidou in action. The second pic does bring an interesting point up: what if the "tattoo" is actually just a permanent intricate Haki pattern kind of like Luffy's flames design-looking "tattoo" in Gear Fourth?

Also, didn't think of this before, but what if Bartolomeo's Barrier ability a veiled reference to breaking the fourth wall? He's pretty much the every-man One Piece fan, after all. :aaaaa:

Bonus:

Gear Fourth animated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpzGTSx_1zk

Rhino Schneider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7bPPgLTqk

I still think it came off as feeling more intense/lightning-fast in the manga especially with Rhino Schneider, but oh well. :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 17, 2016

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The anime always makes the attacks really slow and drawn out, when the manga makes it feel like it's happening much faster.

Then there's stuff like Jinbei's punch in Impel Down that took almost an entire episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Some fan-art of Kaidou vs Shanks and Luffy I found:

Sorry about the crappy watermark. :shrug: Still, definitely looking forward to seeing Kaidou in action. The second pic does bring an interesting point up: what if the "tattoo" is actually just a permanent intricate Haki pattern kind of like Luffy's flames design-looking "tattoo" in Gear Fourth?

Also, didn't think of this before, but what if Bartolomeo's Barrier ability a veiled reference to breaking the fourth wall? He's pretty much the every-man One Piece fan, after all. :aaaaa:

Bonus:

Gear Fourth animated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpzGTSx_1zk

Rhino Schneider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7bPPgLTqk

I still think it came off as feeling more intense/lightning-fast in the manga especially with Rhino Schneider, but oh well. :shrug:

Obviously, the fighting should be much faster paced. The Whole point before his transformation was that Luffy's big attacks were too slow, whereas here they are supposedly "fast" enough to catch Dolfy off guard, but it doesn't come across in animation well. Another problem is that Luffy should be mush more kinetic, like a freaking super ball bouncing, not just lightly bopping up and down. On to of that, the arm attack in the air just did a clever bait and switch in the manga, where in the anime it stetches like miles, which vvery much did not seem like a thing it could do in the manga. And, as others have said, the transformation and arm attack sequences don't look right, because they are too "fleshy", looking like something out of Akira.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, here's hoping for One Piece Kai.

...In 20-30 years. :smithicide:

edit: Still hard to believe all the screaming and roaring Luffy does is by this sweet-looking 61-year old lady:

I'm betting Luffy will learn to awaken his Devil Fruit powers around the time he fights Kaidou. He'll probably lose a few times first like he did with Crocodile/Lucci, but then come around to score a win under desperate circumstances. It'll probably be something nuts like "injecting" rubber-like rippling into the air/an opponent's body/ricocheting the shockwave of his hits off the air like a pseudo-Whitebeard quake power. Be able to bypass Haki shielding by rippling his attacks through his opponent or attack from a distance by "punching" the air and all that.

Either that, or learn a new Gear Fifth or Gear Overdrive/Manual by strengthening his blood flow/bones/muscle all once. Is there anything more than blood/bones/muscle Luffy can even enhance at this point? Maybe his nervous system for faster reaction times? Just idle speculation.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 17, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

haha they made gear four look real bad instead of just silly

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

edit: Still hard to believe all the screaming and roaring Luffy does is by this sweet-looking 61-year old lady:

I'm betting Luffy will learn to awaken his Devil Fruit powers around the time he fights Kaidou. He'll probably lose a few times first like he did with Crocodile/Lucci, but then come around to score a win under desperate circumstances. It'll probably be something nuts like "injecting" rubber-like rippling into the air/an opponent's body/ricocheting the shockwave of his hits off the air like a pseudo-Whitebeard quake power. Be able to bypass Haki shielding by rippling his attacks through his opponent or attack from a distance by "punching" the air and all that.

Either that, or learn a new Gear Fifth or Gear Overdrive/Manual by strengthening his blood flow/bones/muscle all once. Is there anything more than blood/bones/muscle Luffy can even enhance at this point? Maybe his nervous system for faster reaction times? Just idle speculation.

I would assume it would involve his nervous system somehow, yeah. Stretching it, compressing it, just applying Color of Observation to it really hard, whatever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Then someone will remark they've not seen that technique since Roger. And we get a flashback to him using it against Whitebeard or Kaidou or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gear fifth Luffy becomes a reject dial.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gear fifth Luffy becomes a reject dial.

This makes sense. Any damage Luffy receives is stored up and then sprung back into the attacker. Any properties of rubber/springs (Luffy is basically Bellamy 2.0 in his mastery over his DF powers) or cars with stored energy that this would make sense with?

Joke answer: Luffy literally becomes a Toyota Prius in Gear Fifth. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Awakened Luffy will basically be Plastic Man. He can make himself and at the very least his clothes any shape and maintain that shape instead of springing back. Unless he wants to spring back. Any time someone hits him, his body will stretch and deform quickly so that the energy of the hit diffuses throughout his new shape, leaving him unharmed.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tsob posted:

Awakened Luffy will basically be Plastic Man. He can make himself and at the very least his clothes any shape and maintain that shape instead of springing back. Unless he wants to spring back. Any time someone hits him, his body will stretch and deform quickly so that the energy of the hit diffuses throughout his new shape, leaving him unharmed.

This is also plausible. Considering how supposedly monstrously strong and invulnerable Kaidou is, Luffy would probably need to ante up on his defensive abilities to withstand hits by the guy.

The Immortal Man vs the Invincible Man, basically. An irresistible force meets an immovable object, etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm just waiting for Luffy to break out the final property of rubber we've all been waiting for. Gear R Eraserman.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why does Doflamingo's wire look like it's on fire

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Baal posted:

Why does Doflamingo's wire look like it's on fire

The attack is called "Overheat" which is also a string pun in Japanese, I guess that's why they figure it should look hot. Don't think too much about it.

What I'm more confused about is why Gear Fourth makes Luffy talk super slow.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

What I'm more confused about is why Gear Fourth makes Luffy talk super slow.

It's a trope in Kabuki theater for the hero/protagonist to speak in an absurdly drawn-out, emphatic, and overly dramatic tone as well as exaggerated physical features like bouncing on one foot, fierce face and hand gestures, face paint, etc. This is in stark contrast to the minimalism of Noh theater. :eng101:

Kumadori of CP9 is a much, much straighter and more direct example of Kabuki tropes.

On that same note, No-Face in Spirited Away is at least a partial physical reference to Noh theater tropes (masks, quiet speech, subtle movements, etc).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 17, 2016

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
So the awakened String-String fruit allows Mingo to make strings out of the ground. What if Gear Fifth involves Luffy making the terrain into a giant bounce house?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's a trope in Kabuki theater for the hero/protagonist to speak in an absurdly drawn-out, emphatic, and overly dramatic tone as well as exaggerated physical features like bouncing on one foot, fierce face and hand gestures, face paint, etc. This is in stark contrast to the minimalism of Noh theater. :eng101:

Plus Oda is a massive Kabuki nerd and makes references to it whenever he can.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Kumadori of CP9 is a much, much straighter and more direct example of Kabuki tropes.

On that same note, No-Face in Spirited Away is at least a partial physical reference to Noh theater tropes (masks, quiet speech, subtle movements, etc).

Noh theater? That's my favorite!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That makes a lot more sense now. I recognized the initial transformation with Luffy's face and pose and all that, but I didn't realize the speaking style was reminiscent of it as well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

That makes a lot more sense now. I recognized the initial transformation with Luffy's face and pose and all that, but I didn't realize the speaking style was reminiscent of it as well.

Check it out! It's quite neat. :)

Also, you'll probably recognize the Lion Dance from somewhere... (Hint: rewatch Kumadori and Shiki)

Alternate Lion Dance

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Fuckshoes posted:

So the awakened String-String fruit allows Mingo to make strings out of the ground. What if Gear Fifth involves Luffy making the terrain into a giant bounce house?

Plus Oda is a massive Kabuki nerd and makes references to it whenever he can.

Luffy having a bounce house power makes me smile. Think about how happy it would make Chopper.

I'm also picturing Zoro and Sanji bouncing around at speed and slashing/kicking enemies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the crew is up against a guy with the Fort-Fort Fruit. It's only a matter of time before Luffy awakens his Fruit. Conclusion?

Capone's going to get turned into a motherfucking bouncy castle. :getin:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Capone's going to get turned into a motherfucking bouncy castle. :getin:

This is the best One Piece theory I've ever read. Almost certainly too good to be true sadly.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Luffy won't awaken his fruit til he fights Kaido, I'm betting.

So seeya in 2018, I guess :shrug:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Luffy won't awaken his fruit til he fights Kaido, I'm betting.

So seeya in 2018, I guess :shrug:

Yeah, even if Luffy is the one who fights Capone, the dude's just not a big enough threat to justify such a huge upgrade. It'll either be against Big Mom or Kaido.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm not sure i like the idea of devil fruit awakening but i think i'd have preferred it to haki or something idk

or gear 4 is luffy awakened i guess it won't be so bad

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

dordreff posted:

Yeah, even if Luffy is the one who fights Capone, the dude's just not a big enough threat to justify such a huge upgrade. It'll either be against Big Mom or Kaido.

Unless he starts firing swords or actual seastone bullets he won't really pose a threat to Luffy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Awakening just appears to be devil fruit+ (in the case of Zoans) and/or being able to apply the effects to the world in your direct vicinity instead of just yourself (in the case of at least paramecias). I've no idea why you'd possibly have a problem with that, since it's not fundamentally any different than normal devil fruit behavior really. I wonder if Logia's can awaken them in some different way or if it's just Zoans that are different.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i guess i didn't mind the idea that awakened zoan's traded brute force for diminished intelligence or whatever since they transform into animals but its a bit like haki in that it makes things like the battle of marineford look a bit silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think Chopper's Monster Giant (dunno the actual name) form is him awakening his devil fruit powers but hasn't been named as such because nobody on the Straw Hat crew really knows about awakening powers.