Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Random Hajile posted:

A decent player can't beat the online version in the time limit already, it takes multiple goes unless you're lucky and walk in just as everyone else has it mostly dead (the "grace period").

ok then i wont worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Khanstant posted:

It's odd, you'd think a game this old would have a great Google base to search for all these little questions but its mostly lovely gameFAQs goobers withcdumb and wildly conflicting advice.
For whatever reason (speculate!), it feels like popular console games never get the well-organized user-documentation that popular PC-titles get (unless they also release on PC).

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Eonwe posted:

ok then i wont worry about it

If you go into offline mode, you can fight a version that you can kill in one go under level 100 if you know what you're doing. It doesn't drop everything the online version can, though.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
To be clear, the grace period is where the Ur-Dragon is at like 0,1 HP for everyone. All you have to do is hit each of his 30 hearts once to kill him in that stage. back on the 360 that period lasted about 2 hours.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I only got to play this for an hour or so last night, but I really liked it

I had a dragons dogma dream, lmao

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haha god drat, talk about a difficulty spike on the Final Battle quest. Up until then I was breezing through everything pretty easily, killing most things in just a few seconds. But now every single enemy takes almost a minute of wailing on them until they die, and I can't for the life of me get past that loving black chimera. No matter how much damage I pile on that goat head, it just heals itself faster than I can kill it.

Welp, time to go back and see if I can find some better weapons or something.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Ur-Dragon be dead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Haha god drat, talk about a difficulty spike on the Final Battle quest. Up until then I was breezing through everything pretty easily, killing most things in just a few seconds. But now every single enemy takes almost a minute of wailing on them until they die, and I can't for the life of me get past that loving black chimera. No matter how much damage I pile on that goat head, it just heals itself faster than I can kill it.

Welp, time to go back and see if I can find some better weapons or something.

When you get to the boss of that quest, remember: It seems like it should be weak to ice. It is not. It is instead extremely weak to darkness. Take a Mage or Sorcerer with Dark Affinity (if you're not one yourself) and if you can find one who can cast Maelstrom, even better.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Sorry I couldn't rate ShadowMar's pawn 5 all round but she fell in the water in the water God's temple. :(

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It's been a long time since I ran a Warrior instead of a Fighter pawn. Which Inclinations should I be shooting for with a smashy type? Scather/Challenger?

I like to stack Bastion and Fortitude with Impact, for Warrior Pawns. Just make them tanky as gently caress with a ton of knockdown power.

Sinew and Leg-Strength are both good to keep their weight down.

It's mostly about Corona and the Lunge skill. They seem to overuse Lash if you give it to them, but it's not too bad if you have both Bastion and Fortitude. Slap Temerity on there as well and worst case they won't be taking much damage if they're just tossing a random lash in there (half damage while charging skills). For the most part, you can just stick every single warrior aug on the guy and it'll work great. Just substitute Audacity for another augment, because it doesn't actually benefit warrior charge skills... go figure.

Scather and mitigator/challenger are good, but if you want to try something really strange, give them a magnanimous cloak with utilitarian/medicant up there as secondary or something and they'll heal up the little chip damage, which will bleed off to the rest of your party. Just remember to give the guy a stash of items. This goes double for mushrooms. It's kinda rad when it seems like you just can't go completely stamina deplete because your warrior buddy is scarfing mushrooms. But that's a really bizarre sort of pawn build that plays on the idea that warriors are going to be tanking through damage a lot of the time. Most people looking for hires are probably going to look for scather & challenger/mitigator.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Praseodymi posted:

Sorry I couldn't rate ShadowMar's pawn 5 all round but she fell in the water in the water God's temple. :(

it's ok, it happens to the best of us

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, I need to find a good farming place for Vocation ranks fast, because I'm noticing I'm using the aeriel Heavy attack as a sorcerer than actual spell casting.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Karanas posted:

Ur-Dragon be dead

It's nice to get a million gold or 20 retries for no work at this stage. Almost luxurious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Something that should be added to the tips section in the OP is that pawn's lanterns never run out of oil so there is no reason to not toss them on your pawns. I completely forgot about that until just now :eng99:

Also got my first pawn rental payout, 6k crystals. 4 stars on everything but appearance at 5 stars. Seems copying my 360 pawn's build/appearance is gonna work perfect for the PC version.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As a quick thing, here's a little If You Only Have Room for One Elemental Buff, Bring These guide:

Main game - Fire. The only strong exception to this is if you're going off to fight that one Drake out in the middle of a field somewhere, but it should be pretty obvious that thing's not weak to fire.
"The Final Battle" Quest - Darkness.
Everfall - Holy unless you're targeting a specific room and monster and know its weakness.
Bitterblack Isle - Lightning. The exception to this would be the last few bosses, who are weak to Holy instead.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ur Dragon is in grace period.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
The wiki says the Impact augment is bugged, is this still the case in the PC version?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Tae posted:

Man, I need to find a good farming place for Vocation ranks fast, because I'm noticing I'm using the aeriel Heavy attack as a sorcerer than actual spell casting.

Check the wiki page I linked, it has a route that's supposed to work well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Harrow posted:

As a quick thing, here's a little If You Only Have Room for One Elemental Buff, Bring These guide:

Main game - Fire. The only strong exception to this is if you're going off to fight that one Drake out in the middle of a field somewhere, but it should be pretty obvious that thing's not weak to fire.
"The Final Battle" Quest - Darkness.
Post-game and Bitterblack Isle - Holy.

I'd argue Lightning is more useful in large sections of Bitterblack Isle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dexo posted:

I'd argue Lightning is more useful in large sections of Bitterblack Isle.

Yeah, you're probably right. I should change that to "Lightning most of the time, Holy for select bosses."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Karanas posted:

Ur-Dragon be dead

Thanks, took him out with a level 47 Arisen easily and immediately gained four levels.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Basically everything in BBI is weak to lightning, especially the random encounters you'll probably get on your first run through it. Garms, Elder Ogres, Cockatrice(s), all Saurians. The only things that are weak to Holy are the cursed dragons, really.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Alright gently caress this, I did everything right in the Golden Idol quest but near the very end the game hitched and I barely ran into her (like, scraped her arm), which apparently was enough for the Egg instead.

I want my idol. Is there an item table for cheatengine yet or something? it probably doesn't matter that much but I'm angry enough that I don't care.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah the Ur Dragon died in one hit to me. There was only one heart lit up.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

90s Shoes posted:

Alright gently caress this, I did everything right in the Golden Idol quest but near the very end the game hitched and I barely ran into her (like, scraped her arm), which apparently was enough for the Egg instead.

I want my idol. Is there an item table for cheatengine yet or something? it probably doesn't matter that much but I'm angry enough that I don't care.

For future reference if you're worried about loving this up: sleep at the inn before trying the quest. That gives you a checkpoint save, separate from your regular save. So if you don't get the Golden Idol, you can revert to your last checkpoint and try again.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm using fire for my buffs except for when I'm doing something with "crypt" in the name or something because skeletons are not weak to fire and also they're assholes and also also there are some undead that like to explode and pawns that like to stand right next to the exploding undead for a fun ride through the air.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. I should change that to "Lightning most of the time, Holy for select bosses."

Everyone should strive to rarify a rusted weapon for their class of choice as well. Torpor is so useful it should be an actual video game tutorial of its own.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Orv posted:

Everyone should strive to rarify a rusted weapon for their class of choice as well. Torpor is so useful it should be an actual video game tutorial of its own.

The best is having a rarified Rusty Magick Shield, because then you can use Abyssal Anguish to give torpor to any weapon you want to use.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Was the prologue meant to be that confusing and abrupt? I died and it immediately launched me into character creation with no fanfare or explanation.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Was the prologue meant to be that confusing and abrupt? I died and it immediately launched me into character creation with no fanfare or explanation.

Yeah.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

pawn rewards work fine for me but is the friends list still busted for anyone else? i get 24 pawns on it but i have way more friends whose pawns i can't see on there and have to find them manually

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Well you're supposed to make it to the end and kill the tutorial boss, but gj being a scrub I guess.

Also it is hilarious how weak grace period Ur is this early on. When I played on PS3 and it was in the 200s, you pretty much had to have a min/maxed build to kill it there. Got it in ~20 seconds here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so if its grace period though, I have a shot of killing the Ur-Dragon in the next week or so?

also Genocyber I saw your probation and that was a good webm

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i feel like we are kindred spirits

we shitpost, we like Undertale, we like anime

its good

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Dammit people why can't you line up your stupid Ur grace period with my work schedule? Going to have to pray for a weekend kill.

Also the Living Armor before the final stretch of BBI is confirmed hardest boss in the game. That jerk combines shield near-immunity with physical immunity and pawns go on a buff strike after the initial round. :/

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Eonwe posted:

so if its grace period though, I have a shot of killing the Ur-Dragon in the next week or so?

also Genocyber I saw your probation and that was a good webm

Yes you have a shot right now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

It only lasts a few hours IIRC. Not the biggest deal if you miss it; as long as it's on an early gen the grace period online Ur is fairly easy to kill, so you'll get plenty more chances.

Eonwe posted:

i feel like we are kindred spirits

we shitpost, we like Undertale, we like anime

its good

:hfive:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mailer posted:

Dammit people why can't you line up your stupid Ur grace period with my work schedule? Going to have to pray for a weekend kill.

Also the Living Armor before the final stretch of BBI is confirmed hardest boss in the game. That jerk combines shield near-immunity with physical immunity and pawns go on a buff strike after the initial round. :/

Have you done a second run through BBI? A single one of those dudes aint poo poo. I don't even bother completing phase 2 BBI on my solo melee playthroughs because I'd just have to sprint past most of the rooms to make any progress.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
If anyone is currently using Rowsdower, release him and grab him again for a surprise.

On another note: Hard Mode Death is my bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Since the pawn stuff is working again, hire J.C!
Alot of my friend's list can't actually see him which is weird.
Kasz in the group.

He's a level 29 big buff tanky dude who is a fighter but training as a warrior for augments. Mitigator/Utilitarian/Scather.

I'll change him back when I get them and he can get along to taking all the hits

I did get 4k crystals from a random person and a rock from a friend. It put me at 99 rocks!

I'm liking this game.