Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Took a call 15 minutes before clocking-out-time from one of my favourite remote users. Holding his hand through 2FA logon with a one-time-password was, as always, frustrating, but nothing I haven't done dozens of times before, but then this:

:phoneb: OK, I've reset your PIN. Can you try-
:awesomelon: (female American voice at deafening volume) 50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY
:phoneb: .......
:phone: Did you hear that?
:phoneb: ...yes?
:phone: It's been doing that for days.
:phoneb: ..........is that coming from one of our machines?!
:phone: Yeah. It's really annoyi-
:awesomelon: 50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY
:phone: -ng.

It happened a bunch more times during the call, and although I was running late it took everything in me not to laugh because of the sheer absurdity of it. It'll be lovely malware, of course. Can't wait for that machine to come back in!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Aahahaha. "Yeah my computer has been telling me this every 3 minutes for the better part of a week, but I don't worry about it. 50 Cent seems like an honest guy. I might put a ticket in if this keeps up for another 6 days."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Wachter posted:

[...]

Get Pwned or Die Trying

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I would be embellishing if I said I'd heard relief in his voice when I confirmed that I could, in fact, hear the scary computer lady. But, seriously, the guy's a programmer; how do you put up with it for that long? How are you going to get any work done? loving mute it already.

Personally, I like to think he's holding out for the next thrilling installment in The 50 Cent Chronicles: The Case of The Stolen Jewelry.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Was the stolen jewelry a gem encrusted skull by any chance?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Wachter posted:

I would be embellishing if I said I'd heard relief in his voice when I confirmed that I could, in fact, hear the scary computer lady. But, seriously, the guy's a programmer; how do you put up with it for that long? How are you going to get any work done? loving mute it already.

Personally, I like to think he's holding out for the next thrilling installment in The 50 Cent Chronicles: The Case of The Stolen Jewelry.

Being a programmer does not automatically make you good at computering. Then again most of those I know that program and don't computer too good are in their 60's-70's and likely learned programming starting with punch cards.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
you can find me in your cache
Sneaking in through flash
look mami I got cryptowall, you into salted hash?
I'm into credit cards
I can't counterfeit the cash
I'm makin' PCs crash
Till they throw them in the trash

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ponzicar posted:

Was the stolen jewelry a gem encrusted skull by any chance?

According to a quick google search a jewler accused 50 Cent and G-Unit of beating him up and stealing 250k worth of jewelery about 8 months ago. I have no idea why someone's computer is screaming about it in January though.

Or at all.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Aahahaha. "Yeah my computer has been telling me this every 3 minutes for the better part of a week, but I don't worry about it. 50 Cent seems like an honest guy. I might put a ticket in if this keeps up for another 6 days."

Everyone around him hates him, so they set the *dink* noise windows makes to 90 seconds of silence followed by "50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY". People in my office would do that to people who left their machines unlocked, only it was 30 seconds of silence followed by this really obnoxious clown horn honking.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

According to a quick google search a jewler accused 50 Cent and G-Unit of beating him up and stealing 250k worth of jewelery about 8 months ago. I have no idea why someone's computer is screaming about it in January though.

Or at all.

It might be Cortana reading articles through Windows 10's news app? But it got stuck somehow?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Everyone around him hates him, so they set the *dink* noise windows makes to 90 seconds of silence followed by "50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY". People in my office would do that to people who left their machines unlocked, only it was 30 seconds of silence followed by this really obnoxious clown horn honking.

Holy poo poo this is way better than changing backgrounds.

What's the powershell command for changing system sounds...

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Segmentation Fault posted:

you can find me in your cache
Sneaking in through flash
look mami I got cryptowall, you into salted hash?
I'm into credit cards
I can't counterfeit the cash
I'm makin' PCs crash
Till they throw them in the trash

gold

Alighieri posted:

Being a programmer does not automatically make you good at computering. Then again most of those I know that program and don't computer too good are in their 60's-70's and likely learned programming starting with punch cards.

Oh no, I know; I meant: "how can you code with that poo poo blaring out of the speakers every few minutes?"

Segmentation Fault posted:

It might be Cortana reading articles through Windows 10's news app? But it got stuck somehow?

Nah, Windows 7 :shrug: edit: ah, I didn't realise you could get Cortana for Windows 7. But he can't have installed that unless he has admin rights. I hope nobody gave this guy admin rights.

Wachter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Segmentation Fault posted:

you can find me in your cache
Sneaking in through flash
look mami I got cryptowall, you into salted hash?
I'm into credit cards
I can't counterfeit the cash
I'm makin' PCs crash
Till they throw them in the trash

:golfclap:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i got a guy on the phone today who basically said "between you and me, 9/11 was a good plan"

:cripes:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i got a guy on the phone today who basically said "between you and me, 9/11 was a good plan"

:cripes:

Well to be fair, it proved more effective than some explosive vans in the carpark

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i got a guy on the phone today who basically said "between you and me, 9/11 was a good plan"

:cripes:

Sometimes I wish my team could coordinate as well as the terrorists. That timeline was spot on.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Everyone around him hates him, so they set the *dink* noise windows makes to 90 seconds of silence followed by "50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY". People in my office would do that to people who left their machines unlocked, only it was 30 seconds of silence followed by this really obnoxious clown horn honking.

Oh my god, this is both incredible and also my personal hell.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i got a guy on the phone today who basically said "between you and me, 9/11 was a good plan"

:cripes:

:stare:

Yeah, I, uh, I'm glad I work in a position where I don't have to take phone calls anymore.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I got a voicemail where a lady asked us for help getting Outlook as an icon on her desktop. She didn't even sound that old.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I got a voicemail where a lady asked us for help getting Outlook as an icon on her desktop. She didn't even sound that old.

You should feel grateful for these. The other option is her calling and screaming "EMAIL DOESN'T WORK!"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our Outlook issues are 99% "Outlook is working offline"-related.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010

anthonypants posted:

I got a voicemail where a lady asked us for help getting Outlook as an icon on her desktop. She didn't even sound that old.

We had someone walk into the IT office and tell the secretary Outlook wasn't installed on his computer. Outlook is standard on our images. He just didn't have the icon on his desktop. The secretary proceeded to try and tell him how to grab a shortcut from the start menu and he started berating her about what did IT actually do all summer and that it's our job to make sure he had all of his icons and he didn't have time to deal with this. That is the general attitude with a decent number of people around here and I would gladly take a polite phone call asking for a shortcut any day.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

You should feel grateful for these. The other option is her calling and screaming "EMAIL DOESN'T WORK!"

The screaming emails are pretty rare, and for those we either hang up on them or close the voicemail ticket.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

The screaming emails are pretty rare, and for those we either hang up on them or close the voicemail ticket.

The Screaming Emails sounds like a disease. Or a 90s Seattle grunge band.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

flosofl posted:

The Screaming Emails sounds like a disease. Or a 90s Seattle grunge band.

wen u got screamin emails n u don get payd til friday

Sheep

From: Office manager (office@company.com)
To: helpdesk (helpdesk@company.com), Director of IT (dit@company.com), CEO (ceo@company.com), Marketing (marketing@company.com), Finance (finance@company.com), helpdesk (helpdesk@company.org), helpdesk (helpdesk@company.com), support (support@microsoft.com
CC: CEO (ceo@company.com)
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Subject: Toilet paper out
<End of message>

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 20, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A family member came in.

I've got a retired cousin whom I help out from time to time with his computer stuff. He is so disorganized that I want to scream. He recently replaced his tablet and his phone, which is leading to no end of disasters. His workflow, as far as I can tell, is something like this:

- Installs facebook/gplus/tumblr app on tablet/phone
- App requests password
- Can't remember password because his password method is a literally three notebooks of written down passwords, arranged in no particular order, with lots of old stuff scratched out.
- Changes his password so he can log in.
- Writes new password down in one of the three notebooks at random. May or may not remember to scratch out old password.
- Now computer has wrong password saved, asks for new password.
- Can't remember new password that he literally just changed less than twelve hours ago.
- Resets password again.

After a few rounds of this, he's managed to lock himself out of facebook/google/tumblr/whatever's password reset utilities for too many changes in too short an amount of time. It doesn't help that he can't wrap his head around a company having the same login on multiple sites (like appleID or google), so he changes his gmail password and doesn't understand why his google plus login stopped working.

Despite how bad of a practice it is, I'm about at the point of just, like, making him up a password, changing every single account login to it, and then writing that password on his arm in permanent ink.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bobulus posted:

Despite how bad of a practice it is, I'm about at the point of just, like, making him up a password, changing every single account login to it, and then writing that password on his arm in permanent ink.

Cousin Nitwit performs the Ritual of Pa'as-Wurd. The Gods look down upon him with great scorn, and smite his access privileges with furious anger!

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 20, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That was a big thing at my last job, and sorta understandable, all things considered.

We had two domains, for regulatory reasons. The two logins were similar 12345 and 12345corp.

A good chunk of programs used the active directory credentials. A lot of other ones did not, but still used employee numbers for the username.

It was kind of a pain.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bobulus posted:

[...]

Sounds like Memento, only with Notebooks instead of Polaroids.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

[...]

Lastpass, for its faults, has plugins for mobile devices and would be a way better approach than making his credentials as weak as some lovely vbulletin board.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Salesforce treats every e-mail in a chain as a new case if it's case taker e-mail is cc'd.

Oh Salesforce :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

To be fair, he's not dumb, just old and/or his medications are loving with his memory.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

We had a similar issue with a bunch of merchants who processed via an online portal service similar to Square. The service forces password changes every 90 days. It got to the point where we now default all merchant passwords to "<businessname>1", so it can be incremented to <businessname>2, <businessname>3, etc. etc..

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Everyone around him hates him, so they set the *dink* noise windows makes to 90 seconds of silence followed by "50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY". People in my office would do that to people who left their machines unlocked, only it was 30 seconds of silence followed by this really obnoxious clown horn honking.

IT Station 13

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

pr0digal posted:

Salesforce treats every e-mail in a chain as a new case if it's case taker e-mail is cc'd.

Oh Salesforce :allears:

Something similar often happens at my org when someone CCs the helpdesk on an email to several people and everyone else hits "reply to all."

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I recently witnessed a ticket on Salesforce Desk where someone managed to trigger their own Out of Office reply, which generated a new ticket, which was replied to again by the autoresponder. Thankfully it did not cascade out of control, but it was fun to watch for a while.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Everyone around him hates him, so they set the *dink* noise windows makes to 90 seconds of silence followed by "50 CENT HAS STOLEN QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS OF JEWELRY". People in my office would do that to people who left their machines unlocked, only it was 30 seconds of silence followed by this really obnoxious clown horn honking.

My favorite is changing the Windows login sound to a REALLY long song. It won't log in until the song is over, which means there's no way to mute it. I have no idea if that still works on current versions, but it was funny back in the day.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

My favorite is changing the Windows login sound to a REALLY long song. It won't log in until the song is over, which means there's no way to mute it. I have no idea if that still works on current versions, but it was funny back in the day.

I still think the Longhorn login sound was the best.

The most common mac prank I've seen is zooming in the screen all the way, which frustrates almost everyone because mighty mice always have broken scroll balls that don't scroll down, and nobody knows the key command to zoom out.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kaethela posted:

I recently witnessed a ticket on Salesforce Desk where someone managed to trigger their own Out of Office reply, which generated a new ticket, which was replied to again by the autoresponder. Thankfully it did not cascade out of control, but it was fun to watch for a while.

Exchange will only send out an OOO to any given email once every calendar day, just to prevent this exact scenario. Outlook running standalone has the same limit.

  • Locked thread