Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

There should be a heel stable of Ex-Alabama Quarterbacks who didn't make it in the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

Was Ryan Leaf a good football player?

Yes? And you basically explained why in your own post. I get that he couldn't hack it in the NFL if that's your measuring stick. But that's kinda like saying that if a guy was never WWE Champion then he sucked. That's a pretty crazy metric if you actually think about it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Not to diverge too much from the subject matter of the thread but it wasn't a lack of talent that prevented Leaf from making it in the NFL

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes? And you basically explained why in your own post. I get that he couldn't hack it in the NFL if that's your measuring stick. But that's kinda like saying that if a guy was never WWE Champion then he sucked. That's a pretty crazy metric if you actually think about it.

Not really, because the quality of a footballer is objective whereas the quality of a wrestler is subjective.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

Not really, because the quality of a footballer is objective whereas the quality of a wrestler is subjective.

It was the best analogy I could think of without just turning this into a TFF thread, sorry.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dsriggs posted:

Linemen would disagree.

Intruder posted:

"Roman Reigns was not good enough at football to have an NFL career"

Bold statement: No one who is good enough to have an NFL career is becoming a wrestler instead

Mongo.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

You can't fight destiny

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ryan leaf should have become a wrestler

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

ryan leaf should have become a wrestler

His drug problem woulda been every day poo poo in the wrestling business!

The stealing, not so much, though....

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 19, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Intruder posted:

Not to diverge too much from the subject matter of the thread but it wasn't a lack of talent that prevented Leaf from making it in the NFL
No, it wasn't, but Ryan Leaf was not a good NFL player. I was just trying to say that I think anyone saying "<person> is bad at football" is comparing them to the NFL, where those people intended to play. I can't imagine anyone would possibly say he's literally bad at playing the sport of football like I would be if I tried.

At the very least, nobody should be saying Roman isn't talented. He's athletic and all, he's just not Cena and it'd behoove the WWE to not push him like he is. Everything I'd say would be redundant, but I can't think of a worse way to shoot themselves in the foot after starting to get him over than the build to this Rumble.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

ayn rand hand job posted:

Linemen would disagree.

Mongo.

Vader was on a Super Bowl winning team.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Not only that he played alongside Terry Bradshaw, that's badass

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Was Alex Riley a good wrestler? Sure, he couldn't cut it as a top guy in WWE, but he could probably have a good career working for regional independent companies

Roman Reigns sucks btw

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's actually ok to critique things you don't have personal experience with, as it can be pretty easy to tell if a movie/song/food/athlete is good without having participated in the creation or field of that thing. This is a thing it is ok for people to do

you are not as good at the things you do professionally as reigns was at football

neither am i

because getting a place from two teams in the NFL before not making the grade for either is actually a very high bar to reach

there were many people better than him and a whole lot of people worse than him

the critique you're talking about is people hollering that a guy a few places below the top level is, in fact, the worst. this critique is wrong

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Was Alex Riley a good wrestler? Sure, he couldn't cut it as a top guy in WWE, but he could probably have a good career working for regional independent companies

he couldn't

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Roman Reigns sucks btw

You just called Riley good, opinion immediately invalid. Unless you're drawing an analogy between Reigns and Riley in which case that's dumb as gently caress too. Roman is overpushed but holy poo poo people, it's not as bad as some people act like it is. Roman needs the right person to work with, he's not a "carry a broom" type guy in a million years but he's more than done his part in many excellent matches even as a singles wrestler.

I'm convinced Roman could all of a sudden become a Bryan-esque ring general and people would still hate him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Riley could make a pretty good career of alienating himself from every indy locker room around the country and then doing a bunch of shoot interviews about how everyone is an rear end in a top hat but him. Call it the Cornette path.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Cornette actually drew money at one point in his career though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

Cornette actually drew money at one point in his career though.

Very true. I don't think Riley ever shat himself at a drive-thru though, so maybe it's a wash?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Very true. I don't think Riley ever shat himself at a drive-thru though, so maybe it's a wash?

Cornette threatened to kill fast food employees for messing up his order. Riley went to whine on twitter about it and try to get them fired.

Stranger and stranger.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You just called Riley good, opinion immediately invalid. Unless you're drawing an analogy between Reigns and Riley in which case that's dumb as gently caress too. Roman is overpushed but holy poo poo people, it's not as bad as some people act like it is. Roman needs the right person to work with, he's not a "carry a broom" type guy in a million years but he's more than done his part in many excellent matches even as a singles wrestler.

I'm convinced Roman could all of a sudden become a Bryan-esque ring general and people would still hate him.

No, I was drawing a comparison between Alex Riley and Ryan Leaf.

Roman Reigns is A LOT better than Alex Riley.

However, he was not a good football player unless your metric for 'good football player' is 'was he better than some average schlub sitting at home?' in which case, Alex Riley also is

The easiest way to tell that Roman Reigns football career was meaningless and not impressive is that the WWE doesn't bring it up constantly. Had he been an NFL talent, there's no doubt that JBL would mention it 8 times a match

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Shawne Merriman was good at football and almost became a wrestler but didnt

that guy is weird

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My favorite Merriman thing was when he tried to pick up some of the divas at a hotel by sending his agent over then got clowned by Punk on twitter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Did Roman have any ****+ games with Georgia Tech?

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
better wrestler: john rocker or ryan leaf?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Ostentatious posted:

Shawne Merriman was good at football and almost became a wrestler but didnt

that guy is weird

I imagine anybody who fucks Tila Tequila ends up that way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tila is a work

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

epitasis posted:

tila is a work

Hopefully she gets some help and doesn't work herself into a shoot :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Did Roman have any ****+ games with Georgia Tech?
No one has ****+ games with Georgia Tech.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Endless Mike posted:

No one has ****+ games with Georgia Tech.

Flair could carry a broomstick, but not even Calvin Johnson could carry Reggie Ball.

quote:

better wrestler: john rocker or ryan leaf?

Leaf merely had X-Pac heat. Heels nowadays would kill to have the "throwing batteries at you" heat that Rocker and JD Drew had.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 20, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the episode of nitro where vince russo challenges john rocker to a fight is extremely good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

the episode of nitro where vince russo challenges john rocker to a fight is extremely good

The SJWs won't let heels like Rocker get heat anymore. It's a different business.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Did a double take cause I thought that picture was some old GOP politician. Also Mike Quackenbush wrote that

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I don't get why people have this weird fetish for hardcore, bleeding everywhere matches.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

I don't get why people have this weird fetish for hardcore, bleeding everywhere matches.

They can be pretty awesome when done right. Lmao at people wanting a barbed wire bat spot in squeaky clean 2016 WWE though

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

ShootaBoy posted:

Spraying blood into the front row seats will sure teach those people to take the IC title seriously.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ryan Leaf was garbage.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ShootaBoy posted:

The final Lesnar/Taker match in the Cell had just a little blood and it was one of my favorite WWE matches from last year. By that virtue, if someone bleeds a bunch more, the match will be even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember their first hitc match where taker bled directly into Brock's mouth