Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The best thing about that image was when Jim posted it on Instagram and a bunch of his fans got butt hurt that he was referred to as a local comedian, oblivious to the article being 25 years old.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BigPoot posted:

Ron's art cred was thrown into question for me this past week when a caller asked him about Scott Walker (the musician), and he was completely oblivious to Walker's solo career. Might be a small hipster-ish thing, but I'd assume anyone who is always singing the praises of Bowie/Lou Reed/Velvet Underground would have had a passing familiarity. Again, I find Ron hilarious, but I don't think he's the wizened old master of what's "cool" that he (and many fans) thinks he is.

Pretty much this. Ron's a sweet guy and knows how to draw people out for comedy's sake, but he's a hipster. A funny one, however.

That reminds me, I need to listen to more Lou Reed and Scott Walker. Thanks!

MrChupon posted:

Does he still heat his pool to hot tub temperatures in the middle of the winter? I mean oil prices have dropped and all...

I would like to know that as well. Since he's no longer broadcasting daily out of his house, I wonder if he's cut expenses. I imagine he'll be saving a lot of money on not buying guns anymore.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/14285152340/videos/10153258673597341/

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Skinny Jimmy is ghoulish.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

JFC posted:

Ron claims to be a "movie guy" when anyone tries to talk up how good TV is now, but of all the Oscar nominated movies he's only seen The Martian (and that was this week on demand) and Mad Max which he blew off as a dumb action movie. The Revenant? "I don't like watching anything that makes me feel cold." Room? He doesn't like seeing kids in jeopardy. Spotlight? "Isn't Mark Ruffalo more of a TV actor?" The Big Short? "No more Christian Bale." Bridge of Spies or Brooklyn? "I don't want to watch something that might be a bad movie."

All those are valid reasons on their own, but together it doesn't make someone a movie guy. Ron is more of a Scorcese/Tarantino guy that also watches lovely tv like Big Brother and Gotham then complains how bad tv sucks. I'd like it if Gail pushed back a little to get him to expand his viewing. God knows Hicks won't.

ron is an old, boring gently caress who tries as desperately as possible to appear "cool" based on the 1980s and 90s framework of "cool". i love him for it but he is far from an actually current, on the pulse of new art type of guy

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
ron will talk about tom waits, but not captain beefheart. that's how you know.

he knows what was on the radio, and what was in trade magazines, and what was on tv and movies when he was a kid. he probably doesn't know poo poo about the band The Fall or the movie Hard To Be A God or whatever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Under the vegetable posted:

ron will talk about tom waits, but not captain beefheart. that's how you know.

he knows what was on the radio, and what was in trade magazines, and what was on tv and movies when he was a kid. he probably doesn't know poo poo about the band The Fall or the movie Hard To Be A God or whatever.

'why does the nearly 60 year old man - who spends most of his waking-life talking into a microphone, doing research for talking into a microphone or rewatching terrible movies on TV - not know about some faggy band and/or movie :qq:'

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

'why does the nearly 60 year old man - who spends most of his waking-life talking into a microphone, doing research for talking into a microphone or rewatching terrible movies on TV - not know about some faggy band and/or movie :qq:'

That's not what he's saying. What he's saying is that everyone calling him a 'hipster' looks like a clueless dork (they do).

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm a hipster. Scarves. The Mars Volta. Beards. Why's "Alopecia" album on limited edition coloured vinyl. AIDS.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

AIDS = Hipster

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I love this by the guy who runs the O and A reddit, it really sums the place up:

quote:

We got into Opie's head he can barley spit out a sentence without stuttering. Anthony is going to end up killing himself with the poo poo we put him through here.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Why the hell do either of them even go on to reddit??

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jyrka posted:

I love this by the guy who runs the O and A reddit, it really sums the place up:

Morter posted:

Why the hell do either of them even go on to reddit??

The same reason Ant continues to post on Reddit despite losing a job to it over a year ago: they're drama whores who need validation from people who don't really know who they are, much less care.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I think everyone on the O&A reddit knows who O&A are.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I think I like Good Natured Jim more than I like Edgar or even Chip.

https://twitter.com/JimNorton/status/688823816160677888

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Stokes posted:

I think I like Good Natured Jim more than I like Edgar or even Chip.

https://twitter.com/JimNorton/status/688823816160677888

loving lmfao

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I can't believe there's a character that would make me cringe more than "Going at it like a gerbil on a water bottle".

Bravo, yeemy

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Josh Goodnaturedly is the best Jimmy character

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh god I tried again

I can't take it.

i got into 17 seconds. It burns.

Any good O&A clips of Mr Goodnaturedly

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Josh Goodnaturedly is the best Jimmy character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEz6eKRY1kk

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I seem to recall Ron white knighting loving True Detective Season 2 of all things. He's a hilarious guy but I just kinda tune out whenever the show gets too heavy into anything related to TV, movies, or (especially) music.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Reminder that Ronnie B, for all his good taste, turned down the chance to be in The Wire and has never watched it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Reminder that Ronnie B, for all his good taste, turned down the chance to be in The Wire and has never watched it.

What's the story behind this?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
man, i must have listened to ronnie's identity guard bit like a million times and it's always as funny as the first time

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

"You're a waste" kills me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ozza posted:

What's the story behind this?

Not like a personal appearance, but supposedly they wanted to use Ron and Fez on a car radio during a scene and they turned them down. But still.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i never actually listened to r&f that much are there many other bits like this because i'm dying hahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5QcSrYuak

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ronnie B on TACS killing it atm

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

VikingSkull posted:

Ronnie B on TACS killing it atm

It's loving hilarious. Ant is so uncomfortable.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My trial on my new CRV's radio ran out, so I added it to my account, only to find that I'd fallen for the usual runaround and put it on a separate XM Select subscription At An Amazingly Low Introductory Rate instead of adding it on as a second All Access account. Though I'm not sure that All Access matters in this case unless I'm going to desperately need the NFL on that radio, since I don't care about Howard and apparently the 300 band of stations is strictly Onyx-based or online.

Did I gently caress up, and if so how do I unfuck it? If I call six months from now when the $29.99 deal is up, can I then cajole them into combining them into a multi-radio discount and at that point how horrific will the rate be?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

jyrka posted:

It's loving hilarious. Ant is so uncomfortable.
Gonna need some more details

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
DiscoDog's been posting quotes

Ant: There's the whole legal entanglement I'm in... I gotta say Ron-- you're like Nostradamus when it comes to my life's problems.
RB: Oh ya... it took a genius to figure out you'd gently caress this up.

Ant: You know, I went quite a few years without any run-ins with the law!
RB: Mhmm-- well, that's when Keith was still on the job.

RB: You've gotta find something new to focus on, Ant.
Ant: You're right--
RB: Maybe a new minority to hate?

Ant: Whatever happened to that Leo Dicaprio kid... he ever make anything of himself?
RB: Someone told me a bear hosed him this year.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the dog driving away alone line slayed me

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Lovechop posted:

i never actually listened to r&f that much are there many other bits like this because i'm dying hahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5QcSrYuak

Here's one a couple people have referenced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9L6MRL74Vo

After this, Ron was never again allowed to speak during a live read. There are other live reads where he blatantly makes fun of the products too.

edit: there's an entire playlist dedicated to "Fez torture".

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXLxzjFhY8cgC8vYZA6k7Gzv6wUHBHVI1

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 20, 2016

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Ant: I don;t know anything about Bowie, I just know that every girl i've ever dated--

Ron: Look just like him?

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

VikingSkull posted:

the dog driving away alone line slayed me

I'm glad you didn't give context, because when I got to this part I lost my mind laughing... such a quintessential Ronnie B thing to say

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Word is, Amy Schumer is the female Carlos Mencia.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JimNorton/status/689627797925556224

yuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

does he not understand that's like 50% of Twitter

the other half is yelling and cat pics

• Locked thread