Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mlmp08 posted:

Fine, sexual assault.

Instead of dragging this on for the rest of our natural lives how about you look up what "assault" means in this context and then find something else to do with yourself. Hint: What most people think of as "assault" is actually "battery" in a legal context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LGD posted:

He's a dude running for a political office with an agenda of economic and political reform based on what seem to be his personal convictions, not someone competing to have The Most Correct Opinions Ever. TNC has a point that it's much more politically acceptable to talk about radical economic reforms than it is something like reparations (which suggests an avenue of discussion for public discourse in the near future), but that doesn't change the fact that currently one of those things has broad public support and can potentially be turned into a winning issue and the other makes you a political leper. There are degrees of infeasibility, and something like "universal UHC" or "$15 minimum wage" is much, much lower on that scale than "Reparations" or "Full Communism Now!"

It's only counter to "everything his campaign is built on" if you view his campaign as a suicide run to push Hillary to the left during the Democratic primaries (for all the good that would do). If you view his campaign as actually focused on winning the election and trying to get as much of his agenda passed as possible then not letting his campaign get sidetracked by things that are only politically palatable to a small section of the populace or eschewing party orthodoxy on cultural issues that would close off avenues of support is not a betrayal of anything at all. This is pretty classic letting the perfect become the enemy of the good (and being done suspiciously often in support of an establishment "good" that doesn't look good at all when judged by the same standards).
There are certain groups of people who have attacked him for basically not being left enough.

I mean, I really, really don't agree with his stance on I/P at all, but that's just about the only thing that is a major problem for me. Considering Hillary is even worse on the issue, it's a wash there anyway.

You will never find the perfect political candidate. It's impossible. Even if Bernie doesn't win the primary (very high chance of that), he's still succeeding in pushing Hillary to the left on certain issues, and bringing other issues to the forefront that have not been discussed as much in either the Democratic Party or nationwide until now. It's a good start. No one is suggesting that anything will be fixed overnight.

While I agree with TNC in his views, he's being just a bit unrealistic here.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are certain groups of people who have attacked him for basically not being left enough.

I mean, I really, really don't agree with his stance on I/P at all, but that's just about the only thing that is a major problem for me. Considering Hillary is even worse on the issue, it's a wash there anyway.

You will never find the perfect political candidate. It's impossible. Even if Bernie doesn't win the primary (very high chance of that), he's still succeeding in pushing Hillary to the left on certain issues, and bringing other issues to the forefront that have not been discussed as much in either the Democratic Party or nationwide until now. It's a good start. No one is suggesting that anything will be fixed overnight.

While I agree with TNC in his views, he's being just a bit unrealistic here.

How is this not exactly what TNC is doing too? Why is it worthwhile for Bernie to do and not him?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Instead of dragging this on for the rest of our natural lives how about you look up what "assault" means in this context and then find something else to do with yourself. Hint: What most people think of as "assault" is actually "battery" in a legal context.

Voyeurism and recording is not sexual assault according to the federal government of the US. That's what I'm getting at.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mlmp08 posted:

Voyeurism and recording is not sexual assault according to the federal government of the US. That's what I'm getting at.

It is a class I felony that necessitates registering as a sex offender in nine states. Pedantry being a transparent attempt to obstruct progressive discussion is what I'm getting at.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like Bernie Sanders and I hope he doesn't win the nomination. Hillary is a much better symbolic victory, anyway. Electing a black man as president, twice, and immediately following it up with a woman? Priceless. No more old white guys. And Hillary is tougher than Sanders, anyway. I want to see her debate Trump.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

I don't like Bernie Sanders and I hope he doesn't win the nomination. Hillary is a much better symbolic victory, anyway. Electing a black man as president, twice, and immediately following it up with a woman? Priceless. No more old white guys. And Hillary is tougher than Sanders, anyway. I want to see her debate Trump.
What, being Jewish doesn't count for anything in the Identity Olympics?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Blue Star posted:

I understand if you don't like Bernie Sanders, but if you're anti-white guys then you're literally racist and sexist.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PerniciousKnid posted:

I understand if you don't like Bernie Sanders, but if you're anti-white guys then you're literally racist and sexist.

Oh Boy This Again.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It is a class I felony that necessitates registering as a sex offender in nine states. Pedantry being a transparent attempt to obstruct progressive discussion is what I'm getting at.

I literally do not understand how using the correct word is an attempt to obstruct progressive discussion, but you'll note that I never said it was not a big deal, sheesh. In my line of work it absolutely requires sex offender registration and mandates notification of the person's home state in case the state requires registration. It's a BFD, but it's not called "sexual assault" and I think it would be dumb as gently caress to say you're a sexual assault survivor if someone took a picture of you in your underwear when you had a reasonable expectation of privacy. It is "other sexual misconduct" according to US Code.

But yeah, this argument isn't very productive, so I'll drop it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mlmp08 posted:

I literally do not understand

I agree!

mlmp08 posted:

I think it would be dumb as gently caress to say you're a sexual assault survivor if someone took a picture of you in your underwear when you had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Nobody loving did this, dude :psyduck: You are freaking out about someone else taking exception to an analogy that used the word rapist. Absolutely no one, no one at all, literally zero people did the things you are mad about someone doing. It did not happen. This offense exists entirely in your head.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 20, 2016

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/steveking_/status/689618578853625857

Holy poo poo this primary

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hard to believe we got this and "squirmishes" on the same day.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Now with video!

https://twitter.com/sluggahjells/status/689617952598036480

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/689621554636984320

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There is a great debate on reparations going on in the Dem Primary thread right now. More people should contribute.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nobody loving did this, dude :psyduck: You are freaking out about someone else taking exception to an analogy that used the word rapist. Absolutely no one, no one at all, literally zero people did the things you are mad about someone doing. It did not happen. This offense exists entirely in your head.

Ok, you're right no one said voyeurism was sexual assault

mandatory lesbian posted:

while voyeurism may not literally be rape it is certainly sexual assault

waitaminute

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I know it still isn't likely, but I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if after losing to Obama after being considered the destined nominee in '08, Hillary looses to Bernie this year after being considered the destined nominee.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Take your fishmeching elsewhere

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to sign my own show soon.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mlmp08 posted:

waitaminute

Did you notice how you cut out the thing I quoted? That thing you said? The thing I was actually responding to? You are throwing a fit about increasingly insane scenarios that you are making up. Jack off to SJW boogeymen if you have to, but quit making everyone here watch.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

It finally happened. Our politics has become a middle school playground.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FairGame posted:

Exactly. The whole point of The Case for Reparations is to get people talking about "holy poo poo, awful stuff has been done to and still is done to black people, and only by doing a proper analysis will we fully understand the magnitude of the horrible poo poo that's been done."

Coates is bullshit. His "Case for Reparations" doesn't include any case for reparations. As far as it's willing to go is to sort of elliptically suggest talking breezily about reparations. And of course, Coates' definition of "reparations" is completely different what everyone else means by the word reparations(payments made to the descendents of African slaves brought to North America), for Coates it's instead "a national reckoning that would lead to spiritual renewal". So Coates is attacking Sanders for his position on reparations while Coates has strenuously avoided taking one himself.

There's a reason he's become a favorite of the Aspen Ideas Festival crowd of neoliberals, and it's wholly unsurprising he'd attack Sanders like this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Insect Court posted:

Coates is bullshit. His "Case for Reparations" doesn't include any case for reparations. As far as it's willing to go is to sort of elliptically suggest talking breezily about reparations. And of course, Coates' definition of "reparations" is completely different what everyone else means by the word reparations(payments made to the descendents of African slaves brought to North America), for Coates it's instead "a national reckoning that would lead to spiritual renewal". So Coates is attacking Sanders for his position on reparations while Coates has strenuously avoided taking one himself.

There's a reason he's become a favorite of the Aspen Ideas Festival crowd of neoliberals, and it's wholly unsurprising he'd attack Sanders like this.

I think the problem is no one asked sanders about Coates version of reparations. they only asked him about other version. I think sanders would have agreed with coates.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Insect Court posted:

And of course, Coates' definition of "reparations" is completely different what everyone else means by the word reparations(payments made to the descendents of African slaves brought to North America), for Coates it's instead "a national reckoning that would lead to spiritual renewal".

Granted, this is all a bit dated and possibly a bit incorrect since I haven't read the article since it came out but...

TNC is a little more explicit and suggests that reparations should be monetary in nature and specifically help African Americans to the exclusion of other races. But you are correct that his concept of reparations is far more nuanced in so far as he does endorse the idea of programs that help blacks (e.g. subsidized loan programs explicitly reserved for black homeowners and entrepreneurs) as much as he supports the idea of $20,000+ checks, if not more so.

For TNC the word "reparations" is not only a word intended to provoke debate but also the more general concept of "money that is more siphoned off from white communities to explicitly subsidize black ones with or without an explicit program organized to do so effectively", rather than the strict meaning of "here's a check" that opponents of reparations interpret it as.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

https://vine.co/v/ieKXnK7KE9J

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUqRSC4H70

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think the problem is no one asked sanders about Coates version of reparations. they only asked him about other version. I think sanders would have agreed with coates.

Coates tried to ask him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

He's right, you know.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

In one day we have Palin stumping for Trump in Iowa with speed-laced gibberish clipped from your crazy aunt's Facebook page, and establishment GOP advocates accusing their opponents of jerking off to anime on live cable tv.

We're about two weeks from the Iowa caucus and three from the NH primary. The craziest GOP candidates have a healthy lead over the rest of the pack.

I think the wheels have officially come off. David Brooks is going to need smelling salts and a puke bucket.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Coates tried to ask him.

It depends on how he approached him with it. If he sent him an email that said something along the lines of "Sen Sanders do you support reparations y/n" then I'm not sure anyone would want to answer that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

waitaminute

please don't drag me into this retarded slapfight, thanks

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

It depends on how he approached him with it. If he sent him an email that said something along the lines of "Sen Sanders do you support reparations y/n" then I'm not sure anyone would want to answer that.

Sounds like Coates to me, all right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The candidate who's only running to inject his pet causes into the dialogue can't really complain when someone tries it on him.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's say Congress decides to give every black person in the United States $30,000, which is a figure that I've seen some people on Coates's twitter page refer to (they link to a Vox article about money amounts). How exactly do you figure out who is black and who isn't? Lots of people have mixed ancestry, and I'm laughing at the idea of racist whites suddenly finding out they have a black ancestor and demanding cash.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

Let's say Congress decides to give every black person in the United States $30,000, which is a figure that I've seen some people on Coates's twitter page refer to (they link to a Vox article about money amounts). How exactly do you figure out who is black and who isn't? Lots of people have mixed ancestry, and I'm laughing at the idea of racist whites suddenly finding out they have a black ancestor and demanding cash.

Put everyone in a line and whoever is to the left of Rachel Dolezal gets the cash

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the biggest concern over cash reparations is that the same structures that have been built up over time to oppress black people will be used to take back anything we give.
There's a Native American Tribe, the Tohono O’odham, to the south of where I live. In 1960, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built a dam that ended up making 10,000 acres of the tribe's land unusable for farming. To compensate, they were given a fairly large cash settlement and the option to swap reservation land to somewhere better.

Of course, it wasn't that simple, when the tribe went to buy land, the people they did business with knew that they were flush with cash and inflated their asking prices.
As a result, the tribe has learned that in order to do business, they have to use holding companies to keep people honest.

This isn't a criticism of Black people, it's a criticism of White people, we're so lovely that if we wanted to be serious about reparations, we'd have to be careful to make sure that any plan is resilient enough to withstand our persistent shittiness.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rand alPaul posted:

Having the discussion about that is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Is Sarah Palin possessed by the ghost of Yosemite Sam? I can't stop laughing.

• Locked thread