Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

I'm liking this so far but I wish they'd pick up the pace.
nigga u got places to be??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't say that mate.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Mendicant posted:

nigga u got places to be??

Ahah, goddamn. For some reason this made me lol in the office.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like Amos but he's sort of coming across as a Marv caricature in the books.

Also everyone in the books is now middle-aged, I'm glad that the show went with a younger cast, or at least fitter (I cannot imagine a balding, fat Miller with a pork pie hat).

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Professor Shark posted:

I really like Amos but he's sort of coming across as a Marv caricature in the books.

Also everyone in the books is now middle-aged, I'm glad that the show went with a younger cast, or at least fitter (I cannot imagine a balding, fat Miller with a pork pie hat).

When I saw Jonathan Banks was cast I was really hoping he'd be Miller.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I haven't read any fiction in ages, but I'm now on the second Expanse audiobook and I think I've shed tears like three or four times now? I don't remember books doing that to me. There are moments in the books that aren't even about a character dying or generic poo poo that just gets to you. I distinctly remember the point in book 1 when Holden kinda accepts Miller as part of his "crew" and Miller starts shedding tears. That was incredible timing/prosaic delivery because it got me too at the exact same moment.

Also, Amos is an incredible character that has some incredible moments. He does come off as a generic caricature in the show so far though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dessel posted:

I haven't read any fiction in ages, but I'm now on the second Expanse audiobook and I think I've shed tears like three or four times now? I don't remember books doing that to me. There are moments in the books that aren't even about a character dying or generic poo poo that just gets to you. I distinctly remember the point in book 1 when Holden kinda accepts Miller as part of his "crew" and Miller starts shedding tears. That was incredible timing/prosaic delivery because it got me too at the exact same moment.

Also, Amos is an incredible character that has some incredible moments. He does come off as a generic caricature in the show so far though.

They are getting bits and pieces in at least. The scene at the bar did a nice bit on explaining how hosed up Amos childhood was, how good he is at reading a room for danger, that he's not vicious or mean spirited.....but at any point in time he will gladly gently caress up a bunch of people at the drop of a hat.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kesper North posted:

Okay, a little hyperbole. You're right in that it doesn't boil, per se - but gas bubbles do form in the bloodstream, leading rapidly to unconsciousness within fifteen seconds, as the bubbles cut off blood flow to the brain as they form. (Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/)

Incidentally, to get into a modern spacesuit requires the astronaut perform hours of decompression and recompression to avoid the bends, because they have use low air pressures to allow the suits to be flexible enough for work, a requirement that never shows up in science fiction because it would ruin virtually every plot that involves EVA. The Mark III prototype being tested by NASA supposedly doesn't require oxygen prebreathing, so hopefully this issue can be solved using current technology.

The hours of decompression are necessary because current spacecraft are designed around having normal air at sea-level pressure. You can get around that if the spacecraft's air is the same pressure and composition as the spacesuit, e.g. Apollo spacecraft. There are trade-offs going either way. Given the narrative of impoverished people struggling to eke out a marginal living, I'd be inclined to suspect that a lot of Belters would do like Apollo and just have O2-rich low-pressure environments, since not bothering to include nitrogen is less mass to deal with and saves you time on not having to decompress before EVA. It also means that fires could be more serious (although not Apollo 1 serious since you wouldn't be pressurizing to sea-level), but that seems like it'd play right into the narrative of Belter life being cheap and disposable :v:

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The hours of decompression are necessary because current spacecraft are designed around having normal air at sea-level pressure. You can get around that if the spacecraft's air is the same pressure and composition as the spacesuit, e.g. Apollo spacecraft. There are trade-offs going either way. Given the narrative of impoverished people struggling to eke out a marginal living, I'd be inclined to suspect that a lot of Belters would do like Apollo and just have O2-rich low-pressure environments, since not bothering to include nitrogen is less mass to deal with and saves you time on not having to decompress before EVA. It also means that fires could be more serious (although not Apollo 1 serious since you wouldn't be pressurizing to sea-level), but that seems like it'd play right into the narrative of Belter life being cheap and disposable :v:
Not disagreeing with your science but in book 5 and the Anderson Station flashback on the show they mention the belters being oxygen poor to save money.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Starving your workers of oxygen seems like it should/would ruin productivity. Performance goes down pretty rapidly with anoxia.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hence him removing the exposed wire promptly.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kesper North posted:

Starving your workers of oxygen seems like it should/would ruin productivity. Performance goes down pretty rapidly with anoxia.

The levels seem to only effect the children whom are not essential to the bottom line apparently .

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I mean it isn't that much different than folks these days who live/work in areas with poor air quality. In the Belt, though, you pay for the privilege of breathing since the air doesn't just exist.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Shipping around mass is expensive, the belt stations aren't built with the best possible recycling as far as we can see, it's still probably some short sighted bullshit. But I mean when has an imperial power cared about the people over there that get the poo poo end of the stick?

I think kids should need proportionally less oxygen than adults? I'm probably way wrong on that though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't kid yourself: if employers today had a way to bill workers for air consumed at work then they would absolutely do so.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Waverider posted:

Not disagreeing with your science but in book 5 and the Anderson Station flashback on the show they mention the belters being oxygen poor to save money.

I don't think you need pure oxygen for low-pressure applications - a quick google search suggests Skylab was something like 75% oxygen and 25% nitrogen at ~4.8psi. So conceivably you could monkey with the mixture to try and find the minimum amount of oxygen needed. Of course, you run into the other problem that the nitrogen itself has to come from somewhere. I don't know what the lower bound is for atmospheric pressure even with pure oxygen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to definitively say that The Expanse is wrong - there might be something else I'm missing or unaware of - just that there is a way to have a setting where characters can go straight from the spacecraft cabin to a spacesuited EVA without an intermediary decompression session.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 18, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I think the point was that the companies are driving for profit at the expense of the workers and their families, regardless of the physics or biology involved.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BexGu posted:

They are getting bits and pieces in at least. The scene at the bar did a nice bit on explaining how hosed up Amos childhood was, how good he is at reading a room for danger, that he's not vicious or mean spirited.....but at any point in time he will gladly gently caress up a bunch of people at the drop of a hat.

Wes Chatham also delivers his lines with this occasional sense of 'lost puppy'. Like the bit where he offers to smoke Holden, thanks Noemi for 'all those times you helped me' or in the bar with Alex. It really helps capture the fact that he's not big and mean, he's just kind of stunted emotionally.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Wes Chatham also delivers his lines with this occasional sense of 'lost puppy'. Like the bit where he offers to smoke Holden, thanks Noemi for 'all those times you helped me' or in the bar with Alex. It really helps capture the fact that he's not big and mean, he's just kind of stunted emotionally.

From the books I read Amos as being completely without morals or any moral judgement, he recognises this and attaches himself to someone to use as a surrogate moral compass. Growing up it was a variety of criminals and an unusual relationship with his mothers friend,on the Canterbury it was Naomi and going forward it is Holden. He just sees violence as another tool and is just as willing and able to use it as someone else might draw breath.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I don't think you need pure oxygen for low-pressure applications - a quick google search suggests Skylab was something like 75% oxygen and 25% nitrogen at ~4.8psi. So conceivably you could monkey with the mixture to try and find the minimum amount of oxygen needed. Of course, you run into the other problem that the nitrogen itself has to come from somewhere. I don't know what the lower bound is for atmospheric pressure even with pure oxygen.

To sustain life, the minimum partial pressure of O2 you need is about 2.32 psi. Earth's atmosphere gives you a bit over 3 psi O2. Those figures for skylab give you a ppO2 of 3.6. If you're going to do strenuous physical activity, that'll go up a bit.

quote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to definitively say that The Expanse is wrong - there might be something else I'm missing or unaware of - just that there is a way to have a setting where characters can go straight from the spacecraft cabin to a spacesuited EVA without an intermediary decompression session.

It's a setting where they have genetic treatments to let people who are born and live in space for their entire lives have a skeleton that won't collapse under the strain of just moving around, and injected drugs that let people remain conscious and survive at pretty extreme G-loadings. So I'm on board with that. Or they're just breathing pure O2 at a low pressure, which would remove the problem of dissolved nitrogen in the bloodstream.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

HERAK posted:

From the books I read Amos as being completely without morals or any moral judgement, he recognises this and attaches himself to someone to use as a surrogate moral compass. Growing up it was a variety of criminals and an unusual relationship with his mothers friend,on the Canterbury it was Naomi and going forward it is Holden. He just sees violence as another tool and is just as willing and able to use it as someone else might draw breath.

As someone who hasn't read the books, this was my impression as well. The actor they got to play Amos has very expressive crazy-eyes.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

As someone who hasn't read the books, this was my impression as well. The actor they got to play Amos has very expressive crazy-eyes.

I keep thinking of him as little Jack Black in space.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chatham was in one of the Hunger Game films along with dream waifu Natalie Dormer

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

HERAK posted:

I thought he out and out said as much when he told Holden that he while he had no reason to throw Holden off the boat, he also had no reason why he shouldn't aside from Naomi disliking it. And then he asks for the drill.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Yeah but for that one quarter/cycle you cut down on your costs, get your huge bonus and then gently caress off to another company.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Kesper North posted:

It probably only applies to the living quarters, not the work areas. More incentive to go to work!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zartosht posted:

It probably only applies to the living quarters, not the work areas. More incentive to go to work!

Oh man. It starts with free onsite laundry and dental care, but just you wait until they get you into space :v:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Today's episode will feature Adam Jensen and I have it on good authority that his vision is augmented.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Daztek posted:

Today's episode will feature Adam Jensen and I have it on good authority that his vision is augmented.

Did he ask for this?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Daztek posted:

For real?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

etalian posted:

For real?

Yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQXBs4Do6mo

0:05 and 0:12

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope they replace the whole episode soundtrack with stuff from Deus Ex.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
They've posted promotional shots for the ninth episode (but not next week's, for some reason...). Huge spoilers thereabouts: http://images.spoilertv.com/The%20Expanse/Season%201/Promotional%20Episode%20Photos/Episode%201.09%20-%20Critical%20Mass/

(Show and book spoilers combined) I'm surprised they're going to be showing Julie's POV. Will that be a good addition, or will it take away from the big reveal? It's going to be interesting, either way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He reminds a lot of Vincent d'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Huh. A stowaway. How bout that?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Donkeyballs :colbert:

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
Lol how did they manage to make Holden more whiny and self-righteous than in the books.

get your animal back on the leash :qq:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just have to reiterate, watching this show with the Philips Hue sync is really really loving cool. It wouldn't work for all shows, but the different settings make it perfect.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
The crew tension felt like a bit of a step back from the end of the last episode, but I think I'm on board with it simply because it's new and unexpected, and (books) not something they've included in the books as of yet. Amos being reined in by either Naomi or Holden has always been a given in the books, and never really questioned in this way. As long as the tension isn't stretched on too long, I'm open-minded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I really liked this episode. All the characters felt like they were shining and it felt like we got a glimpse of Avasarala we know from the books when she was talking with Holden's mother.

• Locked thread