Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Your nose will be as fine as any part of your body either way. Its not a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LionYeti posted:

I'm considering trying some BJJ for fitness and because Jesus Christ weightlifting is boring as hell. Problem is I have a very fragile nose (for various complicated reasons I don't have much if any cartilage in my nose) Is this as bad of an idea as I think it is?

You'd probably be ok, but you can always wear a nose guard mask.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You won't get punched or anything but you will get some pressure across your nose. You could try something like this, though?

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-440501-Nose-Guard/dp/B000F5SXVI/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1453257724&sr=1-5&keywords=nose+guard

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah, you can avoid 'intentional' nose pressure but you're going to get elbowed and kneed in the face by accident often enough, so if it's the kind of thing where that will send you to the hospital you'll want to protect yourself.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Just bring some tampons and don't worry about it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I'm really loving bjj and Ive entirely given up on Judo now. I know its lame to just be like 'oh well, I suck at this, on to the next thing. cest la vie' but Judo just never really clicked with me even after trying for years to 'feel' it, but this no gi bjj is insanely fun and just feels more right.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think the initial learning curve is steeper in judo. You've gotta learn a complicated throw, you've gotta learn it in great detail, you've gotta drill it relentlessly, you've got to know the right style of offbalancing to apply it and then you've got to learn the "feel" of it to use it properly in randori.

In BJJ you learn a move, you do it badly for awhile, then you learn a tweak to do it better, then you do it acceptably for awhile, then you learn more detail and one day you're good at it. You can apply it successfully before it's fully polished. I've probably been training since 2010 and I feel like I only just worked out the rear naked choke last week.

(Your RNC advice has been helpful, thread. I wasn't rolling my shoulders properly.)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah I agree. Its very steep. I know enough to really throw down against an untrained person so I guess I've learnt some good self defense thats inbuilt into my muscle memory forever, but its definitely time for me to move on instead of being frustrated all the time.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Novum posted:

Bjj is p much for nerds, if you're a man you can do judo instead

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Novum posted:

Judo, the sport so manly they had to change their rules like 40 times to stop getting dominated by sambo guys :smug:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Judo, the sport so manly they had to change their rules like 40 times to stop getting dominated by sambo guys :smug:

and wrestlers

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

2DCAT posted:

and wrestlers

Ugh. I had a fairly lengthy argument with a regional level judge/ref + 4th dan after a tournament on this topic (the one where I got DQed for defensively grabbing a guy's leg when I had a knee down after a failed throw). His position was "yeah but you weren't in Judo in the years before we added these rules - it was all just leg grabs and nothing else." Because it was a friendly social occasion I bit my tongue to stop myself from saying "well why don't you loving learn to defend a single or a double instead of making retarded rules?"

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they should make them wrestle with jackets on and then the best jacket wrestler wins. no other rules

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Ugh. I had a fairly lengthy argument with a regional level judge/ref + 4th dan after a tournament on this topic (the one where I got DQed for defensively grabbing a guy's leg when I had a knee down after a failed throw). His position was "yeah but you weren't in Judo in the years before we added these rules - it was all just leg grabs and nothing else." Because it was a friendly social occasion I bit my tongue to stop myself from saying "well why don't you loving learn to defend a single or a double instead of making retarded rules?"

It's particularly funny because it's actually much easier to defend doubles and singles in gi than it is no-gi, but rather than actually adapt to changing strategy it's time to change the rules so Judo stays pretty!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

fatherdog posted:

It's particularly funny because it's actually much easier to defend doubles and singles in gi than it is no-gi, but rather than actually adapt to changing strategy it's time to change the rules so Judo stays pretty!

This. Judo was become so bizarre to the point where if you're doing it for bjj or submission grappling purposes then it's almost better to go to a place that doesn't specialize in sport Judo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

A lot of the (actually good) Judo old timers I know attribute the beginning of all this with the implementation of softer calls for ippon. When the calls were strict, players actively sought to land big throws which generally necessitates a more upright posture.

Soft ippon spoke when people roll the shoulder blades one at a time made less clean throws from direct leg attacks a better strategy and the players adjusted accordingly.

Im phone posting so I'm being a bit lazy, but check out some old school 80s and 90s judo highlights compared to some from the mid-aughts. Very different standards for scoring.

All of this stems from the IOC meddling. First they want more scoring in Judo, so the calls get softer. Then they want it to be prettier so leg grabs are removed.

Basically, gently caress the IOC.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Judo's in some trouble, but it's exactly the wrong fix to turn it into straight-up jacket wrestling. What we need is more real Judo, not less. Too bad there's so little left

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah because sambo is really lacking for cool-rear end stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_c3Py7lXqM

It's almost as if...once everyone learns how to defend shots the takedown game becomes more sophisticated :aaaaa:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A Wry Smile posted:

What we need is more real Judo, not less. Too bad there's so little left

Every time this debate comes up, nobody can agree on what's good judo and what's real judo.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Sometimes I resent that I didn't discover grappling when I was younger. A judo club have started sharing gym space with us and they have something like 20 black belts that are 15 or 16 years old, being groomed for the olympics. Little fuckers.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sometimes I resent that I didn't discover grappling when I was younger. A judo club have started sharing gym space with us and they have something like 20 black belts that are 15 or 16 years old, being groomed for the olympics. Little fuckers.

Me too man, I wish I could tell 20 year old me to stop drinking and just go try out some martial arts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Every time this debate comes up, nobody can agree on what's good judo and what's real judo.

And this is why I basically ignore sport judo. I can agree onlots of stuff that's judo, but it includes morote gari and kata guruma and the option to dig a leg when going for o uchi gari.

Foregive me if I've dropped this line before, but when people at BJJ or Judo ask me what the other "is," I've started responding "same art, different sport." And that's really how I think about it. BJJ is my ne waza class for Judo; Judo is my standup class for BJJ.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Judo and BJJ should be the same, but the Japanese forgot their newaza and Brazilians are too lazy to practice throws."
-Carlson Gracie

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Tristar Gym did a pretty interesting video on the judo/bjj split recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwfvDvBLlqk

edit: to be honest I had reservations about the source material but I still found it and interesting enough story

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 21, 2016

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
That video is based on a bunch of false claims from a widely discredited book, and frankly it makes me lose some respect for Firas

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I feel that sambo is manlier than judo, and perhaps other combat sports, but I have never encountered a sambo class

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Sambo teaches you the optimum way to fight a man without pants, the fight which is most important to win

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Sambo teaches you the optimum way to fight a man without pants, the fight which is most important to win

When confronted with the question" what if they don't wear a GI". My instructor used to say, "why are you fighting with someone whose wearing no clothes". My answer to which was people on Nude Beaches need to be more polite.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

KildarX posted:

When confronted with the question" what if they don't wear a GI". My instructor used to say, "why are you fighting with someone whose wearing no clothes". My answer to which was people on Nude Beaches need to be more polite.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DevotedMeanEthiopianwolf.webm

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

My sambo coach tells a story where his coach was asked that question and demonstrated by doing a hip throw with a handful of the question asker's back skin

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Novum posted:

Too soon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just overheard my roommate talking on the phone about volunteering for some charity fight event and that "mouthguards are discourage in the spirit of the event" :catstare:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Your roommate must have an impressive amount of Tapout shirts,

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Just overheard my roommate talking on the phone about volunteering for some charity fight event and that "mouthguards are discourage in the spirit of the event" :catstare:

The charity might be for toothless Veterans of America or something?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Where is this going to be?

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Do places usually charge a fee for a belt test and new belt? If so, what kinds of fees have you guys seen?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Darth Llama posted:

Do places usually charge a fee for a belt test and new belt? If so, what kinds of fees have you guys seen?

Yeah there's usually a fee for a belt test. Size of the fee kinda tells you how bullshit it is. 20bux for the space and to pay some outside guy come and see you know how to do the thing? OK... 300bux for a belt from your usual instructor? Bullshit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Darth Llama posted:

25$ to get a space and a belt. For BJJ I just paid the 15$ for my belt. I would be shocked to see anyhthing over 30$

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I wouldn't go to a school that made me pay for a promotion and/or belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've seen stuff where "grading" was like 50-75, but that was because it happened in concert with a seminar or something.

• Locked thread