Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Had a very fun fight last night against a bunch of ties.

He had a bomber, a punisher, and three TIEs of varying pilot skill (including mauler)

I was running Poe, The HWK pilot that lets an ally shoot first, a generic 5 PS a-wing pilot with Veteran instincts and a Z-95

Was able to take out two of the fighters but the heavy bombers were pretty resilient. I ended up flying directly into a proton bomb which wrecked Poe something awful. Got ion bombed (flew RIGHT into the middle of that one too) with the A-wing and he took the opportunity to have me drift into some cluster mines

The laser turret that you need a focus to use was pretty useful on the HWK and I was happy to put the onboard saboteur into use a few times but I definitely got outflown last night.

All in all it was a thrilling experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

bunnyofdoom posted:

The hilarity starts on page 7.

I didn't know about this, so was reading the suspension article, then clicked the list, and laughed when I only saw one name on it.

Holy cow. I'm reading this now. TWICE the guy posts in the alt. account as himself, and then posting after that this was actually from the accused. Is this guy that dumb? Once, I might have maybe believed that's what happens, (not likely though), but twice?! I was actually kind of somewhat sypathetic and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about at least being willing to return the trophies and stuff, but not anymore.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Foolster41 posted:

Holy cow. I'm reading this now. TWICE the guy posts in the alt. account as himself, and then posting after that this was actually from the accused. Is this guy that dumb? Once, I might have maybe believed that's what happens, (not likely though), but twice?! I was actually kind of somewhat sypathetic and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about at least being willing to return the trophies and stuff, but not anymore.

Word is he's suspended until 2020 and to be honest I'm a little surprised they're being that lenient on him, getting caught cheating at worlds seems like the sort of thing that's going to ensure no one wants to play against you even after your suspension ends.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IDG why you'd cheat. I assume the prize support is similar to wangs- was there anything on the line but bragging rights and swaggier versions of shelf-available game components?

If you're going to cheat don't compound the stupid by doing it on camera, IMO.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kai Tave posted:

Word is he's suspended until 2020 and to be honest I'm a little surprised they're being that lenient on him, getting caught cheating at worlds seems like the sort of thing that's going to ensure no one wants to play against you even after your suspension ends.
Think it was nationals, not worlds.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

Think it was nationals, not worlds.

Ah yeah, you're right, US Nationals looks like. Still, the dude's name is mud especially after the whole sockpuppeting thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there any distinct variations in how Epic play works vs normal 100 pt games?

My FLGS is having an epic day on the 30th and I really have no idea what I'm doing. The basis is casual 200pt team epic, bring a teammate or find one the day of.

I do have a Rebel Transport, but I'm not sure I really want to use it since it's just a support boat.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Floppychop posted:

My FLGS is having an epic day on the 30th and I really have no idea what I'm doing. The basis is casual 200pt team epic, bring a teammate or find one the day of.

I do have a Rebel Transport, but I'm not sure I really want to use it since it's just a support boat.

I asked this on the previous page, but I think Googling the rules could work out. Related note: "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie is going in my X-Wangs playlist tonight, I encourage all other non-fascist players to do the same

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Posting on page ST-321 :cryingshuttle:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spiggy posted:

Has anyone tried a Whisper and 4 F/O list? I'm grabbing another F/O tonight to round out a TIE ace build but may try the mini-swarm this weekend depending on the verdict.

I've done Whisper, OL, and 2x Omega Squadron pilots. Those 3 tried to joust Luke and Wedge, with predictable results. 2 of them bumped Luke and Wedge on their S-loops, then the rebel scum got to do K-turns and not have any return fire. Wedge with outmaneuver must be a beautiful thing whenever you line it up just right :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

guts and bolts posted:

:perfect:

Week 3 of the store league is happening tonight, and my last opponent was a no-show last week (and I would not be surprised if they did not show up again this week), so I might default to 4-0, which is the worst possible way to get there. The good news is that I may get to play my first Epic game tonight despite knowing literally nothing about how Epic differs from normal games. Or, if that falls through, I can always try flying my XXY list against more varied competition.

I can't believe Atomic is still using this shitass league format

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

I don't think there's any real difference besides higher point values and Epic ships being allowed. You can't have more than 12 of any given ship, and I guess the play area is bigger. That's it, really.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

When I break into epic I kind of want to do a "gentleman's agreement" of one epic ship per side, since it seems like equal points of swarmage beats the big ship? Which sort of defeats the purpose of the format if you don't want to field those big beautiful women ships?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

When I break into epic I kind of want to do a "gentleman's agreement" of one epic ship per side, since it seems like equal points of swarmage beats the big ship? Which sort of defeats the purpose of the format if you don't want to field those big beautiful women ships?

I think it's more "8-12 Gold Squadron Pilots with TLT will turn a huge ship to paste in the matter of a single round."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I want to actually fly my two Firesprays that I bought, what do you think is better?

quote:

WHY DID I BUY TWO FIRESPRAYS AGAIN?
:iiam:

100 points

PILOTS

Bounty Hunter (33)

Academy Pilot (12) x 2

Krassis Trelix (43)
Firespray-31 (36), Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/396036/why-did-i-buy-two-firesprays-again

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/396036

XWS: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/xws/396036

OR

quote:

THE BOYS ARE OUT IN TOWN
Still don't know why I bothered to buy two Firesprays

99 points

PILOTS

Mandalorian Mercenary (35) x 2

Trandoshan Slaver (29)

Two Firespray and Space Toaster sounds kind of hilarious.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Floppychop posted:

Ok, so, if it's team epic, first no more than 8 of any same type of ship. So, tie swarms are a little anemic. 2ndly you will have an epic ship point limit. It's usually min 2 max 5. Transport and Gozanti are 2 points, corvette and raider are 3. considering points costs, build your transport to be a tanky transport, spend rest of your teams 400 points on ships. Epic ships are often not worht the equivalent points in fighters. As well, try to go small ships instead of big, but that's just me.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I want to actually fly my two Firesprays that I bought, what do you think is better?

OR

Two Firespray and Space Toaster sounds kind of hilarious.

I like the Scum list with the toaster.

I also have two Firesprays and this week I'm running this with them:

Bounty Hunter + Seismic Charges (2x)

Captain Yorr + Enchanced Sensors + Vader + Anti-Pursuit Lasers
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/390905/big-no-names

Basically approach with Yorr popping Vader when I can, then get in and make a mess of their activation phase hoping to proc APL while my Bounty Hunters mop up.

Weirdneal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 19, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Put Electronic Baffles on Yorr as soon as the Mist Hunter is out, then stress him til his head explodes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

guts and bolts posted:

I asked this on the previous page, but I think Googling the rules could work out. Related note: "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie is going in my X-Wangs playlist tonight, I encourage all other non-fascist players to do the same

Here's a pretty good article, fellas

http://teamcovenant.com/edgeofdreams/2015/11/18/epicessentialspart1/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
High PS large ships with boost are maddening to play against.

Wife flew this list last night against me. I had a regen Poe, regen Wes, and PTL Jake.

Latts Razzi (33)
Ion Cannon (3)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Bossk (2)
Gunner (5)

Boba Fett (Scum) (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

[url=http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v3!s!133:22,-1,29,133,21,-1:-1:-1:;116:27,23,-1,122,-1,-1:-1:3:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

I focused down the toasted in the first 2 turns of shooting, and had my entire list (mostly) intact at that point. That big ship moving last was just a little too slippery for me to keep in arc, and I was outflown and even hit a few asteroids :smith:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, how about...

I Am A Terrible Person Who Loves Aces 100 pts

Omega Leader - 21 pts
Comm Relay - 3 pts
Juke - 2 pts

Soontir Fel - 27 pts
Royal Guard TIE - 0 pts
Push the Limit - 3 pts
Autothrusters - 2 pts
Stealth Device - 3 pts

Rexler Brath - 37 pts
TIE/D - 0 pts
Veteran Instincts - 1 pt
Tractor Beam - 1 pt

So Rexler gets to set up potshots for OL and Soontir, and all three ships are incredibly obnoxious!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, how about...

I Am A Terrible Person Who Loves Aces 100 pts

Omega Leader - 21 pts
Comm Relay - 3 pts
Juke - 2 pts

Soontir Fel - 27 pts
Royal Guard TIE - 0 pts
Push the Limit - 3 pts
Autothrusters - 2 pts
Stealth Device - 3 pts

Rexler Brath - 37 pts
TIE/D - 0 pts
Veteran Instincts - 1 pt
Tractor Beam - 1 pt

So Rexler gets to set up potshots for OL and Soontir, and all three ships are incredibly obnoxious!

Man, I love what O'Leader has done for Imperial list building. Having a sub-30 point threat allows you to do things like this. TIE Adv Protoype and Imperial Veterans (with Tomax) are going to give even more cheap, but dangerous, mini-ace options.

As for your list, I think that Rexler is the obvious target. He makes the other two ships WAY more dangerous than they already are. And they are dangerous.

You should probably expect him to die every game. Try to come out even or ahead on points traded for him.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Holy goddamn gently caress Wampa with Palpatine is brutal. I had my Vader die tonight with full shields. :vince:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wampa is the deadliest 14 points in the game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Holy goddamn gently caress Wampa with Palpatine is brutal. I had my Vader die tonight with full shields. :vince:

I didnt even think about that :stare:

So you just evade with it, dont even bother getting focus or good position, just dump a shot off from max range.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What does the transport actually DO? I figured it was a ship purely there to be an objective

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's very good, but in the end it's still a low PS TIE Fighter. It shouldn't be terribly problematic to arcdodge it, bump it, or just... you know, kill it before it can shoot. And if they have to use Palpatine to keep it alive, no guaranteed crit.

Youngster with Marksmanship, Scourge, and Wampa do go exceptionally well together though. There's a lot of synergy within TIE Swarms these days, a lot more than there used to be.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ShineDog posted:

What does the transport actually DO? I figured it was a ship purely there to be an objective

It's a support ship. It has no guns but it has special actions that let it buff friendly ships and hand out stress to enemy ships and a bunch of its upgrades basically let you turn it into an electronic warfare boat.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

ShineDog posted:

It can be a great damage sink while also acting as both a support ship for your fighters, and as action denial against enemy ships. Plus, you can run people over.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I keep thinking about getting an epic ship, then I realise I have spent several hundred pounds on this game, repainted a bunch of ships, and played once.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Weirdneal posted:

It can be a great damage sink while also acting as both a support ship for your fighters, and as action denial against enemy ships. Plus, you can run people over.

The transport is generally the most competitive epic ship but it still sucks. 12 TLTs just melts everything in epic play, unfortunately.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

I keep thinking about getting an epic ship, then I realise I have spent several hundred pounds on this game, repainted a bunch of ships, and played once.

:getin:

Anyway yeah the transport is legit useful given its only 30 points to run one. You can load it up to be a buffer/electronic warfare ship and do damage (one of the upgrades can let you do damage to strssed ships and you can hand out stress) and on top of that, if you land of top of enemy ships. They die.

Panzeh posted:

The transport is generally the most competitive epic ship but it still sucks. 12 TLTs just melts everything in epic play, unfortunately.

On the other hand they have to be restricted to epic games because every normal list would be 3x transports. Plus i feel epic games aren't the most competitive things to begin with and are legitimately an opinion just to run weird scenic fights and scenarios.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I have never played a game of X-Wang yet, but I've studied all of the popular lists and watched at least 100 hours of game tape by now. This game looks amazing. My $200 order is on its way from RollForCrit, should be here on Friday. :dance:

I really hope there is a newbie-friendly place to play in Houston-Katy Tx. :ohdear:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How much more viable would Epic ships be if they all soaked the first point of damage from an attack.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

How much more viable would Epic ships be if they all soaked the first point of damage from an attack.

Unknown off the top of my head. This seems like something that needs to be derived experimentally rather than hypothetically.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

General Battuta posted:

So they all got a free reinforce action ?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't thought about this at all, nor ever even played with an epic ship, but it's the first place I go to when I hear they're being sandblasted by TLTs.

e: not quite the same as a Reinforce, since a Reinforce isn't great against TLTs. You only beat the TLT damage if you evade every hit the TLT produces.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 20, 2016

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Hey dudes,

You guys really helped me out with some advice on my Imperial list of Whisper, Fel and Omega Leader, especially Spiggy who sent me a PM about tactics - you're great dude.

I need a little more help. My brother wants to jump back in with me now that I've updated my collection and help me practice and maybe even play in the Kit tournaments coming up.

He's set on using Poe, and wants to bring back his favorite from the old days when we played, Wedge. I came up with this idea for him, but I'm unsure if it's viable at all, since I haven't seen anyone mix Poe and Wedge together before. Again, feels like babby's first Rebel list with how much the game has changed.

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!175:18,-1,148,-1:-1:15:;0:18,-1,2:-1:3:;86:27,72:-1:15:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

What do you guys think? Is there too many points on Wedge in upgrades? I went with the regular R2 unit so Wedge has more options to clear stress from Push the Limit, but honestly, I'm just slapping things on that sounds cool.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
No problem. I should warn you that my LGS's weekly tournaments are the definition of "fly casual" so the pointers may not hold up well against the more popular builds out there.

I think I've settled on a four F/O list for this weekend:

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Stealth Device (3)

"Epsilon Ace" (17)
Comm Relay (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Overall I like the list but I'm not 100% committed to Epsilon Ace. I like the idea of a 12 PS pilot but he's lacking in firepower for the points. My other options are Omega Squadron Pilot with Juke/Comm Relay for a 2 point initiative bid or Epsilon Leader with Comm Relay to run alongside Omega Ace to undo PTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Still thinking about Whisper lists. I only have TIEs to go with her, so if I don't want to run miniswarm then how about this:

+40% BONUS ARMOR PENETRATION

97 points

PILOTS

“Whisper” (41)
TIE Phantom (32), Tactician (2), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (15) x 2
TIE Fighter (14), Crack Shot (1)

Basically, do ya'll think the Black Squadron Crack Shots can do enough work to make up for lacking a third real pilot?

• Locked thread