Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CommonShore posted:

My nomination would be a bull moose in October. That's a bit regional though.
Cape buffalo?

I kinda want a Henry H010 for wild hog hunting. Used to regularly do a lot of `big varmint' hunting---wild hog, coyotes, peccaries (which are pussycats compared to hogs), and so on---but haven't done that in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

The Midniter posted:

...what's the other one?

Wild cats. I would rather run into a mama bear than the other two.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm in Binghamton, NY until Friday for work. Any destination dining while I'm here in what initially appears to be a post-industrial wasteland shithole?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Tots posted:

I live in Maryland in the DC metro area. There are definitely some farms around that I can hit up, but I'm also looking for any big name/order online brands that are known to not be complete pieces of poo poo.

http://www.pastureraisedeggs.com/index_files/Page497.htm

These are good people to deal with. She delivers to NoVa and also sells chicken, beef, and pork from other local farms, some are in MD. I'd ask her.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

Bushmaster.

He's actually a pretty cool dude and does a lot of fun stuff with his kids.

And yeah, in Central Louisiana pigs are a big big problem with the rice crops. They are smart enough that you have to very actively and aggressively hunt them to keep the numbers down.

That was the dude! Awesome, you know him? Tell him he is appreciated, and I hope he's stickin' pigs in peace. I also remember him posting a video of this giant beaver someone shot, which they then dressed in a funny hat and gave a cigarette, then they blew it up. I don't remember if that was him, someone he knew, or just something he found funny, but it makes for a funny story when we're talking about how to dispose of harmful pests on the farm.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

I'm in Binghamton, NY until Friday for work. Any destination dining while I'm here in what initially appears to be a post-industrial wasteland shithole?

Leave quickly. I have friends who were tricked into going to SUNY Bing over any slightly more enjoyable post-industrial hellscape, such as Albany. And lo, their bitching was heard for YEARS.

edit: excuse my double post, I thought this was a different thread for some reason.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 14, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Didn't Bushmaster basically invent drones years before they were a thing? He had a setup with a night cam for recon but I don't remember if he successfully armed them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Tots posted:

I live in Maryland in the DC metro area. There are definitely some farms around that I can hit up, but I'm also looking for any big name/order online brands that are known to not be complete pieces of poo poo.

Harvey's butcher in Union Market at 6th and FL NE. That's the main place I buy meat and poultry now.

Also, Mom's Organic Market, the one on New York Avenue in Ivy City is my new go-to supermarket, mainly for the excellent fresh produce. But the chickens will be happy chickens.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I kickstarted a bottle of vegan fish sauce. Mystery goo in a bottle from the Internet. On a scale of 1 to Chipotle how poisoned am I gonna be?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

sweat poteto posted:

I kickstarted a bottle of vegan fish sauce. Mystery goo in a bottle from the Internet. On a scale of 1 to Chipotle how poisoned am I gonna be?

As poisoned as a Heaven-overpopulating womb

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What would it be other than faux fish flavor, msg, food coloring, water?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I want to make Vietnamese recipes veg/vegan, I just use soy sauce instead. Close enough, frankly.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
There's an ingredient list somewhere.. it's tamari (soy sauce), pineapple juice, a few different seaweeds mainly.

They're local to me so I can skip the postage, making it decent value.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, OK, using seaweed extract would make it taste "of the sea", and could make for a decent substitute.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seaweed is a good umami booster so it makes sense.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Marta Velasquez posted:

As poisoned as a Heaven-overpopulating womb

I really laughed at this, and now I feel like a bad person, albeit a chuckling one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This one popped up on my feed. People getting irritated while literally having no point is my sustenance

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

sweat poteto posted:

There's an ingredient list somewhere.. it's tamari (soy sauce), pineapple juice, a few different seaweeds mainly.

They're local to me so I can skip the postage, making it decent value.

So they've rediscovered the original MSG recipe. Cool.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Didn't Bushmaster basically invent drones years before they were a thing? He had a setup with a night cam for recon but I don't remember if he successfully armed them.

Lol no. I'm not sure if it was Bushmaster himself or someone else who rained on that thread's parade and pointed out just how spectacularly illegal it would be to attach firearms to a drone and modify them so that they could be triggered remotely.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I want to make Vietnamese recipes veg/vegan, I just use soy sauce instead. Close enough, frankly.

So loving wrong I can't even. Soy sauce tastes nothing like fish sauce other than being salty and savory. Sorry but it is not close at all, but I understand there is not much else option.

I saw this the other day and it holds some promise. I doubt it is completely right as a replacement but would definitely work better than straight up soy sauce: http://food52.com/blog/15368-a-fish-sauce-with-all-of-the-flavor-none-of-the-fish

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mich posted:

there is not much else option.

Pretty much this. No offense, I never said it was authentic.

And besides, Mrs. Squashy doesn't know what fish or fish sauce tastes like, so she'll never know the difference.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anne Whateley posted:

He hooked up IR detectors / cameras to RC aircraft before drones were a thing, even got a NY times article written about it but yeah he mentioned that putting weapons on such a thing is a very swift path to jail.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A food purity argument for the new millennium:

Is it okay for vegetarians to eat jellyfish?

I ate jellyfish once, at a 13-course Chinese wedding banquet. The oddest part was the texture: it wasn't like meat, wasn't like vegetable... it was just plain weird. Tasty, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

A food purity argument for the new millennium:

Is it okay for vegetarians to eat jellyfish?

I ate jellyfish once, at a 13-course Chinese wedding banquet. The oddest part was the texture: it wasn't like meat, wasn't like vegetable... it was just plain weird. Tasty, though.

It reminds me of beef tendons, but with zing

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had jellyfish once and it was just wrong. It was sort of soft and slimy on the outside, but crunchy on the inside. With every bite, I could feel my body trying to reject it.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
My jelly fish experience was not offensive, but not something I am dying to repeat. It was strangely gelatinous and at the same time crunchy. No real reportable flavor...mostly neutral. Thinking about it more it reminded me of a few Japanese desserts with the cubes of neutral, highly set gelatin. Not terrible but not good either.

I'd eat it again if I thought the prep might be interesting.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 20, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jellyfish is fine, it's super Chinese though. Little to no flavor, odd and delicate texture, sounds weird when you hear about it, goes in soup or with a sauce. That's the same for shark fin, bird's nest, sea cucumber, all those prestige ingredients. From a western culinary perspective there are lots of things that are just straight up superior to jellyfish, like beef tendon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ya, u know... in flavortown.... we open carry. :smug: what of it?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also lol a friend of my bro-in-law in portland found a shitload of truffles at a farmers market for cheap and mailed him a bunch. gave me a couple of his "leftover truffles" ? ? ?

typical tuesday night dinner u know, nothin fancy :unsmith:

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Nice! BTW, I am in need of left over truffles. Anyone?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mindphlux posted:

also lol a friend of my bro-in-law in portland found a shitload of truffles at a farmers market for cheap and mailed him a bunch. gave me a couple of his "leftover truffles" ? ? ?

typical tuesday night dinner u know, nothin fancy :unsmith:

your decanter would make a sikk bong

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

your decanter would make a sikk bong

Nah, too much surface area where the smoke would come out of the water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Welp my kitchen taps are froze up and will not that until next week. Please post meal ideas that don't require more then one dish. My idea of "huge crockpot of stew we all eat directly out of" has been rejected.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bongwizzard posted:

Welp my kitchen taps are froze up and will not that until next week. Please post meal ideas that don't require more then one dish. My idea of "huge crockpot of stew we all eat directly out of" has been rejected.

The solution is, and always has been, a giant pot of jambalaya

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

bongwizzard posted:

Thick beer with a side of whiskey. If you have that for every meal, there's almost no prep time or clean up, and the week will fly by.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I guess pizza is an option, too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bongwizzard posted:

My idea of "huge crockpot of stew we all eat directly out of" has been rejected.

Make a huge crockpot of stew that you all eat directly out of, and if anyone doesn't like it they can not eat

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AnonSpore posted:

Make a huge trough of stew that you all eat directly out of, and if anyone doesn't like it they can not eat

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my side weekend project next month is to remix fetty wap's "trap queen" into trough queen

tru story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I need more of that in my life phlux.