Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Dr.Radical posted:

It's a discipline thing. The English commentators on NHK always talk about how he's lazy and it's such a shame because he could be so good. I guess he's just coasting on his size and strength.

It has been working for gagamaru for how long now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gibbo posted:

It has been working for gagamaru for how long now?

To be fair, Gagamaru now seems much improved over the guy who got demoted to juryo last year.

IIRC, somebody mentioned he changed stables or trainers, which could explain his improvement.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
In all fairness, Gagamaru could lose some wait too - at the moment, his nemesis is lateral movement, though he seems to be coping better with it this basho.

Don't see him dropping weight - unless he gets too fat to open his fridge and get some natto...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eTKqoFX918

Not too suprised Endo ended up pulling out.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 16, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

In all fairness, Gagamaru could lose some wait too - at the moment, his nemesis is lateral movement, though he seems to be coping better with it this basho.

Don't see him dropping weight - unless he gets too fat to open his fridge and get some natto...

As someone who has eaten natto, I think that a natto diet would be an excellent way to lose weight. Open the fridge, say "gently caress that", and go drink some water instead.

I meant to share this absolute gem of a video last week. It's essentially a song written to get kids interested in sumo, and this year they got a lot of the sekitori to participate in a video. It's so goddamn :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYkuwkHecs

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
For Day 8:
We get the first Ozeki battle, Kisenosato v Kotoshogiku. Should be interesting since Kisenosato was dominating him in practice but the records have turned out the opposite so far.
Also Aminishiki looks like he'll be back.

For demotions to Juryo, with Endo and Jokoryu out and Homarefuji and Kagayaki looking completely unable to save themselves AND Juryo being a total mishmash again Osunaarashi might get lucky and stay up.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

As someone who has eaten natto, I think that a natto diet would be an excellent way to lose weight. Open the fridge, say "gently caress that", and go drink some water instead.

I meant to share this absolute gem of a video last week. It's essentially a song written to get kids interested in sumo, and this year they got a lot of the sekitori to participate in a video. It's so goddamn :3:

Holy poo poo Kakuryu can sing what

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Uncle Jam posted:

Holy poo poo Kakuryu can sing what

Why am I not surprised Gagamaru has no rhythm?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

haha ikioi

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

Natto is delicious and I wish I could get some locally for a reasonable price. The amount you would have to eat to get fat would be insane though

It's hilarious watching mist people try it though. (I'm white, not Asian.)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Natto is delicious and I wish I could get some locally for a reasonable price. The amount you would have to eat to get fat would be insane though

It's hilarious watching mist people try it though. (I'm white, not Asian.)

I liked Vegemite, and natto tasted like a bowl of "I just threw up in my mouth a little". My friend in Japan even video'd me choking it down.

a false posted:

haha ikioi

I've read in a couple places that Ikioi is the king of karaoke amongst the sekitori, and I believe it now. His adlib was hilarious, as was Kisenosato's "I really don't give a gently caress".

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I can't find it but there was a video of Gagamaru on some Japanese panel show - he LOVES natto apparently. Unfortunately he also LOVES Korean BBQ and ramen!

Ikioi sung the jinku songs before he was sekitori but apparently he really likes enka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZ7sX1OKVM

They must have done the Hakkeyoi video while Harumafuji was in hospital because he's got a pretty good voice too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmtR-Q8xkg

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't really understand the white person natto hate. I feel like if you like something like blue cheese, it's really not that far off in taste. Good for breakfast too!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dr.Radical posted:

I don't really understand the white person natto hate. I feel like if you like something like blue cheese, it's really not that far off in taste. Good for breakfast too!

it's much, much more fragrant than blue cheese, especially when you heat it up. also, that texture

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

a false posted:

it's much, much more fragrant than blue cheese, especially when you heat it up. also, that texture

The texture is fine, but if it's a problem, mix it with rice, and if you have to cut the pungency, a very small amount of a nice mustard.

I wish I still lived in Vancouver so I could buy it for a sane price. The only place I've been able to find it here is like six bucks for four tiny servings.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's always funny when Hakuho hurts someone after the bout.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne8Z2xwCLs8

Welp, Hakuho sure knows how to hold grudges.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 17, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hakuhowns

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

This. There is nothing more I like than a good 2oz of crumbled bleu cheese on my salad or burger, and bleu cheese dressing is usually way too mild for my taste. Even then, natto can still get hosed.

I wonder how much more of the WWF Hakuho the NSK is going to take before they do more than the typical finger-wagging that they've given him as of late. Yoshi took it like a champ, in any case.

Lol Aminishiki, nice move there.

e: you guys, Kotoshogiku has an actual chance here.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 17, 2016

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

you guys, Kotoshogiku has an actual chance here.

You just jinxed it hater

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kintamayama posted:

Regarding Hakuhou's extra shove in his match yesterday against Yoshikaze:

Isegahama head shinpan of the match: "The rikishi themselves don't know if their foot is out or not. Everyone who has ever done sumo knows that. No problem!!"

Hakuhou: "My opponent is very quick. I didn't want to lose because of that, so I made sure.. I think it was good sumo.."

It looked bad when I saw it but this makes sense. Iirc, the bloody nose was not because of the last push but happened during the match, that's why Hakuho had blood on his chest.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QZSkCJahQE

Jesus, everybody was jumpy today.

I'm shocked Yoshikaze and Shohozan are still walking after that bout.

Hakuho with the yokozuna-level troll job today.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 18, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Strangest day I've ever seen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Gagamaru is showing better coordination and greater strength this basho. But he beat Mitakeumi so I hate him now. Is Mitakeumi still out sick?

I assume it's the absences and injuries that's renewing everyone's first day jitters. And I'm seeing kimarite that I've only read about before.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvOYECEeGb0

poo poo's going down tomorrow, guys.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It seems as though Endo has finally scheduled his knee surgery and will probably reappear in Sandanme. He tore his ACL a year ago.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Kotoshougiku is an absolute monster right now, I can't wait for tomorrow :)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

Kotoshougiku is an absolute monster right now, I can't wait for tomorrow :)

Thank god Aminishiki has already gone against him. I think he would seriously have the gall to jump out of the way and let him plunge into the crowd.

Actually, if there's anytime Hakuho would take his troll-dom up to a new high, it would be tomorrow. I may throw something if that happens.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Chiyootori + the impatient gyoji in red is always hilarious for me for some reason.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Some stuff for Day 11;

Of course Kotoshogiku and Hakuho face off. The head to head record is 4-46, so what I'm saying, is there's a chance.
Mitakeumi comes back.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Chiyootori + the impatient gyoji in red is always hilarious for me for some reason.

Chiyootori and Kimura Konosuke (red gyoji) are both from Kokonoe-beya, too, which adds just a little bit more to the interaction.

Prediction: Hakuho avoids all physical contact with Kotoshigiku with a clever series of nekodamashi and inashi, until Kotoshigiku drops from sheer exhaustion.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Prediction: Hakuho avoids all physical contact with Kotoshigiku with a clever series of nekodamashi and inashi, until Kotoshigiku drops from sheer exhaustion.

And then for good measure throws him into the stands.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Hakuho steps forward and to the side as kotoshigiku trips and stumbles forward. Hakuho is dq'd for inadvertent tiger knee.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Day 11 spoiler from the future:

WOW. I really did not expect that Kotoshogiku might be the first Japanese rikishi to win a tournament in so many years. Hakuho was a big hurdle but I could still see him losing again before the tournament is over, maybe even twice. If it comes down to a playoff, I don't see him winning, but I also didn't see him winning today's match. Goddamn what a match!!! Couldn't help but post about it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Day 11 spoiler from the future:

WOW. I really did not expect that Kotoshogiku might be the first Japanese rikishi to win a tournament in so many years. Hakuho was a big hurdle but I could still see him losing again before the tournament is over, maybe even twice. If it comes down to a playoff, I don't see him winning, but I also didn't see him winning today's match. Goddamn what a match!!! Couldn't help but post about it.

Hakuho was the biggest barrier, but Harumafuji is still there. The numbers are in Kotoshigiku's favour but Harumafuji has been beating him more recently. I fear he may relax too much and gently caress up. At the worst, he'll probably end up in a play off. I've been avoiding Sumo Talk this basho, but I can just imagine the furore over this match!

In other news, Tochinoshin's face was glorious as he fronted up to Kotoyuki before the tachi-ai.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 11 finally dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1NwiWXMDEI

Holy poo poo, the buildup to that final match, and the crowd going absolutely insane at the result!

:black101: KOTOSHOUGIKU :black101:

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 20, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

YAAAAAS!!!!!!! I don't think I have ever wanted someone to win a match as badly as I wanted that one for Kotoshogiku. I stood up and cheered.

Harumafuji v Kotoshogiku tomorrow. Please Harumafuji, no funny business.

If it were Kisenosato in this position, I'd be a little worried about the fact that his last 3 days would be possibly the easiest of the whole basho, but I have a lot of faith in a relaxed and focused Giku to seal the deal.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
I had absolutely zero faith in a Kotoshogiku zensho-yusho, but the man's been wrestling out of his mind this tournament so what do I know...

Watching Ichinojo's bouts is getting increasingly depressing.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

SeedyV posted:

Watching Ichinojo's bouts is getting increasingly depressing.

Is he even trying anymore? Last few days it looks like he just gives up and walks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Okay, drat.

I'm really liking how this basho is shaping up. If Kotoshogiku loses to Harumafuji, that's going to setup a three-way tie for the lead with 3 days to go. Eep!

I mean, drat.