Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Human Tornada posted:

Should I watch the Lord of the Rings movies? It took me two tries to get through 30 minutes of the first one because I was insanely bored and had to turn it off. Is this a common complaint or are these movies just not for me?
Watch Hawk the Slayer (1980) instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Should I watch the Lord of the Rings movies? It took me two tries to get through 30 minutes of the first one because I was insanely bored and had to turn it off. Is this a common complaint or are these movies just not for me?

God help you if ever try to watch Lawrence of Arabia.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Human Tornada posted:

They're p boring tbh, esp if you're not into fantasy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Egbert Souse posted:

God help you if ever try to watch Lawrence of Arabia.

Lawrence of Arabia owns though (at least pre-intermission, it kind of drags after that).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

I think a single ~3 hour version has the potential to be better than 2 slow 2-hour movies.

I think both movies are well-paced though, and that the second film has a slightly different tone than the first, which is nicely delineated by them being separate films.

I feel like turning it into one long film would require accelerating the plot purely to make it all fit. It seems like it would be really hard preserve the pacing and flow of individual scenes if you were trying to cut that much runtime.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Human Tornada posted:

I watched them two years ago with knowing nothing apart from the things that crept into pop culture and the memes.
I found them all to be incredibly boring and I found virtually every character to be boring and bland. I can't remember anything off hand that I liked. I may watch them again in the future to give them another chance. Watch Willow instead.
EDIT; I think I'm minority though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Just watch the first one, it's the most tolerable.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

If you didn't like the first one, I can't imagine that you'd like the others at all. I like them but they're far from perfect - if it didn't do anything for you, don't try to force it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The first one gets much better as it goes. But really, if you're not interested in the Tolkien books or the copious amounts of handcrafted fantasy kit covering every surface, the trilogy is going to be a slog.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Human Tornada posted:

The first one is fully boring. First half of the 2nd one is boring, but the 2nd half is pretty good. Haven't seen the 3rd one yet.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

The first book is insanely boring in the first few hundred pages but once you get to Helm's Deep it gets good. And the movie is paced much faster.

I'd advise you to grab a cup of mead and wait for the good poo poo.

The Hobbit movies on the other hand, maybe get some heroin and look forward to bed sores trying to sit through them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MisterGBH posted:

I watched them two years ago with knowing nothing apart from the things that crept into pop culture and the memes.
I found them all to be incredibly boring and I found virtually every character to be boring and bland. I can't remember anything off hand that I liked. I may watch them again in the future to give them another chance. Watch Willow instead.
EDIT; I think I'm minority though.

What'sup Willow buddy!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Fake edit: there's also a rifftrax of LotR so if you like to watch 800 hours of faux medieval poo poo with Mike Nelson and definitely not a couple robots making dad jokes over Legolas doing sweet kickflips there's that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

syscall girl posted:

What'sup Willow buddy!

Joining the Willow crew.

For more fun fantasy that doesn't take forever, watch Dragonslayer. Vermithrax Pejorative is still the best dragon put to the the screen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Vermithrax Pejorative is still the best dragon put to the the screen.

True dat. Back in my day if you wanted some impressive visual effects on screen the characters had to march for weeks through all sorts of dangers to arrive at it and bloody well earn it and the effect was all the better for it, these days they just chuck it up on screen in the first scene of the movie.

Edit: :corsair:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm not gonna bother!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm not gonna bother!

Get the rifftrax, get drunk off your rear end and enjoy the origins of dungeons and dragons and basically all modern fantasy. There are a lot of badass scenes, Peter Jackson was doing his best dealing with the source material, which was really good for the time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dragonslayer is great. That dragon (and the shot of the princess in the cave) gave me nightmares as a kid.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

syscall girl posted:

Get the rifftrax, get drunk off your rear end and enjoy the origins of dungeons and dragons and basically all modern fantasy.

Don't sleep on Robert E Howard, creator of Conan. Tolkien + Howard = modern fantasy.

Also not does Dragonslayer have the best dragon with the best dragon name, it's also got the best rear end in a top hat wizard he's a jerk-rear end old coot who comes back from the dead to blow himself up to gently caress over the dragon!

Edit: Dragonslayer is right at the tail-end of 70s-inspired fantasy (check out the poster at Wikipedia, which owns) and really deserves more of an audience. It's really gritty and nasty and horrible and makes an excellent double-feature with Conan the Barbarian.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 19, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dragonslayer owns. Dragonheart is lame.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

Dragonslayer owns. Dragonheart is lame.

Agreed, except that I would add that that Dragonheart is stupid as well as lame.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

loving hell, Dragonslayer isn't on blu-ray? That's a travesty.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Reign of Fire is my dragon movie of choice.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: Dragonslayer is right at the tail-end of 70s-inspired fantasy (check out the poster at Wikipedia, which owns) and really deserves more of an audience. It's really gritty and nasty and horrible and makes an excellent double-feature with Conan the Barbarian.
Naaaaah. The whole serious-but-cheesy fantasy thing continued to be a `thing' well into the mid to late '80s, fueled both by the increasing popularity of Dungeons & Dragons and the seemingly endless market for special effects films following Star Wars (1977) and then The Empire Strikes Back (1980). After Dragonslayer (1981) you have The Beastmaster (1982), Krull (1983), The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984), and Ladyhawk (1985), and that's just cherry-picking one film from each year, and not counting the more `serious'/big budget fantasy films, like Excalibur (1981), Conan the Barbarian (1982) (and then Conan the Destroyer (1984)), and Legend (1985).

We tend to think of the '80s as the era of the one-liner hero action film, but there was a metric shitload of broadsword-and-labia fantasy in there too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best thing about Krull is how much of a blatant Star Wars ripoff it is, down to having a trash-compactor scene.

Ladyhawk is pretty great. I mean, I'm sure it's terrible, i haven't seen it in over 10 years...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Snak posted:

The best thing about Krull is how much of a blatant Star Wars ripoff it is, down to having a trash-compactor scene.

Ladyhawk is pretty great. I mean, I'm sure it's terrible, i haven't seen it in over 10 years...
The best blatant Star Wars ripoff is Fukasaku's Message from Space (1978), which is also the third best Star Wars film.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Willow is just a movie you should watch, whatever the occasion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SubG posted:

Naaaaah. The whole serious-but-cheesy fantasy thing continued to be a `thing' well into the mid to late '80s, fueled both by the increasing popularity of Dungeons & Dragons and the seemingly endless market for special effects films following Star Wars (1977) and then The Empire Strikes Back (1980).

Dragonslayer isn't very cheesy at all and it's really poor analysis to compare it to Beastmaster, which I would say is the first of real 80s fantasy films (Conan the Barbarian straddles the line nicely) featuring an oiled-up chosen one fighting an evil wizard. Reminder: Dragonslayer features Professional Beta Peter MacNicol getting clowned by almost everyone, including the dragon, who he doesn't even directly defeat. At the end he rides off wondering if the age of fantasy is over. It's much more of a downbeat than your typical 80s power fantasy.

Ladyhawke is pretty good but listen to this track from Dragonslayer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGypprUsbY) vs. Ladyhawke (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi87Y8o33uI especially at the one minute mark) and tell me it belongs in the 80s.

Dragonslayer is dirty and nasty and disempowering in ways that 80s fantasy films weren't.

Also Willow owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Willow isn't too hot but the dragon is excellent.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Dragonslayer isn't very cheesy at all and it's really poor analysis to compare it to Beastmaster, which I would say is the first of real 80s fantasy films (Conan the Barbarian straddles the line nicely) featuring an oiled-up chosen one fighting an evil wizard. Reminder: Dragonslayer features Professional Beta Peter MacNicol getting clowned by almost everyone, including the dragon, who he doesn't even directly defeat. At the end he rides off wondering if the age of fantasy is over. It's much more of a downbeat than your typical 80s power fantasy.

Ladyhawke is pretty good but listen to this track from Dragonslayer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGypprUsbY) vs. Ladyhawke (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi87Y8o33uI especially at the one minute mark) and tell me it belongs in the 80s.

Dragonslayer is dirty and nasty and disempowering in ways that 80s fantasy films weren't.

Also Willow owns.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think there's really a '70s/'80s distinction to be made here. Like what are all of the '70s high fantasy films that you're saying Dragonslayer is a late example of. Bakshi's animated Tolkein films and Wizards (1977)? Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)?

The '70s, if we really want to think of this in terms of decades, was a pretty slow period for fantasy, and it wasn't really until Star Wars and Dungeons & Dragons rekindled interest in the genre that we start seeing a lot of fantasy films. If you want a real transitional fossil here, it's probably Clash of the Titans (1981), connecting with the Harryhausen adventure fantasies of the '60s but having a zany robot sidekick.

Also, Dragonslayer is cheesy as hell. It's just earnest about it, like all Disney genre films, e.g. The Black Hole (1979).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conan is the most amazingly bizarre thing. It's not at all what you think it will be.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Conan is the most amazingly bizarre thing. It's not at all what you think it will be.
Milius is hit or miss as a director but he's solid as gently caress as a screenwriter.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Conan The Barbarian is every bit as serious as Lord of the Rings, but it's also a good movie.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I recently looked back at the relatively short list of movies that I went to see at the theater in 2015, and found it interesting that they're almost all special effects driven big budget pictures from major studios that are packed to the gills with CGI. While I enjoy these every now and then, my taste leans a lot more toward unique storytelling and originality, and I watch a lot of small budget independent stuff, foreign films, etc on Netflix, DVD/BluRay, and through downloads, etc. My dilemma is that I find it hard to justify paying $13 or whatever crazy price to see a movie on the big screen that's going to be mainly just closeups of people talking. Special effects 'blockbuster' type movies are the ones that really benefit from being on the big screen. I'm more interested in The Big Short, but I'm still going to see Star Wars instead because I don't feel that I'm missing much by seeing The Big Short, etc in six months at home, while Star Wars is obviously going to be a very different experience at the theater.

So essentially I'm voting with my dollars against my own interests and encouraging studios to focus even more heavily on special effects and big budget popcorn flicks, when I'd like to see the emphasis move in the exact opposite direction. If tickets weren't so expensive I'd go to a lot of smaller movies in my preferred genres but that's a whole other issue. I'm curious how other folks see this. When you head to the theater are you asking yourself, "Which of these movies would I enjoy the most and fits my taste?" or are you thinking like me and asking, "Which of these is going to gain the most from being on the big screen and which of the good movies will be essentially the same experience at home in six months?" I'd like to reward unique and good story telling and risk taking by studios and filmmakers, but high ticket prices and the nature of the theater experience always pushes me in the opposite direction.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Well, either way see The Big Short.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Definitely the latter, I'm in the same boat. It's also a case of "I know what I'm getting" so I know I'm in for a high floor on the enjoyment scale. Yeah, I love all the low budget thought provoking movies more, but there is also a chance I really won't like the film and have wasted my money as a result.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Some of it has to do with how much the average home theater has caught up with the actual movie theater experience. There's definitely something about being part of a captive audience, but I'm not sure how much that plays into the decision making of a typical household. Just over a decade ago, most people were still watching movies at home on a 20" CRT. Today, it's increasingly difficult to find even a budget TV smaller than 40" in stock. For an average consumer, it definitely seems like there are fewer and fewer reasons to watch a movie that's not pure audio-visual spectacle on the silver screen.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

I recently looked back at the relatively short list of movies that I went to see at the theater in 2015, and found it interesting that they're almost all special effects driven big budget pictures from major studios that are packed to the gills with CGI. While I enjoy these every now and then, my taste leans a lot more toward unique storytelling and originality, and I watch a lot of small budget independent stuff, foreign films, etc on Netflix, DVD/BluRay, and through downloads, etc. My dilemma is that I find it hard to justify paying $13 or whatever crazy price to see a movie on the big screen that's going to be mainly just closeups of people talking. Special effects 'blockbuster' type movies are the ones that really benefit from being on the big screen. I'm more interested in The Big Short, but I'm still going to see Star Wars instead because I don't feel that I'm missing much by seeing The Big Short, etc in six months at home, while Star Wars is obviously going to be a very different experience at the theater.

So essentially I'm voting with my dollars against my own interests and encouraging studios to focus even more heavily on special effects and big budget popcorn flicks, when I'd like to see the emphasis move in the exact opposite direction. If tickets weren't so expensive I'd go to a lot of smaller movies in my preferred genres but that's a whole other issue. I'm curious how other folks see this. When you head to the theater are you asking yourself, "Which of these movies would I enjoy the most and fits my taste?" or are you thinking like me and asking, "Which of these is going to gain the most from being on the big screen and which of the good movies will be essentially the same experience at home in six months?" I'd like to reward unique and good story telling and risk taking by studios and filmmakers, but high ticket prices and the nature of the theater experience always pushes me in the opposite direction.
The theater experience won't add anything to a bad or boring movie, but it will make a good one more impactful. See what you know you'll enjoy if your theater-going is limited.

If ticket prices are your main limiting factor, get MoviePass. It pays for itself in 2-3 films a month.

Slowhanded posted:

Some of it has to do with how much the average home theater has caught up with the actual movie theater experience. There's definitely something about being part of a captive audience, but I'm not sure how much that plays into the decision making of a typical household. Just over a decade ago, most people were still watching movies at home on a 20" CRT. Today, it's increasingly difficult to find even a budget TV smaller than 40" in stock. For an average consumer, it definitely seems like there are fewer and fewer reasons to watch a movie that's not pure audio-visual spectacle on the silver screen.
This is exactly backwards. Spectacle movies look and sound just as good at home with $1500 worth of equipment as they do in the theater, plus you can text your friends and get up and make a snack and grab a beer whenever you want. The theater experience, on the other hand, is an opportunity to focus your attention completely on a film with (ideally) no quotidian distractions. Films that reward that attention are what you should be seeing, especially if they're what you'd prefer to be watching anyway.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

If ticket prices are your main limiting factor, get MoviePass. It pays for itself in 2-3 films a month.

I'm surprised that I've somehow never heard of MoviePass before. It seems like a cool idea and I would definitely see a lot more movies. I could see repeatedly joining and cancelling every second month to give enough time for a complete refresh of the slate of movies that are showing and then seeing anything that looks interesting within the month that I'm a member, followed by taking a month off from theater going.

After checking into this a bit it seems to imply that you need a smartphone due to the fact you can only buy a ticket if you're physically near the theater. I'm smartphone-less at the moment although I do have an iPad and my theater has free wifi. So far I haven't been able to find a clear answer online as to whether you can buy a ticket via wifi, or if you have to be connected through the cellular network. Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This is exactly backwards. Spectacle movies look and sound just as good at home with $1500 worth of equipment as they do in the theater, plus you can text your friends and get up and make a snack and grab a beer whenever you want. The theater experience, on the other hand, is an opportunity to focus your attention completely on a film with (ideally) no quotidian distractions. Films that reward that attention are what you should be seeing, especially if they're what you'd prefer to be watching anyway.

Like I said, I'm not sure how many people that constitute that average moviegoing populace agree with you on that.