Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vargs posted:

Over all the playthroughs I've done of this game, I wonder how much negative affinity I've accumulated with that little girl who stands right in front of the Gran Soren inn's door.

She's the actual antagonist of Nameless Fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

So if you hire a high level pawn from your friend list does it gimp your exp?
It does give an xp penalty, yes. Not huge if it's only a few levels higher than you. I don't know if there's a cap on the penalty.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Holy gently caress you can pick Portcrystals back up!!

edit: springboard aaaaa

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 20, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
the pawn guild notice board was in the base game and is the only way to get quests like the one to kill a cyclops at the fort which gives you the silver idol.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Captain Novolin posted:

the pawn guild notice board was in the base game and is the only way to get quests like the one to kill a cyclops at the fort which gives you the silver idol.

That's the one up top. There's also a notice board down by the entrance to the Everfall, which is only for DLC quests. .... auugh so many notice boards and I have to check them all at every plot beeeeeat

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm a bad boss. Every time a pawn opens a chest in BBI and isn't eaten I am just a little disappointed.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
If you get a rock and 0 rift points that just means that the person who used your pawn is trade banned right? My pawn is bad but she is not that bad.

Soho Joe posted:

Holy gently caress you can pick Portcrystals back up!!

edit: springboard aaaaa

I had the opposite problem. I didn't know how portcrystals worked so I just picked up every single portcrystal I found.

To this day the only two ferrystone destinations I have are gran soren and the starting village

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just made my giant warrior pawn meek in every banter option. She's a complete coward now.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

superstepa posted:

If you get a rock and 0 rift points that just means that the person who used your pawn is trade banned right? My pawn is bad but she is not that bad.

I may have been one of those. I was recruiting a bunch of random people and release them in order to do an achievement, which others may be doing as well.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I swear some people just don't want me to play the game for days on end with all the friend requests I keep getting. Is there anyway to switch whether your pawn can be used by everyone and not just friends or am I stuck there for this playthrough?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I'm only just realising that the gear in my stash I found at the start of the game is stronger than I thought, and some of it is even sorta end-game gear? (the rings?). It's made the whole loot game a bit lacklustre, what level am I gonna start replacing some of this stuff? Really considering starting over and just using the crappy items I find (except maybe on my pawn so she gets hired).

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I'm in the post-game and still haven't found a good set of armour to replace my princess' dress. I'd just outfit your pawn and then sell all the dlc armour. iirc if you desperately want it back you can buy it from the black cat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One nice little thing I like that just dawned on me today is that the reason the dragon speaks latin (I think it's latin anyway) at the beginning of the game is because you can't understand him, because you're not the arisen yet. He only starts speaking understandable english after he takes your heart. Presumably that's the reason the rest of the dragon-family enemies you encounter speak english; they actually aren't, you can just understand them now that you've got the whole arisen thing going on.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Nearly 100% done with the game. Only achievement left is to do a speedrun, which I am doing now. Turns out Speedrun Mode uses your save, and acts like a NG+, so all your port crystals are still up. That should make this quick.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The game's combat is eluding me. Is there no way to block or dodge? What's the point of having a shield then?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Alabaster White posted:

The game's combat is eluding me. Is there no way to block or dodge? What's the point of having a shield then?

hold down alt if you're using a keyboard. it's the same button you hold down to use shield skills, and automatically blocks while held

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

hold down alt if you're using a keyboard. it's the same button you hold down to use shield skills, and automatically blocks while held

I tried that, but it doesn't actually block anything. Even pissy bandit attacks go right through and stagger me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hampig posted:

I'm only just realising that the gear in my stash I found at the start of the game is stronger than I thought, and some of it is even sorta end-game gear? (the rings?). It's made the whole loot game a bit lacklustre, what level am I gonna start replacing some of this stuff? Really considering starting over and just using the crappy items I find (except maybe on my pawn so she gets hired).

This is something I dislike with the DLC freebies. Most of the pawns are wearing the queen's outfit and the party hat.

Alabaster White posted:

Hold your secondary skill button to block. Striders, assassins and rangers get a dodge move by holding primary skill and pressing jump. You have to unlock the dodge roll though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you're low on stamina it will stagger you, because it uses stamina to block. also make sure you're actually facing them when blocking. i know this sounds stupid but shields absolutely work in the game and it's something happening on your end.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

One nice little thing I like that just dawned on me today is that the reason the dragon speaks latin (I think it's latin anyway) at the beginning of the game is because you can't understand him, because you're not the arisen yet. He only starts speaking understandable english after he takes your heart. Presumably that's the reason the rest of the dragon-family enemies you encounter speak english; they actually aren't, you can just understand them now that you've got the whole arisen thing going on.

none of the drakes speak english actually- it's just subtitled as such
except a very special one who has a good reason for doing so and is something interesting and spoiler-y:
it's suggested that the language the drakes speak are all different as the arisens that make them come from different timeframes of history/different lands- the one drake that actually speaks english directly states that he's surprised that he'd meet a fellow countryman, meaning that he's from the generally same time frame/history as you and duke edmund

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
This game got its hooks into me in a bad way. I spent the last couple of days plowing through the entire main game and now I'm trying to work my way through Bitterblack Isle. I'm level 63 now and as I get deeper in it's still kind of kicking my rear end, mostly because I'm having a real hard time damaging some of these random spawn bosses (as a Ranger at the moment, though I've been bouncing around between that, Magic Archer, and a little bit of Mage/Sorcerer since I spent the entire main game as Strider and Assassin). I haven't found a good way to deal with those elder ogres other than tricking them into falling off cliffs or playing a long game of "pick up the pawns every time they get their stupid asses killed in one hit" while I wait for the sorcerer to get their poo poo together and cast the 2-4 Maelstroms/Fulminations it takes to kill the thing; even if I climb on the thing's face and start gouging its eyes out with lightning-enchanted daggers its health bar doesn't seem to move at all. The ogres stand out because I'm running into a lot of them and they're a real nightmare, but even beyond those guys there are a lot of big enemies that just seem to be ridiculous damage sponges and I really can't tell if I'm massively unprepared (I've mostly got Everfall vendor gear, which I figure shouldn't be too far behind the curve, but I think I'm fairly deep in--I just hit the lich/dragon double-team--so maybe I'm out of my depth) or if these enemies all have specific things you need to do to damage them and I haven't figured it out.

What's people's advice for going about this end game stuff? I think I've done most of what there is to do post-game outside of BBI--at the very least I'm pretty sure I've killed all of the major Everfall bosses, barring the Ur-Dragon, and I'm sitting on 40+ wakestones by now--so if the Isle is proving too tough, should I go back to the mainland and level up some more? Is there more to see around the countryside or should I move into NG+ now?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

I'm in the post-game and still haven't found a good set of armour to replace my princess' dress. I'd just outfit your pawn and then sell all the dlc armour. iirc if you desperately want it back you can buy it from the black cat.

I dunno exactly how good that dress is, but it does take up every armor slot so any other single armor piece that replaces it is going to show up as a downgrade. It's possible that the dress is so powerful that it outweighs the benefit of a chestpiece, a shirt, a helm, gloves, boots, pants, and a cloak, but I'm that seems like it would be crazy. I've never bothered with it though so I can't say for certain.

Opposing Farce posted:

This game got its hooks into me in a bad way. I spent the last couple of days plowing through the entire main game and now I'm trying to work my way through Bitterblack Isle. I'm level 63 now and as I get deeper in it's still kind of kicking my rear end, mostly because I'm having a real hard time damaging some of these random spawn bosses (as a Ranger at the moment, though I've been bouncing around between that, Magic Archer, and a little bit of Mage/Sorcerer since I spent the entire main game as Strider and Assassin). I haven't found a good way to deal with those elder ogres other than tricking them into falling off cliffs or playing a long game of "pick up the pawns every time they get their stupid asses killed in one hit" while I wait for the sorcerer to get their poo poo together and cast the 2-4 Maelstroms/Fulminations it takes to kill the thing; even if I climb on the thing's face and start gouging its eyes out with lightning-enchanted daggers its health bar doesn't seem to move at all. The ogres stand out because I'm running into a lot of them and they're a real nightmare, but even beyond those guys there are a lot of big enemies that just seem to be ridiculous damage sponges and I really can't tell if I'm massively unprepared (I've mostly got Everfall vendor gear, which I figure shouldn't be too far behind the curve, but I think I'm fairly deep in--I just hit the lich/dragon double-team--so maybe I'm out of my depth) or if these enemies all have specific things you need to do to damage them and I haven't figured it out.

What's people's advice for going about this end game stuff? I think I've done most of what there is to do post-game outside of BBI--at the very least I'm pretty sure I've killed all of the major Everfall bosses, barring the Ur-Dragon, and I'm sitting on 40+ wakestones by now--so if the Isle is proving too tough, should I go back to the mainland and level up some more? Is there more to see around the countryside or should I move into NG+ now?

You do piddly damage against those ogres because their defense is higher than your strength. Using up to 4 periapts at once will boost your strength a poo poo ton, allowing you to overcome that defense threshold. The Ranger skill that lowers enemy defense might help too? I haven't messed around with it much. Some abilities will also effectively boost your strength and help you pierce defense, like a perfectly timed Deathly Arrow (fire it off as soon as the second charge bar fills).

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 20, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Three people hired my pawn overnight. I got 5k rift crystals and a rotten fish :( I need to make her more swag I guess.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Vargs posted:

I dunno exactly how good that dress is, but it does take up every armor slot so any other single armor piece that replaces it is going to show up as a downgrade. It's possible that the dress is so powerful that it outweighs the benefit of a chestpiece, a shirt, a helm, gloves, boots, pants, and a cloak, but I'm that seems like it would be crazy. I've never bothered with it though so I can't say for certain.

I've been occasionally throwing a full set of what I've found on or saved and bought the best gear I could and it still way outclasses even a full set of end-game armour. Now that it's dragonforged it's even stronger, it's kinda ridiculous.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just grabbed this (it's downloading on Steam as we speak). I heard DMC and Shadow of the Colossus and was on board.

In general, what starter class do you nerds prefer? I'm leaning towards the archer dude but I am torn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all the classes are fun. none of them are better than the others. play what you want, because the classes can be bought for cheap and then you can switch between them for free.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gonkish posted:

In general, what starter class do you nerds prefer? I'm leaning towards the archer dude but I am torn.

I love strider for cloud volley and ensnare. Cloud volley is an AOE attack where you launch a bunch of arrows into the air and onto the enemy. Ensnare is basically throwing rope towards an enemy and yanking them towards you, very nice for enemies that constantly move (wolves, harpies) and it usually make a pawn more apt to hold an enemy still for you. Honestly, ensnare is the only thing keeping me from going assassin.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I just grabbed this (it's downloading on Steam as we speak). I heard DMC and Shadow of the Colossus and was on board.

Archer Guy is more Shadow of the Colossus, Sword Dude is more DMC.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Is there anything big I need to be saving money for? Or can I happily buy upgrades in shops as I see them and go about enhancing them all?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

superstepa posted:

I had the opposite problem. I didn't know how portcrystals worked so I just picked up every single portcrystal I found.

To this day the only two ferrystone destinations I have are gran soren and the starting village

You can get trade banned? How?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hampig posted:

Is there anything big I need to be saving money for? Or can I happily buy upgrades in shops as I see them and go about enhancing them all?

There is a quest where you can get a gold idol, the idol gives you a 30% discount at stores but its also used to expand a merchant's inventory later on. You can make a forgery, the forgery will still give the discount while you give the real one away for the quest. The forgery costs about 185k

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure that if you get nothing it's because your pawn died and was returned to the rift without being dismissed.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Leal posted:

There is a quest where you can get a gold idol, the idol gives you a 30% discount but its also used to expand a merchant's inventory later on. You can make a forgery, the forgery will still give the discount while you give the real one away for the quest. The forgery costs about 185k

Similarly, you also really want to forge the Wyrmking's Ring and keep the real one if you or your pawn plan to ever cast any spells. It reduces spellcast times by 15% just for having the thing in your inventory. That costs a few hundred thousand too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God I love the character creator in this game.

Here's my goblin Arisen and his pawn,

seriously cutscenes are great when you're like four feet tall.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vargs posted:

Similarly, you also really want to forge the Wyrmking's Ring and keep the real one if you or your pawn plan to ever cast any spells. It reduces spellcast times by 15% just for having the thing in your inventory. That costs a few hundred thousand too.

This. If you plan to play a magic class or if your pawn is a magic class get that ring and turn in a forgery for the quest.

Speaking of I finally got enough crystals to fix up my heal/buff pawn's inclinations and I was wondering: Are those even used in post game/BBI? I imagine people running those things have curative items and kitted out weapons and wont need the utility a mage pawn gives?

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 20, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think the sound issues I'm having is because the game might be trying to do fancy surround sound stuff into my dinky headphones, but I can't be sure. Has anyone else noticed the game just being kind of quiet, generally?

Also a hydra ate me and it took like two minutes to die while all my pawns desperately attempted to hit the head, I think I might need another mage to assist the old bald woman I hired named Moneypussy.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Nuebot posted:

You can get trade banned? How?
Someone will have to correct me if Im wrong but I think it happens when you give too many gifts and/or edit your savefile (importing old saves counts as well). It's not permanent though, it only lasts a couple of days

Geight posted:

I think the sound issues I'm having is because the game might be trying to do fancy surround sound stuff into my dinky headphones, but I can't be sure. Has anyone else noticed the game just being kind of quiet, generally?

Also a hydra ate me and it took like two minutes to die while all my pawns desperately attempted to hit the head, I think I might need another mage to assist the old bald woman I hired named Moneypussy.

It's not just you, the game is really quiet for everyone

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Oh good, if it's happening to everyone there's hope it can be fixed!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How come pawns can't be any of the hybrid classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm only guessing here but i can only figure that some of the hybrid class skills might be tricky to get pawns to use well? either that or they just wanted to make classes that are unique for the player alone.