Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

Help me, Auspol: I'm moving to my own place with no housemates and a real lease for the first time like an adult and I've realised I have to hook up all my own utilities.

What's Australia's least-bad internet service provider?

I got a quote from Telstra for $75 a month for 100 gigs and the iinet website says I can have 1000 gigs for $70, what, that doesn't even begin to make sense, what's going on

iinet count both uploads and downloads towards your quota.

I am with iinet and even with them counting uploads, I have very rarely come close to hitting my limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Tokamak posted:

tpg for budget conscious nerds.

TPG will let you have unlimited gigs for $60.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dumb ideas to try to save Federal Liberals arse in South Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/20/christopher-pyne-backs-belgian-trying-to-save-holden-plant-in-south-australia

quote:

Christopher Pyne backs Belgian trying to save Holden plant in South Australia

A undated supplied photo released Friday, August 15, 2008 of the body shop at Holden WM Manufacturing plant in Elizabeth, South Australia. The Review of Australia’s Automative Industry report, compiled over six months, concludes Australia should continue to invest in the sector despite recent closures to manufacturing plants across the industry. (AAP Image/GM Corp.) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY
Christopher Pyne has written a “letter of support” for a Belgian automotive entrepreneur who is trying to buy GM Holden’s South Australia plant and confirmed the project would be eligible for the government’s car-making subsidy scheme.

The acquisition would mean the Adelaide suburb of Elizabeth continue producing Commodores, saving more than 1,000 jobs and the future of the Australian-made car.

The businessman, Guido Dumarey, of Punch International, says there was an immediate change in attitude towards the project after Malcolm Turnbull became prime minister, with the South Australian Pyne as his industry minister.
Pyne said on Wednesday the government would provide ongoing car-industry subsidies to save the Elizabeth plant, continuing the backtracking from the Abbott government’s initial determination to end industry payments, potentially providing a major “good news” announcement in South Australia in an election year but eating into already-booked budget savings.

The plant is scheduled to close late next year after the Abbott government’s end to “industry welfare” saw all three remaining car-makers announce they were quitting Australia.
The bid by Dumarey, of Punch International, would require unspecified continued government funding from the $800m Automotive Transformation Scheme, much of which has been booked in the budget as a saving even though the fund is legislated to run until 2021. Dumarey has indicated he would invest at least $150m in the project and would like to reach an agreement with GM by mid-year.
“The scheme is legislated to continue until 2021 and right now I am working with Punch Corporation, a guy called Guido Dumarey, who is talking to GM in Detroit about how he might be able to take over the operations in Elizabeth, and if that comes to fruition which would be terrific but it’s in the very early stages ... they would expect to create at least 30,000 units a year and if they do that they will be able to access the ATS. So the scheme is not closing ... if there is another car manufacturer accessing it it will continue,” he told local radio 5AA.

Holden Commodore VFII SS-V ute. Dumarey says the unibody ute design is unique and would be a central part of plans to revitalise the business.
Holden Commodore VFII SS-V ute. Dumarey says the unibody ute design is unique and would be a central part of plans to revitalise the business. Photograph: General Motors Holden
A spokesman for GM Holden said the deal would be “evaluated on its merits”. Dumarey has had talks with GM on the sidelines of the Detroit Motor Show, currently underway, armed with the letter of support from Pyne.
Punch International already has an automotive transmission plant in Strasbourg, France, which was also a former GM plant and had been slated for closure when Dumarey took it over. Its workforce has since increased.

He said the five years it took him to buy the Strasbourg plant from GM had taught him that it was absolutely essential to get government onside to successfully prosecute deals like this.
Dumarey has visited Australia several times, most recently in the days before Christmas, when he met Pyne, Labor industry spokesman senator Kim Carr and South Australian independent senator Nick Xenophon. He is due to visit again within weeks. Carr and Xenophon have been working for months behind the scenes to try to help the bid and save the manufacturing jobs.
Xenophon said Pyne had been “receptive and helpful” to the project and while the “shape and structure” of the deal needed to be examined, it was “in the national interest..and absolutely worth the cost of continued ATS subsidies”.
Carr said he believed GM was taking the bid seriously, but it would definitely require subsidies from the existing government scheme.
“It is my understanding GM is giving this matter careful consideration. The business case will have to stack up and there is no doubt the company will require access to the ATS, which is legislated to run to 2021,” he said.
“But this is a project of enormous potential for Australia and for the jobs of thousands of Australia. It reinforces my view that with the right government policies we can attract new investment to Australian car manufacturing.”
He said he would do everything he could to work with the government to help the project succeed.
In a video interview late last year published by Motoring.com.au, Dumarey said the change of prime ministership in Australia had meant a change in attitude from the Australian government towards his bid.

“I think there is a complete new wave in the last month after the change of prime minister, the politics from Mr Abbott is different from the politics of today,” he said, adding he was asking Australians to “judge me on the result and give me a fair go, that’s it”.
Dumarey has been looking at the Elizabeth plant since 2014 and had several meetings with the Abbott government about the plan – which he has dubbed Project Erich – but it is understood they showed little interest.
He believes he can develop premium rear and all-wheel drive cars and using the Commodore’s Zeta architecture, as well as continue producing the Commodore utility, for the domestic and overseas markets.

The government originally planned to save $800m from the ATS as the car industry prepared to close and the Coalition declared the “age of industry entitlement’ to be over. But last year year it partially reversed that decision, budgeting to spend $105m to continue assistance to components makers, while diverting the rest back into Treasury coffers. At that time the government reversed a decision to repeal the ATS legislation. Continuing ATS payments for cars made by Punch in South Australia would force it to reverse some of the budget savings.

Abbott’s unpopularity, the looming end of car manufacturing and uncertainty over the future submarines project were causing huge problems for the South Australian Liberals. Under Abbott polling suggested they faced the loss of three seats, Pyne’s seat of Sturt, Mayo, held by Jamie Briggs who resigned from the ministry earlier this month over inappropriate behaviour on an overseas trip and Hindmarsh, held by Matt Williams. The Coalition was deeply concerned about the impact of independent Nick Xenophon’s decision to stand candidates in lower house seats.

Although the polling in the state has improved significantly under Malcolm Turnbull, leaked texts published by the Australian revealed that even after the change in prime ministership Pyne was asking a high-profile local radio announcer to convince Xenophon not to run a candidate against him in Sturt. Xenophon has now announced a candidate.
Man, this is sure to fail, just like how some business men tried to save the Rover car company in the early 2000s. And we'll have egg on our faces because the Liberals will be throwing money at this

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
iiNet group used to be good, and were standing their ground against the media companies on forwarding letters and providing customer details.
They are now part of TPG soooo not sure if that will keep going forwards.

They are one of the major hardware owners in exchanges (along with Optus and Telstra) so they have more leverage to provide better data limits. The 1000gb thing is mainly because they had to drop the free Netflix traffic thing due to a conflict with TPG being a stakeholder in one of the other streaming providers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Look like TPG may be a goer, thanks guys

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
TPG is poo poo and if they get a bigger foothold it means darker days for Australian internet, they're starting to build their own NBN for apartments but once that rolls out they can charge whatever the gently caress they want.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

In my experience TPG tech support are not very good, rigidly following a script where they blame everyone and everything except themselves for an issue, up to the point of wanting you to ring your modem manufacturer when the password they give you doesn't work. Perfectly fine as long as nothing goes wrong though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

norp posted:

iiNet group used to be good, and were standing their ground against the media companies on forwarding letters and providing customer details.
They are now part of TPG soooo not sure if that will keep going forwards.

They are one of the major hardware owners in exchanges (along with Optus and Telstra) so they have more leverage to provide better data limits. The 1000gb thing is mainly because they had to drop the free Netflix traffic thing due to a conflict with TPG being a stakeholder in one of the other streaming providers.

I've been with iinet for a long time, so I still get netflix on Freezone, but that probably won't last for long. They tend to grandfather forward their old plans by about a year or so. It took them about a year before they started counting uploads towards my limit after that became their standard.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

TPG is poo poo and if they get a bigger foothold it means darker days for Australian internet, they're starting to build their own NBN for apartments but once that rolls out they can charge whatever the gently caress they want.

Unfortunately moving into my own place means I will now be too poor to make ethical considerations when purchasing goods and services

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

freebooter posted:

Re: visa cancelling, it's political to me because they haven't actually committed any crime per se, and it reminds me of students protesting against universities allowing certain speakers; I'd rather see the shithead speaker show up and then have a protest.

And this is how it always starts: with somebody we can all agree about. Not a single reasonable person would argue that a PUA/MRA dude has worthwhile opinions. It starts with the people who are widely despised, and then it inches its way along and soon you'll see Dutton cancelling the visas of, for example, somebody who works for Save the Children or Amnesty International and has dastardly plans to disrupt our border protection policies.

Agreed. We've had this discussion a million times, in the end the argument boils down to giving the immigration department too much power.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Australia is too terrible to get kitty pictures today.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

In my experience TPG tech support are not very good, rigidly following a script where they blame everyone and everything except themselves for an issue, up to the point of wanting you to ring your modem manufacturer when the password they give you doesn't work. Perfectly fine as long as nothing goes wrong though.
They also have a crappy email server which can't handle peak volume of emails coming in, like when the company I work for sends out mass emails to shareholders, and they have the gall to blame us for the shareholder not receiving our email.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Internode has been good for me. Been with them since 2004 and have always had good service and no outages. Getting a free tb upgrade per month was cool too!

E: they also helped me out with a uni assignment and pretended I was business customer and gave me a proper quote and everything. Top blokes/sheilas considering they made no money off it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So is Tasmania going to run out of electricity or something?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

fliptophead posted:

Internode has been good for me. Been with them since 2004 and have always had good service and no outages. Getting a free tb upgrade per month was cool too!

E: they also helped me out with a uni assignment and pretended I was business customer and gave me a proper quote and everything. Top blokes/sheilas considering they made no money off it.

I was always happy with Internode, but their plans on nbn weren't as competitive as other providers. Ended up with Skymesh, I really like not being locked in to things.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog:

Australia is too terrible to get kitty pictures today.

Australia is so terrible it gets first dog cartoons.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

fliptophead posted:

The odds of them doing things like that now they've been bought by TPG and support staff ratios reduced are pretty bad.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Mr Chips posted:

The odds of them doing things like that now they've been bought by TPG and support staff ratios reduced are pretty bad.

Nah so far TPG are leveraging their infrastructure but haven't torn up their customer facing side of the business. I have moved house 3 times on Internode, recently last week, and they've remained helpful and awesome all the time.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

I dunno. They tripled my cap for free without telling me some time in the last four or five months.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So is Tasmania going to run out of electricity or something?

Yeah, looks that way!

Turns out burning all the state's water reveres to cash in on mainland green-tariffs is not terribly responsible.

But you only ~really~ get caught when basslink goes down and suddenly you're out of water in a few months. What's the chances?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

TG-Chrono posted:

Nah so far TPG are leveraging their infrastructure but haven't torn up their customer facing side of the business. I have moved house 3 times on Internode, recently last week, and they've remained helpful and awesome all the time.
staff headcount in Adelaide (ie Internode + Adam) has been reduced, and I hear rumours that things are changing in WA operations too. I know 3 people who used to work for those companies who don't any more because of the TPG thing.

Pickled Tink posted:

I dunno. They tripled my cap for free without telling me some time in the last four or five months.
Next step is to remove quota free zone...just wait and see.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

Yeah I don't know how long it'll last but good for now and better infrastructure than TPG! This adsl2+ btw....still waiting for the exchange to be brought closer by the reject shop nbn.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

freebooter posted:

Re: visa cancelling, it's political to me because they haven't actually committed any crime per se, and it reminds me of students protesting against universities allowing certain speakers; I'd rather see the shithead speaker show up and then have a protest.

And this is how it always starts: with somebody we can all agree about. Not a single reasonable person would argue that a PUA/MRA dude has worthwhile opinions. It starts with the people who are widely despised, and then it inches its way along and soon you'll see Dutton cancelling the visas of, for example, somebody who works for Save the Children or Amnesty International and has dastardly plans to disrupt our border protection policies.

He's inciting violence, which is and always has been unlawful speech, even in the US.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Eric Abetz dismisses calls by 933 academics for detained children's release as "a sad disassociation from practical considerations".

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Eric Abetz dismisses calls by 933 academics for detained children's release as "a sad disassociation from practical considerations".

Nazi fuckhole.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Hold the phone.

SMH posted:

Dick Smith eyes bid to unseat Bronwyn Bishop

They are both noted aviation enthusiasts.
But Dick Smith and Bronwyn Bishop could be on a collision course to fighting it out on the ground for the former Speaker's federal seat of Mackellar.

Mr Smith has been approached by senior figures in the aviation industry urging him to stand against Mrs Bishop, one of his childhood friends, Fairfax Media can reveal.

According to Mr Smith, the group paid for polling of voters in Mackellar, which found the entrepreneur and former Australian of the year would win the seat if he stood as an independent.

Mrs Bishop, 73, has re-nominated and senior Liberal sources believe she is almost certain to be re-endorsed by local party members during the current preselection process.

But the infamous "choppergate" scandal that ended her tenure as Speaker and rocked the beleaguered Abbott government has dented her popularity with ordinary voters in Mackellar.
"They told me they spent money on polling and 'you would romp it in'," Mr Smith told Fairfax Media.

Mackellar, located on Sydney's northern beaches peninsula, is known as a parochial seat but Mr Smith has lived in the electorate for decades and ran the National Geographic business from Terrey Hills, also inside the electorate.

"I have been asked to stand and I am thinking about it. I would only do it as an independent," he said.

"The first person I would ring if I do decide to stand is Bronwyn, I still consider her a friend."

The pair grew up in the same street in East Roseville and attended Roseville Public School. Mr Smith has previously revealed Mrs Bishop, who is 18 months older than him, was the "treasurer" of a cubbie house that neighbourhood kids had in local bushland.

Mr Smith endorsed a Sustainable Population Party candidate in the recent North Sydney byelection to replace former treasurer Joe Hockey and he believes his views on curbing population growth in Sydney would resonate in Mackellar where development density and growing travel times to the city have been persistent concerns.

But his main motivation, he said, would be to fight the "staggering increase" in red tape in non-airline aviation under Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss, whose Infrastructure and Regional Development portfolio includes the sector.
"I'm concerned that the aviation industry is being completely destroyed under the Coalition," he said.

Last year, Mr Smith declared he would challenge former Prime Minister Tony Abbott in his seat of Warringah because the Coalition had backed away from a promise to install radar technology at regional airports. At the time, he said he did not want to win Warringah but hoped to draw attention to the aviation issue.

On Wednesday, he said there was no longer any point in challenging the dumped prime minister but said the issue of safety and rising costs had got even worse.

Mr Smith believes the Coalition's appointments of former military leaders Angus Houston and Mark Skidomore to roles at Airservices Australia and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, respectively, is emblematic of an approach that has seen the imposition of "expensive rules" that have made flying costlier but failed to deliver commensurate safety improvements.

He said flight movements at Sydney's second airport, Bankstown, had fallen from 500,000 a year to 270,000 since the change of government. Last week, the one remaining shop selling food at Bankstown Airport closed.

Mr Smith said he felt "too old" to begin in politics but said the polling suggested voters in Mackellar "can't believe" Mrs Bishop at 73 intends to go around again.
"If it's the only way I can get these [aviation] reforms, I will do it," he said.

Sources from the Liberal Party's moderate and centre right factions said there was now virtually no chance of persuading or preventing Mrs Bishop from running again.

Fairfax Media revealed in December that Mrs Bishop had told supporters at her annual Christmas drinks function at her Newport home that she wanted to stay in Parliament to fight the rising threat of terror.

Liberal branches are expected to overwhelmingly back her despite the likelihood of challengers from the hard right and moderates.

"Why get involved in a fight you can't win?," said a source.

Another said of the preselection process: "She will contest it and in my view she will win it."

Her most ferocious opposition is likely to come from the hard right grouped around Mr Abbott.

The faction is still incensed that Mrs Bishop withdrew her support for Mr Abbott and voted for Malcolm Turnbull in September's leadership spill after the former prime minister had sustained weeks of damage as he stood by her over her extravagant use of a helicopter to a Liberal fundraiser in Geelong.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/dick-smith-eyes-bid-to-unseat-bronwyn-bishop-20160120-gma385.html

Well there you go.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Just a note about choosing an Internet plan, keep in mind that some internet connection methods are only available in some areas. In my area, I can get Optus ADSL with unlimited downloads for about $60 but Telstra is the only carrier who runs cable Internet to my address and I'm paying $70 for 500gb/month. Which is more expensive but we're talking about the difference between 35mb/sec and 3-7mb/sec.

I've been happy with my service so far but even if I wasn't, there isn't a lot of competition.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

I'd vote for Dick Smith

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

SMH posted:

They are both noted aviation enthusiasts.

Hahaha great opening line.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/sydney-restaurants-seek-workers-for-10-an-hour-20160120-gma52k.html

the continued exploitation of international students, including at Mamak which if you've ever been to Chinatown in Sydney you will know

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

redweird posted:

I find it unnerving that BB likes the whitest food possible

What the gently caress you think I grew up on?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

Help me, Auspol: I'm moving to my own place with no housemates and a real lease for the first time like an adult and I've realised I have to hook up all my own utilities.

What's Australia's least-bad internet service provider?

I got a quote from Telstra for $75 a month for 100 gigs and the iinet website says I can have 1000 gigs for $70, what, that doesn't even begin to make sense, what's going on

See if you can get cable or nbn before signing up for ADSL, because those first two are extremely good and the last one is extremely, extremely poo poo.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

See if you can get cable or nbn before signing up for ADSL, because those first two are extremely good and the last one is extremely, extremely poo poo.

ehhhh cable in some areas can be really poo poo during peak times due to congestion/lots of households on cable TV.

Also depends on how close you are to an exchange. We're really close to one on ADSL2+ and we get 24mbps.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Sanguine posted:

Yeah, looks that way!

Turns out burning all the state's water reveres to cash in on mainland green-tariffs is not terribly responsible.

But you only ~really~ get caught when basslink goes down and suddenly you're out of water in a few months. What's the chances?

Nah it's all good coz were currently burning to the ground. Turns out they allowed enough power for a barren burntout wasteland (tassie joke goes here [tassie is the joke])

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'll be in St Kilda so no NBN apparently. Also I'm realising I'm less of a techie nerd than a lot of you because I have no idea what cable or ADSL or line rental or any of that stuff means

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smegmatron posted:

He's inciting violence, which is and always has been unlawful speech, even in the US.

Then let him come here and arrest him when he does it.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

freebooter posted:

I'll be in St Kilda so no NBN apparently. Also I'm realising I'm less of a techie nerd than a lot of you because I have no idea what cable or ADSL or line rental or any of that stuff means

Just call Telstra and ask them what connection options are available at your address. If cable is available, they'll carry it. If they say you're adsl only, any carrier can connect you.

Generally cable is better by a wide margin and if it's available, you should go for it but remember that not all carriers can hook up cable so you have to ask.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't think I want to go with telstra though, they charge $75 for 100 gigs a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anyone got an article on the Tasmania power thing? From what I can tell so far they had to repair the connection to the mainline, thought the dams had about enough water to provide hydro during the maintenance period, and then the state started burning down so they had to start draining off the dams for firefighting?

• Locked thread