Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
so something like

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

or this

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x-sfp/

combined with

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

?

I live in an apartment so I think it would be overkill but wouldn't be bad to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tp-link archer c7 is good and cheap

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
last time i bought a tplink it was a gigantic pos

have they changed in the past 5 years?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have some older tplink and its fine just fine. it doesn't have all the features of tomato and you cant put tomato on it but its fine all the same. I'd prob get the c7 if I was in the market for a new one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ubiquiti stuff would be cool if ur gonna buy the 3 pack and mesh out ur place but if you only need one AP its probably overkill.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Migishu posted:

last time i bought a tplink it was a gigantic pos

have they changed in the past 5 years?

Shaggar posted:

I have some older tplink and its fine just fine. it doesn't have all the features of tomato and you cant put tomato on it but its fine all the same. I'd prob get the c7 if I was in the market for a new one

the key thing to remember with any consumer electronics is that there's always a few dogs that get shipped. it sux and is annoying but unless you see more than a few people reporting similar problems there probably aren't any systemic problems

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

the key thing to remember with any consumer electronics is that there's always a few dogs that get shipped. it sux and is annoying but unless you see more than a few people reporting similar problems there probably aren't any systemic problems

networking gear is a special case with consumer electronics, because there was a huge gap once residential broadband speeds started increasing between what the lovely little chips/firmwares on your run of the mill linksys/dlink/whatever could handle in terms of simultaneous connections, NAT table entries and poo poo like that

its gotten better now but it was really bad less than 10 years ago

i remember when fios first started rolling out in 2005 verizon gave you a free dlink router with a custom firmware because all the poo poo out on the market was complete garbage

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
you still see people trying to keep a wrt54g going on a modern cable connection, it's great

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

fishmech posted:

you still see people trying to keep a wrt54g going on a modern cable connection, it's great

"why am i only getting 25 mbps on a 100 mbps connection"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

*sets 2.4 ghz wifi to channel 3*

why is my wifi so slow?

*has 10 adjacent neighbors making GBS threads up the 2.4 ghz band with 40 MHz 802.11n*

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
*sets channel on 5ghz to auto*

*goddamn idiot piece of poo poo router chooses channel with other APs on it, ignoring 4 billion megahertz of wide open air* :argh:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

have this and get the full speed from my modem. i get internet in the parking garage through a concrete wall too

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Shaggar posted:

the ubiquiti stuff would be cool if ur gonna buy the 3 pack and mesh out ur place but if you only need one AP its probably overkill.

do never mesh.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

do never mesh.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
mesh: not even once

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i have a couple ubiquiti APs with a powerline backhaul and it's fine

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i have a couple ubiquiti APs with a powerline backhaul and it's fine

yeah thats fine as long as the powerline isn't terrible like it was in my house but wifi backhaul mesh is bad and nobody should ever do it in an office/access-point configuration

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can get lucky with powerline and have it work but most of the time it's utter dogshit.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I live in a 650 sqft apartment, so I think the ubiquiti equipment, while it would be super cool to play with enterprise equipment, would be overkill.

Also our dollar is quite poo poo so $60-100 for the router and $100-150 for the wifi AP would be super expensive. If I can find a reasonable price for the 2 pieces sure, since it won't be much more, but U'll probably go for the TPLink.

Cheers thread.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Has our society reached the point yet where it is possible to buy a functional color printer that will work for more than three weeks?

I need a color printer but I have been burned by a lot of printers in the past.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

Has our society reached the point yet where it is possible to buy a functional color printer that will work for more than three weeks?

we are not moving in the direction you are suggesting afaict

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corla Plankun posted:

i got an hp officejet 4620 and it works great for the like $100 i paid for it. been working for the past 3 years too

wish it had an ethernet port because the wifi on it can be pretty wonky but w/e

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i normally sync my phone with my home computer but im away from home right now and there's some music i want to transfer to my phone. i guess itunes doesnt let you drag files to your phone manually when its synced with a different computer. so i know there are 3rd party programs that will let you do this but i need to know which one is good. i tried some janky one called anytrans but it erased all the id3 tags :wtf:

i am on a macintosh btw.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
welcome 2 the apple experience.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you're dragging and dropping files in tyool 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
im out of my element and its the only option i have

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

my parents grabbed some $150 hp or epson that serves them well for second year already i think, i can get the model if youre curious

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My mom has this Epson AIO and it has Wi-Fi but I told her to just use USB because gently caress troubleshooting that over the phone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

My mom has this Epson AIO and it has Wi-Fi but I told her to just use USB because gently caress troubleshooting that over the phone.
i dont remember what i set up parents' over to, but i think i made it work either way so i wouldnt have to do anything regarding of which puter it is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

buy a laser b&w printer and print color poo poo at work or at a print shop

i still have the same hp 1020 laser printer i bought in 2008 and have yet to change the toner cartridge on because who the gently caress prints anything in tyool 2016

if your ~*use case*~ requires more than occasional color printing you'll have to shell out a lot for a deecee color laser

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

mishaq posted:

if your ~*use case*~ requires more than occasional color printing you'll have to shell out a lot for a deecee color laser
Yeah, this is the problem. A friend of mine has a laser b&w that works great and I would happily buy one of those brother machines if I just needed to print stuff but my wife has to print color pages every thursday and there isn't any print shops by our house so it is a huge pain in the rear end

its pretty rad that ityool 2016 there is still not a five-golden-egg color printer on newegg with enough reviews for the eggs to mean anything

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Corla Plankun posted:

Yeah, this is the problem. A friend of mine has a laser b&w that works great and I would happily buy one of those brother machines if I just needed to print stuff but my wife has to print color pages every thursday and there isn't any print shops by our house so it is a huge pain in the rear end

its pretty rad that ityool 2016 there is still not a five-golden-egg color printer on newegg with enough reviews for the eggs to mean anything

inkjet: not crap, cheap ink, cheap printer - choose one

laser: not crap, decent print quality, not $texas - choose two

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corla Plankun posted:

just get a random hp color laserjet that's high enough end to have ethernet capability built in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

blowfish posted:

inkjet: not crap, cheap ink, cheap printer - choose one

laser: not crap, decent print quality, not $texas - choose two

I have a cheapo sarnsung laser and its all of those things

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
i have a brother color laser mfc and while i don't print very often it's worked fine through >2000 pages and 6 years

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I have a cheapo sarnsung laser and its all of those things
for printing documents you're probably right, though the cheapo samsung laser things are extremely sensitive to ingesting dusty paper sometimes

for photos that go in a frame and on the wall though it's hard to find an adequate laser printer at all

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just print at work

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

im out of my element and its the only option i have

make a playlist on spotify and stream ur music

upload your songs to the amazon or google cloud and stream it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

counterpoint: :flaccid::yayclod: