Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NNick posted:

I took it literally - Geralt seems like a fairly literal dude.

I read The Lesser Evil/Butcher of Blavikan chapter in The Last Wish and, man, I loved it. Does that event happen in either Witcher 1 or Witcher 2?

Re: The Sword. Geralt talks about it in the beginning of the next chapter.

"You ask what I believe in that case. I believe in the sword. As you can see, I carry two. Every witcher does. It is said, spitefully, the silver one is for monsters and the iron for humans. But that's wrong. As there are monsters which can be struck down only with a silver blade, so there are those for whom iron is lethal."
There's a very, very similar event to the Butcher of Blaviken episode in one of the Witcher 1 standalone adventure things. CDPR had originally released a level editor thing and had support for user-created campaigns, and created a slightly modified version of that story. But no, all of the events in the book occur before the events of Witcher 1.

e: and I think its less that there are fewer monsters (and I do think that's true, but not much) and more that there are other groups who are starting to hunt them too. The Church of the Eternal Fire is getting better at monster-slaying, it seems like, and they do it for "free".

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I played all three games but haven't read the books; my impression especially in W3 with your interactions with godlings and the Crones, the native habitat of most monsters is the wild, uncivilized, unordered lands.

Obviously there are exceptions like vampires or dopplegangers who do pretty well in cities, but most monsters (ghouls, drowners, gryphons, wraiths, on and on) disappear when civilization shows up. Just like Geralt and witchers are a relic of the pre-human savage world, as human kingdoms (and huge well-ordered empires like Nilfgaard) take control the supernatural is pushed to the fringes. Plow the land, assign soldiers to guard it, when problems do crop up send your Eternal Fire priests, witch and monster hunters to deal with it.

It's a pretty common fantasy theme, the older more magical world being replaced by the unstoppable momentum of humanity and their cities and chopping down magic forests to plant wheat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pellisworth posted:

I played all three games but haven't read the books; my impression especially in W3 with your interactions with godlings and the Crones, the native habitat of most monsters is the wild, uncivilized, unordered lands.

Obviously there are exceptions like vampires or dopplegangers who do pretty well in cities, but most monsters (ghouls, drowners, gryphons, wraiths, on and on) disappear when civilization shows up. Just like Geralt and witchers are a relic of the pre-human savage world, as human kingdoms (and huge well-ordered empires like Nilfgaard) take control the supernatural is pushed to the fringes. Plow the land, assign soldiers to guard it, when problems do crop up send your Eternal Fire priests, witch and monster hunters to deal with it.

It's a pretty common fantasy theme, the older more magical world being replaced by the unstoppable momentum of humanity and their cities and chopping down magic forests to plant wheat.
There's nothing so black and white as monsters are a product of the uncivilized lands. Necrophages are seemingly human dependent. You mention the Crones, their entire thing is they represent a deal with the devil to keep rural towns protected against both the wild unordered (they despise Johnny and are set up directly against the druid's spirit) and outsiders (their fief is remarkably unconcerned with the war).

However, the world is clearly set up as working on some mechanism where magic waxes and wanes, so monsters could be losing footing cosmically. Either abstractly in some unknowable way (like monsters are fated to fade away like elven civilization), or just becoming weak enough that footmen stand a chance against a drowner, where witchers needed to step in as a magical equalizer in the past. The important part is its set up in such a way to show humanity's awfulness stepping up to the occasion instead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah there's tons of monsters.

It's just that most of them don't require silver.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing how much effort you have to put in to get a master smith to make a piece of master equipment. For master griffin, outside the necessity of running back and forth for an hour for their quests (I hate Witcher 3's fast travel system so much), I had to use the internet because the map broke and the steel sword didn't display on the map followed by another hour of intense inventory management to make everything followed by selling the rest of the inventory because christ that's expensive followed by the slow horror that I'm one level below the requirement for the gear, not two levels above like the internet said. I'm at Skellige finding the sunstone and about to sneak onboard the emperor's flagship and I thought the game was about to end twice in the last eight hours so who knows how much is left.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It's amazing how much effort you have to put in to get a master smith to make a piece of master equipment. For master griffin, outside the necessity of running back and forth for an hour for their quests (I hate Witcher 3's fast travel system so much), I had to use the internet because the map broke and the steel sword didn't display on the map followed by another hour of intense inventory management to make everything followed by selling the rest of the inventory because christ that's expensive followed by the slow horror that I'm one level below the requirement for the gear, not two levels above like the internet said. I'm at Skellige finding the sunstone and about to sneak onboard the emperor's flagship and I thought the game was about to end twice in the last eight hours so who knows how much is left.

you're pretty close

it is true though that you don't get to wear the mastercrafted sets until the very end of the base game, and the main quest sort of blue balls you in suggesting it's about to end. Isle of Mists! Battle for Kaer Morhen! Final Preparations! Final Preparations except for serious this time!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pellisworth posted:

you're pretty close

it is true though that you don't get to wear the mastercrafted sets until the very end of the base game, and the main quest sort of blue balls you in suggesting it's about to end. Isle of Mists! Battle for Kaer Morhen! Final Preparations! Final Preparations except for serious this time!

Yeah I got a laugh out of Battle Preparations following Final Preparations. With Isle of Mists I thought it was cute how Sleeping Beauty got seven five dwarves too.

Actually I figured the master gear wouldn't matter that much, but I kind of felt compelled to. :v:

I didn't buy the dlc, but I probably will once it goes on sale. Bugs and jank aside I've really enjoyed the game (outside of levels 1 through 8)!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Mastercrafted sets were all raised by three levels at some point, presumably to make them viable with Wolf or something about uniformity- I don't remember the reasoning behind that one.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

"They're both for monsters" re: the swords is a sentiment I saw attributed to Geralt a lot even before I got interested in the games so I assumed him cynically remarking on human moral weakness was just sort of his, uh, thing. Also it makes for a hecka cool batman-style quote. His reputation as an oversexed stone-cold badass did not prepare me for a dork who makes dad jokes and awkwardly tries to keep his composure around a bunch of sorceresses and fellow witchers who can see right through him.

The other two games don't really tackle book content. The first one is sort of a post-books fanfic, the second is kind of the political setup for the third.

I always read it as both humans and literal monsters, there are plenty of mythical monsters that require iron to hurt/kill in folk lore. If i remember correctly he also later revisits the "less monsters" thing and also points out that "more witchers" is also a lie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

captain innocuous posted:

What is Redania going to do with all those monsters, especially when they string up and kill all the mages who could possibly help?
Well, the mages are actually actively making the situation worse. The extra novel Season of Storms deals specifically with a whole school of mages producing various prototypes of monsters 'for the sake of humanity' but because mages are a bunch of ego-driven idiots, the monsters tend to escape into the wild and Geralt is hired to get rid of them.

Honestly that whole novel would own as an expansion to this game.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I'm a bit conflicted to the armor sets. I've just created enhanced Griffin armour (all pieces) but I still have armour with a lot better stats. Why wouldn't I want to wear the better armor instead of my Griffin set?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gallilee posted:

I'm a bit conflicted to the armor sets. I've just created enhanced Griffin armour (all pieces) but I still have armour with a lot better stats. Why wouldn't I want to wear the better armor instead of my Griffin set?

You can upgrade all the Witcher armor multiple times. That said each set has a gimmick attached to it, like Griffin makes your signs stronger. Also keep in mind that armor might be Light/Medium/Heavy and that gives different stats and bonuses, I have had to stop myself from using a "better" set sometimes because it would mess up my bonuses.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

The way they handle Djikstra in that questline is one of the few disappointments in the game for me

Even if you're pragmatic with him the quest still ends with Djikstra giving Geralt a silly ultimatum. He could go after Roche anytime, so why give away your plans to seize power before tying up that loose end? Especially with the witcher around.

Djikstra should be calculating enough to say 'well done gentlemen' and plan to slip Roche some poison later. Instead he basically incites a brawl he can't win.
It didn't ruin the game or anything but it wasn't exactly a high-light.

Well, it's two things.

One, for in-game reasons, it's a calculated risk for him. He could try to get them now, while they're alone in his domain where he has a poo poo-ton of assassins to make the attempt, or he could wait for them to disappear and try to find them somehow in their own hideout surrounded by their troops. Geralt is a badass, sure, but Dijkstra is incapable of seeing the giant invisible "I have control over space and time and it is impossible to defeat me in combat" sign hovering over his head.

Two, and that's a storytelling reason, that plan wouldn't involve Geralt, your protagonist. It'd just be "oh your friends died off-screen weird huh".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

gallilee posted:

Use whatever works better for you. People are heavily exaggerating about not crafting gear outside of witcher sets as the game is too easy to worry about min-maxing. You'll be as effective in the gear of your choice. Who cares if you melt enemies 0.5 second faster.

If anything it's the highest mastercrafted witcher gear that is way better than what you can otherwise craft/find and you'll have to be level 34 to wear it (basically the last bits of endgame and the expansion). Before that you can use whatever you want.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It turns out the real monster is nekkers.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Picked this up in the steam xmas sale and as a result my child is experiencing what it's like to have no father. Managed to sink 160 hours in just running about doing oddjobs and exploring, just about to hit level 26.
Anyone else get mad season 2 of Rome vibes from the gangs of Novigrad stuff? I even sounds like some of the voice actors from the colligium segment of that show. similarly, the Pellar sounds spookily like the late Pete Postlethwaite and I'm properly amazed the Bloody Baron isn't actually Marc Addy of Robert Baratheon fame.
Only issue I'm really having now is combat seems to have become highly trivial since about lvl 20 onwards, I do miss getting my rear end absolutely handed to me and having to run the gently caress away like a squealing 12 yr old girl. Are there more higher level enemies ahead or have i just overlevelled myself?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shannow posted:

Only issue I'm really having now is combat seems to have become highly trivial since about lvl 20 onwards, I do miss getting my rear end absolutely handed to me and having to run the gently caress away like a squealing 12 yr old girl. Are there more higher level enemies ahead or have i just overlevelled myself?
The expansion has some tough fights for the end game and there is a tougher fight here and there and you can always up the difficulty or fight monsters outleveling you but that's mostly it. I also have no idea where you are in the main quest. There's also the freaking 48 level Griffin on one Skellige island.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Level 20 is around Kaer Morhen or late Skellige if you do most stuff in each region. Base game doesn't really have tough fights anymore, but Heart of Stone does.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shannow posted:

Yeah for all the amazing bits of Witcher 3, it has a pretty typical RPG power curve where most combat becomes a breeze past mid-game.

I'd suggest turning up the difficulty if possible and see what that does for you. There are definitely higher-level enemies around and maybe a few challenging fights in the base game. The expansion is a big step up in difficulty, but it's end game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Death March makes it so even when overleveled if you do not pay attention you can get killed. Combat does not get any harder, but there are more consequences if you make a mistake.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been playing Witcher 2 on insane mode. It's kind of crazy how fast you can get through the game. I just died on my last attempt at ghost fight :(.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The true challenge is in deciding if you want to go three hours out of your way around a mountain, or if you dare face the fearsome one degree incline. Will you instantly die? Will you survive? Who knows!

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

RBA Starblade posted:

The true challenge is in deciding if you want to go three hours out of your way around a mountain, or if you dare face the fearsome one degree incline. Will you instantly die? Will you survive? Who knows!

There should definitely be a trophy for getting to the top of some of the peaks on Skellige.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol, look at this noob who can't play Witcher 3 like SSX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAX_Rsj0dZQ&t=13s

There are even parts of mountains that are basically snowboarding bowls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way it's really impressive just how few clipping issues there are on armor and hair and weapons. The only one I actually saw was the belt for the mastercrafted griffin armor clips inside a few links of chainmail when Geralt bends over. I'm glad some game eventually was able to do that, it always bugs me!

Palpek posted:

Lol, look at this noob who can't play Witcher 3 like SSX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAX_Rsj0dZQ&t=13s

There are even parts of mountains that are basically snowboarding bowls.

I know. I slid down one, landed safely, then instantly died to the two inch drop immediately after. :v:

e: Eredin's hitting me for 0 damage so I'm going to guess one last thing broke.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 20, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way it's really impressive just how few clipping issues there are on armor and hair and weapons. The only one I actually saw was the belt for the mastercrafted griffin armor clips inside a few links of chainmail when Geralt bends over. I'm glad some game eventually was able to do that, it always bugs me!

I know. I slid down one, landed safely, then instantly died to the two inch drop immediately after. :v:

e: Eredin's hitting me for 0 damage so I'm going to guess one last thing broke.

There's a couple new "iron" weapons in the DLC that can have clipping issues with the silver swords sort of. They're made so they are overlapped by the silver sword but it still looks awkward.

Only real clipping issues I've seen are when animals roam through cutscenes. A goat interrupted a couple scenes at the Battle of Kaer Mohren which was too funny. One of the pigs interrupted the dlc wedding events too.

Also, climbing skellige mountains is great just because of the snowboarding mechanic. I especially like that one trial where that's the only way down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nasgate posted:

There's a couple new "iron" weapons in the DLC that can have clipping issues with the silver swords sort of. They're made so they are overlapped by the silver sword but it still looks awkward.

Only real clipping issues I've seen are when animals roam through cutscenes. A goat interrupted a couple scenes at the Battle of Kaer Mohren which was too funny. One of the pigs interrupted the dlc wedding events too.

Also, climbing skellige mountains is great just because of the snowboarding mechanic. I especially like that one trial where that's the only way down.

A couple of strippers clipped into each other too which was pretty funny but that's it for models that I noticed.

Finished the game! Ciri survived and took the Path. It tricked me. :haw:

Not much else to say really, it was a great game but a lot of issues drag it down some. I'm a little sad to see it end, though I can always buy the dlcs down the line.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

A couple of strippers clipped into each other too which was pretty funny but that's it for models that I noticed.

Finished the game! Ciri survived and took the Path. It tricked me. :haw:

Not much else to say really, it was a great game but a lot of issues drag it down some. I'm a little sad to see it end, though I can always buy the dlcs down the line.

The DLC so far is 100% worth it. It also A) has no direct connection to the main game except for one of the main cities and the money lender playing a small role. And B) will let you start a new character at the appropriate level for the DLC.

So even if you forget everything or delete your saves, you can pick up and play the DLC later.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So Ciri is new for Wild Hunt, right? I just finished 1 & 2 and was expecting them to give her some backstory like they did Triss & Yennefer (I still can't say that with a straight face), but is her introduction really Wild Hunt's "Here is a child. Now here is that child as a woman. Go turn her into a trading card"?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

So Ciri is new for Wild Hunt, right? I just finished 1 & 2 and was expecting them to give her some backstory like they did Triss & Yennefer (I still can't say that with a straight face), but is her introduction really Wild Hunt's "Here is a child. Now here is that child as a woman. Go turn her into a trading card"?

Her backstory is "read the novels."

Also please don't turn your adopted daughter into a trading card

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also please don't turn your adopted daughter into a trading card

Now that is a medieval protip for life, if I ever read one.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

There are also tons of moments during the game where people are like "Hey Geralt, tell me about Ciri" and you can choose whether to have Geralt explain Ciri's backstory or not. Play the game more, ya dingus.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Crappy Jack posted:

There are also tons of moments during the game where people are like "Hey Geralt, tell me about Ciri" and you can choose whether to have Geralt explain Ciri's backstory or not. Play the game more, ya dingus.

I will once the magical package delivery fairies get around to sending me my new GPU... I'm just trying to make sure I didn't miss anything big in 1 & 2, since my play order to date has been "Play 3 for a few hours, enjoy the hell out of it, get confused, start from 1 to get un-confused" :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TW3 was actually my first Witcher game so when it hit the ground running I just sort of ran with it.

I figured the game'd explain stuff later and it did.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

TW3 was actually my first Witcher game so when it hit the ground running I just sort of ran with it.

I figured the game'd explain stuff later and it did.

Okay awesome, that's good to hear :)

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Witcher 3 was my first witcher anything, so I read this:

http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-the-witcher-1704506152

Great article, helps a lot.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Fooz posted:

Witcher 3 was my first witcher anything, so I read this:

http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-the-witcher-1704506152

Great article, helps a lot.

Holy crap this thing is great, they should've bundled it with the game proper; thank you!!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I really like the way they did that kind of stuff in this game. They trust you a lot of the time to pick stuff up by context and when they do talk about the past its old pals reminiscing about funny or emotional things to them instead of just just plot exposition.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I really like the way they did that kind of stuff in this game. They trust you a lot of the time to pick stuff up by context and when they do talk about the past its old pals reminiscing about funny or emotional things to them instead of just just plot exposition.

This works not just as a way to catch newbies up, but also to give winks and nods to people who know what's up and i love just how clever and else-wise awesome writing it is.

Personally i fell in love with the universe really quickly, and purchased The Last Wish on google play for like five bucks. It especially gives lots of backstory to two major side threads in the game that aren't really in the previous games. The titular Last Wish and the origins of everyone's favourite brooding emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Talking of the books, I've just picked up an email from Amazon about pre-ordering the English version of The Tower of the Swallow.
It's out in the UK on the 19th May and the US on the 17th May. Kindle version ordered.