Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
For everyone else who is as confused as I am, Anthony Cumia was the Anthony in Opie and Anthony, a radio show notorious for being two dumb racist sexist monstrous assholes who hide behind the guise of comedy. Jim Norton loves them because his brand of comedy is close to theirs, but he's actually funny.

So, apparently Dave picked a fight with a much larger bugbear than himself.

Why are Opie and Anthony relevant in 2016? Aren't they on some tiny Sirius station or something now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

rotinaj posted:

Why are Opie and Anthony relevant in 2016? Aren't they on some tiny Sirius station or something now?
The radio show is Opie & Jim now, Cumia was finally fired in 2014 for being a racist shithead. Then he started his own subscription-based video podcast thing, which is adding new shows, so I guess he still has his audience?

I'm guessing Dave was referencing this.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Gary says:
Hey dollop fans, fear not, all will be back in a week or two. Podcasts will still be out. DA is just laying low for a week.
https://twitter.com/reynoldsgareth/status/683738946317062144

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Never heard of the dude but he looks like the type who should have been nipped in the bud by school bullying decades ago

Boomer Esiason tried, but it didn't work.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Piquai Souban posted:

Gary says:
Hey dollop fans, fear not, all will be back in a week or two. Podcasts will still be out. DA is just laying low for a week.
https://twitter.com/reynoldsgareth/status/683738946317062144
:lol: I get that Cumia is an ugly poo poo who should have been aborted or properly loved (one or the other) but I still can't help but find the idea of DA in twitter hiding (while Gary passes along communiques) hilarious
dude can't dish it or take it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Anthony Cumia has a McMansion on Long Island filled with assault rifles, and he attracts a huge amount of violent gun nuts, so I don't really blame Dave for taking threats from those people seriously. At the same time, the guy definitely deserves to be told to go gently caress himself, so...

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
As someone that has a lot of friends who tweet about politics there really is nothing worse on the internet than being noticed by a racist account with lots of followers unless one is a fan of having their adress tweeted out and their family threatened to death by a couple hundred people a day so I totally get why he took his account down

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I made fun of this vaping MRA dude on Twitter once and then found out he runs some big MRA website and I got like 500 @s in two days. I don't blame Dave for not wanting to deal with it but yeah it's sort of part and parcel, if you're gonna make fun of idiots with big fanbases it's not surprising if they come after you

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

please tell me it was the idiot with the skull in the background of every idiotic video

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

no it was the guy who runs(? or does their social media or something?) ncfm.org which is a pretty hilarious looking site tbh

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
He's back making GBS threads on Dan Blizerian now. Status quo restored.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Probably late to the party, but what's this with a planned Patton Oswald collab falling apart? I haven't listened to the recordings they already did, so can't say if the chemistry was bad to begin with.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

He just had schedule issues I think. One of my favorite eps is the cereal one and that has Patton Oswalt.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Cereal Men has one of my favorite "Gary pieces together what the story's really about" moments.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Patton Oswalt is about to star in the new MST3K, so I would guess he's got less free time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, it's mostly disappointing because of how great Patton works with them.

Illinois Smith posted:

Cereal Men has one of my favorite "Gary pieces together what the story's really about" moments.

It's also a great example of thinking you know the whole story. Everybody, I think, knew that graham crackers were designed to suppress sexual urges, but then they just keep plumbing the rabbit hole.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Trabandiumium posted:

He just had schedule issues I think. One of my favorite eps is the cereal one and that has Patton Oswalt.

Man the volume is all over the place on this one. There's mumbling and screaming, manipulating the volume slider became a mini game. Wish they'd use a compressor before uploading volatile live stuff like that.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
You're not wrong, and I wonder how many people DA blocked for mentioning that when the episode came out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They should do a Dollop about Toni Ingram :lol:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
After listening to the new-ish ep about the Broderick Terry Duel, I really don't get Dave. Most standup comics watch a shitload of TV and movies, and being in Hollywood you would think that at some point in his goddamn life Dave would have seen or heard the term "carotid artery" in regards to someone getting shot or stabbed in the neck, but somehow even with his broken spellcheck (from pasting damninteresting.com text out of Safari and into Pages on his iPad) hint of "c____ artery" he can't quite figure out the word.

I would loooooove to see a weekly video podcast where Dave struggles with a crossword puzzle while Patton Oswalt just verbally shits all over him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Speaking as a clueless foreigner who's only familiar with Philly through The Best Show, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, their lovely NBA team and this podcast: What the gently caress is wrong with this city?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Illinois Smith posted:

Speaking as a clueless foreigner who's only familiar with Philly through The Best Show, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, their lovely NBA team and this podcast: What the gently caress is wrong with this city?

It's really not that bad a city anymore. It carries a reputation thanks to a mostly volatile and disgusting 20th century, but now the majority of poo poo Philly takes is based on stuff from the past. Nobody's going to mistake it for paradise anytime soon, but basing your interpretation of modern-day Philly on things like MOVE and Rizzo isn't particularly fair.

Still has a chip on its shoulder, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Illinois Smith posted:

You know that shithead friend you have that tells you when you first meet him "Yeah, I'm an rear end in a top hat" and then uses that as justification to be the worst human being ever? "I told you I was an rear end in a top hat, brah!" he yells as he gets super drunk and picks a fight with the beefiest dude in the bar, or aggressively hits on any woman near him no matter who they are or whatever the context. The one who always seems to get you on the verge of getting loving arrested whenever you hang out with him.

Yeah, Philadelphia is that guy, but a whole fuckin city. In fact that shithead friend was probably Philly born and raised

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Toaster Beef posted:

It's really not that bad a city anymore. It carries a reputation thanks to a mostly volatile and disgusting 20th century, but now the majority of poo poo Philly takes is based on stuff from the past. Nobody's going to mistake it for paradise anytime soon, but basing your interpretation of modern-day Philly on things like MOVE and Rizzo isn't particularly fair.

Still has a chip on its shoulder, though.

The citizens of Philly have not stopped expressing comical levels of malice.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/us/hitchbot-robot-beheaded-philadelphia-feat/

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That was a stupid loving 'robot' and it got what it had coming.

~go eagles~

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Holy poo poo they have a statue of this guy, what the gently caress, he's a hero to so many people still. There are still like 70% supportive comments in the articles about him
gently caress Phillie, dude was a crook and a thug

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

episodes like the Rizzo one are my favorites because the stories are just amazing and I know few of them since I don't live in the US

That audio clip they played at the end was tremendous

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Berzerker posted:

episodes like the Rizzo one are my favorites because the stories are just amazing and I know few of them since I don't live in the US

That audio clip they played at the end was tremendous

I was absolutely LOSING it during the audio clip. He was exactly as they had described him the hour previous. It was a perfect capstone to the story.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/0HWHhev-aag

For posterity, here is that clip as linked in the dollop Facebook page. Your can see in his face how these are really his favorite insults. I bet anyone who ever disagrees with Rizzo is a creep. loving law and order types from this time period were the face of American fascism.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I thought "crumb-bum" was an insult The Simpsons made up because it sounds funny.

I have so much more to learn about the world.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I don't know why, but of all the podcasts I recommend out, this one catches on with friendly randos the most. One of my favourites, and The Rube is one of the best podcast episodes I've ever heard.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I listened to the first ever* Dollop yesterday, and it's about Cliven Bundy, father of the guy who's leading the Oregon occupation. Cliven had a similar confrontation over farmland in Nevada two years ago. Interesting stuff, some crazy poo poo most americans are probably familiar with already, like the Oath Keepers.

e: Dave talks about three episodes he did by himself, but they are not part of the RSS feed.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 21, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

I listened to the first ever* Dollop yesterday, and it's about Cliven Bundy, father of the guy who's leading the Oregon occupation. Cliven had a similar confrontation over farmland in Nevada two years ago. Interesting stuff, some crazy poo poo most americans are probably familiar with already, like the Oath Keepers.

e: Dave talks about three episodes he did by himself, but they are not part of the RSS feed.

He decided they didn't fit what the dollop has become, and deleted them. Listen to the episodes on The Rube, the 50 cent beer night, and maybe the tickling episodes or the dolphin episode.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Best deleted dollop was Ted Nugent. I knew he wad a poo poo going in but goddamn.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Best deleted dollop was Ted Nugent. I knew he wad a poo poo going in but goddamn.

I'd love to hear that, are they floating around anywhere?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Lots of Jose in this latest episode, which I appreciate.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Just checked this out after a recommendation from Jon Bois. Dave is such a fantastic storyteller, and he has a great comedic rapport with Gary. I've been going through anything related to baseball and Philadelphia so far, think I'll start branching out a bit more.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I really enjoyed the most recent episode, which was about the infamous 1904 Olympic Games. I remember reading about them when I was a kid and getting blown away by how insane they were, and somehow they were even worse than I remembed them being.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

They tweeted that they were writing a Dollop and got approached by the subject who said they were a fan.

Very curious about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I really enjoyed the most recent episode, which was about the infamous 1904 Olympic Games. I remember reading about them when I was a kid and getting blown away by how insane they were, and somehow they were even worse than I remembed them being.

That guest was awful though