Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've mentioned this in a few threads before, but I might as well mention it again here:

MAJESTIC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_%28video_game%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977-j94VzDI

From 2001, it is partially described as "an ARG, the game was played by phone, email, AOL Instant Messenger, BlackBerry messages, fax, and by visiting special websites"

I remember articles about the game talking about how the plan seemed insanely cool, a game that followed you into the real world. But a combination of subscription fees and 9/11 probably helped end it very early before it the entire sequence was completed.

Today, however, this game could likely be done much more easily as the access to smartphones and wifi and Twitter probably gives it a much larger audience that is more comfortable with being saturated with digital content from all sources.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

oh shiiiiiit yes!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

I think all I've got is the steam version. Wonder if I would have to use a special launcher to get it to work right?

I guess it came with the original .exes, but you can download various replacement engines that will use the same data files but have newer features, e.g. support higher resolutions. For example you might want the game to look like this. I haven't tried downloading whatever that is myself yet, I've played with a different engine, Hammer of Thyrion, and only found out that you can get high-res textures yesterday so I guess I'll check out which engine looks the best.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TotalLossBrain posted:

I was too lazy to and impatient to have boot disks. I just played only one game at a time for months and edited the startup (autoexec.bat and config.sys) accordingly.

Windows could do it automatically for you! you could specify an autoexec.bat and a config.sys in DOS program information (.pif) files. you open the pif, Windows shuts down and reboots to DOS with the specified configuration. next reboot, you're back to Windows. you could also have multiple configurations in the same config.sys IIRC and you'd choose one at boot from a menu

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have never made specific boot disks for games, I was just pressing F8 at boot and carefully chose parts of autoexec.bat and config.sys which were needed.

I remember this needing some tweaking. Was it EMM386 that had to be loaded and not hymem.sys or vice versa? idk.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

hackbunny posted:

Windows could do it automatically for you! you could specify an autoexec.bat and a config.sys in DOS program information (.pif) files. you open the pif, Windows shuts down and reboots to DOS with the specified configuration. next reboot, you're back to Windows.

Check your privilege, that wasn't a feature until Windows 95 (at least I'm pretty sure).

I never played that but it seemed very popular, i.e. there was way more stuff on BBSes about it than the Microprose flight simulators I played.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
has anyone posted leisure suit larry yet? i was too young to buy those games when they were popular (that might be a stretch of the word) but i remember somehow I acquired a demo to one but it was just adult humor that i didnt really get when i was really angling for some sweet sweet 32 bit nudity. i think it must have come on a PC Gamer demo disc.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
12 year old me spent so much time on that game. I loved the questions to "prove" you were over 18 at the beginning.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

stealie72 posted:

12 year old me spent so much time on that game. I loved the questions to "prove" you were over 18 at the beginning.

Joke about the questions is that I bet there are many people who're "old enough" now who'd fail at answering them.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i looked it up and here are some of the questions from the first one:

quote:

"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" was recorded by
c
Tiny Tim

"Where's the..."
c
beef?!

A nehru jacket is
b
out of date

Bourbon Street is in
d
New Orleans, Louisiana

Calvin Klein is
c
a clothing designer

Captain Kangaroo's sidekick was
d
Mr. Greenjeans

Charlie McArthy and
d
Edgar Bergen

Does a pair of queens beat 3 deuces?
a
Yes, in Blackjack

geez

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What happened if you got them wrong? Kick you out and make you retry?

I remember getting pirated floppies for a Tom Clancy submarine game - Red October? It made you identify the sub on the screen by looking it up in the manual. I didn't have the manual. :(

Edit: Red Storm Rising!

Literally Lewis Hamilton has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jan 20, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOL, some intense flashbacks there. I eventually learned all the answers.

The joke is on me, though, that first game had no nudity and very little sex, which is pretty much all I was interested in at 11. drat, society was a much more repressive place back then.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

yo did any of you guys have this thing? allows you to play gameboy games on your SNES. p cool

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kmlkmljkl posted:

yo did any of you guys have this thing? allows you to play gameboy games on your SNES. p cool
It was pretty drat cool. Technology wise it's kinda funny - the SNES isn't powerful enough to emulate the Game Boy... so they just stuffed a Game Boy's innards into the cartridge!

The best Super Game Boy-enhanced game was Space Invaders, because it squeezed a full SNES game onto the tiny little Game Boy cartridge, letting you play in full-screen and full-colour.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kmlkmljkl posted:

I bought one a few years ago. Now what's fun is plugging your Gameboy into a big loving stereo and blasting mono audio out of it. My parents didn't like how my Gameboy Pocket ate batteries so they bought me an AC adapter and really took the portable fun out of the equation.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

Joke about the questions is that I bet there are many people who're "old enough" now who'd fail at answering them.

Al Lowe has a list of questions and answers on his website: http://www.allowe.com/games/larry/tips-manuals/lsl1-age-quiz.html

Al Lowe posted:

The problem with these questions now is: they're only good at identifying someone over age 41 now!!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The Kins posted:

It was pretty drat cool. Technology wise it's kinda funny - the SNES isn't powerful enough to emulate the Game Boy... so they just stuffed a Game Boy's innards into the cartridge!

What's all that about? Does the hardware for each work in different enough ways that you can't just run a GB game on a SNES?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I've seen mention of CD's shattering in the drive mentioned in this thread, and I can confirm this did happen. I had a CD of Final Fantasy Tactics that had a very tiny hairline crack on the center hole. I was trying to make a back up of it and it exploded in the drive. It wasn't too much of a mess and didn't damage anything but the disc, but it made a horrible noise

'Modding' the PS1 to play, uhh, "back up" discs was ridiculously simple. $10 for the decice you plugged into the rear port and a blank cd-r and you could have any game you wanted

e; there is a DOS game I can't remember much about. It fit on a single 3.5" floppy and you were an adventurer who started out on a road and walked down it into a cave and from there killed things and collected weapons and junk. It had text for the intro and any dialog, but was othewise 8-bit animated. It's not much to go on, but any idea?

Dr.Caligari has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Jan 20, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
So many interesting games and movies came out in the year of 1987, when I was born :unsmith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

What's all that about? Does the hardware for each work in different enough ways that you can't just run a GB game on a SNES?
Basically, yeah. The Game Boy and SNES use entirely different processor families and architectures, and software emulation requires a lot of horsepower to do right. It's not like the Wii U, which is still technically a Gamecube on illegal horse steroids.

Dr.Caligari posted:

'Modding' the PS1 to play, uhh, "back up" discs was ridiculously simple. $10 for the decice you plugged into the rear port and a blank cd-r and you could have any game you wanted
There was a backyard industry for mod chipping PS1s (for, uh, import games of course...) over here in Australia. Sony took one guy to court to try and stop the practice, but they lost hardcore so the practice continued onwards...

I never saw any plug-in solutions, though. It was all internal mods that required dropping your console off at some old dude's house in the suburbs for 15 minutes or so.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That was an early way to do it. Once you bought the plug-in (almost every videogame store had them) you had to do this number: https://youtu.be/UTx9l6XFBlU

The hardest part was swapping the discs back and forth at just the right time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

That was an early way to do it. Once you bought the plug-in (almost every videogame store had them) you had to do this number: https://youtu.be/UTx9l6XFBlU

The hardest part was swapping the discs back and forth at just the right time.
Jesus Christ that seems complicated/bad for the PSX. The Action Replay method is so much easier.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Snuffman posted:

Man...Wing Commander 3 was such a "thing" back in the day. My Dad, in an unexpected moment of forward thinking, got us a :siren:SINGLE SPEED:siren: CD rom before CD-ROMs were a "thing". It was cool for showing off "7th Guest" to my friends...but then CD-ROM speeds went up.

Remember when CD-ROM speed was briefly the defining factor in how well a game ran? I struggled through Wing Commander 3 with studdering cinematics, jealous of my late adoption friends with their fancy 4x or 6x CD-ROMs.

Yes, for a short time CD drive speed was a limiting factor in those flv/avi heavy games of the mid-late 90's. WC3, WC4, Privateer 2 all had loads of live-action video.
It was supposed to be the dawn of full-blown production video games and Chris Roberts was going to be the pioneer taking us there.
General consensus was that the story was poo poo, the acting was so-so, and the game itself suffered a bit from the attention/money directed away from gameplay to pay for video and actors. I mean poo poo...they paid for Malcom McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, Tom Wilson, Mark Hamill, and jump-to-conclusions guy from Office Space.

It was really natural progression for Chris Roberts to end up with Star Citizen, eh?

trikker
Sep 2, 2013

by Lowtax
First web server running on a fukin NeXT

trikker has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jan 20, 2016

fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"
Anyone remember the game Madame Fifi's Whorehouse? I was way too young to be allowed to play it, but I remember all of the adults gathering around the computer in the 80's and laughing their asses off. It was a text based game similar to the Zorks that us kids were allowed to play. I guess it was a pretty shallow game, as here is the complete walkthrough. 1980s SPOILER ALERT:

http://solutionarchive.com/file/id,8936/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Good dammit Gunter

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes, for a short time CD drive speed was a limiting factor in those flv/avi heavy games of the mid-late 90's. WC3, WC4, Privateer 2 all had loads of live-action video.
It was supposed to be the dawn of full-blown production video games and Chris Roberts was going to be the pioneer taking us there.
General consensus was that the story was poo poo, the acting was so-so, and the game itself suffered a bit from the attention/money directed away from gameplay to pay for video and actors. I mean poo poo...they paid for Malcom McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, Tom Wilson, Mark Hamill, and jump-to-conclusions guy from Office Space.

It was really natural progression for Chris Roberts to end up with Star Citizen, eh?

I remember how trippy and weird Privateer 2 was. Also John Hurt. For a time it almost looked like that's it, that's what videogames are going to be like, weird movie/game like things. Thank god it was just a fad because video game designers got mad with money and storage capacity. I remember upgrading from 4 to 8 MB of RAM of my then-obsolete 486 to meet the minimum requirements to run WC3. Could only play at low-res because that was all the CPU could pull off. Loading missions would take minutes. Still, when it ran it ran and I at least found it quite enjoyable, yes, even the videos. One of the few games I bothered finishing. (I do that very rarely)

For people confused why the CD-drive speed would play such a big role: Affordable run-of-the-mill harddrives around that time were at 300 to 500 to 800 MB capacity (depending on which exact year we were talking) so at best could barely fit one CD with no room to spare, so all the data had to come directly from CD. Video compression also wasn't as advanced as it is now and usually came with a big price ether in terms of CPU-Load or Quality or size of the video, usually all three. Video cards also still were mostly dumb frame buffers which would have no acceleration support for such things, that happened much later.

Police Automaton has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Jan 20, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pliers was my bro dude

I still giggle about that scene where he's just extracted that pizza-sized contact bomb thing from the fighter that picked it up, and he's trying to figure out how it works, so he just slams it down on the flight deck and all the pilots scatter and dive for cover

He's like "heh" :shrug: and picks it back up

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
What I absolutely hated was Rebel Assault. People were falling over each other to get CD-Drives just to play that game, then it was just a dumb shooting gallery with very, very cheap acting in-between. But hey it was Star Wars and the franchise hasn't been ruined at that point.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Police Automaton posted:

What I absolutely hated was Rebel Assault. People were falling over each other to get CD-Drives just to play that game, then it was just a dumb shooting gallery with very, very cheap acting in-between. But hey it was Star Wars and the franchise hasn't been ruined at that point.

True, Rebel Assault was a rail shooter. But man did it look good for the time. I enjoyed it a lot but then did not even bother with Rebel Assault 2.
Those games are definitely weird icons of the 90's. Special time and place, new frontiers in storage space and video tech.

The first CD drive I had was a single-speed. Just about the entire drive mechanism would slide out when you opened it. Pop open the horizontal cover, put in your CD, close the cover, push everything back in.
Still better than caddies I told myself. I think caddy drives were mostly SCSI, which was too rich for me.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
an even better FMV type game was Prince Interactive

http://www.mobygames.com/game/prince-interactive

it was really bizarre to young me

I think it was bizarre to people of any age maybe

CHICKEN SHOES has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I loved Rebel Assault 2. The mission where you fly a Tie fighter through beggar's canyon was dope as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh7dXNRJmyI

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Police Automaton posted:

That game was incredibly frustrating, mainly because the controls sucked. In some scenes they were so unresponsive that no matter how far you moved the joystick you barely moved and crashed into walls, and in others they were so hyper sensitive that you were constantly out of control.

Back then bad Star Wars games were the exception rather than the norm though.

7th Guest was another CD-ROM seller that everyone ran out to get because it looked fancy, but it was a pretty garbage game underneath. If your system was too fast the player-vs-AI microscope puzzle was basically impossible to win because the AI would always make a perfect move.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Did anybody here get into Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight multiplayer? The multiplayer code had this utterly bonkers idea to store all sorts of stuff client-side, so people basically had free reign to hack stuff to their hearts content.

For example, there was a pit level where you fought on tall, narrow platforms between bases. If you fell off these platforms you'd fall into a very very deep pit and go back to the respawn screen. And in most games that was it, you just made sure not to fall down there.

Most games aren't as friendly towards editing in multiplayer as good old Jedi Knight. You see, JKs falling death only happened if you triggered the falling death animation. So if all you had to do was edit a few files on your computer with a text editor... You see where I'm going with this right?

Exactly, you edit the files so that your repeater rifle shoots out metal platforms at high rate of speed, and build your way down there!

We also made lightsabers that would glitch people through the map in ways that hard-lock your computer, but usually it was just turning people into those little mouse-bots and building them mazes they had to solve. And this was just done in files stores in frigging plain folders and opened with notepad.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I miss the golden age of multimedia cdrom games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZk40mKbqO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDIjIwATh5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQTfMDlLf8

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

an even better FMV type game was Prince Interactive

http://www.mobygames.com/game/prince-interactive

it was really bizarre to young me

I think it was bizarre to people of any age maybe

Along these lines, too: Peter Gabriel also had a computer program thing, too, in the mid-90s. I think it was called Real World. Todd Rundgren had Todd Rundgren Interactive, which I think was supposed to allow you to have remixes of songs. Billy Idol released a floppy disk (I think) with early copies of one of his 90s CDs called Cyberpunk that had some digital content on it. The Residents released some computer game called Freak Show (I think) and I believe Aerosmith had a very, very early version of something like Rocksmith on computer. Finally, I think Information Society had a release that had a a small computer program in the at the end of the tape that you could play on older tape-drive models of certain computers. There was some other early 80s group that did something similar that I can't remember.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

muel
Jan 19, 2001

Steak knife - say goodbye to your brain
Quarantine (1994) was a post-apocalyptic Doom clone where you drive a taxi around.

The interesting thing to me though was that despite the game being developed by Canadians, all the bands on the soundtrack were Australian, and the FMV introduction stars Simon Day who Aussies might know better as the lead singer of the band Ratcat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lDlDLvC4TU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

JediTalentAgent posted:

Finally, I think Information Society had a release that had a a small computer program in the at the end of the tape that you could play on older tape-drive models of certain computers. There was some other early 80s group that did something similar that I can't remember.

Yeah, Information Society did that on a viny record. They hid a text file in one of the songs on Peace and Love, Inc. "The track "300bps N, 8, 1 (Terminal Mode Or Ascii Download)" is actually a text file encoded as modem tones. When decoded, the content is a tale by Kurt Harland about a bizarre but purportedly true event that took place when the band was playing in the city of Maringá, Brazil."

You can hear the "song" here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZT-1y4eeY

You can use TrueTTY or some similar program to break it out yourself, too. Just set it up for a 300 baud modem with ASCII decode, should come out pretty easy.

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Inscape were the undisputed kings of weird CD-ROM multimedia games/things. They made The Residents game, a Devo one, and even one written by conspiracy theory nut (Drowned God).

7th Level tried to have some of this multimedia pie earlier, and created the more cartoony games, like Arcade America or Battle Beasts. Those were pretty impressive on Win 3.11 machines, but played quite awful.