Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Man, I've gotta read more comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Clamknuckle posted:

Two questions. 1. Who is the Thing with a woman's head? 2. Why does the old uniform wearing Daredevil have Wolverines mask on?

3. Why is Hawkeye just standing there with his arms crossed?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody ever said you had to be happy about letting the ones you love make their own mistakes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dungeon Meshi v1 #1

So you're an adventuring party, you're low on supplies and money and need to go rescue a party member! What're you going to do?
(manga right to left reading order warning)

Eat the monsters. :unsmigghh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, while we're deconstructing the Deadpool image, who's the presumably real guy in the Marvel bullpen with the beard and hat, and why are he and Domino exchanging stinkeyes?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Dungeon Meshi v1 #1

So you're an adventuring party, you're low on supplies and money and need to go rescue a party member! What're you going to do?
(manga right to left reading order warning)

Goddamn, dude, we have a manga/anime subforum. Don't put that poo poo where humans have to look at it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sure, as soon as you can explain in clear, concise words the difference between manga and comics without using art style.

:can:

(no one cares that you don't like it. Ignore it and move on)

In fact, to contribute:

Akumetsu, Volume... 7, I think.
Context that I can remember: The teacher is an rear end in a top hat. Dude helps him up for the express purpose of dropkicking him in the face.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 20, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sure, as soon as you can explain in clear, concise words the difference between manga and comics without using art style.

For one thing, comics understand that the English language is read from left to right. :troll:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Choco1980 posted:

So, while we're deconstructing the Deadpool image, who's the presumably real guy in the Marvel bullpen with the beard and hat, and why are he and Domino exchanging stinkeyes?
That's Gerry Duggan, the writer of the issue. I don't think it's intended that he's specifically interacting with Domino, but the issue does feature a lot of backstories with Copycat in them who spent a whole X-Force arc impersonating Domino, so maybe he's just double-checking?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

For one thing, comics understand that the English language is read from left to right. :troll:

Oh gently caress you're going to cause another flipping argument.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ghostlight posted:

That's Gerry Duggan, the writer of the issue. I don't think it's intended that he's specifically interacting with Domino, but the issue does feature a lot of backstories with Copycat in them who spent a whole X-Force arc impersonating Domino, so maybe he's just double-checking?

I assume then it's intentional. They do appear to unhappily be looking directly at each other.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

Goddamn, dude, we have a manga/anime subforum. Don't put that poo poo where humans have to look at it.

It was actually pretty funny so I appreciate it being posted in this, the funny panels thread in a forum designated for comics.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BACKWARDS!

FIX!

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

SynthOrange posted:

Bring your tinning kit and save the floating eyes for when you need them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There really is no difference. It's dominated by creepy nerds, who worship sexual deviants who literally are incapable of keeping their weird fetishes out of their work as gods of their craft, and everyone who has figurines of either should still be embarrassed.

Except manga murders teen characters less, I guess. Comics hate their teens.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

We have a p. solid protocol, I thought: manga are comics, and comics are fine. Anime is sick filth, unless it's on the Safe List (Graveyard of the Fireflies, anything that aired in the "right before you left for school" time slot, anything that had a wildly popular toyline associated with it in the west before 9/11, and we can argue about Astro Boy).

e: vv yep

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 20, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's only one rule here:

X-O posted:

Hey, if you're not posting a funny panel or reacting to a funny panel you're posting in this thread incorrectly. Keep the derails out.

With that said

(Uncanny X-Men #513)

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 20, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saoshyant posted:

With that said

(Uncanny X-Men #513)

So "&#@%" is "gently caress", and "$#" could be "ing". "$%#@" looks like it would be "poo poo". How consistent was the cuss-masking throughout the rest of the issue?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

prefect posted:

How consistent was the cuss-masking throughout the rest of the issue?

&#@%$# EXTREME!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Clamknuckle posted:

1. Who is the Thing with a woman's head?

So the Fantastic Four had to do some crazy space/time bullshit that should only have taken a few minutes, but in case that went wrong they each picked some replacements to watch the kids at the Future Foundation and keep an eye on things while they were gone. Reed picked Scott Lang [Because he'd just come back from the dead and lost his daughter and they thought it'd be good for him], Sue picked Medusa, Ben picked She-Hulk, and Johnny.....completely forgot he was supposed to get someone, and picked the random pop starlet he was dating at the time. So they gave her a Thing suit that was lying around the compound so she wouldn't horrifically die. On the plus side she got to be part of a super team that kicked the living poo poo out of Doctor Doom, and that is always fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

That backup story was creepy and bad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm assuming you mean the one where she invents a persona to get Deadpool to fall in love with her then leaves to teach him some vague kind of lesson, but there's like three or more others with her in them with varying degrees of creep and bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I meant the one where she has repeated one night stands with him in fake personalities after he thought she died, and it's supposed to be her watching over him and read as sweet, but it's, you know, rape.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Lurdiak posted:

I meant the one where she has repeated one night stands with him in fake personalities after he thought she died, and it's supposed to be her watching over him and read as sweet, but it's, you know, rape.

I thought that was Typhoid Mary. Did Domino do that, too? Christ it's like Deadpool is a female DC character now.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

John Dyne posted:

I thought that was Typhoid Mary. Did Domino do that, too? Christ it's like Deadpool is a female DC character now.

So what you're saying is that Domino got...lucky? :buddy:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

John Dyne posted:

Not Domino, Copycat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

John Dyne posted:

As a bonus, the Wedding Issue has a story in which he has his arm torn off.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cangelosi posted:

So what you're saying is that Domino got...lucky? :buddy:

Does Red She Hulk count?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone else think it's weird that Betty's hair gets two-tone when she Hulks out? Is it a Ross family thing? Same reason her dad's 'tache disappears?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Say Nothing posted:

Does Red She Hulk count?

:staredog: that's not particularly funny.

I assume She Rulk's glowing eyes means she's possessed or something but still

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, it was just a really bad backup in the Red Hulk comic that seemed like an excuse to have Domino get naked and nothing else.

I mean I guess if you get a chance to make a talented artist draw your comic book waifu naked and get paid for it, you take it?

At least it featured the return of my favorite Marvel villain, A Truck, with a new costume to boot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

:staredog: that's not particularly funny.

I assume She Rulk's glowing eyes means she's possessed or something but still

Nah. Betty and Bruce got the short end of the gamma stick. She-Rulk is just as much an alternate personality as regular Hulk's normally seen. Just instead of animal rage, it's more resentment.

Thunderbolt and Jen are the ones that stay mostly themselves, just a little louder when Hulked out.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
My favorite bit of characterization from the classic G.I. Joe comics was that Roadblock, the heavy machine gunner, was an aspiring gourmet chef who joined the Army to earn tuition to prestigious culinary schools in France.

So when he's not doing this...

He can be found doing this...

Or this...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If they ever make GI Joe 3, I hope they fold that back in. I want to see the Rock chewing out a snooty waiter.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
They already did this in the opening scene of The Rundown. And if that movie had been more like its opening scene it would have actually been good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Anyone else think it's weird that Betty's hair gets two-tone when she Hulks out? Is it a Ross family thing? Same reason her dad's 'tache disappears?

Well originally Red Hulk was going to be Betty but somebody was able to convince Loeb that was stupid and she got her own slightly less stupid Hulk form.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What. I read a bit and everyone was treating her like Betty. Who is she then?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He said Red Hulk, not Red She Hulk.

The Hulk mythos is loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not opposed to General Ross turning into a Hulk, but him turning into a Hulk without the mustache is loving unforgivable.