Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

"Distinct dialects of Italian" according to linguists.

Note that this doesn't take into account local variations, there are some areas in the map that have very different dialects at their opposite ends. Grey areas are grey because according to linguists the "dialects" over there are actually different languages from Italian! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mikl posted:

Note that this doesn't take into account local variations, there are some areas in the map that have very different dialects at their opposite ends. Grey areas are grey because according to linguists the "dialects" over there are actually different languages from Italian! :eng101:
Time for Austria to get back some Mediterranean property. Switzerland to become a bit more diverse.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mikl posted:

Linguistics doesn't make any consistent distinction between languages and dialects, so this map is, on some level, fundamentally absurd.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian are dialects of Latin.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Corsican dialects are accurate, though I had never heard of an Area di tranzizione dialect before, but my family comes from the south.

If you want to be super precise, the map is missing the Carghjesi dialect, a Greek-Corsican dialect spoken by the town's Greek population (though I fear it may be extinct).

Carghjese was a Greek colony established under Genoan rule, they had a troubled time under French rule.

Edit: yep apparently the last Carghjesi speaker died in 1976 according to wikipedia italia. I visited the place, it's a nice little town with Greek style houses, an Orthodox church...

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mikl posted:

At least some of the grey bits in Apulia and Calabria are Griko, which essentially is what remains of Greek language speakers in south Italy. I should visit there some day.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

Linguistics doesn't make any consistent distinction between languages and dialects, so this map is, on some level, fundamentally absurd.
The grey areas have their own armies and navies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The grey areas have their own armies and navies.

Sardinia and Friuli don't have their own armies. :colbert:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
What are all of the grey bits anyway? Greek, Albanian, Sardinian, Friulian, German...?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kurtofan posted:

The Corsican dialects are accurate, though I had never heard of an Area di tranzizione dialect before, but my family comes from the south.

If you want to be super precise, the map is missing the Carghjesi dialect, a Greek-Corsican dialect spoken by the town's Greek population (though I fear it may be extinct).

Carghjese was a Greek colony established under Genoan rule, they had a troubled time under French rule.

Edit: yep apparently the last Carghjesi speaker died in 1976 according to wikipedia italia. I visited the place, it's a nice little town with Greek style houses, an Orthodox church...

"Area di transizione" is actually "transition area" in Italian :ssh:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ras Het posted:

What are all of the grey bits anyway? Greek, Albanian, Sardinian, Friulian, German...?

Ladin in the northeast, Arpitan or Occitan in the Northwest? And probably German in Alto AdigeSüdtirol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mikl posted:

No poo poo??????????? I meant it's the first time I hear about a Corsican dialect specific to that area.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mikl posted:

thanks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Europe seems pretty backwards.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mikl posted:

How on earth did you figure that out?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Tommah posted:

would be better if eastern panhandle was also separated

I'm not sure why this map was posted, but I have a funny historical story about West Virginia dams! See Summersville Lake in the middle of the state? That Lake is man-made and was formed by the Army Corp of Engineers between 1960 and 1966 with the construction of Summersville Dam. But according to naming conventions, that wasn't supposed to be the name of the dam. Dams were typically named after the nearest community. In this case, the nearest community was the one set to be flooded: the town of Gad. Instead of going with the very funny name "Gad Dam," the Army Corp of Engineers went with the 2nd closest town of Summersville.

FYI, Gad is now at the bottom of the lake and everyone who lived there was forced off their land. Appalachia.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm not sure why this map was posted, but I have a funny historical story about West Virginia dams! See Summersville Lake in the middle of the state? That Lake is man-made and was formed by the Army Corp of Engineers between 1960 and 1966 with the construction of Summersville Dam. But according to naming conventions, that wasn't supposed to be the name of the dam. Dams were typically named after the nearest community. In this case, the nearest community was the one set to be flooded: the town of Gad. Instead of going with the very funny name "Gad Dam," the Army Corp of Engineers went with the 2nd closest town of Summersville.

FYI, Gad is now at the bottom of the lake and everyone who lived there was forced off their land. Appalachia.

Really should have ended this with "Gad drat!" 9/10 will read facts again.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

idk if these are politically loaded but have a couple US city maps

Modern San Francisco coastline compared with 1850s coastline

1892 map of Buffalo

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

majormonotone posted:

That's amazing how you can see exactly what's been added artificially, and how all of it looks artificial.

Also that explains why "Mission Bay" is called that; it was a real bay at one time, even though it isn't anymore.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

When the twin towers fell there was a huge concern that their foundations would crack open and flood west Manhattan and the subway system, since they were on porous land reclaimed from the Hudson and not the Manhattan bedrock.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

majormonotone posted:

That feels pretty minor. Boston, OTOH:

(The little peninsula labeled downtown is what the original town was)

Edit: it's sort of misleading since it doesn't show a lot of the annexed land, though, which likely moves the portion much closer to SFs

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 19, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If the book "War with the Newts" has taught me something, sea will reclaim that land one way or another soon.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
"Aw, that's cute." - The Netherlands

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tommah posted:

would be better if eastern panhandle was also separated

it kinda looks like afghanistan imho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

"Aw, that's cute." - The Netherlands

"This worked great in our heads." - Germany

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
First they complain about global warming destroying the environment and then they want to pump out the Mediterranean sea to create a dam!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

"This worked great in our heads." - Germany

I wonder if someone did the math on the number of locks you'd need to reach venice starting from the red sea...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I wonder if someone did the math on the number of locks you'd need to reach venice starting from the red sea...
If we're megaengineering, why not build one of these capable of carrying a Suezmax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_h13Fu1yo

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Gas prices in the US by county this month.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

majormonotone posted:

cushing says hi

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

majormonotone posted:

It'll be interesting to watch this change. Couple places in Michigan dropped to well under a dollar this week.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

majormonotone posted:

1892 map of Buffalo

In the 1850's San Francisco had a big problem with ships coming in and then their whole crews deserting because California was awesome, then having no one to sail the ships away. The abandoned vessels were used as housing and then landfill to expand the coast.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

majormonotone posted:

I'd like to see this map for Canada.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Count Roland posted:

I'd like to see this map for Canada.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So a bit higher than the U.S., basically.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kalstrams posted:

So a bit higher than the U.S., basically.

Everything above the middle orange on the Canada Map would be >$2.52/gal, taking in currency conversion and the like.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Of course, in West Europe it's hard to find gas for less than say $6/gal.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Dat public transit doe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They don't even levy a Road Accident Fund out of Western European gas prices, which would be the most logical thing if you wanted gas high.