Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

Yes.

I know enough to not say "Hurr durr its the easiest job in the world!!"

It doesn't qualify you to scold other people, who are writers, for being seriously unimpressed with Rothfuss's work ethic. Chill. Chiiiiill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jivjov posted:

Being "done" with a trilogy written in highschool/college is a very different concept from being done with 3 professionally written and edited, mass-market releasable novels.

And yet, Rothfuss said he was done with the trilogy in 2007 and that it would be published by 2010. So you're saying he's been lying to us about being done as well?

Wangsbig posted:

greetings, patrick. please don't finish the book.

Also this.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

You still don't know a drat thing about being a professional author.

Was the correct answer "writing is never a profession"?

I think. Maybe the Soviet Union had a code of conduct and licensing and stuff, I dunno.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I think what it comes down to is public perception.

Scott Lynch, as far as I can tell from the previously linked interview, wasn't writing about how he's playing WoW all the time on his blog.

When George RR Martin said he was going to stop talking about the book on his blog, I'm sure most people thought "sure, you must get sick of being asked". Its when his blog posts then ended up being nothing but talk of football, pizza and yet another "convention visit in a country where GoT has just be translated to the local language" and the average reader is left with an impression that they're not actually writing.

So yeah, when Rothfuss is updating "Look at all these things I'm doing instead of writing" I can see why people get upset.

I guess my thoughts are, I get that art is hard. Good art is even harder. Take your time, but don't tell me stories about all the stuff you're doing instead of writing.

This is all, of course, assuming Scott Lynch didn't write about playing WoW instead of writing his book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

And yet, Rothfuss said he was done with the trilogy in 2007 and that it would be published by 2010. So you're saying he's been lying to us about being done as well?

Also this.

I again would like to put forward that there's a bit difference between "I am done with this trilogy I wrote in school" and "I am done with a trilogy of professional-level novels"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

I again would like to put forward that there's a bit difference between "I am done with this trilogy I wrote in school" and "I am done with a trilogy of professional-level novels"

You obviously haven't read Wise Man's Fear.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You obviously haven't read Wise Man's Fear.

I've read it several times and I love it. It's not quite as tight as the first book, but it's close.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's probably having difficulty thinking up how to get 90 percent filler in the next book.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

jivjov posted:

I've read it several times and I love it. It's not quite as tight as the first book, but it's close.

"Not quite as tight"?? It's a fuckup. The original conceit was, 3 days, 3 books, 1 story, told by Kote, about Kvothe, and how he's grown from orphan, to magician/kingkiller, to lose it all and become an inn-keeper on the edges of civilization while a war he started goes on the in background and comes increasingly close. It's a good idea, and well executed in tNotW.

What I guess happened with WMF is that Rothfuss couldn't coherently plot or write the whole idea as originally conceived back while a student, and as he's often said, he's a perfectionist. Increasingly badgered by his publishers to produce his first sequel, he binds together a series of stories he'd had in mind for a while, into a meandering, semi-coherent tale, that kind-of is good enough, but doesn't actually really advance the plot far enough, and is far too long. The audio version is 42 hours, which breaks the whole 1 day, 1 book concept.

That's left him in the position of having to write incredibly tightly, and plot incredibly densely to satisfyingly finish the series in book 3, and meet the objectives laid out in book 1. That isn't his style so far. He enjoys language, and using words and describing nouns in terms of unexpected adjectives and doing unexpected verbs.

So, he's procrastinated, found other enjoyable things to do, found other ways to make money, and distracted himself from the problem in hand.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The audiobook for book 1 is over 27 hours long, so if you're going to bitch about the story being too long to be told in one day, start there.

It's fiction; it doesn't actually have to be told in a single day.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I'm not totally down with the Neil Gaiman "not your bitch" train, myself.

If someone publishes in installments, I think they've made an implicit promise to actually finish the series. If Rothfuss or Martin had said, "here's part one of an epic fantasy series; there will be no part two," I wouldn't buy it, and I don't think a lot of other people would either. Obviously if it doesn't sell or their publisher goes out of business or if they die or something, then yes, I understand. And if Martin wants to watch football and Rothfuss wants to play Fallout 4, I'm not going to freak out. But that said, I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to ask how the project is going when they've essentially put a down payment on it already.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Trammel posted:

"Not quite as tight"?? It's a fuckup. The original conceit was, 3 days, 3 books, 1 story, told by Kote, about Kvothe, and how he's grown from orphan, to magician/kingkiller, to lose it all and become an inn-keeper on the edges of civilization while a war he started goes on the in background and comes increasingly close. It's a good idea, and well executed in tNotW.

What I guess happened with WMF is that Rothfuss couldn't coherently plot or write the whole idea as originally conceived back while a student, and as he's often said, he's a perfectionist. Increasingly badgered by his publishers to produce his first sequel, he binds together a series of stories he'd had in mind for a while, into a meandering, semi-coherent tale, that kind-of is good enough, but doesn't actually really advance the plot far enough, and is far too long. The audio version is 42 hours, which breaks the whole 1 day, 1 book concept.

That's left him in the position of having to write incredibly tightly, and plot incredibly densely to satisfyingly finish the series in book 3, and meet the objectives laid out in book 1. That isn't his style so far. He enjoys language, and using words and describing nouns in terms of unexpected adjectives and doing unexpected verbs.

So, he's procrastinated, found other enjoyable things to do, found other ways to make money, and distracted himself from the problem in hand.

It would be interesting to know what changed between WMF's original draft and the additional content.

We know a little of was added in NOTW through interviews. Devi was a new addition as well as the Draccus part of the book, IIRC. You can remove the entire Devi subplot and change very little. I think Auri might have been new too but I can't remember. Also, Ambrose was originally more of a traditional villain/rival.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jivjov posted:

I again would like to put forward that Rothfuss, having published TNotW, should have known the difference by the time (2007) he told the world he was done with all three books and they would be published by 2010.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

I again would like to put forward that Rothfuss, having published TNotW, should have known the difference by the time (2007) he told the world he was done with all three books and they would be published by 2010.

Well, he obviously was mistaken, as it is currently 2016 and Doors of Stone is still in progress.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

jivjov posted:

Well, he obviously was mistaken, as it is currently 2016 and Doors of Stone is still in progress.

What's your definition of "in progress", again, and what evidence do you have for it?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

What's your definition of "in progress", again, and what evidence do you have for it?

A while back (like a week ago or so) Rothfuss tweeted something like "hello 100k". If thats how much of the third book hes done (it might be something completely unrelated for all I know) hes probably finished about a third of the book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

Is a definition really...necessary? He is in the process of writing the book.

I have no reason to disbelieve Rothfuss when he says he's still working on Doors of Stone. Keep in mind that the whole stream fallout/write book thing was for EXTRA writing time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

A while back (like a week ago or so) Rothfuss tweeted something like "hello 100k". If thats how much of the third book hes done (it might be something completely unrelated for all I know) hes probably finished about a third of the book.

Could also be the amount of checks he's cashed in 2016.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jivjov posted:

And Rothfuss, the guy you're defending like your life depends on it, doesn't either despite being a professional writer. Keep in mind that if you truly believe what you posted then Rothfuss, a guy you're vehemently defending, is a professional writer who had something they considered "done" yet the finished thing was in such bad shape it has take the better part of a decade to put in a printable shape.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wangsbig posted:

greetings, patrick. please don't finish the book.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

jivjov posted:

I have no reason to disbelieve Rothfuss when he says he's still working on Doors of Stone.

I do; a five year blown deadline. I think he has given up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

I do; a five year blown deadline. I think he has given up.

Okay. Where was this announced? Where did he say "Doors of Stone is cancelled and not coming out"?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i will defend the honor of the fair maiden *picks up paper, squints* occasional author patrick rothfuss? *throws down sword, shield*

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

jivjov posted:

Okay. Where was this announced? Where did he say "Doors of Stone is cancelled and not coming out"?

Why is it not reasonable to assume that something 5 years past an estimated deadline, and now 2 years past an adjusted deadline, is not coming out? Or at the very least, is no longer the primary focus of the author and may well be at least temporarily abandoned?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

Why is it not reasonable to assume that something 5 years past an estimated deadline, and now 2 years past an adjusted deadline, is not coming out? Or at the very least, is no longer the primary focus of the author and may well be at least temporarily abandoned?

I'm not denying that its delayed or has missed deadlines. But we have nothing to suggest that its been abandoned, temporarily or otherwise. Just recently, with the whole "Fallout 4 vs. Book Writing" thing, Rothfuss confirmed that he is still spending normal writing time working on Doors of Stone.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's assuming you believe Rothfuss (and we know you do, jivjov). After all the false promises he's made, I find most of what he says that's not directly related to his charity to be at least somewhat suspect.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the dead robert jordan released two full-length novels before the technically alive patrick rothfuss released one

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

we will all eat our words when rothfuss hands the million-page manuscript he has been obsessively working on for years to his publisher via dragline excavator

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wangsbig posted:

we will all eat our words when rothfuss hands the million-page manuscript he has been obsessively working on for years to his publisher via dragline excavator

500 million words about balancing a budget.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

jivjov posted:

I'm not denying that its delayed or has missed deadlines. But we have nothing to suggest that its been abandoned, temporarily or otherwise. Just recently, with the whole "Fallout 4 vs. Book Writing" thing, Rothfuss confirmed that he is still spending normal writing time working on Doors of Stone.

Do you play video games? If so, do you know about a game called The Last Guardian?

Just in case you don't, The Last Guardian is a game that's been "in development" since 2007, was announced in 2009, with an expected release in 2011. 2001 came and went with no release, and with no real reason. Years kept passing, and Sony basically kept insisting it was still coming out, still in development, still everything it needed to be to become a retail-released game very soon. There's a new release scheduled for some time this year, but with this dragged out of a development, most people think it's pretty reasonable to think that this 2016 projection is another smokescreen, and it's incredibly likely that we won't ever see the game released. Nobody thinks it' crazy to think this.

Ornamented Death posted:

500 million words about balancing a budget.

In what currency? I've borrowed 4 talents, and have a coin purse with about 6 shims and 3 jots in it. I need passage to Yll, and the ferryman won't accept anything but commonwealth coin. The fare to Yll is 3 copper pennies. How much will I have left after I pay the money changer and the ferryman?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

jivjov posted:

Just hypothetically, how many years would it take without Doors of Stone being released before you would admit it's not coming out? 2020? 2025? Just want to set a calendar alarm real fast.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

Just hypothetically, how many years would it take without Doors of Stone being released before you would admit it's not coming out? 2020? 2025? Just want to set a calendar alarm real fast.

I will "admit" its not coming out when Rothfuss or his publisher says so, or Rothfuss passes away and there isn't an announcement of someone else on hand to finish the book (a la Robert Jordan). There is no specific timetable.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
I think it's a shame that Rothfuss continues to lie about his progress on the book. As the writer of a series, he owes his readers a conclusion, and all the excuses in the world won't change that. He is a deceitful person, and his charity work does not absolve him of being a creepy piece of poo poo with no work ethic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

he owes his readers a conclusion

No he doesn't

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

I will "admit" its not coming out when Rothfuss or his publisher says so, or Rothfuss passes away and there isn't an announcement of someone else on hand to finish the book (a la Robert Jordan). There is no specific timetable.

Dude, she's never coming back to you. Go find a new girl.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, nothing is owed at all by any creator. It's sort of silly to think that they you owe you anything.

Rothfuss is still handling this incredibly poorly if he actually intends to release it.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
Of course content creators owe us things. Where did you get the idea that they don't?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Of course content creators owe us things. Where did you get the idea that they don't?

You get whatever they "owed" you when you check out at the store with their book. When you pay for a copy of Name of the Wind, you receive a copy of Name of the Wind. You are not owed Wise Man's Fear and Doors of Stone along with that purchase.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
There was an implicit and explicit promise of additional content. Therefore, it was part of the bargain. Don't be retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CerealCrunch posted:

Unless you've already paid him for his unreleased book, then you're not really owed anything at all. If you have somehow, then the most you're owed if he doesn't finish is a refund.

• Locked thread