Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Endbuster posted:

The hit boxes on the torsos are hilariously tiny. It's like the thing is made of arms and center torso. Guys here are running the XLs and it doesn't seem to affect their survivability. It's kinda like the QuickDraw or blackjack in that it can twist away damage really nicely and if the XL in the torso is the cause of your death, you were going to die anyway. I would totally buy them if I was around for the early adopter window.

Hmm. I might have to shell out for some XLs then. I had been looking at building my 'Hams around a Standard 310, but if they really are as XL-friendly as everyone says it would be worth it to get some more speed out of them. I guess it kind of makes sense - either you take advantage of the structure quirks by running a standard and being the tankiest tank you can be or you take advantage of the structure quirks by running an XL and still being relatively tanky but also fast.

Of course, in two weeks everyone will actually know where to shoot them, so that might change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
At tier 4 the new map is a lot of fun in a locust. There is so much cover. I spent my evening looping around the snipe-fest and shooting butts. Start with the farthest enemy back. With the acceleration and deceleration quirks I could stay behind most assaults in a 1v1 and peck away until they died.

If more than one enemy turned around, that was trouble, but it was very easy to hop in a trench and escape, then come back to repeat.

I am going to put on a narc launcher tomorrow and narc everyone.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What's the release schedule for all the pay locked stuff right now, cbill and mc/pack wise?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's the release schedule for all the pay locked stuff right now, cbill and mc/pack wise?

The Mauler came out Sept 22 and is scheduled for C-Bills Feb 2, so I would guess something in the 5 month after cash release area.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm running around with a chettah with Narc and Tag because it's funny

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How is the Mauler anyway?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

How is the Mauler anyway?

probably can pack the most mid-range firepower on the IS side. you can fit five or six ac/5s on it which is crazy

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

ZenVulgarity posted:

SWEET CHRISTMAS LARGE PULSES ON A THE 4G HAVE A 450 OPTIMAL RANGE?

Yeah I bought the module last night for the extended range. loving crazy high range. 4G has god drat like 50 percent heat efficiency and I'm running a XL340 out of the Cicada we got for free. And I have like full armor. This mech is craaaaaazy. If they don't die from your 10 consecutive triple LPL alphas then you must suck cause this thing just shits damage. Not to mention the mounts are tight so your CTing dudes left and right.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Here's a list of dumb terminology that new players might hear while in mumble:

Goon Stuff::
Old Birds - Goons from the Beta golden days. I personally consider any goon who played before the 'Phoenix Pack' as an Old Bird. I started playing right as the phoenix pack released, and I do not consider myself as an Old Bird.
New Birds - New goon MWO players who are evidently masochists or suffer from mental illness.
Squawk - Squawking in game is a practice that you will see some goons partake. More often enough, you will see non goons squawking too (due to cultural victory). Feel free to squawk whenever you want, as it's your right as a Tetatae Warrior.
The PGI Timeline - A timeline consisting of PGI's mistakes created by fellow goon, Chronojam. Forged by pure madness with a dash of autism.

Robot Stuff::
Ghost Dad - AS7-D-DC (with ECM)
Dad¹ - Atlases in general.
Dad Bear/Bear Dad - Kodiaks
Splatlas - AS7-S (with x4 SRM6)
Rhino - Classic close range Stalker (STK-3F) builds sporting SRMs and lasers. Generally seen as SRM6s with medium lasers.
Splatapult - Catapult with SRMs
Streak Crow - Stormcrow boating 5x C-SSRM6s
Streak Dog - Mad Dog boating 6x C-SSRM6s
Shame Dog - MDD-PRIME(I). A special variant Mad Dog given to those shameful few who spent too much money on this game. Granted by purchasing the Clan Masakari package + Clan Wave II.
Trash Bucket - Trebuchets. In the dark days of pre-quirks, this robot earned it's name. You'll still occasionally hear old birds use this term.
Metal Baby - Commandos.
Urby/Trashcan¹ - Urbanmechs.
Cheaters¹ - Arctic Cheetahs.
Direstar - Gimmick dire wolf build with ~*11x*~ C-ER-PPCs that is meant to be alpha fired precisely two times, resulting in an overheat death. No robot in the game can withstand a direct CT hit. Coined after the Deathstar. It's bad.

Game Stuff::
Wubs - Refers to pulse lasers
Lurms - Refers to long range missiles, ya dingus
Laser Vomit - Laser builds with high alpha damage. Not the same as laser sniping.
Gauss Vomit - Similar to the above, but substituting some lasers for a gauss. Used effectively by manually syncing the gauss charge mechanic when firing lasers.
Poptart - A poptart basically refers to any mech using jumpjets and effectively shooting their weapon load at the same time. Normally it's PPCs, but that's not always the case.
The Butthole - The center volcano area of the terrible Terra Therma map
Popcicle¹ - When a robot that has lost all of its guns and is therefore not worth paying attention to anymore
Zombie¹ - A mech with center torso weapons capable of continued fighting after all arms and side torsos have been stripped. STD engines only, obviously. Some Atlases and Centurions make good examples of zombie mechs.
Helios¹ - A controversial subscription based hacking utility with wallhacks, aimbot, and more. Used by sperglords who care about their kdr.
Team Helios¹² - Essentially any group of players we suspect might be hacking. Even if they aren't actually hacking. Because we're suspicious grumpy old farts.
Yell Boss¹ - Someone who is calling targets and offering sick-nasty strats. Although with goons it's more or less a hodgepodge of everybody collectively sharing beneficial information of what's on the field. Sometimes.
Markemp/Heffay¹ - Some PGI fanboy that no one cares about.
NGNG¹ - No Guts No Galaxy. Originally a fan site and podcast about Battletech stuff that is now basically a promotional arm for PGI. Founded by Sean Lang who uses Twitch™ alot.
Lurmageddon¹ - Could refer to one of several incidences of PGI buggering up LRMs with hilarious consequences. See link.
Shield Side/Dead Side¹ - Loading your weapons asymmetrically in a mech so you can torso twist the opposite side into incoming fire protecting your weapons allowing you to pew pew longer.

Disclaimer: Some of these terms are exclusive goon terms that only goons use and understand. Use outside of goon mumble at the risk of sounding like a complete loving idiot.
I'm sure I'm missing alot of jargon, feel free to add or correct

EDIT: added little footnotes with links to the original source of contributor. I might be terrible and either abridge or add my own opinions.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 24, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Urby or Trashcan is a good term for the Urbanmech

Cheaters - Cheetahs

Helios- A hack in the game a lot of the big dumb competitives use. Who uses aimhacks int his dumb game

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Also, a popsicle is a robot that has lost all of its guns and is therefore not worth paying attention to anymore unless you want to pad your stats and steal the kill.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

He can still lock you and get some lurms on your head

Or use his big dumb body to block shots

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

Helios- A hack in the game a lot of the big dumb competitives use. Who uses aimhacks int his dumb game

Team Helios - [228], ModPud's old crew. Greeting large groups of tryhards with 'Oh, hey, we're up against Team Helios today!' is a quick and easy way to make them incredibly pissed. The angrier they get, the more likely they're actually running Helios.

Dads - Atlases in general. If someone says "Follow Dad!" that means a push is happening. Find the nearest Atlas and follow it closely even if it's walking into danger. Just sticking close to dad will help dad protect you while you wreck poo poo, and help protect dad since you'll draw a little fire away from it. Always help dad.

Yellboss - Someone who's calling targets. If they call for you to shoot something, try to shoot it. Use good judgement though, if someone's got their back to you it's totally OK to core them out first!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 20, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
CAn someone suggest a Timberwolf S build that isn't hell to play on the new map. I'll take LRMs at this point, I'm just sick of playing peekaboo with medium lasers and SRMs

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Team Helios - [228], ModPud's old crew. Greeting large groups of tryhards with 'Oh, hey, we're up against Team Helios today!' is a quick and easy way to make them incredibly pissed. The angrier they get, the more likely they're actually running Helios.

Dads - Atlases in general. If someone says "Follow Dad!" that means a push is happening. Find the nearest Atlas and follow it closely even if it's walking into danger. Just sticking close to dad will help dad protect you while you wreck poo poo, and help protect dad since you'll draw a little fire away from it. Always help dad.

Dad is poo poo and forgets to file workman's comp. Always assist dad with anything.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Drythe posted:

Dad is poo poo and forgets to file workman's comp. Always assist dad with anything.

Dad is slow and cranky and Dad's greatest power comes from its belt.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I need people to shout orders at me tonight. I would love to do it myself but I don't know any of the map strats

please yell at me

like, a lot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

You know I feel like out of all the tryhard teams they're the least likely to run it (or have the fewest people running it)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yellboss - Someone who's calling targets. If they call for you to shoot something, try to shoot it. Use good judgement though, if someone's got their back to you it's totally OK to core them out first!

Markemp/Heffay - tiresome idiot who relentlessly defends basically every decision pgi make despite no longer playing the game

NGNG - No Guts No Galaxy. Originally a fan site and podcast about battle tech stuff it's now basically a promotional arm for pgi. SeanLang is not a terrible human being but is unable to see anything wrong with the game basically ever.

Lurmageddon - could refer to one of several incidences of pgi buggering up lrms with hilarious consequences. The best of which was when lrms fired like a loving Javelin meaning the only way to avoid them was to have something directly overhead.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

When Artemis first got released, it was amazing. Never again will I get a headshot with lurms

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fil5000 posted:

Lurmageddon - could refer to one of several incidences of pgi buggering up lrms with hilarious consequences. The best of which was when lrms fired like a loving Javelin meaning the only way to avoid them was to have something directly overhead.

For any newcomers trying to picture this: the lrms would fly at high altitude towards their target until they were right above it. Then they'd make a razorsharp 90 degree turn downward straight into the cockpit/ct.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

DOMDOM posted:

I need people to shout orders at me tonight.
please yell at me

like, a lot

There's a thread for people like you...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728587&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post447171453

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Mindblast posted:

For any newcomers trying to picture this: the lrms would fly at high altitude towards their target until they were right above it. Then they'd make a razorsharp 90 degree turn downward straight into the cockpit/ct.

That sounds awful

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ZenVulgarity posted:

That sounds awful

It was. But while it was in I levelled up so many lovely lrm mechs.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Zombie - A mech with all it's weapons in it's torso capable of continued fighting after arms and LT or RT have been stripped. The opposite of a popsicle.

Shield side/ Dead side - Loading your weapons asymmetrically in a mech so you can torso twist the opposite side into incoming fire protecting your weapons allowing you to pew pew longer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ZenVulgarity posted:

That sounds awful

It was the cause of the first of many breaks I took from MWO.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

It was the cause of the first of many breaks I took from MWO.

It lasted for like, three days you baby

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

You know I feel like out of all the tryhard teams they're the least likely to run it (or have the fewest people running it)

228 is pretty awesome and they seem to have actual fun in the majority of their videos, not to mention they often drop in non-bracket builds and still wreck poo poo. i highly doubt their main group of guys are running helios given the pedigree of some of their players

though from here on out, every group that drops in numbers larger than four is team helios, try hard or not

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

teepo posted:

228 is pretty awesome and they seem to have actual fun in the majority of their videos, not to mention they often drop in non-bracket builds and still wreck poo poo. i highly doubt their main group of guys are running helios given the pedigree of some of their players

though from here on out, every group that drops in numbers larger than four is team helios, try hard or not

Now you get it

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

teepo posted:

Honestly I think this also applies to the other groups we accuse of cheating. I think it's just a few bad apples hiding it from their friends, yet are absolutely obvious to the rest of us because they never actually play against one another.

I was originally skeptical of this stuff but after playing a few matches against their stacks I've quickly been convinced of it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I haven't really experienced the insta-coring or head shots. But I had two matches with goons where we went up against the same clan, and two of them clearly knew where all the time we were and were shooting at where we were going to peek before we could even get around a corner. Didn't matter that we had ECM and went to different spots, they always were firing at where we were about to peek from before we could even see them. We still rolled them both matches though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

Honestly I think this also applies to the other groups we accuse of cheating. I think it's just a few bad apples hiding it from their friends, yet are absolutely obvious to the rest of us because they never actually play against one another.

I was originally skeptical of this stuff but after playing a few matches against their stacks I've quickly been convinced of it.

I agree that the cheaters disguise it. Back in some of the b33f's old videos of competitive games, right, you can hear modpud saying "oh you know what, I think they're going to try to come over the ridge in d4" or whatever ten seconds before the other team comes over the ridge in d4.

It looked like just a good call at the time, but now we know it's wallhacking

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Now you get it

Team Helios is a call out against hackers, and alternatively a way to mock the players whose lives literally revolve around playing/practicing MWO. Imagine the sheer amount of time and practice required to roll a coordinated team with a level of efficiency and coordination that would be more fitting for a real-world military operation.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

I agree that the cheaters disguise it. Back in some of the b33f's old videos of competitive games, right, you can hear modpud saying "oh you know what, I think they're going to try to come over the ridge in d4" or whatever ten seconds before the other team comes over the ridge in d4.

It looked like just a good call at the time, but now we know it's wallhacking

here we go, like 7:30 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDfryF1jkU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I hate the H version of the firestarter so loving much

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So after slamming my dick in the door over and over again on Arctic Polar Winds whatever that dumb map is called, I think it's time to stop dropping in a brawling DDC for a bit. I have a good group of lights but not really anything for longer range type stuff. Anyone have any recommendations? Is Gauss still hosed? I see it in most of the Metamechs builds. What's the difference between clan guess and IS Gauss? Something with the build up?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 20, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

So after slamming my dick in the door over and over again on Arctic Polar Winds whatever that dumb map is called, I think it's time to stop dropping in a brawling DDC for a bit. I have a good group of lights buy not really anything for longer range type stuff. Anyone have any recommendations? Is Gauss still hosed? I see it in most of the Metamechs builds. What's the difference between clan guess and IS Gauss? Something with the build up?

clan and IS gauss are identical except clan gauss is three tons lighter

gauss is a bit better now because the cooldown went from 5.5s to 5s. Still probably not great on single-gauss builds, but not bad on dual-gauss

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

i saw a dire wolf with six machineguns and a shitload of pulse lasers

That is hilarious

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Polar Highlands is a good map and I have absolutely no shame.

Even got ERLL range mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I miss the good ole days when you only had four choices in mechs the Jenner, the Catapult, the Atlas and the Hunchback and you could knockdown mechs.

• Locked thread