Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

can't remember the wording it's more of an idea i have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I wish I could just record my co-worker Dolph. He is literally Forrest Gump except not nice. He's just an annoying moron.

-He doesn't believe in evolution because "no one was around to see it", and if you try to explain it he gets angry and shuts the conversation down by stalking off in a mini-tantrum like a toddler

-His mouth breather 18 year old son has been in 5 accidents and totaled as many cars, probably texting while driving; he says "every car we get him seems to have problems with the brakes, I can't figure it out."

-He was talking about how his cat is scratching constantly and zgoing bald, in a "ha ha get a load of this funny story" way, not an "I am concerned" way. I told him to go to the vet because the cat probably has mites or some other kind of parasite or disorder, and he said "You think so huh? Cause he's old and I thought cats can get bald like a man that way."

-Any of our part time staff who are any colour other than white, he is unable to remember their name and instead refers them to such names as "the dark fella", or "the Chinese girl", etc. I asked him once if he even remembered the name of one of the Asian girls who had been there over 2 years. He said "foreign names are really hard for me to remember." Her name is Amy.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Nutsngum posted:

He is sort of right... in a really stupid and innacurate way.

Existing wells have been known to "fill up" to a certain point because the pressures in the ground equalize and force untapped oil into previously empty reservoirs. They can then be reused if its not expensive to do so. Still doesnt mean new oil is being made though.

That is true, but his point was that they'll keep refilling indefinitely because the earth makes the oil and there will never be a decrease in volume or quality. He also believed that green energy initiatives were a conspiracy by the government. At that point, I think that I made an excuse that my phone was dying, and we had to get back on topic or what needed to be done wouldn't get done.

Part of Everything posted:

I wish I could just record my co-worker Dolph. He is literally Forrest Gump except not nice. He's just an annoying moron.

-He doesn't believe in evolution because "no one was around to see it", and if you try to explain it he gets angry and shuts the conversation down by stalking off in a mini-tantrum like a toddler

This reminds me of a story an English professor friend told me. Early in the semester, the professor mentioned that her husband was an archaeologist and a student responded "how can he study something that doesn't exist?" Another student that semester told her that he doesn't believe in Native Americans because "no one was around to see them." Apparently, their grasp of American history is a little fuzzy.

luloo123 has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jan 19, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's like a pulpy, sparkling orange drink (contains like 3% drink juice). It's a popular drink in France and other parts of Europe. I like it, give it a shot.

E: It's actually 12% juice and 2% pulp, just checked.

Between this and San Pellegrino I wonder how many Europeans actually know what an orange even tastes like.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Roro posted:

Isn't it still "in production"?

Star Citizen won't fail because it's Wile E. Coyote running off the cliff and it doesn't have the self awareness to look down yet

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"...So here he was with his cure for cancer, right? But when Big Pharma caught a whiff of it, they hired the Mafia to burn his lab down."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

He is sort of right... in a really stupid and innacurate way.

Existing wells have been known to "fill up" to a certain point because the pressures in the ground equalize and force untapped oil into previously empty reservoirs. They can then be reused if its not expensive to do so. Still doesnt mean new oil is being made though.

He's also right about oil not being made of dinosaurs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why is it everyone keeps treating cancer like it's one monolothic disease that could be cured by a single pill or something and not a huge collection of similar diseases?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Because (a) nobody has decent health education in the US, (b) people are socially conditioned to believe in One Weird Trick, and (c) many people can't mentally handle the fact that Grandma is going to die and nobody can save her.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why is it everyone keeps treating cancer like it's one monolothic disease that could be cured by a single pill or something and not a huge collection of similar diseases?

Plus the company or person that figures out how to cure a cancer basically has a license to print money. He or she will have "Big Pharma" and/or venture capitalists begging to give him money.

And you bet it will become an arms race of cancer cures at that point.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hirayuki posted:

"...So here he was with his cure for cancer, right? But when Big Pharma caught a whiff of it, they hired the Mafia to burn his lab down."

Man, Big Automotive leads one little massive conspiracy to shut down public mass transit in the United States and suddenly everybody's gotta get in on the act.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Part of Everything posted:

I wish I could just record my co-worker Dolph.

Is Dolph short for "Adolf" or "Dolphin?"

Content: When I was 19 and going to community college, the professor in Psychology class said "necrophilia" when she meant "narcolepsy." It sort of set the tone for the whole community college experience.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

My community college intro to physical anthropology prof. Was a Bigfoot hunter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

"Tide comes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that!"

Bread comes in, toast comes out. You can't explain that!

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

Humboldt Squid posted:

Bigfoot hunter sounds silly and p cool at the same time though...am I the idiot too?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
If you are then I'm an idiot too, cause that sounds fun to me. No reason professors can't have interesting but goofy hobbies imo.

I guess unless they were one of those bigfoot people who are way too into it and get all weird. Like the bigfoot version of chemtrail-believers.

e:

MikeCrotch posted:

Well if you want to be happy she's not wrong

The relative's daughter is now 17 and already has two children with two different fathers. So she never even finished high school. I reeeally think her mom should've concentrated on the smartness thing just a bit more.

Telemaze has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Jan 20, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Telemaze posted:

If you are then I'm an idiot too, cause that sounds fun to me. No reason professors can't have interesting but goofy hobbies imo.

I guess unless they were one of those bigfoot people who are way too into it and get all weird. Like the bigfoot version of chemtrail-believers.

e:

The relative's daughter is now 17 and already has two children with two different fathers. So she never even finished high school. I reeeally think her mom should've concentrated on the smartness thing just a bit more.

I'd be kind of weirded out knowing my ostensibly logical anthropology professor believed in pseudoscience and cryptozoology personally, if only because that kind of stuff could seep into their teaching

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

:downs:: "Well they already proved its no big deal if the polar ice caps melt."
:what:: Pardon?
:downs:: "Yeah, if you fill a glass with water and ice cubes, it wont overflow when the ice cubes eventually melt."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Woolie Wool posted:

Between this and San Pellegrino I wonder how many Europeans actually know what an orange even tastes like.

Orangina is quite literally orange flavored Fanta. I would rather just buy the cheapest orange juice available.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Man, Big Automotive leads one little massive conspiracy to shut down public mass transit in the United States and suddenly everybody's gotta get in on the act.
Funnily enough, this cancer conversation was in metro Detroit. :tinfoil:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
When I was in college, my friend had an incredibly stupid roommate. When he learned that I am Jewish lady, he had a question for me:

:bahgawd: Let me see your scar.
:confused: Well, I had a knee surgery-
:bahgawd: Nah, your Jew scar.
:confused: What?
:bahgawd: From your tail.
:confused: Wha- what?
:bahgawd: Come on, everyone knows Jews are born with tails, and they get them cut off when they're babies- and that's circumcision. My dad told me all about Jews.

There was a really long talk with him after that, including some Googling and pictures.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'd be kind of weirded out knowing my ostensibly logical anthropology professor believed in pseudoscience and cryptozoology personally, if only because that kind of stuff could seep into their teaching

I know a couple of bigfoot hunters. It's a really good excuse to go drink in the woods.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

When I was in college, my friend had an incredibly stupid roommate. When he learned that I am Jewish lady, he had a question for me:

:bahgawd: Come on, everyone knows Jews are born with tails, and they get them cut off when they're babies- and that's circumcision. My dad told me all about Jews.

There was a really long talk with him after that, including some Googling and pictures.

This sounds like something I would tell a kid. I am not a father.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

This is not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but there other day a couple coworkers were counting calories and asking how many servings were in a little bag of chips. I said serving sizes were a joke and that everywhere else nutrition and calories were labeled by the gram. Their response was that Americans don't have a grasp on the gram yet. Woosh

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

radiatinglines posted:

This is not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but there other day a couple coworkers were counting calories and asking how many servings were in a little bag of chips. I said serving sizes were a joke and that everywhere else nutrition and calories were labeled by the gram. Their response was that Americans don't have a grasp on the gram yet. Woosh

Well she isnt wrong!

Here in Australia we have servings, grams per servings and nutrition per 100gs on all labels. Companies try and get around the whole serving part giving away the sheer amount of sugar/fat/salt etc in their food by claiming that single person mars bar has "two servings" because they divided it in half.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Humboldt Squid posted:

So Community is actually a documentry on the Community College experience?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Companies try and get around the whole serving part giving away the sheer amount of sugar/fat/salt etc in their food by claiming that single person mars bar has "two servings" because they divided it in half.

This is exactly what I was getting at, and despite the fact that they were just talking about how they were confused by serving sizes, all they took away from what I said was that they don't know how heavy a gram is.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

At a local Subway my uncle ordered a footlong sub which they prepared, and as they were cutting in half like they do, he asked if they could cut it into quarters instead

"Sorry, I already cut it in half :("

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

At a local Subway my uncle ordered a footlong sub which they prepared, and as they were cutting in half like they do, he asked if they could cut it into quarters instead

Well they're a sandwich artist, not a sandwich mathematician.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mouse Dresser posted:

Wow.

You ever think we could solve our issues in the world by slowly raising the taxes on people like this and then explaining it away as 'it doesn't matter, numbers can mean anything' and that would actually work?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Then a few seconds later. "JARED FOGLE TOUCHED MY BUTT." And the sandwich maker runs out in tears, never to return.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Woolie Wool posted:

Because (a) nobody has decent health education in the US, (b) people are socially conditioned to believe in One Weird Trick, and (c) many people can't mentally handle the fact that Grandma is going to die and nobody can save her.

Why give decent health education when you can spend weeks elaborating on the evils of STI-guaranteed casual sex and why you need to save it for God marriage?

WaltherFeng posted:

Orangina is quite literally orange flavored Fanta. I would rather just buy the cheapest orange juice available.

Your tastebuds must be malfunctioning because Orangina is most definitely miles apart from Fanta in taste and texture.

Mouse Dresser posted:

This guy sounds like the type of person who would use the term "Jewess" unironically.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Jan 20, 2016

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Had a dude tell me he was disapointed in me for dating black people because he didn't believe in mixing the races.

I'm gay and so was the guy who was saying that to me. :psyduck:

He was trying to tell you that you can't be gay AND in an interracial relationship. This is a radio button world, get with the times.

(I can guess that he would be one of the "Douchebags of Grindr" people)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

luloo123 posted:

This reminds me of a story an English professor friend told me. Early in the semester, the professor mentioned that her husband was an archaeologist and a student responded "how can he study something that doesn't exist?" Another student that semester told her that he doesn't believe in Native Americans because "no one was around to see them." Apparently, their grasp of American history is a little fuzzy.

I would like to know more about both of these things. What the hell did either person think they were talking about?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aesop Poprock posted:

I would like to know more about both of these things. What the hell did either person think they were talking about?

My best guess is that a young earth creationist confused archaeology and paleontology.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This guy sounds like the type of person who would use the term "Jewess" unironically.

He, in fact, did. As well as other racist terms. His favorite was "Orientals."

Edit: This was in 1999-2000, too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nutsngum posted:

Well she isnt wrong!

Here in Australia we have servings, grams per servings and nutrition per 100gs on all labels. Companies try and get around the whole serving part giving away the sheer amount of sugar/fat/salt etc in their food by claiming that single person mars bar has "two servings" because they divided it in half.

Serving sizes are always the stupidest things. Tiny 99 cent bag of chips? 2.5 servings (when there's maybe 40 total chips if you get lucky). On the other end, cheap-o advent calendars, the kind with super thin chocolate in them, usually say "Serving Size: 1 Calendar"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Choco1980 posted:

Serving sizes are always the stupidest things. Tiny 99 cent bag of chips? 2.5 servings (when there's maybe 40 total chips if you get lucky). On the other end, cheap-o advent calendars, the kind with super thin chocolate in them, usually say "Serving Size: 1 Calendar"

The best is when a bottle of regular Coke is 1 serving, and the same sized Diet Coke is 2 servings, so the numbers look smaller (and better!).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mouse Dresser posted:

I had a Jewish friend in college who swore up and down that he had been asked where his horns were, on more than one occasion.

I mean, obviously they're under his frizzy hair. :rolleye:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The best is when a bottle of regular Coke is 1 serving, and the same sized Diet Coke is 2 servings, so the numbers look smaller (and better!).

The main reason is so they can claim 0g of sodium and 0 calories in big letters on the label of the diet sodas. It's the same with some "sugar free" mints like Tic Tacs. There's sugar, but since a serving size is one tic-tac, it comes in to under a gram so they can legally label it as having 0g of sugar per serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Pretty much what Blue Footed Booby said.

I have no clue what they were talking about when they said they don't believe in Native Americans since he wasn't my student. They were probably asleep during their young Earth creationist Bible study classes and history classes and didn't realize that the first European contact with Native Americans happened fewer than 6,000 years ago. The more I think about it, the more it makes my head hurt. His world view ignores the stories about Columbus making contact with Native Americans and thinking that he had landed in India. It ignores the huge monuments in South America. Hell, in his history, I have no loving clue how the whole Pilgrim story would have worked.

luloo123 has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread