Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
Purchase of the first book is a down payment on the completed series. I would request a refund, but unfortunately, he can't refund my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

There was an implicit and explicit promise of additional content. Therefore, it was part of the bargain. Don't be retarded.

1) slurs are not necessary.

2) There's an implicit and explicit EXPECTATION of additional content. But you have not entered into any kind of binding contract to receive said content and Rothfuss owes you nothing beyond what you have already paid for.

CerealCrunch posted:

Purchase of the first book is a down payment on the completed series. I would request a refund, but unfortunately, he can't refund my time.

Purchase of the first book is a purchase of the first book. Anything else is you demonstrating a fundamental expectation of how 'Buying things' works.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And to think that Brandon Sanderson was thinking about an alternative title to his third Stormlight Archive book, which will be named Stones Unhallowed, if Doors of Stone comes out first.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

2) There's an implicit and explicit EXPECTATION of additional content. But you have not entered into any kind of binding contract to receive said content and Rothfuss owes you nothing beyond what you have already paid for.

I haven't entered into a legally binding contract to not think Rothfuss is a lazy hack either.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Purchase of the first book is a purchase of the first book. Anything else is you demonstrating a fundamental expectation of how 'Buying things' works.

You are right that we don't have a binding contract. All that means is that I cannot sue him for breach. You are correct that he does not LEGALLY owe us anything, but I wasn't speaking as a lawyer, idiot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

You are right that we don't have a binding contract. All that means is that I cannot sue him for breach. You are correct that he does not LEGALLY owe us anything, but I wasn't speaking as a lawyer, idiot.

Well, legally or not, the only thing Rothfuss "owes" you is whatever you've already paid for. And presuming he hasn't come to your house and taken your copies of Name of the WInd and Wise Man's Fear, you have everything of his that you are owed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CerealCrunch posted:

He doesn't really owe you anything in any other way either.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Well, legally or not, the only thing Rothfuss "owes" you is whatever you've already paid for. And presuming he hasn't come to your house and taken your copies of Name of the WInd and Wise Man's Fear, you have everything of his that you are owed.

He owes his readers collectively, and hasn't delivered. You can keep repeating the same old things, but it doesn't make your retarded views any more valid or make Rothfuss any less of a dickbag.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Andrast posted:

He doesn't really owe you anything in any other way either.

The Name of the Wind was marketed as a complete fantasy series, so that - unlike Robert Jordan and GRRM - readers would not have to wait years and years for next installments to be written. That was apparently straight up bullshit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

He owes his readers collectively, and hasn't delivered. You can keep repeating the same old things, but it doesn't make your retarded views any more valid or make Rothfuss any less of a dickbag.

1) Slurs are not necessary

2) He has provided to all of his readers everything he owes them; that being paid-for copies of Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CerealCrunch posted:

You can think Rothfuss is a dickbag for not writing the book faster/being lovely about writing the book AND not think he owes the readers anything.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

The Name of the Wind was marketed as a complete fantasy series, so that - unlike Robert Jordan and GRRM - readers would not have to wait years and years for next installments to be written. That was apparently straight up bullshit.

Apparently, that does not count as a promise, since he didn't sign a contract to the public

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CerealCrunch posted:

Purchase of the first book is a down payment on the completed series.

Purchase of the first book is a purchase of a single book. Whether the series continues or not is entirely up to the author and publisher.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

You can think Rothfuss is a dickbag for not writing the book faster/being lovely about writing the book AND not think he owes the readers anything.

Or you could choose a correct viewpoint. It really is your choice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Or you could choose a correct viewpoint. It really is your choice.

The idea that Rothfuss, or any other author or content creator, owes you anything beyond what you've already paid for is an objectively incorrect viewpoint.

You're free to hold that viewpoint, but you're wrong.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

it is possible that both your arguments have their merits but spearheaded by boring wieners as they are no one will ever see that

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

The idea that Rothfuss, or any other author or content creator, owes you anything beyond what you've already paid for is an objectively incorrect viewpoint.

You're free to hold that viewpoint, but you're wrong.

Wow! OBJECTIVELY incorrect. Well, it's good to know you're a complete simpleton who doesn't know what words mean.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

And to think that Brandon Sanderson was thinking about an alternative title to his third Stormlight Archive book, which will be named Stones Unhallowed, if Doors of Stone comes out first.

I thought the 3rd book was still going to be called Oathkeeper?

Though I don't care what it's called after reading that teaser chapter of the Blackthorn in action. :black101:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Wow! OBJECTIVELY incorrect. Well, it's good to know you're a complete simpleton who doesn't know what words mean.

In what way did I misuse a word? You are objectively, factually, definitionally not owed anything further from Rothfuss that what you have already bought, paid for, and received.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

In what way did I misuse a word? You are objectively, factually, definitionally not owed anything further from Rothfuss that what you have already bought, paid for, and received.

In the way that the issue is clearly in dispute with people falling on both sides of the argument. But you, as King Downs Syndrome, have proclaimed your side OBJECTIVELY correct. The word owed is valid in ways outside of binding contracts you sub-mongoloid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

In the way that the issue is clearly in dispute with people falling on both sides of the argument. But you, as King Downs Syndrome, have proclaimed your side OBJECTIVELY correct. The word owed is valid in ways outside of binding contracts you sub-mongoloid.

And none of the ways "owed" can be applied is in any way relevant to your relationship with Patrick Rothfuss or any other author. You bought his books, that's great and fine. He does not owe you one iota more than what you have already gotten from him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is where we start invoking Godwin, isn't it?
The whole thing is a stupid argument, jivjov doesn't really make a good showing of not being Rothfuss, and we appreciate clever insults, but this is starting to turn into a birth defect catalogue.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

"Don't be retarded" wasn't a slur. It was good advice that you should heed.

jivjov posted:

1) Slurs are not necessary

Still not taking that advice, I see.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 20, 2016

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

This is where we start invoking Godwin, isn't it?
The whole thing is a stupid argument, jivjov doesn't really make a good showing of not being Rothfuss, and we appreciate clever insults, but this is starting to turn into a birth defect catalogue.

Look man, it's not my fault this rear end in a top hat has Ataxia Telangiectasia.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Slithery D posted:

"Don't be retarded" wasn't a slur. It was good advice that you should heed.

The word 'retard' when used as an insult is an ableist slur.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

The word 'retard' when used as an insult is an ableist slur.

Sure, but it was used as an accurate description, not an insult. You are objectively behaving as a mental retard. If you do not actually suffer from any organic brain disability then you're doing so by choice and should stop so as to not insult the collective intelligence of everyone in this thread and your fellow retards who can't help it.

If you do suffer from an organic malady then I'm sorry, it's not your fault that you behave like this. I'm glad someone in your supervised home bought you an account and an avatar. :unsmith:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Is this what it was like when the bad thread started turning bad?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Slithery D posted:

Sure, but it was used as an accurate description, not an insult. You are objectively behaving as a mental retard. If you do not actually suffer from any organic brain disability then you're doing so by choice and should stop so as to not insult the collective intelligence of everyone in this thread and your fellow retards who can't help it.

If you do suffer from an organic malady then I'm sorry, it's not your fault that you behave like this. I'm glad someone in your supervised home bought you an account and an avatar. :unsmith:

In what way does recognizing that I am owed nothing by an author whom I have read works from in the past indicative of any manner of "brain disability"?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Please stop quoting JivJov, let him die on his hill in peace.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PJOmega posted:

Please stop quoting JivJov, let him die on his hill in peace.

People like to make it sound like I'm the only one who recognizes that I am owed no future works by an author...but:

SpacePig posted:

Purchase of the first book is a purchase of a single book. Whether the series continues or not is entirely up to the author and publisher.

Andrast posted:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the two quoted posters pull their hats over their faces and rush out of the thread

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
JivJov puts me in mind of a fellow called Bozeman Pete. Bozeman Pete was a homeless man who lived on the streets of Bozeman, Montana. He was well known in the area, partially because there were very few homeless folks in the city, but also because he had a peculiar gimmick of dressing like a leprechaun.

In a way, Bozeman Pete was beloved by many of the townsfolk. He was generally polite, and people saw him as a curiosity. But people turned on him quickly when he developed a routine of jerking off into his own hat in front of the drugstore downtown.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

JivJov puts me in mind of a fellow called Bozeman Pete. Bozeman Pete was a homeless man who lived on the streets of Bozeman, Montana. He was well known in the area, partially because there were very few homeless folks in the city, but also because he had a peculiar gimmick of dressing like a leprechaun.

In a way, Bozeman Pete was beloved by many of the townsfolk. He was generally polite, and people saw him as a curiosity. But people turned on him quickly when he developed a routine of jerking off into his own hat in front of the drugstore downtown.

Having exhausted your routine of treating authors as your own personal entertainment-producing-servants, you instead turn to.....meaningless gibbering?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

jivjov posted:

People like to make it sound like I'm the only one who recognizes that I am owed no future works by an author...but:

I will say, though, that while I agree that authors owe us nothing, I'm also of the mind that Rothfuss is dragging his feet and won't finish the book anytime soon. I don't expect him to, and don't think he owes it to me to.

Wangsbig posted:

the two quoted posters pull their hats over their faces and rush out of the thread

This was probably the better option.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 20, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

I will say, though, that while I agree that authors owe us nothing, I'm also of the mind that Rothfuss is dragging his feet and won't finish the book anytime soon.

Which is perfectly reasonably; Rothfuss has overshot several predicted completion and release targets.

But you and I are some of the very few that seem to recognize a difference between being disappointed that a project is taking longed than predicted and the author somehow owing it to us to work faster.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Having exhausted your routine of treating authors as your own personal entertainment-producing-servants, you instead turn to.....meaningless gibbering?

As I said before, he owes his readers collectively, not me personally. It's odd that you defend authors when you can barely read yourself. Stick with Goodnight Moon. It's more your level.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

As I said before, he owes his readers collectively, not me personally. It's odd that you defend authors when you can barely read yourself. Stick with Goodnight Moon. It's more your level.

The only things he owes to his readers are the copies of his books that people have already bought. You really seem to be struggling with the concept of linear time. Just because a 3rd book in a trilogy is forthcoming does not mean it is owed to you (until such time as you have bought a copy)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2016

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

The only things he owes to his readers are the copies of his books that people have already bought. You really seem to be struggling with the concept of linear time. Just because a 3rd book in a trilogy is forthcoming does not mean i is owed to you (until such time as you have bought a copy)

Try not to poo poo your pants like the developmentally delayed child that you are as I explain this to you: It is possible to owe things that do not exist yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Try not to poo poo your pants like the developmentally delayed child that you are as I explain this to you: It is possible to owe things that do not exist yet.

Yeah, if you've preordered something, sure. Show me your receipt for Doors of Stone and I'll be happy to admit that you're owed a copy of that book at some point in the future.

And even taking that into consideration, the book is still being written. It has not been cancelled. Even if you're deluded into thinking that Rothfuss is under some insurmoutable obligation to produce Doors of Stone...congratulations, he is doing exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I would like to apologize to Jivjov. I just checked my copy of The Name of the Wind and found this dust jacket quote from George RR Martin: "This is an excellent debut novel in an exciting new series that leaves the reader begging for more, but the author is a creepy, lazy, dishonest gently caress who can't be trusted with his claims about future books. Buyer beware."

So I should have known.

• Locked thread