Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pantsofwar posted:

So basically Sarah Palin is a banner that Trump will be waving to rally up his voters. I like to think that the banner is a piece of enchanted meat that wears glasses with lipstick. The curse is that it will keep talking till your soul evaporates.

This move by Palin means Trump can't lose the nomination, or the Republican party splinters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Man I really hope Maddow spends like 20 minutes dissecting the oblique reference to her son's PTSD and contrasting it with GOP VA policy

fake edit: I'm starting to think some of these protestors are plants. I've seen this exact same scenario a few times before. Like word for word

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Every night I go home and my wife asks if there were a lot of people because she didn't see them."

Honestly, Trump makes his wife sound like an idiot. How come she never catches on?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quadrophrenic posted:

so disgustingly offensive I can't even

how have you been on this website for four years?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 22, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't know why people get so angry with Palin, she's going to be humiliated in November :shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pantsofwar posted:

So basically Sarah Palin is a banner that Trump will be waving to rally up his voters. I like to think that the banner is a piece of enchanted meat that wears glasses with lipstick. The curse is that it will keep talking till your soul evaporates.

He's already demoted her to an opening act he just uses to start up the crowd, but the basic mistake he's making is the same one the Republican party made with her, the Tea Party, and even Trump himself. Thinking you can control the crazy and use it to your advantage. Its backfired every time. Trump better hope she goes home to Alaska tonight and doesn't get greedy for the attention or this could just be a repeat of history.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

"Every night I go home and my wife asks if there were a lot of people because she didn't see them."

Honestly, Trump makes his wife sound like an idiot. How come she never catches on?

Whats funny is that they show the crowed for almost an hour waiting for him to show up because he is so late all the time. But I guess if he isn't there something can't exist.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
PTSD? It's a terrible thing, it's really terrible. But, I've gotta tell you, if someone has "PTSD" after fighting for freedom- I mean, what's traumatic about that? Spreading freedom, ya know, that doesn't sound like that should be traumatic to me, I'm sorry, but it doesn't. And I think the question we've gotta be asking is Why wasn't this guy ready to do that? Why is he getting PTSD? It's because under Obama, our military has fallen apart! They didn't used to get PTSD! They used to come back and they were just fine!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

STAC Goat posted:

He's already demoted her to an opening act he just uses to start up the crowd, but the basic mistake he's making is the same one the Republican party made with her, the Tea Party, and even Trump himself. Thinking you can control the crazy and use it to your advantage. Its backfired every time. Trump better hope she goes home to Alaska tonight and doesn't get greedy for the attention or this could just be a repeat of history.

oh yes please

Sarah 2016

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

GOIN ROGUE

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Trump probably thinks his money can keep Sarah reigned in. And if he's as aggressive as Sheldon Adelson is with money (suing journalists just to financially ruin them etc), he's probably right.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
hold on, karl rove says this joke is still funny

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think this whole thing starts to go bad when Palin takes her first solo interview. That's what Trump has to be afraid of. He can try and keep her reigned in, and who knows, maybe Palin just isn't that motivated anymore? But if she gets a couple of spots on Fox News and CNN and starts to love it then its just a matter of time before she starts writing policy for Trump or her crazy life/family/ideas start becoming a liability.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Palin has been doing this act for years. In 2012 she helped a lot of GOP Senators, governors, and congresspeople win their seats, including Ted Cruz.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

STAC Goat posted:

I think this whole thing starts to go bad when Palin takes her first solo interview. That's what Trump has to be afraid of. He can try and keep her reigned in, and who knows, maybe Palin just isn't that motivated anymore? But if she gets a couple of spots on Fox News and CNN and starts to love it then its just a matter of time before she starts writing policy for Trump or her crazy life/family/ideas start becoming a liability.

Game Change 2: Revenge of the Proud Clinger

pantsofwar
Jul 14, 2006
Yea, becouse pants do go to war? Eh?

Montasque posted:

Palin has been doing this act for years. In 2012 she helped a lot of GOP Senators, governors, and congresspeople win their seats, including Ted Cruz.

All the reason why I think she is an enchanted meat banner.

I think in three week's Trump will throw her away. "She was the caboose that had to be let go from the Trump Train."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

STAC Goat posted:

Trump better hope she goes home to Alaska tonight and doesn't get greedy for the attention or this could just be a repeat of history.

Palin could cause the GOP to waffle between cursing her name and apologizing for it because the GOP wants to be elected to things, and they wanted the support of people who support Palin.

Trump has no such liabilities. If she humiliates and costs him the same way she did the McCain campaign, he can easily afford to file a suit (likely a frivolous one but that's never stopped anything) that will be protracted for so many years that the lawyers take whatever she planned to leave for the kids.

Billionaires are different from, uh, basically everyone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Montasque posted:

But isn't there theoretically a difference between that sort of small, regional stuff and this national attention? Hitching herself to Ted Cruz in Texas isn't the same as Trump's presidential run. The news cycle is current "Trump/Palin", or arguably "Palin/Trump." That could be intoxicating for an attention whore like Palin.

Its just a thought. Like I said, I think its possible Palin is just too lazy to want that anymore and would be perfectly content just doing a little for a lot of money.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pantsofwar posted:

All the reason why I think she is an enchanted meat banner.

I think in three week's Trump will throw her away. "She was the caboose that had to be let go from the Trump Train."
"And what a caboose, am i right?!" *poll numbers go up 5%*

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't know why I am even watching trump talk again. He repeats the same poo poo twice a day.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
USA

USA

U

S

A

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Craptacular! posted:

Palin could cause the GOP to waffle between cursing her name and apologizing for it because the GOP wants to be elected to things, and they wanted the support of people who support Palin.

Trump has no such liabilities. If she humiliates and costs him the same way she did the McCain campaign, he can easily afford to file a suit (likely a frivolous one but that's never stopped anything) that will be protracted for so many years that the lawyers take whatever she planned to leave for the kids.

Billionaires are different from, uh, basically everyone.

I see your point but it still kind of threatens for Trump to lose control. A large part of the reason Trump has done so well is that he's completely controlled the media narrative for the Republican Primary. Basically everything that's happened has been a reaction to Trump. He introduced a wild card that could distract him the way the Birther thing distracted Cruz or Trump has distracted everyone else. Trump could make Palin's life miserable and trash her afterwards but it still changes the conversation away from what Trump wants it to be.

Unless you're saying he can just control Palin with the threat of it, which yeah, I certainly think is part of the whole "content to do as little as possible" thing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Montasque posted:

It's not going to work this time anywhere outside the primary because of additional exposure + increased voter turnout.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

But isn't there theoretically a difference between that sort of small, regional stuff and this national attention? Hitching herself to Ted Cruz in Texas isn't the same as Trump's presidential run. The news cycle is current "Trump/Palin", or arguably "Palin/Trump." That could be intoxicating for an attention whore like Palin.

Its just a thought. Like I said, I think its possible Palin is just too lazy to want that anymore and would be perfectly content just doing a little for a lot of money.

It's the GOP primary, not the general. There is nothing she can do outside of endorsing another candidate, that can hurt Trump right now.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Is there a Palin syntax guide anywhere online??

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

rear end cobra posted:

Is there a Palin syntax guide anywhere online??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9j8n12pqw3ghvt/SarahPalinKyoko.m4a

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

STAC Goat posted:

Its "our campaign" now.

Trump's going to regret this one.
Looking at the faces he made at the rally yesterday, he already does.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

Looking at the faces he made at the rally yesterday, he already does.

:getin:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

New PPP NC
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/01/trump-keeps-gaining-in-nc-clinton-maintains-huge-lead.html

Trump 38%
Cruz 16%
Rubio 11%
Carson 8%
Huckabee 6%
Jeb 6%
Christie 4%

Everyone else 3% or less.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 20, 2016

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does Trump have bad teeth? He doesn't open his mouth to smile. It's a weird goofy half-smile.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

New PPP SC
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/01/trump-keeps-gaining-in-nc-clinton-maintains-huge-lead.html

Trump 38%
Cruz 16%
Rubio 11%
Carson 8%
Huckabee 6%
Jeb 6%
Christie 4%

Everyone else 3% or less.
That's North Carolina.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Everytime Sarah Palin utters the phrase "Make America Great Again" Ted Cruz dies a little more inside, so therefore I approve.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thank god for Palin, this is just what the show needs :munch:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's North Carolina.

Fixed it. My mistake.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

tyvm

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I agree that Palin's sort of like playing with fire, even for Trump. There's a lot of directions she could take things that might hurt him, not the least of which if it becomes "our campaign" and she starts making more appearances, maybe doing interviews. Trump's got a lot of experience managing wannabe and hasbeen reality TV celebrities so he should probably recognize the warning signs, but the whole appeal of having Palin is using her to rile up the crowds while her motivation to endorse is to bask in that energy and get to grifting.

Probably the best thing for Trump would be to keep her around a few more days so that her endorsement gets hammered into the minds of Iowa voters, then pack her back off to Alaska with the excuse that she needs to look after her son in his time of need. It plays into her "family values mother" shtick and if it puts Trump over the top in Iowa she gets to notch another claim about the power of her endorsement, her brand gets a shot in the arm and Trump doesn't have to worry about someone else being an unpredictable maverick.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I agree that Palin's sort of like playing with fire, even for Trump. There's a lot of directions she could take things that might hurt him, not the least of which if it becomes "our campaign" and she starts making more appearances, maybe doing interviews. Trump's got a lot of experience managing wannabe and hasbeen reality TV celebrities so he should probably recognize the warning signs, but the whole appeal of having Palin is using her to rile up the crowds while her motivation to endorse is to bask in that energy and get to grifting.

Probably the best thing for Trump would be to keep her around a few more days so that her endorsement gets hammered into the minds of Iowa voters, then pack her back off to Alaska with the excuse that she needs to look after her son in his time of need. It plays into her "family values mother" shtick and if it puts Trump over the top in Iowa she gets to notch another claim about the power of her endorsement, her brand gets a shot in the arm and Trump doesn't have to worry about someone else being an unpredictable maverick.

She's like a rabid lowtax-dog for attention and now that she's found something to bite down on he'll have to use a big gun at close range to loosen those jaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trump isn't going to like sharing the spot light if it comes to that

• Locked thread