Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

ModDb. It says it's last updated last June, but it's really the new version from a couple days ago. Something doesn't work with date ypdates on addons.

Ah okay, thanks much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Kins posted:

こんにちは!JPCP(Japanese Community Project)を使用できるようになりましパブリックベータ版を持っています。あなたはここからダウンロードすることができます。

gently caress Google Translate

this is great

blackmarketlimb posted:

Project Brutality 2.0 is out now.

Short summary: it's a goddamned masterpiece.

this is also great

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Term - you said that you were friends with some of the Japanese community pack mappers. Do you know if they've done other stuff? Is there some underground Japanese wad author scene out there producing hidden gems, or is this it?

Yeah, there's a nice chunk of mappers going around, but most of them you've probably already played--you just didn't know they were Japanese. tatsurd-cacocaco (the head of the project) is probably the most recognizable dude, and even then he's a "oh it's THAT guy!". He's a speedrunner. You've probably played his stuff in the 1994TU or Plutonia Revisited Community Pack.
Honestly, outside of the initial novelty, it's pretty straightforward. They speak Japanese, we speak English, most of the areas we post about stuff on are English, Doom is an English game, so they don't really make a huge fuss. Still, if you're really interested in following the Japanese scene, there's several dedicated 2chan threads up and going about the game. Or if you don't like 'chan boards, there's a wiki and several blogs.

skasion posted:

Is anybody else having this problem when running Demonsteele in ZDoom?

Only occurs with heretic.wad, heretic1.wad, hexen.wad and hexdd.wad as far as I can tell. When loading up the game it also has the same kind of color problems. I guess it's some kind of palette screwup (?) but I can't find anything online about how to adjust that.

DemonSteele unfortunately doesn't support non-Doom games. Sorry.
It is a palette screw-up, DemonSteele uses a desaturated and slightly darker color palette reminiscent of 80s animation--since it's based off Doom colors, what's happening is that it's applying to the Heretic/Hexen colors, which...make things look wonky.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

lets hang out posted:

this is great

this is also great

And combined... they're surprisingly intense. They're pretty dense, sneaky maps that often drop big waves of enemies on you.

Edit: Some of the secret areas in JPCP are big and impressive looking and mix things up in interesting ways.

Edit 2: Son of Edit - This is cute.

Anyone else get a Hellbound vibe from a lot of JPCP's maps? Semi-realistic environments with encroaching demonic corruption and all that.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 20, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I never noticed the numbers on all this nonsense. Jesus. At least 200 releases a year?

https://twitter.com/jmickle_/status/684384125063696384

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

While it confirms that the Doom scene is never not active, I'm kinda surprised the number is so low. I wonder what the ratio of single maps/megawads/gameplay mods is. I'd imagine there's more big releases now than in 1995.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

I never noticed the numbers on all this nonsense. Jesus. At least 200 releases a year?

I can believe it. It feels like not a week goes by without at least one big-profile Doom release - who knows how many other smaller ones are sneaking in under the radar?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TerminusEst13 posted:

It is a palette screw-up, DemonSteele uses a desaturated and slightly darker color palette reminiscent of 80s animation--since it's based off Doom colors, what's happening is that it's applying to the Heretic/Hexen colors, which...make things look wonky.

That kinda sucks though because if anything you'd think demonsteele would match hexen and heretic's setting even more.

It shouldn't be that hard to just go into the WAD and rip out the palette, right? So that it would use the default Doom palette if you played doom, or default hexen if you played hexen?

Dominic White posted:

And combined... they're surprisingly intense. They're pretty dense, sneaky maps that often drop big waves of enemies on you.

Edit: Some of the secret areas in JPCP are big and impressive looking and mix things up in interesting ways.

Anyone else get a Hellbound vibe from a lot of JPCP's maps? Semi-realistic environments with encroaching demonic corruption and all that.

Hahahaha, that's loving great. Please tell me they included a "huge guts!" panel somewhere :allears:

The Kins posted:

Yeah but ~100 of those releases are garbage that's unplayable.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

This has to be one of Kurashiki's maps, she's big on doing the whole sector art thing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahaha, that's loving great. Please tell me they included a "huge guts!" panel somewhere :allears:

I'll have to check my map more often, but at the end of the level you do find the Revenant Lab.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

That kinda sucks though because if anything you'd think demonsteele would match hexen and heretic's setting even more.

It shouldn't be that hard to just go into the WAD and rip out the palette, right? So that it would use the default Doom palette if you played doom, or default hexen if you played hexen?

Support for a game would go quite a bit beyond just fitting it with the proper palette. The good news is that it's going to be much easier to do that for ZDoom from now on, since you can now filter files by game, so you can make stuff that will only be loaded for Doom and other stuff that'll only be loaded for Heretic.

The bad news is that DemonSteele is also made for Zandronum.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

This is only data from idgames so the actual numbers would be higher. All the maps people make go on idgames but for whatever reason ZDoom gameplay mods are typically not uploaded (probably because are all perpetually in a state of flux).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

david_a posted:

This is only data from idgames so the actual numbers would be higher. All the maps people make go on idgames but for whatever reason ZDoom gameplay mods are typically not uploaded (probably because are all perpetually in a state of flux).

What happened in 2005?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zaphod42 posted:

You could probably open the pk3 and delete playpal.pal to fix the most basic issue, but there's still a lot of poo poo that wouldn't work right.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Kins posted:

I didn't really understand how he came to the figures for that graph. A couple months ago I made a similar one, taken directly from the /idgames database:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

site posted:

What happened in 2005?
Not sure. I remember for a while people were uploading every last mundane, boring, "my first map" 1994 WAD they could find for historical completeness :spergin: so maybe the spike is from the contents of some obscure 1000 AWESOME DOOM MAPS shovelware CD. Or there is some technical reason for it like a bunch of time stamps got reset. I don't remember when Linguica first made the idgames front end or how exactly that chart was made.

Edit: beaten with real facts

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

I didn't really understand how he came to the figures for that graph. A couple months ago I made a similar one, taken directly from the /idgames database:

Each data point in his graph is "files uploaded during entirety of x year" where it looks like your graph has a much smaller unit for the x axis (month?). We see a similar shape, however, big spike in 1995, smaller spike in 2005, gentle bump in 2015.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Sven Co-op 5.0 is being released this Friday in case anyone missed the news.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Ah, too bad. I'd love to play the Heretic campaign with it, but I can see how it'd be a lot of work to make it compatible. Great mod though, having a blast with it.

Anybody else in the thread played with Sun Shihong at all? How does she work relative to Hae-Lin?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brovstin posted:

Sven Co-op 5.0 is being released this Friday in case anyone missed the news.

And it's going to be...

1. On Steam
2. Completely Free
3. Include the entire HL1 campaign rejigged for co-op (no HL1 purchase necessary)
4. Bundles with a bunch of extra maps, playmodes, minigames, etc

Hopefully this leads to a bunch of people playing it. It deserves some attention, especially now it's all official and blessed and stuff.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

What happened in 2005?

Doom 3

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dominic White posted:

And it's going to be...

1. On Steam
2. Completely Free
3. Include the entire HL1 campaign rejigged for co-op (no HL1 purchase necessary)
4. Bundles with a bunch of extra maps, playmodes, minigames, etc

Hopefully this leads to a bunch of people playing it. It deserves some attention, especially now it's all official and blessed and stuff.
Have they come up with a way to keep weapons between maps yet? A google search turns up forum conversations from 2004, so not very helpful.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

This has to be one of Kurashiki's maps, she's big on doing the whole sector art thing.
That map's by Toooooasty, the guy behind Doom Radys, which I used as a base for DemonSteele. He's cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you just wanted it to load up with the proper colors, yeah, all that'd be needed is going into the DemonSteele .pk3 and deleting both the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP entries.
Like others said, though, that wouldn't mean instant compatibility--enemies wouldn't give souls, weapons wouldn't spawn, etc. But it'd still be fun for a romp.

Cat Mattress posted:

The good news is that it's going to be much easier to do that for ZDoom from now on, since you can now filter files by game, so you can make stuff that will only be loaded for Doom and other stuff that'll only be loaded for Heretic.
The bad news is that DemonSteele is also made for Zandronum.
Being made for Zimbabwe is, thankfully, completely irrelevant for this outside of the palette.
Each game, whether it's Heretic or Hexen or Doom, still loads zdoom.pk3 which has the definition of the actors. This is why you can still summon the EntityBoss actor from Strife while in netgames with sv_cheats 1 enabled and suddenly everyone starts dying to an invisible, indestructable, instant-kill boss. Not that I would ever do anything like that.
Regardless, what this means is that replacing all of the enemies or weapon pickups won't affect other games. This is the same way Samsara works, everything is replaced in one lump sum.

(I'm not going to do Strife again, though. I'm not. gently caress Strife modding. gently caress Strife modding)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TerminusEst13 posted:

(I'm not going to do Strife again, though. I'm not. gently caress Strife modding. gently caress Strife modding)

Forgive my ignorance and I don't remember if it's been brought up before but why this?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

One of the reasons you barely see any mods for Strife is because a lot of Strife's support in ZDoom is reverse-engineered and hardcoded, to the point where simply replacing one thing can break the entire game.
Modding for Strife is extremely difficult, and as the least popular of the idtech1 games, it's very unrewarding.

Unfortunately, this leads to a vicious cycle of few mods for Strife = people don't play Strife much = few people mod for Strife = few mods for Strife = people don't play Strife much, and on and on it cycles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Strife being a game were changing one thing can break everything has nothing to do with reverse engineering, and everything to do with its original "forward" engineering. In fact it's a lot easier to make Strife mods for ZDoom than for vanilla.

But yeah if you don't want to break the main questline while still changing the gameplay, good luck! A lot of stuff happening is found in map conversation scripts (e.g., the people giving you a crossbow to assault the Order's sanctuary) so if you want to replace the crossbow by a different weapon you have to edit the map scripts...

The gameplay in Strife is also a lot more RPG-ish than the typical Doom shooter. You start with a lousy weapon and you miss half your shots, you end up with increased accuracy and health and godlike weapons such as the incendiary grenade launcher. You can't put this kind of progression when you're used to making a string of pistol-startable maps.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

While it confirms that the Doom scene is never not active, I'm kinda surprised the number is so low. I wonder what the ratio of single maps/megawads/gameplay mods is. I'd imagine there's more big releases now than in 1995.

You want to talk about low fan map releases? Ask the Duke Nukem 3d fans.

The poor, poor Duke 3d fans...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There a good number of files on /idgames that are completely identical, but placed in multiple files in the archive. I wonder how those get counted.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

You want to talk about low fan map releases? Ask the Duke Nukem 3d fans.

The poor, poor Duke 3d fans...

Ha, I know the Doom scene is still one of the most active for modding ever. Just expected it to be higher due to single-map releases, but then I realized that those aren't that common now.

The Quake scene gets maybe one, two releases a month. Duke... yeah. Graveyard, mostly.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Ha, I know the Doom scene is still one of the most active for modding ever. Just expected it to be higher due to single-map releases, but then I realized that those aren't that common now.

The Quake scene gets maybe one, two releases a month. Duke... yeah. Graveyard, mostly.

It makes me happy to see the classic Doom Community staying busy. I think it's the one game I played back in 4th grade that is still active!

Yeah, Quake gets one or two releases a month, but man, are they pushing the limits of the engine! Some of the geography being done in the new fan maps is amazing. And of course the Doom-inspired Quake weapon set here looks cool.

I think a big reason Duke died is that Dukeworld.com died. There wasn't another major Duke site for people to migrate to. Still, I give Dukeworld.com credit for giving my favorite Duke 3d map: 'Voltron.MAP' :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, that reminds me of two of my favourites Duke3D maps. If someone could help me find them, I'd be much appreciative.

1) it was a huge space station. I remember that it had four wings, three of which were blocked off via key card access. There was a pool onboard, and I think the whole thing was a hospital. Massive level.

2) This one was almost like a free roaming city block. One of the few things I can remember is that there were walkways, and despite Hollywood Holocaust pulling off this trick, this was the first time I ever noticed stretched out door sprites working as bridges between a few buildings. I'd very much love to play this again, it was a blast in multiplayer. Like I said, it was a city block, almost free-roaming. There was probably key card access to some spots, but other than that, you could go where you wanted from the start. I think there was a park in the middle of the block, almost like a really small version of central park.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The second one sounds a lot like one of Pascal Rouaud's maps from Roch series:

http://dukeroch.net

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
How active is the Thief modding community these days? Would check but on my phone. Used to play loads of excellent quality maps about ten years ago for Thief 2. They'd reached a similar point to the Doom modders in that you could arguably skip the official campaign and go straight into the higher quality custom levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

laserghost posted:

The second one sounds a lot like one of Pascal Rouaud's maps from Roch series:

http://dukeroch.net

Unfortunately, I don't think it was one of those. It was set at nighttime, and it didn't seem to have THAT much work put into. The one map I saw there that was nighttime didn't seem to be it, but thanks!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Duke gets maybe 1 or 2 new mappers a year but the activity has always been barely a pulse for quite some time now. It won't die since most of the people there are ones that have been around forever (yours truly included) I'll still always be chugging away at one thing or another for it anyways.

quote:

1) it was a huge space station. I remember that it had four wings, three of which were blocked off via key card access. There was a pool onboard, and I think the whole thing was a hospital. Massive level.
Try looking at both Beta One and Beta Two by Robert Travis, they both sound like they could fit the bill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jblade posted:

Try looking at both Beta One and Beta Two by Robert Travis, they both sound like they could fit the bill.

Will do, thanks!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TerminusEst13 posted:

Unfortunately, this leads to a vicious cycle of few mods for Strife = people don't play Strife much = few people mod for Strife = few mods for Strife = people don't play Strife much, and on and on it cycles.

Crammed Psychic into Strife once and it significantly improved everything... until trying to zone into the castle post-programmer put you back to the siege of the castle. :sigh:

Seriously tho, Psychic's weapons in Strife was perfect.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

2) This one was almost like a free roaming city block. One of the few things I can remember is that there were walkways, and despite Hollywood Holocaust pulling off this trick, this was the first time I ever noticed stretched out door sprites working as bridges between a few buildings. I'd very much love to play this again, it was a blast in multiplayer. Like I said, it was a city block, almost free-roaming. There was probably key card access to some spots, but other than that, you could go where you wanted from the start. I think there was a park in the middle of the block, almost like a really small version of central park.
Did it have a working subway? I vaguely remember some level like that. I think it was explicitly made to really push Duke 3D to its limits.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beta One sounds right. That was my favorite Duke 3D level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

david_a posted:

Did it have a working subway? I vaguely remember some level like that. I think it was explicitly made to really push Duke 3D to its limits.

No, but now that I think of it, the first map I mentioned (the space station) seemed to have one section that had some sort of shuttle transport. Like I said, the place was absolutely massive.

Edit: Aaaaand yeah, it was definitely either Beta One or Beta Two, judging by the screenshots. Thanks for the help, guys! Really would love to find that city map, as well.

Links for those interested:

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/B/betaone/betaone.php
http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/B/beta2/beta2.php

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 21, 2016