Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Otoh the try scored in minute 79 of Saints-Glasgow (by the coach's son!) was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Apollodorus posted:

Otoh the try scored in minute 79 of Saints-Glasgow (by the coach's son!) was gorgeous.

Great try but that really was the highlight of the match for the Saints as far as actually rugby being played. Even in the build up to that crossfield kick, they were going backwards against 14 men.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wonder how long it'll be before Tyma comes into this thread and demands to know who gave him his avatar.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Knowing Tyma personally, I know he'll love it.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
It's the bad spelling that makes it.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

See for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ounwaeeDU

Ridiculous call by Garces not to penalise that.

To be fair it wasn't until the third replay that I could even identify what the illegal play was.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Bbc reported be made contact with the eye so I thought gouging. That's a yellow but not much more.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren:WALES SIX NATIONS SUPERFRIENDS:siren:

Front Row
Rob Evans (Scarlets)
Paul James (Ospreys)
Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues)
Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs)
Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys)
Samson Lee (Scarlets)
Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)
Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues)
Ken Owens (Scarlets)

Back Row
Jake Ball (Scarlets)
Luke Charteris (Racing 92)
Bradley Davies (Wasps)
Dominic Day (Bath Rugby)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues)
Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)
James King (Ospreys)
Dan Lydiate (Ospreys)
Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby)
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues)

Half-Backs
Rees Preistland (Bath Rugby)
Matthew Morgan (Bristol)
Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
Aled Davies (Scarlets)
Gareth Davies (Scarlets)
Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues)

Back Three
Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues)
Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne)
Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons)
Jamie Roberts (Harlequins)
Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons)
Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)
Tom James (Cardiff Blues)
George North (Northampton Saints)
Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues)
Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Six of those players are currently injured, while Rhys Webb is fit :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He must have pissed in someone's cheerios.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I thought Rhys Webb was still injured?

I'm feeling for Patchell at the moment: what does he have to do to get picked over that border-hopping Bath-based liability?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey at least Bath is kind of close to Cardiff. Geographically anyway. e: I mean it's closer than Toulon :can:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Priestland? Wtf? I thought they all had to be based in Wales.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

tarbrush posted:

Priestland? Wtf? I thought they all had to be based in Wales.

His hairdresser is probably based in Wales?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does his mam still live there?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

SCOTLAND SQUAD FOR THE 2016 RBS 6 NATIONS Going to disappoint us all again.

- FORWARDS -
Hooker
Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 94 caps
Pat MacArthur (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps

Front-row
Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 52 caps
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) - uncapped
Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs) – 29 caps
Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps
Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped

Lock
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps
Richie Gray (Castres) – 51 caps
Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
Back-row
Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
John Barclay (Scarlets) – 45 caps
Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 15 caps
David Denton (Bath) – 32 caps
Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps
Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps

- BACKS -
Scrum-half
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps
Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 46 caps

Stand-off
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors) – 21 caps

Centre
Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 14 caps
Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 33 caps
Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 12 caps

Wing
Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 101 caps
Sean Maitland (London Irish) – 20 caps
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 22 caps
Tim Visser (Harlequins) – 23 caps

Full-back
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps) – 27 caps

- TRAINING WITH THE SQUAD -
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps

John Barclay is back, we'll see if he ever plays and Ryan Wilson is out though apparently this was before he supposedly grabbed someone's junk in the Saints game. Tim Swinson is in the squad though he punched someone in the Saints game so can't see him making it to the 6N. It's good to see Fagerson in the squad, he turned 20 today and has played really well for Glasgow over the last year or so so hopefully he'll get some good experience out of this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I really want to see more of Sam Hidalgo-Clyne in this 6 Nations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hoping Laidlaw finally gives in and headbutts someone?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Hoping Laidlaw finally gives in and headbutts someone?

Next time he falls asleep behind a ruck we can stretcher him off for a nap and let Sam on.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I really want to see more of Sam Hidalgo-Clyne in this 6 Nations.

If he can get his kicking percentage up a little and a bit better at communication, he'd likely be the starting scrum half already. Hopefully he gets more game time this year.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Good-looking Scottish squad. This time most years I'm expecting them to take a bit of a kicking, but this year...

Oh God it's happening. I'm expecting something from the Scots

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

Oh God it's happening. I'm expecting something from the Scots

It looks promising on paper, but there's a lot of inexperience there, and when it comes to closing out games or keeping discipline under pressure, I don't think Finn Russell and Greig Laidlaw are the calm and experienced leaders those young forwards need to look upto. Laidlaw is usually the first to lose the plot :{

I think it's going to be another year of neutrals trying to get behind them, for that classic rugby moment of "OH poo poo SCOTLAND ARE FINALLY GOING TO BEAT THIS TEAM I HAT.. oh" :{

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I do love watching Greig but he does always run the risk of getting himself a yellow card. It'd be great if it was him vs Hartley as captains in the first game - we'd need a sweep on who got booked first.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

It looks promising on paper, but there's a lot of inexperience there, and when it comes to closing out games or keeping discipline under pressure, I don't think Finn Russell and Greig Laidlaw are the calm and experienced leaders those young forwards need to look upto. Laidlaw is usually the first to lose the plot :{

I think it's going to be another year of neutrals trying to get behind them, for that classic rugby moment of "OH poo poo SCOTLAND ARE FINALLY GOING TO BEAT THIS TEAM I HAT.. oh" :{

I would rather see Ford back as Captain and have Hildago-Clyne and Russell as my half-back partnership.

If there's one thing Scotland always delivers it's failure to deliver on potential, I just hope we can beat Italy this year.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Tyma posted:

I can't say I've ever thought of Laidlaw as a hot head. If anything he's too cool and methodical in his play. Sometimes you want a bit more chaos from a 9.

Russell can be a good leader for Scotland because he's uniquely self-confident among the squad. He actually believes he is good, even when he makes mistakes or the team is losing. It's very un-Scottish.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Painkiller posted:

He actually believes he is good, even when he makes mistakes or the team is losing. It's very un-Scottish.

Townsend 2.0

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Can't say I've ever thought of Laidlaw as being particularly yellow cardable, it might be Jim Hamilton people are thinking of?

I'd prefer seeing Hidalgo-Clyne and Russel together, they're a much better attacking option and both are pretty solid tacklers. The big worry for me is that a load of the players (Visser, Bennett, Strauss, Dickinson) are currently injured and might not be available to play in the first couple of games where it's really important to get consistency.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 20, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's mouthy as all hell, and sometimes he tries to start fights with people a foot taller than him.

Like every other scrum half, only moreso.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

He's mouthy as all hell, and sometimes he tries to start fights with people a foot taller than him.

Like every other scrum half, only moreso.

Is this while playing for Gloucester? Because I'd actually like to see him do that for Scotland instead of his usual glacial pace and boring demeanor.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vagabundo posted:

I wonder how long it'll be before Tyma comes into this thread and demands to know who gave him his avatar.

I think it's broken him. In his Wales squad post, he's included the locks as part of the back row, and the centres in the back three.
I don't know why Gatland is still picking Priestland over Patchell. Playing in England hasn't stopped him being useless.
On a positive note, Chris Ashton is banned for 10 weeks, so we wont have to risk seeing him spending the whole tournament flapping his hands at the ref.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

stavros880 posted:

I think it's broken him. In his Wales squad post, he's included the locks as part of the back row, and the centres in the back three.

THEY ALL STAND IN A ZIG-ZAG LINE!

This is what loving broke me :

No ammount of Owain Pharell can be as painful as the 480 hours of Gareth Anscombe and Liam Williams I have to look forward to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vaders Jester posted:

Is this while playing for Gloucester? Because I'd actually like to see him do that for Scotland instead of his usual glacial pace and boring demeanor.

He's very rarely even called for it, his chirping (grumbling) probably just isn't threatening enough.

He really does need to speed up his distribution, he spends so long at the ruck looking backwards that people keep nicking the ball. Maybe he doesn't trust his back line? Maybe they don't trust him.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

No ammount of Owain Pharell can be as painful as the 480 hours of Gareth Anscombe and Liam Williams I have to look forward to.

Don't forget Cuthbert :dance:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Tyma posted:

THEY ALL STAND IN A ZIG-ZAG LINE!

This is what loving broke me :

At least you can go watch rugby at all! Here in the USA the only game we're going to get is Saracens vs Leicester, which is a) in New York, so a 10-hour drive or several hundred $$$ plane flight away, and b) between two teams I strongly dislike and who can't both lose.

Oh and also Ireland vs ABs in Chicago this Autumn, neither of which is the USA Eagles and thus I can't really be arsed to sit in the cold stadium having to take 10-minute bathroom breaks every 20 minutes and miss half the drat match like I did in 2014.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

That Guy Who Didn't Understand The Rules has been banned for 14 weeks for his contribution to the Ospreys vs Clermont game.

"He didn't punch me THAT hard"

"I don't know, sorry!"

The genuine highlight of that match was the crowd treating him like a pantomime villain.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 20, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
14 weeks is a lot, but he's obviously a complete pillock.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

Due to Kolelishvili's immediate apology to the referee, his subsequent remorse, guilty plea and good conduct at the hearing. He was imposed a suspension of 14 weeks.

He's apparantly not a complete pillock, because the entry point for Law 10.4 (m) Physical abuse of match officials is 96 weeks o.O

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, twenty-four four-week months would have been closer to discrimination against the developmentally disadvantaged.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
10 week ban for Ashton. No 6 nations for him.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Ireland sqauad:

Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster, captain), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Rob Herring (Ulster), Sean Cronin (Leinster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), James Cronin (Munster), Ultan Dillane (Connacht), Nathan White (Connacht), Marty Moore (Leinster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), CJ Stander (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Tommy O'Donnell (Munster), Josh van der Flier (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster).

Backs: Conor Murray (Munster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Kieron Marmion (Connacht), Jonny Sexton (Leinster), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Jared Payne (Ulster), Stuart McCloskey (Ulster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Keith Earls (Munster), Dave Kearney (Leinster), Andrew Trimble (Ulster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), Simon Zebo (Munster).

4 uncapped players and a lot of senior players missing adds a bit of excitement and mystery, like who will replace POC? Do we have any fit wingers left? Is joe still recovering from that shaming from the Argies?

I don't know but I'm excited. Happy to see Rory Best get the captaincy, some exciting players getting a chance like McCloskey and van der Flier too could bolster a squad that looked a bit lacking at the world cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

He's very rarely even called for it, his chirping (grumbling) probably just isn't threatening enough.

He really does need to speed up his distribution, he spends so long at the ruck looking backwards that people keep nicking the ball. Maybe he doesn't trust his back line? Maybe they don't trust him.

Yeah, he's always been slow. He's really good at directing his players and he can usually read the game pretty well but his speed from the ruck is loving awful.