Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Hihohe posted:

Do elves still tell you to stop Chopping down trees? Cuz this is the only response.
:nws:cuz cursing
https://youtu.be/QNd5sOZSkH4

Pre battle speeches from TW: Warhammer looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Work continues...

:frog: posted:

So far for the next release: I fixed the exported wealth count, made dwarves stop dumping dye/flour/seed/etc. bags out into barrels improperly, allowed intelligent captives to be moved around to other cages etc. again, and stopped dwarves from claiming objects like goblets and minecarts that you need to use around the fort. They should also store owned objects a little better. You can view the travel map in adventure mode even when you can't travel. I fixed a problem causing certain sites with underground layers to be disconnected from the surface.

In other related news, PC Gamer included Dwarf Fortress in its list of "the 50 most important PC games of all time."

PC Gamer posted:

Why it's important: Proof that on PC there’s no such thing as ‘too hardcore’. NASA has less complicated simulations than this, a game so ludicrously complicated that cats splashed with booze can be poisoned when they try to lick themselves clean.

[...]

There's no game that's as ambitious or, seemingly, humble. It's creators subsist on community donations and deepen their simulation year after year with little fanfare and no end in sight. It's hard to imagine another PC game ever matching, much less exceeding, the complexity of Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress.
:unsmith:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I just realized I don't have sand on my embark. I need the sand to make the glass corkscrews that gets put in the screw pumps that pumps the magma so I can finally forge stuff without using up all my wood. Now I have to make the corkscrews out of either nethercap wood(which is guarded by serpent men) or out of metal which will use up twice as much charcoal as the glass would've. I could potentially solve that by making the forge way way down at the bottom where the magma is but that is incredibly inefficient considering my dwarves live up top. Can't be worse than using up all my possible wood just to make some goddamned corkscrews.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lareine posted:

I just realized I don't have sand on my embark. I need the sand to make the glass corkscrews that gets put in the screw pumps that pumps the magma so I can finally forge stuff without using up all my wood. Now I have to make the corkscrews out of either nethercap wood(which is guarded by serpent men) or out of metal which will use up twice as much charcoal as the glass would've. I could potentially solve that by making the forge way way down at the bottom where the magma is but that is incredibly inefficient considering my dwarves live up top. Can't be worse than using up all my possible wood just to make some goddamned corkscrews.

Do you have a working marksdwarves squad and some spare miners?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just build a whole new fortress down at the bottom! Simple!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Do you have a working marksdwarves squad and some spare miners?

I could probably manage but there are a shitload of them and someone's probably going to have to die to do it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lareine posted:

It really isn't. A vertical stair down will be like 30 blocks. It's probably more than 30 blocks between your bedrooms and main dining room.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

Just build a whole new fortress down at the bottom! Simple!
I second this motion. Who needs pumps when you can just make a 3x3 stairwell straight down to the magma forges? All you need to do then is ensure that the ores and bars are stored down there, which is a fairly easy thing to do, especially if you do your ore mining down there. Otherwise you can create drop shafts to toss your ore or bars down from the surface area where you have your depot and main residential areas (Though you may want to move them deeper).

Hell, once you find/pump water down there to irrigate a few excavated caverns you can move your agriculture down there and tell the surface world to piss off entirely.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Never not 0/100 tunnel density/cave openness. Humans build villages in the surface. Dwarves build them in the caves!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Never not 0/100 tunnel density/cave openness. Humans build villages in the surface. Dwarves build them in the caves!

Then periodically come to the surface to vomit on caravans and drown them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then periodically come to the surface to vomit on caravans and drown them.

I like to make a 5x wide tunnel with ramps that goes deep into the earth. None of it's trapped and anyone who wants to enter my fortress has to brave whatever is out on the surface to reach it :kheldragar:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ehh, they uhh, they uh might have already compiled an unofficial Windows pile of DFHack and TWBT for 42.05??? And it appears to be working?!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

What the gently caress did I just watch?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kenlon posted:

A goon's obsession with hurting elves that over time went from a funny joke into "dude, this is starting to look like a fetish" land.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kenlon posted:

The elves' terms for limits on tree cutting were rejected.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
I hosed up.

I wanted a well in my hospital so I dug a shaft next to a stream and then dug a tunnel that goes from the bottom of the shaft to the tile that is directly beneath the well. The thing is that the well is built on a slope and now the hospital is flooded and the tiles around the well are 7/7 so my dwarves don't want to go near the well.

Any suggestions?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Construct a small tower over top of the flooded area and put the well in the tower.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not the slope. Water pressure exists in the game, and if you just use water from the river without any obstacles like floodgates and stuff, it's going to try to flow up to the level of the river.

There's a specific exploit you can use to avoid this from happening again: Going through a diagonal passage depressurizes water, and it won't flow above the level it was depressurized on.

As for your flooded hospital, it is now a lake. Build a well on top of it. :v:
e: The above suggestion is a joke, by the way, for obvious reasons.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 20, 2016

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

If you really really want to reclaim your flooded hospital, you can build a number of wind-powered pumps upstream and temporarily drain the river to the point that you can plug the channel and try again. Just make sure those pumps have somewhere to drain to so they don't flood something else.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lareine posted:

I could probably manage but there are a shitload of them and someone's probably going to have to die to do it.

No no no.
Are they in a completely open area or are they near any pillars you could hollow out and convert into pillboxes to shoot them from?

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Thanks for the help!

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Lareine posted:

Nah dude. Serpent men may not even be hostile to your dwarves. I bet if you move a squad near them they'll flee rather than fight.

Even if they do fight a squad of 10 marksdwarves with leather armor should be able to take them out easily.... Also why are you concerned about a death? Send some dwarves from your newest wave to die wrestling them. Repeat again as necessary with new waves of expendable recruits.

It's first come first promoted up in this bitch. Find the dwarves that have the highest skills in the specific areas you need. Press gang anyone else into squads. Send them in to fight something. Any survivors get equipped with weapons and armor and the privilege to train.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

TheCIASentMe posted:

Nah dude. Serpent men may not even be hostile to your dwarves. I bet if you move a squad near them they'll flee rather than fight.

Even if they do fight a squad of 10 marksdwarves with leather armor should be able to take them out easily.... Also why are you concerned about a death? Send some dwarves from your newest wave to die wrestling them. Repeat again as necessary with new waves of expendable recruits.

It's first come first promoted up in this bitch. Find the dwarves that have the highest skills in the specific areas you need. Press gang anyone else into squads. Send them in to fight something. Any survivors get equipped with weapons and armor and the privilege to train.

They are listed in the unit screen as Hostile though you are right that they are likely to flee. I'm just not at the point where dwarves are disposable yet though I'm rapidly getting there thanks to Migrant Waves sending me Soapers. I could try to dig out to them and plink them to death through fortifications. I kind of forgot that was even an option.

Speaking of death, I've only had one so far. A dwarf just up and dying in the dining room in front of everybody. No injuries, no vampires. Just dead. It's really a shame that the system doesn't really allow you to investigate these things thoroughly after death.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Met posted:

Aquifers should just be removed. We have underground tunnels now which provide water and the same tunnels make a Z-level roadblock that's much more fun to work around.

Are you referring to the tunnels that form during worldgen between dwarven settlements? I've never built over one of those but I should. Can you enable seeing them during site selection in vanilla DF or do you need a mod?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

reading posted:

Are you referring to the tunnels that form during worldgen between dwarven settlements? I've never built over one of those but I should. Can you enable seeing them during site selection in vanilla DF or do you need a mod?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Every site in the world has caves now, just like they all have magma.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Every site in the world has caves now, just like they all have magma.

Right. Now Aquifers are redundant. They've always been unfun anyhow.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
As someone that hasn't played since 2012, what are the new things I need to do to protect my fps? I only know of deforesting the surface?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Right. Now Aquifers are redundant. They've always been unfun anyhow.
Unless your water is bordering the edge of the map, it is a finite source. I like having aquifers because I enjoy punching multiple holes in them for different purposes (Pillbox watchtowers, dropping a segment of a sand layer all the way to magma forges, etc). Plus they make a fantastic and ready source of water for drowning traps.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I like rivers. They have a source of shells. Also an infinite source of water without having to deal with aquifers.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It is possible, though very unlikely, to generate caverns that don't have any water. They also won't have mud and associated underground plants aside from blood thorns.

I always put the minimum cavern water parameter up to about 10% for that reason. No water sucks, a lot. Too much water is bad in the other way.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Lareine posted:

I like rivers. They have a source of shells. Also an infinite source of water without having to deal with aquifers.

Yeah when I first learned to play my tutorial told me to always embark next to a river

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Something really bizzare just happened.

I saved my game just as a Goblin Invasion arrived. I just loaded it up to fight them off, only to realize my population had dropped from 100 to 6. I unpaused for a few seconds, then paused again. A solitary dwarven child remained.
Unpause for a few more seconds and my fortress falls.

100 Dwarves just up and vanished into the either after unpausing a save game.

I'm a version behind, but that was really weird. Time to update and start a new world I think.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you still have the save before it crumbled, send it to the bug tracker. That's weird as hell.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Grey Hunter posted:

I saved my game just as a Goblin Invasion arrived. I just loaded it up to fight them off, only to realize my population had dropped from 100 to 6. I unpaused for a few seconds, then paused again. A solitary dwarven child remained.

I'm a version behind, but that was really weird. Time to update and start a new world I think.

Toady must have snuck goblin ninjas into this update.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

Have you possibly been researching Dwemer artifacts?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

it's starting to get a bit ridiculous how many visitors I'm getting now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

So uh is there a way to stop dwarves from spending every waking moment in the bar

Kinda puts a damper on me having taverns

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

So uh is there a way to stop dwarves from spending every waking moment in the bar

Kinda puts a damper on me having taverns
Sounds like it is working as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A lesbian couple in anguish after both of them suffer almost simultaneous miscarriages, one mopes around until starvation looms. She hunts down a rat and eats it. Then she is cheered up by a wave of relief after being forced to eat vermin to survive.

:psydwarf: