Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kyle did have that first-round bye idea, which was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

I'm so glad I ditched this shithole sport lmao

Oh my god I loving quit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Seriously I think a fun new rule would be "the champion can make up a new rule and nascar has to do it for at least 1 year"

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
https://youtu.be/TeAuQ2Xem4Q?t=39s

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I was in one of the discussions when they were first thinking about the caution clock and their rationale was literally "we already throw debris cautions when things get boring but that's shady so let's just codify the poo poo into the rule book"

I wish I was kidding

The logical thing to do would be to fix the racing so things don't get boring. Unfortunately NASCAR isn't capable of doing that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Pretty much stopped watching after going to Michigan, rip NASCAR. Where's the guy that defends everything NASCAR does?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

daslog posted:

The logical thing to do would be to fix the racing so things don't get boring. Unfortunately NASCAR isn't capable of doing that.

Ah yes the magical "I want close racing without the drawbacks of spec cars" post

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

NASCAR is a fine thing to watch until the baseball season starts.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch posted:

lol if you ever say a race is boring

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elitist Bitch posted:

Pitchers and catchers report before Daytona.

:agreed:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Uncle Jam posted:

Pretty much stopped watching after going to Michigan, rip NASCAR. Where's the guy that defends everything NASCAR does?
Sitting with Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon in the FOX TV booth?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

Ah yes the magical "I want close racing without the drawbacks of spec cars" post

Ever watch a modified race at NHIS? It can be done

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
The caution clock is dumb, but read that it only would have come into play like 8 times last season anyway.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh, praise Rowdy for reducing his schedule so he'll bitchslap the field in Xfinity only half the time now. Maybe this will be a modicum less of terrible.

I'd be willing to lay down money this is something NASCAR has asked him to do.

My guess is that this was in the cards once his Monster Energy commitments were finished. He'll be splitting the 18 with Kenseth, Hamlin, and whoever brings a check.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

daslog posted:

plate racing is stupid even when it's good

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Sitting with Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon in the FOX TV booth?

I distinctly remember Larry and even DW hating something out loud last year. You know you done screwed up when even Ol' DW is like "I...beg to differ with what I am seeing on the racetrack.".

e- NASCAR has dumped the names for each round of the Chase, replacing them with Round of 16/12/8/Championship 4. What an improvement! I've completely forgotten about the plethora of terrible announced yesterday.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 20, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They were calling out the CoT's wing during the rash of flips, too

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

daslog posted:

No spec there, when 80% are running a Troyer chassis with nascar-spec engine.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

No spec there, when 80% are running a Troyer chassis with nascar-spec engine.

http://www.ryr.com/nascar-spec-engine/

crate engines are the hallmarks of an engineer's series

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

daslog posted:

Modifieds are spec, what the gently caress.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jim Noble is saying for the four NXS races with heats (Bristol, Richmond, Indy, Dover), if you crash during the heat, you won't run the main event. Backup cars can only be used until the green flag of the heat.

:psyboom:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jim Noble is saying for the four NXS races with heats (Bristol, Richmond, Indy, Dover), if you crash during the heat, you won't run the main event. Backup cars can only be used until the green flag of the heat.

:psyboom:

Honestly that makes sense to me.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

Modifieds are spec, what the gently caress.
Modifieds are an unwritten soec, where you could run anything but only stand a chance in winning with one possible combo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Modifieds are an unwritten soec, where you could run anything but only stand a chance in winning with one possible combo.

Just to add to this, we were just talking about this and Boomer and I came to the conclusion it's mostly Troyer Chevy's. Honestly, if you click that crate link I posted it should be pretty telling that RYR is making LS based engines.

Also, at like every dirt race I've been to, if you wreck in the heat you obviously don't make the main. Only time this doesn't happen is if there's less cars than the starting field, which only ever happens at OCFS when the Outlaws are there. They start 24 and we've had 24 410's show up, so if you wreck in the heat you tag the back in a backup. I have zero issues with this part because they don't let you get a backup if you wreck in the first 50 laps of a race last year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Muddy Burphy posted:

Honestly that makes sense to me.

I'm torn. It does makes sense since they're qualifying races, but there's something that feels wrong about the chance of no insurance for a contender getting Goodyear'd and DNQing.

That said, everybody's just going to keep their nose clean in these, aren't they?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't think they can keep their noses clean because I don't think the feature race includes the whole field.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm torn. It does makes sense since they're qualifying races, but there's something that feels wrong about the chance of no insurance for a contender getting Goodyear'd and DNQing.

That said, everybody's just going to keep their nose clean in these, aren't they?

I haven't looked at all the details, but I'd be shocked if there are no provisionals.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

What we have is spec racing without the advantages of close racing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

What we have is spec racing without the advantages of close racing.

irrelevant because the point is the only way to "fix the racing" without doing what NASCAR did or other dumb gimmicks is to make the cars IROC 2.0

the real problem is most fans can't just accept that sometimes a race is poo poo, it happens.... that's why when there IS a good race, it's good

if 43 guys have equal cars to the point that no one can run from anyone that's not really a race

PS don't anyone loving give me poo poo about driving ability in a spec car because no one has reached NASCAR based on driving ability alone in 30 loving years

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

PS don't anyone loving give me poo poo about driving ability in a spec car because no one has reached NASCAR based on driving ability alone in 30 loving years

Dale Earnhardt. :catstare:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Ryan Newman *drops mic*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Dale Earnhardt. :catstare:

1979 RotY

Ryan Newman *drops mic*

Dude is a vehicular engineer who got noticed after his dad paved his way to national midgets for him. While I'll agree that he had to make it the rest of the way, he was one of the first of the "holy poo poo that sprint car guy in the 20 looks fast hire all sprinters" guys

pnut had it right in that I'm talking a guy who through sheer determination and grit gets noticed against all odds driving a shitbox because he's fast. Hasn't happened in many moons. I'd almost give someone Kulwicki but his engineering know how and business acumen are what made him stand out.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 20, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
funnily enough the guy who actually was the best driving talent of the last 30-35 years was told he had to make the jump because his mom was gonna divorce his dad if they kept funding his Indycar career

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol Boomer tossed the name to me and I looked it up, loving Edwards used to show up at a track begging for rides and handing out business cards until Roush saw him

so there's at least one, c'mon guys really make me look like an rear end in a top hat here there's gotta be more

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Me, once my indoor go-karting career takes off. You'll all see...

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There's few drivers who have reached the elite levels of NASCAR based on driving talent alone within the last 10 years.

There were plenty of drivers who reached moderate levels of success, or the bottom rung of the Cup series, based on driving talent and moving through the ranks.

And then there's Chad Little.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

lol Boomer tossed the name to me and I looked it up, loving Edwards used to show up at a track begging for rides and handing out business cards until Roush saw him

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

He looks exactly the same, what the gently caress

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
smug is timeless

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

if 43 guys have equal cars to the point that no one can run from anyone that's not really a race

that's kind of the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Alain Post posted:

that's kind of the point

They're "fixing" it so now there's only 40 guys with equal cars.

• Locked thread