Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If they want your opinion on penguins, say something like "They're kinda neat to look at at the zoo I guess, I'm not super into birds."

I guess they've had problems with people who are REALLY into penguins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

Stupid degree requirement. I will never understand why places want you to have a computer science degree to be an admin. "Can you set up a router?" "No, but I can tell you all about big O notation!"
People mistakenly think that computer science is about computers.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Hi, yes. Our current Irridium based network is 1.5Mb/s roughly 4hrs/day please do your needful during our uptime window

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

Stupid degree requirement. I will never understand why places want you to have a computer science degree to be an admin. "Can you set up a router?" "No, but I can tell you all about big O notation!"

Yeah, that's weird for that level of experience. It may be an HR policy or something along those lines.

Most listings that have a degree requirement I've seen usually have "...or equivalent work experience" or something. I've been doing this since my early 20s and I still don't have a BS/BA. I may one day, but it hasn't really impacted my career or salary. In fact, I'm due to move into a new position as soon as all the ink dries (we're creating a new group in my dept.). So far I've been fortunate in that I keep landing interesting and challenging jobs.

I'm really looking forward to it, I'll be back 100% in my preferred role, security engineer. I'll basically be the dept SME for info-sec and supervising/ad hoc T3 for the SOC. I'll still be involved in back-end and customer architecture, but more with a focus on security and network hardening and directing incident response. There's the less glamorous stuff like audits and policy/KB creation, but I'm excited.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A lot of companies are looking for portfolios now as a replacement for a degree if you don't have one. At least in the coding world.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Yeah, that's weird for that level of experience. It may be an HR policy or something along those lines.

Most listings that have a degree requirement I've seen usually have "...or equivalent work experience" or something. I've been doing this since my early 20s and I still don't have a BS/BA. I may one day, but it hasn't really impacted my career or salary. In fact, I'm due to move into a new position as soon as all the ink dries (we're creating a new group in my dept.). So far I've been fortunate in that I keep landing interesting and challenging jobs.

I'm really looking forward to it, I'll be back 100% in my preferred role, security engineer. I'll basically be the dept SME for info-sec and supervising/ad hoc T3 for the SOC. I'll still be involved in back-end and customer architecture, but more with a focus on security and network hardening and directing incident response. There's the less glamorous stuff like audits and policy/KB creation, but I'm excited.

I've had multiple HR people call me about jobs I applied for saying "It's not clear from your resume; do you have a degree?"

And I say "No, I have several relevant certificates from accredited schools and I have most of the credit hours for an associate's. I just never finished the degree."

The reply is "This position requires a degree." [hang up]

These are for network admin jobs.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

KillHour posted:

I've had multiple HR people call me about jobs I applied for saying "It's not clear from your resume; do you have a degree?"

And I say "No, I have several relevant certificates from accredited schools and I have most of the credit hours for an associate's. I just never finished the degree."

The reply is "This position requires a degree." [hang up]

These are for network admin jobs.

Gotta fill that checkbox.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If they want your opinion on penguins, say something like "They're kinda neat to look at at the zoo I guess, I'm not super into birds."

I guess they've had problems with people who are REALLY into penguins.

"Well I was told jackass penguins can bite a human finger clean off."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NeuralSpark posted:

Gotta fill that checkbox.

If I ever am in the position to hire somebody for an HR position, and they say "I'm REALLY good at following procedures." I'm going to hire them. And put them in the shipping department. :fuckoff:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

If I ever am in the position to hire somebody for an HR position, and they say "I'm REALLY good at following procedures." I'm going to hire them. And put them in the shipping department. :fuckoff:

If you're in that position you could also just tell them to drop the degree requirement

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you're in that position you could also just tell them to drop the degree requirement

My point is that nobody in a position with more power than a warehouse worker should be making decisions exclusively by following a set procedure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you get people to look at your resume / cover letter past the line that says you're living out of state? I've applied to maybe 30 jobs in the past week and a half, and haven't heard anything back yet from anyone. Someone put me in touch with a Robert Half recruiter, and he said that a lot of places are looking specifically for local candidates. And it's not like I can move down there and try to find a job ASAP, because no leasing office is going to accept people with no income.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you get people to look at your resume / cover letter past the line that says you're living out of state? I've applied to maybe 30 jobs in the past week and a half, and haven't heard anything back yet from anyone. Someone put me in touch with a Robert Half recruiter, and he said that a lot of places are looking specifically for local candidates. And it's not like I can move down there and try to find a job ASAP, because no leasing office is going to accept people with no income.

Don't put your address on your resume.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh. Okay. I wish I had thought of that before I applied to all of the good jobs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh. Okay. I wish I had thought of that before I applied to all of the good jobs.

Reapply. If they threw out your resume after reading your address, they don't remember you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have a friend or relative in that area whose address you can use? In the past I've done that with success or on a visit down got a PO box that you can use as the address. You just put the post offices address and then say box whatever or apartment whatever and list your box number. Then when you start getting calls and they want you to come in for an interview you tell them that you are finishing up a work contract and will be done by X date. So if they do happen to hire you its no big deal because you already live down there permanently anyway! Basically make it clear that you being out of town wont affect your ability to be there on time day 1 when they want you to start.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Ugh, interviewing people for a junior position is the worst, half the candidates don't know poo poo and the other half have 20 years experience and are somehow applying for a junior job

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh, interviewing people for a junior position is the worst, half the candidates don't know poo poo and the other half have 20 years experience and are somehow applying for a junior job

Blame HR. Also the job market for IT is poo poo right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

Still booming in DFW, sorry bro.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

KillHour posted:

In Vancouver it absolutely is, most positions are contract, very few permanent fulltime, an excess of applicants for every job, and below average salaries in a place with super high cost of living, it's a mess.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wouldn't the whole point of a junior position be to train someone who doesn't know poo poo?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I really have no excuses for not applying to a ton of jobs over the last few months. CCENT this weekend and then I'm looking hard.

SaltLick posted:

Wouldn't the whole point of a junior position be to train someone who doesn't know poo poo?

I would consider a "junior" position (assuming we're talking like Junior Sys Admin, Junior Network <whatever>, etc.) to be someone who's done a couple of years in a desktop support role, maybe knows a little scripting, some familiarity with AD, knows the difference between a switch and a router, etc. Not a clueless "what is a computer" person, but not someone that you're not quite ready to hand over full administration duties to.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 20, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

SaltLick posted:

A basic level of knowledge is still required, especially as we require related education in the job description (yes, I realize the hate boner this thread has for degree requirements and idgaf).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Guess you found the cause of your problem then, didn't you. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

My last call was someone missing a printer driver. I don't have rights to install it for them and I had to escalate. :suicide:

Edit: The team I escalate to doesn't have those rights either. I'm that low on the totem pole.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I really have no excuses for not applying to a ton of jobs over the last few months. CCENT this weekend and then I'm looking hard.

I would consider a "junior" position (assuming we're talking like Junior Sys Admin, Junior Network <whatever>, etc.) to be someone who's done a couple of years in a desktop support role, maybe knows a little scripting, some familiarity with AD, knows the difference between a switch and a router, etc. Not a clueless "what is a computer" person, but not someone that you're not quite ready to hand over full administration duties to.

Someone at that level is "not quite ready" for full administration? poo poo; by that metric, I should be a senior architect.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 20, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

Someone at that level is "not quite ready" for full administration? poo poo; by that metric, I should be a senior architect.

Yeah, I guess my bar is pretty low and those examples were bad. Anyway, insert the understanding you'd want a semi-ambitious tech to have after a couple of years? :shrug:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Anybody here doing SSL Proxy (DPI-SSL, or any other enterprise-sanctioned MITM Attack) to scan users' Internet traffic? What are you doing now that Certificate Pinning is making that security requirement obsolete/broken?

We're being told to "Just whitelist the affected sites"... like *.google.com. Might as well turn the damned thing off if this is where the world is going.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CLAM DOWN posted:

A basic level of knowledge is still required, especially as we require related education in the job description (yes, I realize the hate boner this thread has for degree requirements and idgaf).

No one is hating against education related to work, just mindless requirements of a degree of any sort that bring absolutely nothing to the table.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

KillHour posted:

We're having trouble finding qualified candidates here in Dayton, OH. We've got 4 or 5 spots open for server technicians, and the resumes that keep coming in are loads of hilarity. Previous contender was from someone who had "extensive experience with both small and large servers" and "paid close attention to detail" (but had random mis-spellings and letters capitalized in weird spots). This week's contenders are both line cooks from Texas Roadhouse and Logan's Steakhouse. Team lead said one of them was going to school for his Associate's degree and should be finished sometime later this year. I think they actually have a shot at a position if they can interview well.

The team lead has since revised his standards down to "has a pulse", "is not a flaming idiot", and "can understand and follow instructions". The reason for the shortage is that our Exchange team keeps snagging server techs and promoting them to Jr Exchange Admins and bumping their pay by like $10-15k. I can't really blame the guys, it's a lot of money and I did it myself (but I got a $29k raise out of it), but the uncertainty of whether there's going to be a Messaging team in 6-7 months has got to be a consideration.

Anyone want to do DoD contracting? We'll throw in a Secret security clearance and give you one of the easiest jobs in the world - 7 hours of monotony staring at whatever news website you care to visit (or reading cert study guides, or whatever the hell you want, but no Youtube), and 1 hour of actually walking around recording temperature, humidity, and voltage readings in the server farm - maybe a half hour if you walk fast. If you're really a go-getter, we'll even throw in running a script to check the status of the AV on our servers. If you're unlucky, you'll actually have to reinstall the agent on a few machines (which involves an extensive 5-minute process, 4 minutes of which are waiting). If you want to break into IT, or switch from the private sector and need a security clearance, we can help!

Pay is around $32-35k, plus full benefits. No 401k matching, however.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

20 Years Experience doing what?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Vancouver it absolutely is, most positions are contract, very few permanent fulltime, an excess of applicants for every job, and below average salaries in a place with super high cost of living, it's a mess.

Curious, how is the Pacific Northwest for IT positions at the moment?

(Not Development)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tab8715 posted:

(Not Development)

In Portland, it's decent:

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sad

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Just be prepared for Portland. It's a special place.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Tab8715 posted:

20 Years Experience doing what?

Everything from "senior architect" to network engineer

Tab8715 posted:

Vancouver is going to be different from the american pacific northwest region for sure, I can't comment on Seattle/Portland/etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Anybody here doing SSL Proxy (DPI-SSL, or any other enterprise-sanctioned MITM Attack) to scan users' Internet traffic? What are you doing now that Certificate Pinning is making that security requirement obsolete/broken?

We're being told to "Just whitelist the affected sites"... like *.google.com. Might as well turn the damned thing off if this is where the world is going.

Turn it off and enforce stuff at the endpoint if you have a requirement for doing it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Thanks Ants posted:

Turn it off and enforce stuff at the endpoint if you have a requirement for doing it.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I enforce traffic scanning at the endpoint-level? You mean with a DLP Agent and anti-virus, yeah?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Colonial Air Force posted:

Just be prepared for Portland. It's a special place.

Great beer scene, legal weed, good public transit, tons of poo poo to do outdoors, and the Portlandia hipster culture is vastly overstated. That said, the traffic sucks and the housing costs are getting dumb, don't move here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Literally the first link on that page is a QA lead position in Bend [which is over 150 miles away]

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I enforce traffic scanning at the endpoint-level? You mean with a DLP Agent and anti-virus, yeah?

Yeah basically. We've resigned ourselves to moving what was originally done on the endpoint and then moved into the network back onto the endpoint as either you end up breaking everything or like you found out you have to whitelist so much stuff that it becomes pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

As I understood it if you have a proxy configured (say via a PAC file) then your browser ignores the pin. For example Charles works for me with my personal CA sniffing Google traffic.