Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

EthanSteele posted:

Oh he would still be in it! Mind Scanning entire planets and puppet mastering anyone he found. The limiting factor beyond burn out and "how large is a VU anyway?" would be "it's dull if one dude does everything" so it would be a good one time trick.

Oh yeah that's a perfectly valid use of a choir, it's actually real handy for investigations and other things. Just be aware that other psykers can detect the use of abilities - normally just within their perception area but w/exceptional use of a choir you might light up like crazy depending on your GM. Natural blanks and blunts in the population may also interfere with long range use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
RT has the issue where having iconic parts of a starship crew be NPC only would've caused grog rage but having them have no business on an away team is also an oversight.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wait, is it possible for an Astropath to go on adventures by just assuming direct control of some grunt?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If Deathstalker books taught me anything is that anyone with ESP powers certainly has business in an away team

So that they would freak out from the visions the alien location is giving him and kill himself/meet a gruesome death

Starship Trooper The Book Grade ("I don't need no suit or protection on alien planets") ESPs don't count

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Think of psykers as expensive canaries. Has your psyker started gibbering while blood pours from their eyes? Excellent, you're headed towards Profit (or Prophet, either way really)!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

Think of psykers as expensive canaries. Has your psyker started gibbering while blood pours from their eyes? Excellent, you're headed towards Profit (or Prophet, either way really)!

I love everything about this post.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Except canaries don't explode into gaping hellmaws leading to a universe of pain and insanity when they die.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Werix posted:

Except canaries don't explode into gaping hellmaws leading to a universe of pain and insanity when they die.

...most of the time!

I think using ship Choirs to infinitely stack psyker to use non-astropathic powers goes against the spirit of rules and the fluff (unless you're chaos) but I guess it's a minority opinion in comparison to what apparently goes on in RT

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

EthanSteele posted:

I'm mostly inclined to go with just stack it as much as you want and if it gets too out of control put a hard cap on it or make the choir start burning out at a higher rate rather than try to keep track of what gives best number past 10.

Just wait until next game when you guys find my ship full of psykers. And suddenly both of your ships are on fire.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, BC-era warp staff not withstanding, Rogue Trader astropaths always seemed like the "safest" psyker role in any of the 40k RPGs. They had a consistently easier time with regards to warp phenomena / perils with that extra Bound to the Emperor dice they get to roll. This in my mind's eye was counteracted by them not having near as many mind-bullets style powers compared to the other systems. Dark Heresy/DH2 always had the riskier psykers due to the lack of fettering to keep a leash on the warp instability and the generally lower power level those games start at, giving you limited options when the really gnarly poo poo started happening.

While I'm thinking about it: in Black Crusade, is any corruption gained from Phenomena/Perils counted as failure corruption?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nuggan posted:

Just wait until next game when you guys find my ship full of psykers. And suddenly both of your ships are on fire.

NoooooooOOOOOOO! So what you're saying is we need a ship with a Machine Spirit that is also an Untouchable? That's a thing that is possible, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Whole ship framed in null-rods

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

how does the navigator navigate

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Navigators have a third eye (literal) through which they can see the tides of the warp.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

hard counter posted:

Very carefully.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Iirc, there is a Rogue Trader ship component that is basically a massive computer bank that lets you forego having a navigator in order to warp travel, but you take like +10 to the chances of/roll for severity on hitting weird warp phenomena or something. My players briefly considered it, after a player decided on Genetor instead of Weirdboy, and so could no longer "Navigate", but we ended up with NPC Navigator Richard Attenborough (named for reasons I forget).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Navigators have a third eye (literal) through which they can see the tides of the warp.

And because the unstable and shifting nature of the warp, they navigate by in relation to the psychic beacon created by the Emperor sitting on the Golden Throne. That's why the Imperium feeds him 1000 psykers a day.

If the Emperor's body fails and finally dies for real, theoretically a second dark age would start because nobody would know how to actually navigate between interstellar points anymore.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

No navigator, it's all done with ancient logic engines because it's a secret mechanicus "What do we do if we need to kill the emperor?" ship

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Yeah it's a neat bit of archeotech. The fluff around it is that every navigator dynasty ever wants those things wiped from the galaxy since it threatens their lucrative monopoly.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The real way is having a sorcerer on board conferring with warp entities as to the safest route through.

Bonus points if that sorcerer is the warp entity through a good old fashioned demonic possession.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

EthanSteele posted:

NoooooooOOOOOOO! So what you're saying is we need a ship with a Machine Spirit that is also an Untouchable? That's a thing that is possible, right?

Well yours is currently part Electro-priest, and you have an Explorator who is also a psyker, so I guess if you find one that is Untouchable and transfer him into the machine spirit you could have a ship immune to psykers....

And then your Astropath is useless and so is his choir, and you can't talk to anyone...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alternatively, make friends with a Necron Phaeron and strike a deal to get your ship refitted with an Inertialess Drive (or access to their part of the Webway if you prefer). Worked fine for my players.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

truly, you either run out of fate at level 2 or you live long enough to see yourself playing black crusade

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

hard counter posted:

truly, you either run out of fate at level 2 or you live long enough to see yourself playing black crusade

There is no better way to describe the Rogue Trader game i'm running, because seriously, when your Seneschal makes a pact with Khorne and you get a bunch of Hereteks to create GENESTEALER SERVITORS for you, and the Astropath managed to 1v1 a Chaos Terminator, things start getting crazy.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Blackunknown posted:

There is no better way to describe the Rogue Trader game i'm running, because seriously, when your Seneschal makes a pact with Khorne and you get a bunch of Hereteks to create GENESTEALER SERVITORS for you, and the Astropath managed to 1v1 a Chaos Terminator, things start getting crazy.

Let's not forget the Seneschal being a complete Eldarboo, the Archmilitant in acquiring enough grenades to outfit a company and converting that to his bunk room, dodging every attack from a daemon covered in swords, the Navigator being on constant drugs and the other two shock he has 6 fate points.

A top tier Rogue Trader game if you ask me.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

hard counter posted:

Well, we've got a dark eldar crew member, a number of planets orbitally bombarded, waking up necrons, defying the inquisition, selling people into xenos slavery, blasphemy, xenotech trade, and space whales hidden in the ship...

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I now want to build a giant RT ship that is hollow, with the front end open. Why? So you can capture a void kraken inside and turn it into a living weapon.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

FireSight posted:

I now want to build a giant RT ship that is hollow, with the front end open. Why? So you can capture a void kraken inside and turn it into a living weapon.

Please do not give my players ideas. The space-whale/anti-space-whale debate is already tearing us apart.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Just lobotomize a Tyranid ship and hook some warp-drives to that space snail. As a bonus, you get a really cinematic control space. Spikes driven directly into the various brains. Probably more of an Ork thing.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You act like ork subcontractors are not a regular thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Let me be the old man yelling at warp cloud, but has anyone run a serious RT campaign that was fun? Serious as in not exploiting rules to the max, looting Tyranids and dealing with aliens that wouldn't deal with humans ever?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Sure. We ran the FFG campaign more or less as written and had a blast. There really aren't any aliens that'd refuse to do business though. I mean, some of them are going to try to kill you, but eventually they (or some faction that opposes them) will be willing to cut a deal. A big part of RT is that you're one of the few factions in-game that can realistically contemplate telling the Inquisition to go screw and get away with it for a while. Being excessively loyal to anyone else's interpretation of the Emperor's Will is a good way to ensure your profit factor stays low though. If it's legal and profitable someone else who doesn't need a Charter is already doing it.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

JcDent posted:

Let me be the old man yelling at warp cloud, but has anyone run a serious RT campaign that was fun? Serious as in not exploiting rules to the max, looting Tyranids and dealing with aliens that wouldn't deal with humans ever?

Oh definitely. You can get plenty wacky while staying withing serious-ish bounds. Like warpstorms busting past you gellar shields, for one. :kheldragar:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Imperium is a pretty hosed up place. Even staying completely within the bounds of "acceptable behaviour according to Pax", there's plenty of options for insanity to break out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

JcDent posted:

In a sense.
My dudes were capital L loyal but still developed eccentricities due to excessive wealth and access to unusual treasures. The RT, for example, after finding a legendary power sword fancied himself the nu-arthur legend and styled himself the techno-knight of space and requisitioned a lathe-wrought feudal plate set with obnoxious lumen heraldry blasting all the time. The archmilitant was already the brainiac thanks to natural rolls/career path and later added a bunch of cogitators to his skull (AM: "Scoop out the useless bits of my brain and put in bionics" EX: "Your int is 70 there are no useless bits" AM: "Then widen my skull and fill it with cogs you quack!") while spending all his free time in what amounts to the ancient library of alexandria bolted on to the ship. Eccentricities like that can still creep into the crew w/o doing descending into heresy.

They all still 'unwind' after a major campaign by burning spare/extra PF in humanitarian missions to the lower reaches of hive worlds though. "This time I get to anoint the wrenches' sores with medicae!" - something these space Flanderses would say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My two-year-old RT campaign was serious more often than not, the PCs ended up recovering a genuine Standard Template Constructor and possibly saving the entire Imperium. They did so by acquiring the corpse of Konrad Curze to trade for the STC with the Necron overlord Trazyn the Infinite, who had a lot of STCs from humanity's heyday and wanted a new centerpiece for his primarch collection.

It was a serious game in general, but it's Rogue Trader. Even the Sister of Battle was a bit crazy.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So my Dark Heresy campaign has been on hold for sometime since 2nd Ed hit, and I'm unsure if it will ever get back off the ground. That being said I've been mulling over an original campaign for some time. I like using the pregens and think they are great to build off of, wth that in mind I'd like to use them to usher the PCs into the following scenario.

After tracking whatever heretic manages to survive the PCs eventually find some sort of experimentation lab. What went on here won't be immediately clear but it will be some sort of fusion of dark age technology and sorcery. The clues will lead our heroes to a world of Ultramar, or one like it where all the things normally associated with 40K planets are gone, and local authority figures are not quick to kneel before the Inqusition since they are under direct control by whatever Space Marine chapter would be appropriate, Praetors of Orpheus, for example. Basically the campaign will revolve around our villain having created a demon that dwells within and kills via a visual medium like a pict screen. This is meant to essentially directly parrot the method by which the ghost in The Ring kills its victims, but with the added twists that our heretic plans to live broadcast the demon over the world's entire communication network killing billions instantly and allowing the demon within to ascend to greater demon status/open up the warp/create a warp storm or whatever else I decide a billion souls nets you in the demon reward guide.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Surely the only way to stop it is also travel within the pict caster and be the participants in whatever garbage they show on Imperial TV

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

They should literally Go to TV through warp fuckery like my character in a Werewolf game once did. Oh poo poo, we landed in Predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Ronwayne posted:

Surely the only way to stop it is also travel within the pict caster and be the participants in whatever garbage they show on Imperial TV

I was thinking of keeping the demon fairly weak by comparison when it manifests, the idea being a copy of it manifests only to the person viewing it, so while being weak by demon standards it can potentially exist in an infinite number of places at once depending on the number of viewers. The only way to destroy it is to destroy all media that contains its "program" so maybe we start with the clues being test copies destributed to the public. Perhaps culminating with our arch heretic planning on siphoning all the murder souls into himself at the point of broadcasting in order to become a demon prince, but I'm open to ideas.