Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
About the Ra's mission: I think Batman knew that Ra's couldn't keep living forever anyways since City, I mean after the incident with Dr. Strange it's taken a lot out of him, and I'm guessing he's been through a whole bunch of crap in the comics too...so I felt like it made sense just to destroy the Lazarus machine and put him out of his misery, the other option would've made Batman look like a total idiot, so morality wise I chose to let him die and got the more satisfying ending to his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
His parting shot made me feel a twinge that I did the wrong thing. Just a twinge, though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dogen posted:

His parting shot made me feel a twinge that I did the wrong thing. Just a twinge, though.

The other option would make you feel like a full blown idiot for picking it, so don't worry.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Speaking of Ras.....gently caress that remote batarang puzzle. Like eat a bag of ducks for wasting 15 minutes of my life.

Rest of season of infamy was pretty good tho. Too short is my only issue.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Old post but thread isn't super fast, someone said no Arkham city dlc was a let down.

yes , the story dlc was a huge 20 minute let down.

As far as this game don't have much commentary on it besides I didn't like it very much in the end.

batman was pretty however.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Self-explanatory.

Shots of the upcoming Challenge Maps pack.

January 19 for PC players, and January 26 on consoles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Those are Arkham City and Asylum locations!!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Those are Arkham City and Asylum locations!!
That was, in fact, the point of this pack series.

(Specifics)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 11, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

redbackground posted:

That was, in fact, the point of this pack series.

(Specifics)

"We ran out of good map designs for this game so let's remember them and forget about the entire release"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing Big Head Mode completely fucks my score when fighting any enemy group with a Brute -everyone looks so ridiculous I can't tell the big guys apart :v: - but man, it's weird seeing anyone with a normal sized head afterwards. It makes several scenes, especially Oracle's "death" especially hilarious. More games need stuff like that again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm binging on Asylum's challenge maps to tidy up a few achievements I still haven't got, and oh my god I'm the worst Batman. I keep failing the perfect freeflow requirements purely because I'm constantly trying to use combat abilities that don't physically exist. :negative:

Man, it's a rush coming back to the earlier games though. They've aged so well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Considering the entire series is barely 6 years old, that's not really saying much...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd pay decent money for HD re-releases of the arkham series. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Arkham City and Origins lag like a mother on my ps3 these days.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fuzz posted:

Considering the entire series is barely 6 years old, that's not really saying much...

Yikes. What's the thematic opposite of "I feel old"? I swear a lot more time has passed since Asylum came out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Does anyone know a good compilation source of easter eggs in the season of infamy maps? I've seen some really awesome individual stuff in a couple Arkham Videos, but beyond that, it's hard to track down.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yikes. What's the thematic opposite of "I feel old"? I swear a lot more time has passed since Asylum came out.

"The past few years of my life have been a living hell".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Always by 300 or 800 points. I never miss the three batarangs by a big margin. :suicide:

I forgot how thrown AC units were deadlier to my score than gun racks. Whoever decided you could counter hurled objects in City deserves a big kiss as far as I'm concerned.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I daresay it won't bother anyone, also I don't know if its global, but the EU PS store has a few bat-dolly and mobile skins for free. So glad I didn't get the season pass.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

"We ran out of good map designs for this game so let's remember them and forget about the entire release"

Are people such huge babies about this game that they'll bend over backwards to shittalk a free "greatest hits" pack? rofl this thread

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd pay decent money for HD re-releases of the arkham series. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Arkham City and Origins lag like a mother on my ps3 these days.

Didn't they announce a remaster of those before AK came out for a late 2015 release? I wonder what happened to them. Maybe Iron Galaxy was doing them

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Didn't they announce a remaster of those before AK came out for a late 2015 release?

Nope.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it was a rumour that flew around a lot but never amounted to anything. Would love an all-in-one Bat Package but it probably wouldn't be worth it for Rocksteady.

Suppose I can always dream of the four Arkham games being tied into one huge continuous experience, ala Sonic and Knuckles. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sega, please do a cross promotion where we can get a Knuckles skin for Batman. He can already glide! We can have dreadlock physics instead of cape physics!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Fedule posted:

Sega, please do a cross promotion where we can get a Knuckles skin for Batman. He can already glide! We can have dreadlock physics instead of cape physics!

New gadget: forget the electric gauntlets from Origins. Fist Metal Crackle :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Please don't put the Shock Gloves in any video game ever again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Actually they should be put in all games, including ones that have already been released.

Decided to leave the last achievement in Asylum for a while - I'm having serious trouble with the final two stealth maps which require you to defeat three goons with a single wall explosion, and three different goons with three different explosions respectively. I found them seriously annoying as it didn't feel like anything I did would improve my chances; all down to patrol routes and random chance. At least I could influence the outcome of combat maps!

Moved onto City and I'm enjoying it a ton more than I remember. Picking up on a lot of the smaller details and I've broken out of my "just kick everyone in the face" safe zone, making combat a lot more enjoyable as well. Getting 50 hit combos and x8 variation bonuses at minimum gives me a warm feeling. :3:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Decided to leave the last achievement in Asylum for a while - I'm having serious trouble with the final two stealth maps which require you to defeat three goons with a single wall explosion, and three different goons with three different explosions respectively. I found them seriously annoying as it didn't feel like anything I did would improve my chances; all down to patrol routes and random chance. At least I could influence the outcome of combat maps!

3 with one explosion is best done by downing a goon loudly in front of a breakable wall. 3 w/ 3 explosions, I believe, is best done before any of the others-they start out arranged to let you do this.

And shock gloves were terrible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
poo poo, completely overlooked the attract attention of loud takedowns.

And yeah, my problem is a goon will blunder into the explosive paste and set it off before the other two are in position. I'm kind of tempted to just go gently caress it and aim for that specific achievement on a save file without the auto-explosion, but meh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

How far off-base would I be in saying fear takedown combos were a poor addition to the game?

poptart_fairy posted:

poo poo, completely overlooked the attract attention of loud takedowns.

And yeah, my problem is a goon will blunder into the explosive paste and set it off before the other two are in position. I'm kind of tempted to just go gently caress it and aim for that specific achievement on a save file without the auto-explosion, but meh.

Ah, that's right-one of the big weaknesses that, iirc, reappeared in AO. A couple tips:

1. Autodetonate proximity is very close, so if you spray the far side of the wall from where the goon arrives, or spray it off-center, it will avoid tripping it.
2. Internet comments tell me that using spray on a floor in that room is almost impossible to make work- instead, consider throwing a sonic batarang past wall 3 and timing detonation for when a goon walks past the wall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

How far off-base would I be in saying fear takedown combos were a poor addition to the game?

I don't think they are a poor addition except in that they are entirely too easy to charge.

What they really should have done is have your other takedowns build fear. The more complex the takedown the more fear it builds. So constant upside-down takedowns generate very little but luring a dude into an environmental trap and then vanishing into a grate earns a bunch. That really emphasizes the 'fear' element, rewards the player for using different takedowns and skills, and still preserves the fun moment of doing a long fear takedown.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Agree with Imp there. I loved the Fear Takedowns as a concept - taking out an entire group in one fluid movement makes the stealth sections quicker, more fluid and a little more than involved than having to separate everyone - but they were definitely too easy to store. There's not a lot of incentive to mix things up in predator encounters and the sort of system Imp talks about would have been fantastic.

And cheers for the objective advice. :)

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Origins and Knight in someways trivialized the predator encounters through gadgets you gained. origins had the 2 free take down grapple hook and Knight the fear takedown ultimately it took player restraint from using a bit of an "I win " button. The combat generally got better with each version (apart from shock gloves) but the predator encounters I feel suffered from gadget choices. Also knight had a habit of having outdoor encounters which meant you could also swing off to safety if things got hairy. Knight also seemed that to make the game difficult it was all about adding as many brutes and medic's to an encounter. Especially later in the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I agree about the ease of charging, I'm just not sure what a good balance would be for it. It's really hard to balance around anything that's an instant takedown on any 3 enemies in roughly the same area, even before the upgrades. I preferred the older games' approaches, where you could get an equivalent effect through good use of gadgets.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
What was wrong with the shock gloves? I always found using them to bash in shield guys to be satisfying, and activating them is entirely optional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crashbee posted:

What was wrong with the shock gloves? I always found using them to bash in shield guys to be satisfying, and activating them is entirely optional.

They are optional but lazy. They just nullify any need to actually work around enemy weaknesses and let you button mash through everything and (like fear takedowns) they charge way too fast to make that feel like a well-earn high instead of an easily abusable crutch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crashbee posted:

The input commands for them are also easy to accidentally activate, at least on PC.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't like the Shock Gloves because they replace the crisp rocksteady animations with lovely shock ones someone else made. Also I played enough Arkham Combat that I became accustomed to dealing with enemies with weapons, so when I use up the gloves and hit anything and everything with armor, I skip a beat when it runs out and my great combo ends like a wet fart when i accidentally hit a guy with heavy armor or a shield.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Crashbee posted:

They're a dumb lovely "win button" that WB Montreal then uses as an excuse to throw stone-cold stupid enemy configs at you, because you can always use them as a crutch!

Discendo Vox posted:

They're good but not great. The whole "they gotta be scared before you can Fear Takedown" mechanic in A Matter of Family was cool and all, but the Fear Takedown is explicitly a way to punish goons for grouping up and a way of dealing with the massively increased number of soldiers in predator sections - adding ANOTHER level of arbitration of "also they have to be standing near this thing" kind ruins its point. It's a solution that works, but it's just not particularly elegant, and I don't think there's any meaningful way to improve upon it as is aside from introducing a different crowd-control mechanic entirely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Looks like we may be getting something April 25. That or there's some additional ARG hidden in the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It'll be a challenge map set in Blackgate. :v:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I had more fun with the Batman Doom mod then I had with the season pass. In fairness, the mod is pretty drat great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why is that mod so well acclaimed anyway? I see a ton of people falling over to praise it, but it just looks like a ton of Batarang spam. I haven't played it myself though I should point out.

• Locked thread