Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of crazy how his natural speaking voice is absolutely nothing like his character on Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So Netflix execs are pretty open to Marvel spinoffs from their main series of shows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Their subscriptions go up every time they have a new one, and so far they've also been critical darlings so they're definitely gonna chase that dollar.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Skwirl posted:

Their subscriptions go up every time they have a new one, and so far they've also been critical darlings so they're definitely gonna chase that dollar.

Yup. And unlike a regular network, they are not weighed down with scheduling. They can release the things whenever is best and be done with it, no need to worry about sacrificing prime time real estate or running against other shows. Netflix is probably the healthiest place for Marvel shows.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 18, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Honestly aside from maybe 2 of the 37 odd films Marvel has made, Daredevil and Jessica Jones are probably the best live action poo poo Marvel has ever produced.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if Agents of Shield sucking has to do with it being on regular tv instead of netflix.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if Agents of Shield sucking has to do with it being on regular tv instead of netflix.

I hate to be a jerk, but it is also the only Marvel show run by Whedon's company right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

I hate to be a jerk, but it is also the only Marvel show run by Whedon's company right?

Daredevil and Agents of Shield are both lead by Whedon alumni.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

There's too many reasons to list why it is a bad show but that's probably #1.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Network TV having a 22 odd episode limit means lots of wheel spinning and such so probably

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would be nice if the next Netflix one could manage 13 instead of 9 watered down though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol at thinking Agents of Shield is still bad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dexo posted:

Lol at thinking Agents of Shield is still bad

I haven't seen it since halfway through season 1 and maybe it has gotten good but I mean, is it as good as DD and JJ? I somehow doubt that. Both netflix shows were great in their first season while even AoS fans admit it took awhile to get going.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's no DD or JJ sure, but it got better to a bunch of people after the Winter Solider reveal and they were able to start actually start advancing plots. And stop talking around the villians. Ward also essentially went from the worst to the best character on the show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it would most definitely benefit from shorter seasons, but it's been consistently good despite that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno at least actually has seen every episode and just doesn't like it. I don't know about Lurdiak.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Not liking it is cool honestly, I dislike a ton of things that others like. Sometimes things just don't click for people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean the discussion was specifically "the Netflix model is good in part because you don't have to have 22 episodes with network mandated breaks" and that led to Lurdiak asking if that's why AoS "sucked" (in comparison to the Netflix shows).

I'm glad it has gotten good but at the very least some bullshit was pulled by the studio/network concerning AoS and as a result a good portion of it did suck. First and foremost locking it into a holding pattern until Winter Soldier came out. I still don't understand why they wouldn't just wait till WS premiered then to launch the series; or alternately just launch the "HYDRA has infiltrated us" storyline in the show and make it a nice crossover for the people who watch both the show and the movie.

But also the 22 episode order makes a lot of shows drag, especially when they have to plan major storyline climaxes around sweeps. If the show had just been a Netflix series, they could have dropped 10-12 episodes immediately after WS came out and I'm sure it would be considerably better.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean the discussion was specifically "the Netflix model is good in part because you don't have to have 22 episodes with network mandated breaks" and that led to Lurdiak asking if that's why AoS "sucked" (in comparison to the Netflix shows).

I'm glad it has gotten good but at the very least some bullshit was pulled by the studio/network concerning AoS and as a result a good portion of it did suck. First and foremost locking it into a holding pattern until Winter Soldier came out. I still don't understand why they wouldn't just wait till WS premiered then to launch the series; or alternately just launch the "HYDRA has infiltrated us" storyline in the show and make it a nice crossover for the people who watch both the show and the movie.

But also the 22 episode order makes a lot of shows drag, especially when they have to plan major storyline climaxes around sweeps. If the show had just been a Netflix series, they could have dropped 10-12 episodes immediately after WS came out and I'm sure it would be considerably better.

AoS has done a good job in seasons 2 and 3 (season 1 not so much) working around this by essentially structuring 22 episodes as 2 11 episode seasons with a short break in between.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

AoS is definitely much improved and splitting their seasons as mikeaskol mentioned is also helping. That said, there were some definite rough spots even then. The episode with the random villains was easily one of the dumbest things the show has done and was as bad as any bad season 1 episode. It also still feels like it meanders a bit in general.

Agent Carter is a much shorter series, even shorter than Netflix shows, and season 1 was still guilty of meandering a bit. I don't know if perhaps this was less noticeable in a binge watch though. That said, Agent Carter had much better, more interesting characters, than AoS.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it would most definitely benefit from shorter seasons, but it's been consistently good despite that

They essentially have short seasons now anyway, just as two eleven episode seasons in one year.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Madkal posted:

Network TV having a 22 odd episode limit means lots of wheel spinning and such so probably

While I agree with you (haven't watched AoS but this criticism applies to Season 1 of Flash), the same could be said about Jessica Jones. The only things that brought that show down for me was the narration - which they seemed to drop or minimize after a while - and the fact that they probably could have trimmed it down to 8 or 10 episodes and been better off.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
So both Flash and Carter come back tomorrow? Is there overlap or three hours of awesome?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Magneto Rex posted:

So both Flash and Carter come back tomorrow? Is there overlap or three hours of awesome?

The two shows don't overlap, but on top of that, ABC is running a Captain America special during Flash, and CW is running both Legends of Tomorrow and DC Movies specials during the first hour of Agent Carter so good luck if you don't have a DVR and you want ALL THE CONTENT tomorrow night...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know about Carter, or the specials, but most CW shows are watchable on their website the next day.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aside from the Jimmy/Lucy subplot, tonight's Supergirl actually did the character the stuff way better than the superhero stuff by far.

Also, the latest season preview for Flash has me pretty hyped.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

GLOSS posted:

The two shows don't overlap, but on top of that, ABC is running a Captain America special during Flash, and CW is running both Legends of Tomorrow and DC Movies specials during the first hour of Agent Carter so good luck if you don't have a DVR and you want ALL THE CONTENT tomorrow night...

I don't and I do. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GLOSS posted:

There's also hockey on. My DVR can't do that much at once.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

There's also hockey on. My DVR can't do that much at once.

Look at this nerd who wants to watch contact figure skating.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Rhyno posted:

Look at this nerd who wants to watch contact figure skating.

He's right though. B's vs Habs too! Damnit TV!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Squirrel Girl mini series getting closer to reality.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Johnathon Schaech will show up on Legends of Tomorrow as Jonah Hex.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Agent Carter seems a lot more interesting this time around. Good stuff. Flash was par for the course tonight.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Did anything happen during that Captain America special?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

notthegoatseguy posted:

They gave Jack Kirby a lot of credit and talked about the Secret Empire/Nixon, it was an informative 1 hr for someone who doesn't know that much about the history of comic books

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

They announced Steve is coming back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I also learned that Joe Simon lived to see the first Cap movie, which was pretty drat cool.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Whoever was in charge of a animating all those comic panels did a fine job.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
A Punisher series at this point probably is a foregone conclusion. Hopefully. I think it will be excellent if they pull from Garth Ennis's run like doing a Slavers mini series or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

They gave Jack Kirby a lot of credit and talked about the Secret Empire/Nixon, it was an informative 1 hr for someone who doesn't know that much about the history of comic books

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I totally didn't expect them to cover this. Amazing.