Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

philly owns, why would you leave sulk

i'm hoping to be back there in about six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kwinkles posted:

every turnstile is replaced with a 100-meter hallway finished with white subway tile

on the way in, you swipe your credit card

if it hasn't been approved by the time you walk to the end of the tunnel, you are shot by automated gun turrets

regularly spaced drains will allow the blood to clear so other passengers are not affected except when walking around the body of an undesirable noncredithaver

I forgot to reup my metrocard and the bus driver was cool with me not having the fare :coal:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cts: I ran after a bust that only comes every half hour this time of night for five blocks and he stopped instead of blazing through a green light. own zone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gonna call 311 for this guy for sure

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

theflyingexecutive posted:

cts: I ran after a bust that only comes every half hour this time of night for five blocks

so you're still getting over your ex?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
why the gently caress would anyone ever go to philadelphia when new york city is like, right there

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly owns. that's why

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

minivanmegafun posted:

I guess the only redeeming quality with the Ventra shift is that the CTA told Cubic to pound sand regarding paying for the shift until they managed to get payment rates up to 95%. it took over six months.

cubic :kimchi:

The source of like 90% of transitchat

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tanith posted:

so you're still getting over your ex?

heyoooooooo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

triple sulk posted:

philly owns. that's why

i lived in nyc and thats a negatory, ghostrider, phily is ballsssss.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Has there been much discussion about the various apps that each public transport service provides and how actually good they are? this is 9292.nl (the app and the website function pretty much the same)

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I use citynapper, its pretty nice depending on which city you live in. In London apparently the app can even recommend what part of the tube platform you should get on at.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

why the gently caress would anyone ever go to philadelphia when new york city is like, right there

triple sulk posted:

philly owns. that's why

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I liked the Moscow train system there were always trains running and they had a counter showing you another one would come in like 90 seconds or w.e also once at about 8 am I saw a still extremely drunk person tumble backwards down the hella steep escalators . wonder if they died

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Puppet Master posted:

Has there been much discussion about the various apps that each public transport service provides and how actually good they are? this is 9292.nl (the app and the website function pretty much the same)

http://m.mta.info/mt/www.mta.info is adequate but could probably use better route finding features. you dont need to calculate fares as the flat fare is the best feature of the nyc subway

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the LA metro trip planner is super super bad but thankfully they just gave all the data to google so you dont have to use it anymore

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the mbta has a pretty good api that i have used via a third party app before

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

helsinki's public transportation app/mobile site owns so hard and all the scheduling is updated in real time based on current conditions

you can also take a public bus from downtown helsinki to the airport for like €5 and they run super frequently from various parts of the city

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one time i put $20 on my tap card and then misplaced it. found it months later in my coat pocket #ownage #free_train

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the RTA has goroo.com but I don't think anyone uses it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one time I put $20 on a Charlie card and then when I went back to use it on another trip it turns out they steal your money if you don't use it after a certain time frame.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

minivanmegafun posted:

the RTA has goroo.com but I don't think anyone uses it

what's a good free iPhone train/bus tracker for the cta? I have a bunch of website trackers bookmarked but that seems dumb

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

what's a good free iPhone train/bus tracker for the cta? I have a bunch of website trackers bookmarked but that seems dumb

buster is dead (also it wasn't free) :( I still use it but the developer forgot to implement the calls in the BusTracker API for when routes are added or stops are moved, so it's stuck in the past. it does still work for any routes/stops that have existed for 4 years or so

transitStop is okay I guess, I'm not in love with it.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

one time I put $20 on a Charlie card and then when I went back to use it on another trip it turns out they steal your money if you don't use it after a certain time frame.

lol your city transport ui is a piece of poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

this is loving bullshit.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smythe posted:

this is loving bullshit.

it's Boston of course it's bullshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

this is loving bullshit.

public transit sux

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

bump_fn posted:

it's Boston of course it's bullshit
they literally named it after a guy who got stuck on one of their trains!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

lol your city transport ui is a piece of poo poo

at least it has an lcd screen

dc metro fare machines are just minor modifications to the original enormous machines from the 1970s and have 3 line monochromatic lcds

its amazing they can even take credit cards

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Leck posted:

the song about a dude getting stuck was a joke about a total "gently caress you" fare hike

they wanted to raise fares but they were unwilling to spend money to retrofit the fare collection machines. the solution was to make people pay a fare to get on, and then pay another fare to get off. that way they could use the same machine, double the fares, and double the pain in the rear end of using the train.

the joke in the song is that a dude got on the train with only one fare and got stuck forever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

at least it has an lcd screen

dc metro fare machines are just minor modifications to the original enormous machines from the 1970s and have 3 line monochromatic lcds

its amazing they can even take credit cards

i bet they take diner's club

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i mean look how loving enormous these fuckers are

and you can't buy the contactless cards from them, they have one or two separate machines that just do that

and if you run out of money on your contactless card before you exit a station, the only machine behind the gates you can use to add money to the card only accepts cash

this is the second largest mass transit subway system in the united states

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i bet they take diner's club

the ONLY thing good about them is they have almost no delay in the authorization for the credit/debit card transaction, it's almost too quick

luckily you can link a credit card with the contactless metro cards so i haven't used one of those awful machines in years except to help friends/tourists out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when cards auth too quick its sketchy cause they're probably storing the card details to actually auth later.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

when cards auth too quick its sketchy cause they're probably storing the card details to actually auth later.

im almost positive they are

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

i mean look how loving enormous these fuckers are

and you can't buy the contactless cards from them, they have one or two separate machines that just do that

and if you run out of money on your contactless card before you exit a station, the only machine behind the gates you can use to add money to the card only accepts cash

this is the second largest mass transit subway system in the united states

DC Metro is bigger than mbta? dang our ridership dumpsters yours last I looked

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

new York is obviously in a league of it is own

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

DC Metro is bigger than mbta? dang our ridership dumpsters yours last I looked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_rapid_transit_systems_by_ridership

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Leck posted:

je suis charliecard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm the excluded busiest line and other aspects of Boston mass transit lmao

• Locked thread