Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't mind the touch screen interface that much, but yeah it could absolutely use a speed up option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Didn't they also give World 2 Exdeath regen or something? I can live without bugs (though IIRC they removed Omega's weakness to Romeo's Ballad when that was intentional and a valid strategy), but that's just silly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Auto-Battle can be handy in certain situations but nothing beats turbo for when you get stuck with all berserkers and have to fight Sandworm 91 times.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

X and X-2 were a very different situation though. X's story had a true ending or at least it was intended to be that way. X-2 was an after thought. That was not the case for the XIII series as far as I am aware. I only mention this because I consider XIII to be the first in the FF series where sequels were planned by Square. One case doesn't really count as a philosophy or act as a good predictor for the future imo.

13's ending was supposed to be definitive as well. The direct sequels only came about after all the original FNC games fell in the toilet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXIII-2 hilariously opens with a direct magical retcon of FFXIII's ending.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tempo 119 posted:

13's ending was supposed to be definitive as well. The direct sequels only came about after all the original FNC games fell in the toilet.
FF13 is only the first act of an entire FNC story. In the past few pages someone mentioned the Ultimania says it was always meant to be a piece of the whole story line, and looking at FF13,13-2 and LR next to Type 0 you can get an idea of what FNC really meant to the directors and how FF13 is only an opening act of an entire FNC storyline.

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII-2 hilariously opens with a direct magical retcon of FFXIII's ending.
No one said FNC needed to be a good story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There is more stuff in XIII that foreshadows its sequels than I remember but I still don't think they had any solid plan when they made XIII. I mean, time travel? That reeks of some half-assed poo poo they cooked up with afterward. So maybe they had some vague ideas bobbing around for what to do with sequels but they winged the majority of it. That's my guess, anyway.

So I am right before the first Bart fight. My old nemesis. I am determined to 4-5 star it, hopefully within a handful of tries. I'm actually kind of enjoying Lightning's character this run so I'm cool with using her in my party the rest of the gae and I gotta figure out who the second and third slot will go to. My new-found appreciation for SAB means one spot will definitely go to Vanille or Fang. Lightning/Sazh/Vanille was what I tried and I thought it was a good team but the fights on the way to Bart made me realize something. I have no SEN and Sazh's Synergist Abilities are all offensive. Haste is good all-around of course and I'd love to have that but the fact is, I feel like damage output is not the problem. After all, with Hope's Protect and Shell and whatever else on us, we can deal more damage because we'll live longer without having to waste time healing.

Heh, I think I accidentally stumbled on a really good team in my first run. Snow brought high HP and SEN, Vanille brought SAB - even though I was dumb and never used it - and Hope brought magic power and protection. I'm tempted to just use them again. I mean, I have a better idea what I'm doing this time around. I could make better use of them.

e:
Beat him on my first attempt. Only 3 stars though, probably because I spent a lot of time making sure to re-buff myself. I really hate how this game punishes you for being smart. I don't have a clue why this fight gave me so much trouble in my first run. I could have sworn he has a big move that fucks you up and resets his chain gauge. I mean, it looked like he was charging up for something a couple times but you can knock him out of it. No idea why I didn't do that my first time playing XIII.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 21, 2016

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Final Fantasy VI is everything I could ever want in a Final Fantasy game, and the greatest game of all time...

...except for Final Fantasy IX.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Y'know, I'm glad that someone is playing through it for the first time. I didn't realize how jaded I was about Final Fantasy until the last run of FFVI I did just a few weeks ago after a long time away from it. Everything felt so fresh and new even though I knew the general layout of what I needed to do. It's a good game.

The pinnacle of Final Fantasy combat, as much as I don't very much like X or X-2, is X-2's combat. It's basically perfect. I don't mind FFXV's system, but it won't be the best in a series whose best entries were all turn/atb based. The same goes for my first impressions of FF7R's combat, but we'll have to, you know, get more actual information before jumping to conclusions.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

FF13 is only the first act of an entire FNC story. In the past few pages someone mentioned the Ultimania says it was always meant to be a piece of the whole story line, and looking at FF13,13-2 and LR next to Type 0 you can get an idea of what FNC really meant to the directors and how FF13 is only an opening act of an entire FNC storyline.

No one said FNC needed to be a good story.

FNC games share a universe but they don't directly follow on from each other. The story of Lightning and the fall of Cocoon is theoretically all wrapped up by the end of 13, just as the story of Class Zero and Orience is contained within Type-0.

It was only when things weren't working out (literally "we need to recoup costs by throwing something together out of existing assets") that they decided to stop waiting around for Versus and just have Lightning murder her way through the whole mythology at once.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tempo 119 posted:

FNC games share a universe but they don't directly follow on from each other. The story of Lightning and the fall of Cocoon is theoretically all wrapped up by the end of 13, just as the story of Class Zero and Orience is contained within Type-0.

It was only when things weren't working out (literally "we need to recoup costs by throwing something together out of existing assets") that they decided to stop waiting around for Versus and just have Lightning murder her way through the whole mythology at once.
I am on board that they had didn't have the details in place at FF13. But the 13 series and Type 0 share a similar arc of slaves to fate - trying to fix the world within the broken system - rebuilding the world to human centric outside of the system during apocalypse. Its just Type-0 gets it all out of the way in a single game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
As someone posted previously, the shared mythos of XIII was pretty much in place (Robo-gods and poo poo) - the actual narrative however, wasn't, and underwent tonnes of revisions, even as late as the voice acting stage.

It was always the plan to have sequels, but the individual stories are so disparate it's clear they were just doing whateverthefuck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Beat him on my first attempt. Only 3 stars though, probably because I spent a lot of time making sure to re-buff myself. I really hate how this game punishes you for being smart. I don't have a clue why this fight gave me so much trouble in my first run. I could have sworn he has a big move that fucks you up and resets his chain gauge. I mean, it looked like he was charging up for something a couple times but you can knock him out of it. No idea why I didn't do that my first time playing XIII.

Other than the ProudClad, and some Eidolons, every fight in FFXIII is best handled by going absolutely apeshit all over its face as much as possible.

Anybody who lived long enough into the Bart fight or other bosses for them to do their "Seriously, you've been fighting me for 10 minutes? No no no, rethink this whole strategy" attack deserved it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Nothing was more satisfying then Lightning doing 99999 damage to Bart in that first fight, taking him from half health to pretty much none. That game really, really wants you to go all out offensive.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Momomo posted:

Nothing was more satisfying then Lightning doing 99999 damage to Bart in that first fight, taking him from half health to pretty much none. That game really, really wants you to go all out offensive.

Or just use Lightning for every battle, every playthrough. :v:

... I might or might not be installing LR at this point.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

com increases damage, but the com ai also always prioritizes different targets. so if you're fighting a group you probably want the ais to be ravagers so they'll target whatever you're attacking. on single targets, like bosses, you can go ahead and have a bunch of coms because there's nothing else for them to target anyway and youll get the benefit of their passive damage boost

Was this actually confirmed? I mean passive damage bonus on non-COMs from having a COM in team sounds like something that wouldn't stack, so a non-COM will only get damage boost from one COM despite having two in active party, same with other bonuses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dasmause posted:

Was this actually confirmed? I mean passive damage bonus on non-COMs from having a COM in team sounds like something that wouldn't stack, so a non-COM will only get damage boost from one COM despite having two in active party, same with other bonuses

All role bonuses have a self bonus and a party bonus. The party bonus is less than the self bonus but all role bonuses stack. Incapacitated party members don't contribute (and if you summon only the summoner contributes.)

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The party bonus is less than the self bonus but all role bonuses stack.

So I heard, and game tells you about party bonus, but is stacking same bonuses mentioned in game, or did someone test it? Just curious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dasmause posted:

So I heard, and game tells you about party bonus, but is stacking same bonuses mentioned in game, or did someone test it? Just curious

It's been tested and confirmed, yeah, it's something that low-level stuff takes advantage of because it can be significant. Not every role responds the same way though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Role bonus stacking is basically THE reason why RAV/RAV/RAV is such a drat good paradigm. Otherwise there'd be little reason to use it over COM/RAV/RAV or SAB/RAV/RAV.

Similar thing with SEN/SEN/SEN though that's post-game only poo poo most people aren't going to think about.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It's been tested and confirmed, yeah, it's something that low-level stuff takes advantage of because it can be significant. Not every role responds the same way though.

Oh that's great then
For some reason if some mechanic isn't explained completely in a game I can't enjoy it as much so I start researching about a game more than actually playing it

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

(though IIRC they removed Omega's weakness to Romeo's Ballad when that was intentional and a valid strategy)

They didn't, it still works just fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Other than the ProudClad, and some Eidolons, every fight in FFXIII is best handled by going absolutely apeshit all over its face as much as possible.

Anybody who lived long enough into the Bart fight or other bosses for them to do their "Seriously, you've been fighting me for 10 minutes? No no no, rethink this whole strategy" attack deserved it.

I dunno what I was supposed to do. Threw one off my Librascopes at him to get all info immediately, took out his other parts and then kept hitting him relentlessly with COM/RAV/RAV and had Vanille throw some debuffs on him while he was staggered. He barely did any real damage so I only took very scattered breaks to heal up.

Maybe I should have used RAV/RAV/RAV at some point but I wasn't sure going in how much he'd hurt me and I didn'twant to lose the stagger because I had to spend time healing.

Was I supposed to be able to beat him before he even started charging up for Destrudo or whatever it was?

One problem is I can't tell what the stupid pictures mean. I just saw Vanille got two debuffs on him and it was taking way too long so once she had a couple...somethings on him, I switched her over to attacking. Maybe I should have waited and she would have gotten better ones on him and he'd have died sooner. I think I'm gonna definitely control her or Fang, whoever I settle on as my SAB. I can't rely on the AI here.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 21, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Don't use Com/Rav/Rav, use Rav/Rav/Sab. Saboteur raises the stagger gauge along with making sure it doesn't fall, so it's a lot better to sub a Commando in for one.

Also, always take the opportunity to use Smite, even if you have to pause between attacking a bit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Momomo posted:

Don't use Com/Rav/Rav, use Rav/Rav/Sab. Saboteur raises the stagger gauge along with making sure it doesn't fall, so it's a lot better to sub a Commando in for one.

Also, always take the opportunity to use Smite, even if you have to pause between attacking a bit.

I know about SAB's effect on the gauge but for bosses, none of those debuffs are likely to work unless they're staggered. So wouldn't it just be wastig time I could otherwise spend beating them with COM? I know you do insignificant damage before they're staggered but it's still better than wasting time trying moves that won't work.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Even if they don't work, they're still going to raise the gauge faster. In fact, it's almost better that they don't happen as often, because then the AI will just keep spamming them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Outside of sharing some names and concepts, how is Type 0 connected to the XIII games? Is Type 0 meant to be a really distant prequel or something if they're meant to be the same universe?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Outside of sharing some names and concepts, how is Type 0 connected to the XIII games? Is Type 0 meant to be a really distant prequel or something if they're meant to be the same universe?

Yeah basically FF13 and Type-0 are two different attempts by fal'Cie to revive God, in different places and times. The only character to appear in both is Gilgamesh.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 21, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Yeah basically FF13 and Type-0 are two different attempts by fal'Cie to revive God, in different places and times. The only character to appear in both is Gilgamesh.

I see. I guess it'd have to be a distant prequel because the ending of Lightning Returns would make it very difficult for the game to be a distant sequel.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I see. I guess it'd have to be a distant prequel because the ending of Lightning Returns would make it very difficult for the game to be a distant sequel.

Happened in a weird pocket universe. It's basically cocoon II, but this time they made a whole tiny universe instead of just a weird space moon planet

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They share plot and thematic elements, not universes. Its not a groundbreaking concept.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It literally doesn't matter either way because they're so disconnected but I prefer to think of it all as one continuity because it's conceptually simple and I don't like when game worlds are built to sustain exactly one adventure

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I did as recommended and unlocked COM for Hope but I dunno, I like keeping him as a RAV. I tried COM/COM/RAV against Cid when he was staggered and he recovered and killed me with some big charge up move I missed because I'm dumb. But on my second try, I utterly annihilated him. I made sure to get Deprotect, Deshell and Imperil on him when he was staggered and then went to town with RAV Hope, RAV Vanille and COM Snow. His HP vanished in a couple seconds. So it seems to me Deshell + Imperil + two Ravagers is a very potent combination. This was the easiest boss fight all game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The only reason to give Hope COM is because he conveniently gets his better attack option (that is, Ruin over Attack) in one node and it grants access to Cerberus in the same party as his buffing. Similar deal to with Fang and RAV.

E: Not to say that's a bad reason at all, just if you're not using Cerberus you won't see much of a point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tempo 119 posted:

It literally doesn't matter either way because they're so disconnected but I prefer to think of it all as one continuity because it's conceptually simple and I don't like when game worlds are built to sustain exactly one adventure

Why are you a final fantasy fan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tempo 119 posted:

I prefer to think of it all as one continuity because it's conceptually simple

As opposed to just accepting that different stories have different settings?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final fantasy 10 is the future of Final fantasy 7 because the lifestream and farpla-

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Tae posted:

Final fantasy 10 is the future of Final fantasy 7 because the lifestream and farpla-

Actually Final Fantasy 7 is the future of Final Fantasy X-2 because of Shinra and and and-

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As opposed to just accepting that different stories have different settings?

If I said to you they're in the same universe but in different places then you'd know roughly what to expect, some things are the same but the events don't cross over

When you try to incorporate the idea (which I'm still not convinced is accurate or necessary) that the connection isn't literal, it just raises endless questions about what's the same, what's different, and how is that connection different from any other arbitrary group of FF games

corn in the bible posted:

Why are you a final fantasy fan.

What the gently caress kind of question is this, most FF games manage to incorporate some kind of breadth and history to their world. Obviously. FF13 shows you very little of what's clearly a very large and diverse planet, you could do tons there. It takes very little to imagine flying around to the other side of Pulse and finding the ruins of Orience or whatever. FF6-9 all effectively insinuate much bigger spaces than you can actually visit. The history and politics of FF8 and FF12 are literally more interesting than the main plots.

On the other hand FF10 is pretty bad for this, kind of ironically since what's in front of you is so well realised. The pilgrimage covers one road between 2 nations and yet the game does everything it can to reinforce that there's nothing else out there, especially the sequel where the shackles are off and you're still flying your airship up and down the same street. That's why it's so savagely disappointing every time they try to revisit Spira and go straight back to the Tidus/Sin/Fayth well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Are you saying...A Final fantasy game reused a name!?