Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Snowy posted:

I thought someone earlier had said the Chuck Tingle books actually had terrible sales numbers.

Do you consider 60k to be terrible sales numbers? For a publishing company, yeah that sucks like a Chuck Tingle character, but for a self-publisher it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do you consider 60k to be terrible sales numbers? For a publishing company, yeah that sucks like a Chuck Tingle character, but for a self-publisher it's pretty good.

No that sounds pretty good, I thought it was more like everybody like the covers and nobody actually pays for anything. Glad he's got some cash coming in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I dunno, at the sheer volume of his bibliography, that's not too many sold copies.

I know those AMAs are probably a gag by Tingle, but part of me wants to believe that he really is a mentally handicapped man that enjoys his writing, and has his care giver son edit and publish for him. It's kind of sweet really.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Choco1980 posted:

I dunno, at the sheer volume of his bibliography, that's not too many sold copies.

I have sat here for the last 3 hours browsing the internet. If I were Chuck Tingle I would have used this time to write a book, design the cover, and upload the finished product.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Just so I'm clear here:

1. This guy wrote a book where someone gets hosed in the rear end by their own butt.
2. There is a sequel in which the author of the first book is hosed by his own first hand account of getting hosed by his butt, which has somehow come to life?
3. Then the book that he wrote about that experience comes to life and fucks (in the butt) him as well?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

yes

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's buttfucking all the way down

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just so I'm clear here:

1. This guy wrote a book where someone gets hosed in the rear end by their own butt.
2. There is a sequel in which the author of the first book is hosed by his own first hand account of getting hosed by his butt, which has somehow come to life?
3. Then the book that he wrote about that experience comes to life and fucks (in the butt) him as well?

Its really not that difficult. The upcoming fourth book should be fantastic.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

It's a real life version of that Dwarf Fortress Hamburger of the Apocalypse and he's going to keep going until God has to reset the Universe.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just so I'm clear here:

Imagine four butts on the edge of a cliff...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

One time I wrote a terrible "book" (6 pages or so) like the Tingle books to see if anyone would buy it and I don't think anyone has but Amazon keeps direct depositing small amounts of money around $1 in my account every month. If I make money on no sales he must just be rolling in cash.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Kheldarn posted:

Imagine four butts on the edge of a cliff...

Pounding works the same way.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Honestly Chuck Tingle is probably an actual guy, just based on the madness that is his twitter account. I don't think someone could keep a fake identity going that consistently for that long. Most of the things he says in the interview/twitter are all pretty textbook autism/schizophrenia things, so it's believable enough.

Note - his twitter account is a lot less amusing than you'd think and more just sad and concerning so maybe don't look at it if you want a good time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RFC2324 posted:

Pretty sure you can do this in skyrim, but it's even more boring as a single player.
I had to basically stop playing Skyrim because I found I'd accidentally given up on adventuring and become a travelling potion salesman. I'd pick up whatever alchemy ingredients I found, then think "I'll just head to the nearest alchemist's shop and make some potions." So I'd go there and use up all my ingredients and sell most of the potions I made, then think "May as well buy out their inventory while I'm here." So I'd turn all that stuff into potions, only the shop was out of money, so I'd go to the alchemist's in the next town over to sell them. An hour later I'm still wandering from town to town buying ingredients and selling potions.

OctoberBlues posted:

One time I wrote a terrible "book" (6 pages or so) like the Tingle books to see if anyone would buy it and I don't think anyone has but Amazon keeps direct depositing small amounts of money around $1 in my account every month. If I make money on no sales he must just be rolling in cash.
Are you sure no one's buying it? Because I don't think Amazon would pay you for nothing.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Chuck Tingle is real. Just like love is real for all who kiss.

but the persona is clearly fake

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dienes posted:

Its really not that difficult. The upcoming fourth book should be fantastic.

Pounded in the Butt By A Pound-Sterling Note In Butte Montana

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Are you sure no one's buying it? Because I don't think Amazon would pay you for nothing.

I looked again and I guess they pay you small amounts if people with Kindle Unlimited read it even though they're not technically buying it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I had to basically stop playing Skyrim because I found I'd accidentally given up on adventuring and become a travelling potion salesman. I'd pick up whatever alchemy ingredients I found, then think "I'll just head to the nearest alchemist's shop and make some potions." So I'd go there and use up all my ingredients and sell most of the potions I made, then think "May as well buy out their inventory while I'm here." So I'd turn all that stuff into potions, only the shop was out of money, so I'd go to the alchemist's in the next town over to sell them. An hour later I'm still wandering from town to town buying ingredients and selling potions.

Is that viable money-wise? It's probably because I never leveled alchemy that much, but my potions never sold for much. Could you turn a profit buying out the stock and selling it back in bottle form?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The strangest thing about all of this is that Jon appears to be his biological son. I wonder if his mental illness was adult onset? If not, what kind of woman would have sex with this man, he seems so simple he's almost childlike.

Assuming for a moment that it is all real: The son claims his father has schizophrenia. In men the average age of onset is 16-25, which leaves plenty of time to knock a lady up before boarding the train to crazytown. It doesn't seem like schizophrenia could be all that is wrong with him though, he does seem a little simple. There is no way to know if he was always slow, or it was a side effect of his treatment or maybe even an unrelated head injury or something.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Is that viable money-wise? It's probably because I never leveled alchemy that much, but my potions never sold for much. Could you turn a profit buying out the stock and selling it back in bottle form?

Like many economic endeavors, it does take a bit of cash outlay to get going, and more exotic materials make it work better, but the answer is yes.

I try to limit my abuse of it though. A simple Adventure->Sell loot->Buy all the alchemy materials in town->Make potions->Sell potions->Adventure cycle makes for a nice change of pace between killing things and walking to places.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale you literally play as an RPG shop owner.

Unfortunately there are also actual dungeon crawling RPGing bits as well, which you pretty much have to do if you want to make enough money to keep up with the repayments on your shop.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Hyperlynx posted:

Unfortunately there are also actual dungeon crawling RPGing bits as well, which you pretty much have to do if you want to make enough money to keep up with the repayments on your shop.

Only if you follow the terrible tutorial and haggle, which causes you to get no merchant experience and makes it take a long time to upgrade your shop and buy better items.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

what determines whether or not mr. tingle is "real?" does he have to be unaware of the humor of his books? chuck tingle is as real as you or i, even if he's actually a woman who works in accounting.

Hyperlynx posted:

there's also "weapon shop de omasse" on 3ds where you are a blacksmith in an rpg (imo it is also a better game)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
yes, Virginia, there is a Tingle

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hyperlynx posted:

Check out Shoppe Keep, it's pretty easy (protip, grow and sell weed, seriously) but it's a fun time waster.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Zinkraptor posted:

Note - his twitter account is a lot less amusing than you'd think and more just sad and concerning so maybe don't look at it if you want a good time.

very troubling

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

theflyingorc posted:

yes, Virginia, there is a Tingle

Pounded in the butt are special words
do not steal them!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

china bot posted:

very troubling

Well yeah, but then you get to the tweets where he talks about how much he wants to cut off his skin and his constant hallucinations and it's not really as funny anymore.

I dunno, I've known a few people like that in my life so maybe it just hits a little close to home.

Zinkraptor has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jan 21, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It might be an American thing, but I don't get why this is funny at all.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Memento posted:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's funny for at least three different reasons.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Memento posted:

The date is wrong. Today is a wednesday but his birthday is only observed on mondays. And there's a crown because his name is king and for no other reason?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Canemacar posted:

If you used the alchemy/enchanting feedback loop, you could do this:

I loved how easy it was to completely break Skyrim, it was the only thing which kept me coming back to the game - seeing just how completely I could break it over my knee. You could make insanely ridiculous stuff like potions which could paralyse someone for a real time month and weapons which could one-shot anything.

Also, selling just one potion for 419641792 gold would instantly level your speech to the max level :haw:

china bot posted:

very troubling

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I loved how easy it was to completely break Skyrim, it was the only thing which kept me coming back to the game - seeing just how completely I could break it over my knee. You could make insanely ridiculous stuff like potions which could paralyse someone for a real time month and weapons which could one-shot anything.

I almost feel like the devs let you do stuff like that on purpose. I played Skyrim only casually, and never ran into any game breaking bugs or ways to cheese the crafting system like that, because I mostly just wanted to finish the story and a few side quests. But I'm sure if I spent more time thinking of crazy loopholes, I could. It's almost like they are allowing you to roleplay a mad scientist. Remember the NPC who made the ultra powerful jumping (flying) potion in Morrowind? They are basically letting you be that guy.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/686582047532437504

I am enjoying this twitter feed

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Check out Shoppe Keep, it's pretty easy (protip, grow and sell weed, seriously) but it's a fun time waster.

Haha. Maybe not.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/381120/announcements/detail/58911727096255986

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I checked myself, but you can still put it in your cart, so...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Normal Woody head instead of the Pervert Woody revoltech head, 3/10 :colbert:.

• Locked thread