Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I mentioned a meme from the China LAN thread in the Line chat, so here's a link to what I was referring to.

I was tempted to call Pandemonium our Facepalm Ranger, but I don't think they're comparable:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549109&pagenumber=514&perpage=40#post432960276

regarding: "finding a woman to dent my iPhone" and "11 rmb/hr".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Barto posted:

...whom you caused to weep.

It's three dates. I didn't know she was so invested that telling her I was moving in a few months would make her cry. Geez.

Moon Slayer posted:

Speaking of having dinner with nice ladies, I'm meeting up with that coworker I mentioned this weekend.

Good thing you made that post saying how you were totally kidding about asking her out. And all the other posters sure must feel grand saying how they were totally in on your facetious post and I was being a weeny for taking you seriously. God, I love this thread now!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

One of those posts was a lie. This post is a lie, too.

EDIT: I've never actually lived in Taiwan :ghost:

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 20, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Barto posted:

...whom you caused to weep.

I think he likes it better that way :ssh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How did you meet this very attractive girl? Was she sitting in a bar?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think we can safely assume he doesn't work with her. I'm sure he did the chivalrous thing and quit before asking her out.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Honestly what's so bad about dating a co-worker? If it's true love and you end up married and spending the rest of your lives together happily then that definitely outweighs any social stigma against it imho

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

khysanth posted:

Honestly what's so bad about dating a co-worker? If it's true love and you end up married and spending the rest of your lives together happily then that definitely outweighs any social stigma against it imho

Cram schools usually have fairly small staffs and you see and interact with the same people for long hours every day. If everything goes well, you risk alienating the rest of the staff because they don't want to see you guys making kissy eyes at each other all the time, or in a best-case-worst-case scenario, you are overtly affectionate to each other and it makes things awkward/uncomfortable/inappropriate for everyone else. Worst case scenario, things go sour and one or the other of you can't behave like an adult and turns the work place toxic. It's not so much about a stigma as it is about loving up an office. If you date your coteacher for instance and you break up and she's not happy about it, then your classrooms can potentially turn into a battleground. The branch manager is going to have to gently caress with someone's hours and shuffle things around and then everyone else is pissed because it has ramifications for the rest of the office. Or maybe the Taiwanese staff member is in charge of marking papers or making sure your students do their assignments. As petty revenge, she chooses not to do it. Now you and the school look bad because you don't have scores for parents. Or there's the case where things are fine post breakup but then one of the ex-couple goes and dates another coworker and the other ex feels betrayed and the otherwise fine relationship between the coworkers who didn't date is hosed up.

Basically lots can go wrong. That doesn't mean you should absolutely never do it. If you spend 4 hours a day with someone and discover you have a lot in common or really like being in each other's company, then have a mature conversation as adults and be willing to accept the fact that you might not make a good romantic match and have a plan or agreement for that eventuality. Of course, we're mostly talking about male English teachers in Asia with all of the baggage that description carries and girls who are frequently still in or just out of college, with the big caveat that a lot of (not all, just many) Taiwanese don't start dating until college or after, so this is potentially a first relationship for them.

There are the English idioms, "Don't stick your pen in the company ink," and, "Don't poo poo wear you eat," for a reason. But I think the implication in both is that you're loving around, not seriously trying to date a person.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 21, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want to be on the record as saying that hooking up with people from work is a really bad idea, or any kind of cohert like a grad school cohert or a volunteer group or something.

However, I fully support Moon Slayer in his quest for happiness and wish him the best in his chase of his co-worker.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Basically lots can go wrong. That doesn't mean you should absolutely never do it.

duckfarts posted:

WHICH TEAM ARE YOU ON

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Cram schools usually have fairly small staffs and you see and interact with the same people for long hours every day. If everything goes well, you risk alienating the rest of the staff because they don't want to see you guys making kissy eyes at each other all the time, or in a best-case-worst-case scenario, you are overtly affectionate to each other and it makes things awkward/uncomfortable/inappropriate for everyone else. Worst case scenario, things go sour and one or the other of you can't behave like an adult and turns the work place toxic. It's not so much about a stigma as it is about loving up an office. If you date your coteacher for instance and you break up and she's not happy about it, then your classrooms can potentially turn into a battleground. The branch manager is going to have to gently caress with someone's hours and shuffle things around and then everyone else is pissed because it has ramifications for the rest of the office. Or maybe the Taiwanese staff member is in charge of marking papers or making sure your students do their assignments. As petty revenge, she chooses not to do it. Now you and the school look bad because you don't have scores for parents. Or there's the case where things are fine post breakup but then one of the ex-couple goes and dates another coworker and the other ex feels betrayed and the otherwise fine relationship between the coworkers who didn't date is hosed up.

Basically lots can go wrong. That doesn't mean you should absolutely never do it. If you spend 4 hours a day with someone and discover you have a lot in common or really like being in each other's company, then have a mature conversation as adults and be willing to accept the fact that you might not make a good romantic match and have a plan or agreement for that eventuality. Of course, we're mostly talking about male English teachers in Asia with all of the baggage that description carries and girls who are frequently still in or just out of college, with the big caveat that a lot of (not all, just many) Taiwanese don't start dating until college or after, so this is potentially a first relationship for them.

There are the English idioms, "Don't stick your pen in the company ink," and, "Don't poo poo wear you eat," for a reason. But I think the implication in both is that you're loving around, not seriously trying to date a person.

This right here is the correct opinion. Bugger the other posters who think there is nothing wrong with dating your coworker and further bugger those that think that doing so is exactly the same as dating someone you met because of a hobby or activity or someone you met at a bar or club or whatever. They are wildly different scenarios, all of them, and you're dumb if you think they are comparable. Or else trolling. Trolling very poorly.

The girl I was going on dates with I met while playing sports.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

I want to be on the record as saying that hooking up with people from work is a really bad idea, or any kind of cohert like a grad school cohert or a volunteer group or something.

However, I fully support Moon Slayer in his quest for happiness and wish him the best in his chase of his co-worker.

There is so some serious cognitive dissonance here.

"X is bad, and I think people would be better off not doing it. However, I wish this person I know on this internet forum the best of luck in his pursuit of X."

And let me go on the record here as saying I think the issue is more with the naive Taiwanese girls than the guys when it comes to interoffice romance. And the fact that schools are often more intimate working spaces than offices.

On a related note, some friends and I have had this conversation before, and I'll just open it up to the great posters in this thread to see what wrong opinions they have. On average, how many years do you subtract off a Taiwanese person's age to arrive at their maturity level? We can never agree on a number, but it usually hovers around 5. So if a girl or guy here is 20, then that means they possess the maturity of a 15(ish) year old. Of course, what we are really saying is they act like a person in the West who is 5 years younger than them. This formula is not applicable to those Taiwanese who have moved out of their parents' house or who have lived abroad for let's arbitrarily say a year or more because six months isn't long enough.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What sport were you playing?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

What sport were you playing?

That one that they play in Vietnam and Thailand that is like volleyball but you use your feet instead of your hands.

Just kidding, I was playing basketball.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The key issue of dating coworkers anywhere is that if you have a bad break you can't separate from that person. You can't get the space you need to cool off, and so it's just constant lashing out at each other, or spreading poo poo at work. Also, here in Taiwan, where interpersonal relationships are very important (or so I'm told), it can bring the whole works crashing down. So yeah, dating coworkers is not the best idea.

But enough of that. When is the appropriate time to decorate my apartment for CNY? If I bring some ladies over, I don't want them to think I'm tempting the Nian monster or whatever.

Pandemonium posted:

"X is bad, and I think people would be better off not doing it. However, I wish this person I know on this internet forum the best of luck in his pursuit of X."

Said by Something Awful forums user Pandemonium.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

It's not cognitive dissonance you immense goon.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now I'm hung up on the mental image of a grown man fiendishly dunking on a Taiwanese woman and then going :smugdog: "Sorry lady, try not to cry like a little baby about it."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Careful, he might be too colonial for basketball metaphors.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pandemonium is the anti-Haier

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

On a related note, some friends and I have had this conversation before, and I'll just open it up to the great posters in this thread to see what wrong opinions they have. On average, how many years do you subtract off a Taiwanese person's age to arrive at their maturity level? We can never agree on a number, but it usually hovers around 5. So if a girl or guy here is 20, then that means they possess the maturity of a 15(ish) year old. Of course, what we are really saying is they act like a person in the West who is 5 years younger than them. This formula is not applicable to those Taiwanese who have moved out of their parents' house or who have lived abroad for let's arbitrarily say a year or more because six months isn't long enough.

Ok finally something more tangent to Taiwan. I hope all those twenty year olds who live with their parents smack you with a sun flower. Or maybe stab you with a yellow umbrella. Lots of young people in Taiwan are very concerned about the future Taiwan and have the capacity to change its future. To judge their maturity based on living with parents or moving abroad is just a slap on the face of Taiwan's blossoming democratic system. Even when you don't agree on the same relationship dating values.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Pandemonium is the anti-Haier

Both trolling.

Oh and I think I'm going gay. Is homosexual marriage legal yet?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

This is incredibly racist, demeaning, and condescending.
Why can't you be a civilized person like Haier?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

caberham posted:

Both trolling.

Oh and I think I'm going gay. Is homosexual marriage legal yet?

Should be soon, Taiwan just elected its first gay president

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Also lol at pandemonium thinking he's better than all the other skeezy expats and then making a post only the skeeziest of expats would make

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

quadrophrenic posted:

Also lol at pandemonium thinking he's better than all the other skeezy expats and then making a post only the skeeziest of expats would make

There is so some serious cognitive dissonance here. Your powers of comparison are weak, and your logic is lacking. But I am not looking for validation from the ESL crew here, so it's all good. Your crews consist of 哈洋 boys and girls. That's not very nice, bro. You don't even speak Chinese.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

Not even the skeeziest of expats, the skeeziest of FOBs.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Now I'm hung up on the mental image of a grown man fiendishly dunking on a Taiwanese woman and then going :smugdog: "Sorry lady, try not to cry like a little baby about it."

Who said she was playing? I don't remember the last time I saw a mixed game of douniu. The courts I play at have one or two baskets reserved for girls. Please don't jump to conclusions.

quadrophrenic posted:

Which post was that? I'm assuming in your goon brain that all my posts are like that.

caberham posted:

Ok finally something more tangent to Taiwan. I hope all those twenty year olds who live with their parents smack you with a sun flower. Or maybe stab you with a yellow umbrella. Lots of young people in Taiwan are very concerned about the future Taiwan and have the capacity to change its future. To judge their maturity based on living with parents or moving abroad is just a slap on the face of Taiwan's blossoming democratic system. Even when you don't agree on the same relationship dating values.

Lol at this guy making a post about maturity level into some political bullshit. Maturity level has nothing to do with politics, you big goober. Did I even remotely mention politics? That's a super bad post. I'm talking about the mentality of a significant section of the population, not political activism. Do you even live in Taiwan? Do you even know what 撒嬌 and 娃娃音 are and the prevalance of both in the 20-30 year old age range--not high school or college students, but 上班族, ffs? :lol: if you want to suggest that the above are not common cultural identifiers/markers of Taiwanese (and Chinese) girls. :lol: if you think recognizing them as such means you think literally every girl evidences them. Please don't take generalizations literally, thanks. And please don't shoehorn in random unrelated--or tenuously related at best--poo poo to make your dumb point, thanks. (I love the above, btw, because I use them to limit my dating pool and bond with the opposite sex. Nothing gets my heart racing like a girl telling me how much she detests other girls who 撒嬌. 100% serious here).

Also, lol at "blossoming democratic system" only occurring recently. 阿便 was elected twice. 馬英九 was elected twice. Just huge amounts of :lol: at your post for implicitly saying that those elections were somehow not democratic and only now is Taiwan becoming a democracy. It's been a democracy since the 90s, my word.

And :lol: at the people calling me racist. I have these conversations with Taiwanese, you big ignorami/uses. Taiwanese who have lived abroad, studied abroad, have more global perspectives, and/or have a streak of independence about them. I comically point out the immaturity of their peers; they viciously point it out. To put it mildly, they are extremely incensed by the immaturity of their peers. So this is not a group of foreigners circle-jerking. Sorry if you got that impression. Oh, and I'm sorry if their opinion doesn't conform to your expectations of Taiwanese people. Now whose the racist(s)?

No idea who Haier is, sorry.

Oh, and please correct me if I misused cognitive dissonance. Is that post not two expressing two conflicting ideas that are simultaneously existing in someone's brain? "X is bad" is the one, and "but it's okay if you do X/someone I know does X because reasons" is the other. What is that, then?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Update on the girl: got a LINE just now that she loves me and can't bear to have me leave. After three dates. My god, I'm glad I got out before I got in any deeper.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Update on the coworker: she said she couldn't wait to see me until the weekend so we just had lunch. She professed her undying love to me after about five minutes but I can't be tied down, man. Made her cry but it's cool I'll just not talk to her at work anymore. Wonder if the other girl she works with in the office is single.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's not quite cognitive dissonance since there's no element of self deception. He knows it's typically a bad idea but he wishes the guy the best all the same even if he personally has reservations or wouldn't engage in the behavior.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
If pandemonium ever stops posting, it will truly be a sad day for comedy

spoilers: it's me, i'm the girl on line that loves you :love::love::love:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium, please insert more Chinese into your posts, I need to learn Mandarin v badly and you're my only hope.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Serious question, Pandemonium, how long have you lived in Taiwan?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
If you could write a 1500 character essay (in Chinese) on the prevalence of 娃娃音 in modern Taiwanese society, it would surely help the thread understand your feelings. Bonus points if at least one section is written in Hakka.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What encoding do you use for Hakka circles?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yo pandemonium I was agreeing with you that you shouldn't date co-workers. You're right. I was just saying that I wish the guy well in his happiness and chase, because who am I to judge someone else or wish someone ill-will?

It's like when someone says "hey I'm going to watch 'couple's retreat'" and I say "that was the worst movie I've ever seen and I hated it more than anything, but if you really choose to watch it then good luck and i hope you are happy with that decision"

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

TetsuoTW posted:

Pandemonium, 請 insert more 中文 into your posts, I need to learn Mandarin 很 badly and you're my only 願望.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

TetsuoTW posted:

What encoding do you use for Hakka circles?

Hakka circles use a super special Dutch encoding, for some reason :downs:
http://taigi.fhl.net/TaigiIME/

Pandemonium posted:

Why won't you join my pity party guys? These girls I meet have never met a foreigner before, let alone had a conversation with one. I know, you would think they would have all had a run-in or two by now, but a lot of people still only see us as visages walking down streets. Or in bars and nightclubs.

Pandemonium posted:

Directionless college grads at the gym trying to figure out the best way to hit on their English-less co-teacher (true--and disgusting--story), or even more directionless 20- and 30- and 40-somethings living the same alcohol-fueled life for the better part of a decade, if not more. You'll have to excuse me: I am turning into one of those cynical ex-pats, and I am only a tender 26 years of age.

Pandemonium posted:

If I was in a long-term relationship I might also be able to casually dismiss this nonsense. Unfortunately for me, I have to spend way more time than I would like--which is ideally none--"proving" to girls that I am not a creep like the guys they hear about or read about.

Not much has changed since 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
btw, just to serious post for a second because I'm really starting to think you don't understand basic people skills:

we both acknowledge that most of the time dating your coworker is a messy affair, and wish Moon Slayer the best in his endeavors because we're his friend. We're all friends here. We talk to each other on LINE, we hang out in real life, we're generally quite affable to each other. Being a weird dick to someone out of nowhere is not something you do to your friends. A friend is a person you generally enjoy being around and talking to for recreation. So it's not so much your message, but your tone that we find so jarring and unintentionally hilarious.

do you have friends? are you a dick to them for no apparent reason? please answer in chinese.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 21, 2016